Turkish in Memoriam (2007-2015)

Bearsy

This story proves that, unless you want to wake up with a dead horse in your bed, don't mess with the mods! A positively Stalinist exhibition of brutal totalitarian power this - I expect that as we speak that ruthless despot Steve is engaging in franticly 'air-brushing' his post history from the forum record - and he'll never get that fiver back now for sure.

Our erstwhile friend could be entertaining enough on his day I suppose, and surprisingly insightful on occasion too. However, attempting to draw a analogy between some utterly trivial spat with authority on a football forum, with the genuine horror of Auschwitz, was both spectacularly dumb and not a little offensive too.

I wonder if he knew what was bound to happen and committed forum 'hari-kari' to ensure that he left behind a James Dean like reputation for tragic young death and unfulfilled promise ... I know that MLG for one will be utterly distraught this weekend.

So RIP Turkish - in death you became the ultimate exemplar of football forum mongnitude at its very height. I shall always remember you as ''not a little offensive'' - and who among us could possibly ask for any more than that?

Just as an aside Bearsy, as I'm sure it wasn't meant like this but:

Meaning

To speak plainly - to describe something as it really is.

Origin

It might be thought that this derives from the derogatory use of the slang term 'spade', meaning Negro, an American term originating in the 20th century. That view of it as derogatory might also be thought to be supported by this piece from John Trapp's Mellificium theologicum, or the marrow of many good authors, 1647:

"Gods people shall not spare to call a spade a spade, a niggard a niggard."

Trapp's use of 'niggard' is difficult to interpret. The word had several meanings in the 17th century. It could be used to mean 'miser', which is the more common usage today, or as a general term of abuse - 'lout', 'barbarian' etc. The word was also used as the name of firebricks in grates.

The co-incidence in form and pronuctiation of 'niggard' and '******' causes some confusion. Although the two words probably derived independently, they doubtless affected each other's development of meaning over time.

Whatever Trapp's intention was, we can be confident that he didn't mean '******' or 'negro'.

An earlier expression of the notion, albeit in different form to that which we now use, comes from Nicolas Udall's 'Apophthegmes, that is to saie, prompte saiynges. First gathered by Erasmus' - translated in 1542:

"Philippus aunswered, that the Macedonians wer feloes of no fyne witte in their termes but altogether grosse, clubbyshe, and rusticall, as they whiche had not the witte to calle a spade by any other name then a spade."

This refers back to Plutarch's Apophthegmata.

The eccentric right-wing British Tory politician Sir Gerald Nabarro was fond of emphasizing his direct 'man of the people' image by saying 'I call a spade a shovel'. In fact, despite being from an immigrant family himself, Nabarro loudly supported the repatriation of Caribbean immigrants to the UK. How he referred in private to the people who would have undoubtedly have been called 'spades' in Nabarro's social circle isn't recorded.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/call-a-spade-a-spade.html

That's propa nawty Bear - Only 3? He would have expected a 3 day bender.

A fitting tribute, but we do worry about your liver, now turkish is not hear to keep you in check :(

A lot of things will probably change on here now! Sue's gonna start a "My Life In Italy" thread. MLG is drawing up stadium plans as we speak. It will be like east Berlin when the wall come down!

as I'm sure it wasn't meant like

It was actually. I know all about calling a spade a spade, and the fact that it is both nawty and crucially, plausible deniability, is something that would appeal to the Great Man, which is why we chose that particular analogy :thumbup:

A fitting tribute, but we do worry about your liver, now turkish is not hear to keep you in check :(

A lot of things will probably change on here now! Sue's gonna start a "My Life In Italy" thread. MLG is drawing up stadium plans as we speak. It will be like east Berlin when the wall come down!

I was tempted! But I will just satisfy myself with telling you about the two goals I scored in our last match.. ;)

For someone who used the term 'mongboard' a lot, I always assumed he was trying to prove his board credentials, with his repetitive Dalek-like behaviour.

A forum champion has been toppled. It is a grey day for football forums when one of the leading lights is cut down in his prime by ridiculously over-zealous officialdom.

I'm lighting a candle as I sit and mourn the sorrowful demise of SWF as it stumbles on without one of its prime protagonists.

I was tempted! But I will just satisfy myself with telling you about the two goals I scored in our last match.. ;)

:D

I had been anticipating a more immediate outpouring of celebration and release, but I suppose those oppressed under the Turkish regime, had suffered so much and for so long, that the air of quiet reflection and sorrow we find amongst their number is only to expected. It was much the same at Auschwitz, when the Allied troops arrived :thumbup:

A forum champion has been toppled. It is a grey day for football forums when one of the leading lights is cut down in his prime by ridiculously over-zealous officialdom.

I'm lighting a candle as I sit and mourn the sorrowful demise of SWF as it stumbles on without one of its prime protagonists.

I won't waste a match

This is such uplifting news. I can get back to the stories without getting grief.

Did I mention there has been Cricket going on down here in the Odegaard thread? What a pleasant day out it was.

Nice that an England cricket legend (only Captain to have won a WC with England no less) accepted our invitation to come down the pub with us to watch the Saints & his beloved Sunderland last night. Not sure who was more gutted at FT, him or the Egg Chasers

(Pictured just for Turks as well holding the right side of our flag)

Dubai Saints@dubaisaints 22h22 hours ago

Good win #SaintsFC! Newest member - @Colly622 #Win

CAozSQgVIAAWpTd.jpg

I miss him. :(:(
i understand your feeling, it s like when your annoying neighbour moves and you miss the constant niggle.You then remember the time they lent you a cup of sugar and think what a nice person they really are before finding a pubic hair In it

This is such uplifting news. I can get back to the stories without getting grief.

Did I mention there has been Cricket going on down here in the Odegaard thread? What a pleasant day out it was.

Nice that an England cricket legend (only Captain to have won a WC with England no less) accepted our invitation to come down the pub with us to watch the Saints & his beloved Sunderland last night. Not sure who was more gutted at FT, him or the Egg Chasers

(Pictured just for Turks as well holding the right side of our flag)

Dubai Saints@dubaisaints 22h22 hours ago

Good win #SaintsFC! Newest member - @Colly622 #Win

CAozSQgVIAAWpTd.jpg

Nice of Richard from Guess Who? to don this year's kit.

:toppa: tks that's the kind of personal & moving tribute we were looking for! It seems that Turkish touched a lot of people on here. Men. Women. Little kids. They didn't always like it, they may have found him rough, but he touched them all the same.

RIP

Thanks Bear. I very much enjoyed your moving eulogy too.

For those interested in the UI bust-up, it's here:-

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/forum/48552/page:1

However, I would say that this was as "bad" as things ever got, and we never really argued with each other after this.

I will miss the straight talking and honesty of Turks whether if he is wrong or right in his debating.

Life is getting too PR these days turning everything into grey blandness.

Speak as you feel is almost at an end these days and yet the world seems to be getting more violent and perverse with every growing second.

Long live Turks and long live the right for free speach.

I will miss the straight talking and honesty of Turks whether if he is wrong or right in his debating.

Speak as you feel is almost at an end these days and yet the world seems to be getting more violent and perverse with every growing second.

So what you're saying is he's a poor man's Jeremy Clarkson

Nice sentiment. Except he wasn't honest or straight talking. In fact, he was always on a wind up, trying to catch unsuspecting people out. Which is the opposite.

Just pointing out.

Thanks Bear. I very much enjoyed your moving eulogy too.

For those interested in the UI bust-up, it's here:-

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/forum/48552/page:1

However, I would say that this was as "bad" as things ever got, and we never really argued with each other after this.

Brilliant. Although Boris wasn't a tough opponent your responses were superb.

Who is Dune on here?

Brilliant. Although Boris wasn't a tough opponent your responses were superb.

Ta, although it only really works if you get upset. Called out and given a casus belli to wage war? I was thrilled :)

Who is Dune on here?

Now don't start that!*

*he probably has a horcrux, but I've learned my lesson :)

Nice sentiment. Except he wasn't honest or straight talking. In fact, he was always on a wind up, trying to catch unsuspecting people out. Which is the opposite.

Just pointing out.

What do people expect on a footy forum.....love, peace and harmony?

Some on here really need to get out of the kitchen if they can't handle it.

This place will get even more sterile without the likes of Turkish in it and we might as well get use to threads such as "Saints players cars".

What do people expect on a footy forum.....love, peace and harmony?

Some on here really need to get out of the kitchen if they can't handle it.

This place will get even more sterile without the likes of Turkish in it and we might as well get use to threads such as "Saints players cars".

Not at all. I was merely correcting the description in a factually accurate way. ;)

It will be v.burning for him that the mods got the Last Word! I bet he's posting like a bastard on the Ouija Board, M-O-N-G-M-O-N-G-M-O-N-G-M-O-N-G-M-O-N-G-M-O-N-G-M-O-N-G-M-O-N-G-M-O-N-G-M-O-N-G

LOL. Did this happen before or after the eclipse? I can't remember.

It was a bloody cold wind after the game Sat night. Every time

I cursed Turks, I'm sure it bit back.

Anyone got a tl;dr version of events? Been offline most of the weekend, missed this!

Turkish got in trouble for using the m-word, then compared the day-to-day operations of this Internet forum with a notorious death camp.

No, he was a persistent bully, and his behaviour was designed to shut other people up, to the extent that I had him on ignore. Making pointed comments or observations is one thing, but repetitively and needlessly it gets as tiresome as Dalek and 17th place... In short, he was a Belvoir Hunt.

No, he was a persistent bully, and his behaviour was designed to shut other people up, to the extent that I had him on ignore. Making pointed comments or observations is one thing, but repetitively and needlessly it gets as tiresome as Dalek and 17th place... In short, he was a Belvoir Hunt.

I'll second this

I am not now to notice, that women are far more ruthless when it comes to these matters. I mean, they will standby on the outskirts while bros duke it out, but when the fight is done, and one bro is lying broken & beaten on the floor, woman will have no compunction in walking over and stamping on his testicles :(