Everton v Saints - Build Up Thread

vince

I reckon there'll be a MOTM performance from Forster. #wishfulthinking

I know Koeman was going with an attacking line up against Burnley and was trying not to risk Wanyama's yellow card situation but Wanyama will start against Everton IMO. Hopefully we get everyone fit back from International duty.

Everton are very Jekyll and Hyde this season. God knows which way it will go.

Ticket Sales are looking a bit shabby ATM, looks like a good opportunity for the moaning Minnie's to get a bit of history on their accounts if they fancy another away in the games left. Or if we get a plum away game early on next season.

Was going to go up for the weekend, but mates who I'd stay with aren't around, therefore I'd have to get a hotel and can't really afford it. Great weekend away for those that are going.

Making a rare away trip for this with my son. We are taking the car to go on to visit family in the north. Having never been to Liverpool, let alone Goodison, I would be grateful for advice on the best place to aim to leave the car.

Leave the car in Manchester :)

Looking forward to this. Engineering works at Euston over the whole weekend means it's £430+ for the 4 of us on the train, and the journey is something like 5.5 hours. Not happening where we've got the hotel to pay for too.

Making a rare away trip for this with my son. We are taking the car to go on to visit family in the north. Having never been to Liverpool, let alone Goodison, I would be grateful for advice on the best place to aim to leave the car.

Outside Liverpool or, if you must park in Liverpool, a modern CCTV covered car park in the city centre (which is nowhere near the footy). Under no circumstances would I park on a random street in Liverpool.

Pelle didn't do himself any favours y/day, that's for sure. Wouldn't expect to see him at Everton.

I thought he was alright at best yesterday. It certainly takes a lot from Mane when he is pushed out wide...Long and Mane looked very dangerous against Chelsea.

In a way, Everton have a pair of CBs who are low on confidence and in Alcaraz, one who is pretty crap. Mane and long can pull them all over the show IMO

I thought he was alright at best yesterday. It certainly takes a lot from Mane when he is pushed out wide...Long and Mane looked very dangerous against Chelsea.

In a way, Everton have a pair of CBs who are low on confidence and in Alcaraz, one who is pretty crap. Mane and long can pull them all over the show IMO

I think away from home, it's good to be able to stretch sides. Mane through the middle I think is his best role, he can play the flank roles, but through the middle he can be electric. He can then pull players around, which opens space down the sides.

Pace is key here, so I can see us dropping Tadic and going for Elia as well.

There are a couple of park and ride options that might be worth looking at. Broadgreen has the advantage of being just by the end of the M62, but you'll need to change trains at Liverpool Central for the Northern Line.

If you fancy getting straight onto the Northern Line, I'd probably aim for Hunts Cross. You can come off the M6 at the Liverpool airport junction (M56). Aintree has got park and ride facilities, and is another option (M57).

The other option is to just park in town. There should be plenty of places to do so, all covered up. Will probably set you back a tenner max, even in Liverpool One. You can then train it up from Liverpool central or get the Soccerbus.

The areas around the grounds can be a bit pokey due to a combination of narrow streets. Everton in particular is pretty near some major northbound routes. I wouldn't recommend parking around County Road, but would be more worried about parallel parking and getting blocked in than anything getting damaged on the motor.

Does anyone think it would be good to provide Pelle with some 'protection' such as playing Long alongside him, with Mane in a wider position ready to cut inside if needed? Might provide Everton with some confusion defensively.

I get the impression Pelle's been quite exposed, with reference to lots of forum comments mentioning how he always has 2 or 3 defenders on his back whenever the ball is close.

Does anyone think it would be good to provide Pelle with some 'protection' such as playing Long alongside him, with Mane in a wider position ready to cut inside if needed? Might provide Everton with some confusion defensively.

I get the impression Pelle's been quite exposed, with reference to lots of forum comments mentioning how he always has 2 or 3 defenders on his back whenever the ball is close.

The tried that in the first half yesterday and it left us a bit exposed. Actually thought Pelle did everything but score yesterday.

Stanley Park, can't recall how much we pay but it's safe and monitored by stewards. Good view of both Anfield and Goodison

The tried that in the first half yesterday and it left us a bit exposed. Actually thought Pelle did everything but score yesterday.

Be interesting to see if Ronald goes for the 3-5-2 again? Worked a treat against Everton in the home game this season.

Well where were you first half yesterday? Pelle is not scoring goals and not mobile enough. Too much of a luxury away from home in particular.

Well where were you first half yesterday? Pelle is not scoring goals and not mobile enough. Too much of a luxury away from home in particular.

I thought, generally, Pelle was very good. Despite being low on confidence, he continued to show for the ball. His hold up play and distribution were good.

That said, if Everton are playing Alcaraz and Distinct, I'd start with Mane, Long & Elia up front.

Two nights in Liverpool for this. We never get anything at Goodison so not hopeful.

Why would the fact that better Everton teams have routinely beat worse Southampton teams have any relevance to this year? This is a real question. I have never understood the excessive focus on past results given how little continuity there is in Premier League teams from year to year much less from decade to decade.

Southampton

I'm in the pelle was good camp.

A season ticket holder near me relayed a story about bumping into Koeman at Southampton hospital this week. After the obligatory car park selfie they then proceeded to get into the same lift as pelle. Asking him what he was doing there he said "a scan. I have very bad knee"

Edited by Bwanamakubwa

Thanks for the serious and jovial responses, both of which are appreciated. Don't go to away games for years at a time so very much looking forward to it [emoji4]

I really don't think you're listening.... Nobody should look forward to a trip to Liverpool :uhoh:

Right, didn't know that. Maybe not such a great plan then.

He did seem genuinely exasperated when he hit the bar - sometimes the luck just doesn't happen.

I was at Murrayfield enjoying another defeat for Scotland :(, but a fantastic Irish party afterwards :)

Just recovered!

Hence I didn't realise my [not very original] idea was tried first half yesterday. All opinions and responses gratefully received, though.

Hate the international breaks, International football is so dull to watch and what's more is that the England games are on ITV...

Can't wait to get back to watching Saints. As much as Everton are having a funny year and we beat them comprehensively last time out I do think we'll struggle against them at Goodison, not based on anything really except a hunch.

Hate the international breaks, International football is so dull to watch and what's more is that the England games are on ITV...

Everton are a funny side. They clearly do have some quality and should be doing better than they are, but there are a few positions (notably CB and GK) that are ready for an upgrade.

I think, now that they've got a decent gap between them and the bottom 3, the pressure will drop on them a little. That should allow them to play with a bit more freedom as a team and the worry is that we will see the best of Everton over the coming weeks. I think we can win, but I think we can easily lose as well. If I was handed a draw, I'd take it.

Try Walton Lifestyles Sports Centre (L4 9XP) where you can park for £5........well it was that last year. I've parked there a few times and its okay but a bit odd as you have to park, then walk up to the leisure centre to get a ticket then back to your car to display ticket. The leisure centre is about a ten minute walk from the ground. Can be a bit tricky getting out as they cram them in. Family day out for me. Going with my Saints supporting son and taking my two Everton (season ticket holders) supporting step-sons. Need to win after their gloating last season.

Everton are a funny side. They clearly do have some quality and should be doing better than they are, but there are a few positions (notably CB and GK) that are ready for an upgrade.

I think, now that they've got a decent gap between them and the bottom 3, the pressure will drop on them a little. That should allow them to play with a bit more freedom as a team and the worry is that we will see the best of Everton over the coming weeks. I think we can win, but I think we can easily lose as well. If I was handed a draw, I'd take it.

Agreed. They've under achieved in the league this year, but still have plenty of good players. A draw would definitely be a good result from this one.

Everton. Not only are they decent at home, but they are also a traditional bogey side for the Saints. I've been a few times and have never seen us win live, although I remember Kevin Davies scoring a beautiful goal in a 2-0 victory there, running half the length of the pitch. I watched that in the Shiel Park Tavern, which was fun.

Anyway, will be going to this one. Best chance of a win here in a while. Martinez is under all kinds of pressure, as is his defence these days.

As Pap has mentioned, their shocking defence has completely undermined everything else they try and do. They just don't defend well as a team, and have a lot of players who legs have gone (Distin, Barry) or are going (Jagielka, Baines). Gareth Barry runs like he is wearing wellies and at 34 has two years left on his contract :lol:

As Pap has mentioned' date=' their shocking defence has completely undermined everything else they try and do. They just don't defend well as a team, and have a lot of players who legs have gone (Distin, Barry) or are going (Jagielka, Baines). Gareth Barry runs like he is wearing wellies and at 34 has two years left on his contract :lol:[/quote']

And Alcaraz, who is simply horrific and a walking car crash for top level teams. Shouldn't ever be at a club of Everton's stature.

As Pap has mentioned' date=' their shocking defence has completely undermined everything else they try and do. They just don't defend well as a team, and have a lot of players who legs have gone (Distin, Barry) or are going (Jagielka, Baines). Gareth Barry runs like he is wearing wellies and at 34 has two years left on his contract :lol:[/quote']

And Alcaraz, who is simply horrific and a walking car crash for top level teams. Shouldn't ever be at a club of Everton's stature.

I've heard a couple of pundits speculate that any defensive solidity last year was down to the lingering discipline of Moyes still having a hold.

While he's tried some left-field solutions (his 3 at the back for Wigan) Martinez' teams have never been able to defend consistently.

I've heard a couple of pundits speculate that any defensive solidity last year was down to the lingering discipline of Moyes still having a hold.

While he's tried some left-field solutions (his 3 at the back for Wigan) Martinez' teams have never been able to defend consistently.

Possibly that, combined with Distin, Jagielka and Baines being a year older. Distin in particular has struggled this year, so has Baines with injuries.

But you're right, his teams are always a ''we score more than you'' approach.

Jagielka is the fastest player in the league donchaknow!