JWP for England...

Saint-Armstrong

Ryan Bertrand left out, again. Luke Shaw, Leighton Baines and Kieran Gibbs all included.

Luke Shaw - underwhelming season, sick note. Good player obviously, but hasn't done much.

Baines - injured, has only just come back....

Gibbs - reserve at Arsenal.

Bertrand - best most consistent left back in the league.

Not really hard is it for most managers?

Absolute madness. He isn't ready and its this kind of thing that gives players a warped sense of reality.

IMO Mason has been far more impressive and dynamic this season.

JWP obviously good and has a lot of potential, but this is too much too soon and not deserved through performances this season. Especially when you think how consistently class the likes of Lambert, Lallana and Clyne were to earn a chance.

If he can't get in our side, he shouldn't be getting in the England squad.

He is competing against Schneiderlin and Wanyama for a CM spot, and has been getting a good amount of game time in AM roles for someone his age towards the top of the league. If Schneiderlin or Wanyama were English they would also be getting call-ups.

Decent player yes but International quality? Not for me...yet anyway

What do you mean by "international quality"? I'm guessing you actually mean "England international quality" as there are huge variations in the abilities of international footballers.

After reading that article, if Hodgson leaves out all Liverpool players because he thinks they need a rest it's a f*cking disgrace.

Oh, but come on. Liverpool are revolutionary, they are re-designing English football as we see it. They've got a huge goal to reach in the top 4, so I'm sure an arrangement will have to be made.

etc.

Cue the tap up ******** ad infinitum.

He is good enough, just out of form. So its a strange time to call him up in a way. Not that Im overly concerned by the call up. We should be doing much more to get some youngsters big game emgland experience, and there is a bit of a surge for young english players coming through right now.

That said, Forster, Clyne and Bertrand should be absolute dead certs for an england berth.

Plus Ive been saying for years on here that International strategy is to call up players in 'groups' over individual form. Not that its ever listened too :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

After reading that article, if Hodgson leaves out all Liverpool players because he thinks they need a rest it's a f*cking disgrace.

yeah bit of a joke resting Liverpool players but no one else's players. Personally don't want any of our players anywhere near the England set up at the moment.

Luke Shaw - underwhelming season, sick note. Good player obviously, but hasn't done much.

Baines - injured, has only just come back....

Gibbs - reserve at Arsenal.

Bertrand - best most consistent left back in the league.

Not really hard is it for most managers?

Totally agree with you - How in the world Bertrand is fourth in that list of hodgson's preference is utterly bizzare.

Totally agree with you - How in the world Bertrand is fourth in that list of hodgson's preference is utterly bizzare.

It is bizzare. I feel sorry for Bertrand but the fewer of our players spending time with Hodgon's England the better. Incredible he kept his job after the World Cup and I was insensed that he didn't have the honour to at least offer his resignation. I used to be passionate about England but now I spend my time hoping we lose. What a joke :(

It is bizzare. I feel sorry for Bertrand but the fewer of our players spending time with Hodgon's England the better. Incredible he kept his job after the World Cup and I was insensed that he didn't have the honour to at least offer his resignation. I used to be passionate about England but now I spend my time hoping we lose. What a joke :(

There really is a strong case for giving Roy the gold watch and wishing him well. If it's him who thinks JWP is good enough to play for England then maybe hold the watch and just wish him farewell.

What the f**k does this sentence even say? What the hell? Why is the standard of English and proofreading so p*ss poor in most newspapers and online media (inc. the BBC)??

"[h=2]Reds have played more games this season than all the contenders expect Spurs and face Arsenal in Saturday lunchtime match 4 days on from Turin clash[/h]"

Exactly. Why do any Saints fans continue to want England call-ups for any of our players (unless they want them to leave)? Haven't Shaw, Lallana, SRL, Clyne (probably), etc. taught us anything?

Because it's what most players want in their careers and if they don't get it with Saints, they'll get it elsewhere. Anyone who thinks that "tapping up" only happens on international duty is deluded, players have friends, friends of friends, agents, agents who know other players etc.

When a player like Tom Cleverly could be selected as an England regularily until last summer, despite being pretty inert as a player then you get the drift of the bizarre selection process.

As for Liverpool players being rested because the poor souls are tired, that is taking the whatsit Lower league players must be laughing at reading that.

If all the players ahead of Bertrand were in form and / or playing then he shouldn't be in the squad. But they're not. And the disappointing thing would be that should he not receive a call-up for his form over the last 9 or so months it sends a bad message to other English players at 'big' clubs - being a bit-part player at those clubs is seen as more important to the national team than playing regularly and performing.

JWP is clearly a talented player with big potential, and he has some clear areas of his game to work on (not least getting himself on the scoresheet!)

In the early part of this season, i felt he wasn't impacting the games enough but over the Christmas period he showed that he can do that with a number of assists. He's had a few dodgy sub appearances in recent weeks, but there clearly is talent there and he'd probably benefit most from a consistent run in our side (tough with the competition we have).

With regards to England, two points.

One, England aren't really very good - it's hardly fierce competition for a midfield spot, especially if we are looking to the future.

Two. JWP would be in the squad but i don't think he'd be playing. It would be about Roy getting a close up watch of him and him starting to engage with the senior squad, rather than thinking he was ready to start bossing it against the world's best. If he impresses in training, and given the rubbish we're playing against in our qualifiers, he may even find himself getting a few minutes.

On Bertrand, it will be a travesty if he isn't picked this time.

Would sum up the problems with England. I really like JWP, but he hasn't earned it, YET. Too many players get their chance before they've earned it, and too many get consistently overlooked despite good performance.

We have **** easy qualifiers, no older players who won't be at the next tournament should be in the squads anymore, yet we know he'd pick Lampard and Gerrard if he could.

Definitely, and the opposite problem (not earning but getting a place any way, or else earning it once and retaining a place despite not being that good)

Regarding JWP' date=' he was namechecked by Hodgson earlier this season when talking about players to play at the base of midfield in front of the back four.[/quote']

Particularly strange considering the only time I can remember JWP playing at the base of midfield for us this season was in the last half an hour against Swansea at home when we got completely overrun by Jonjo ****ing Shelvey.