Saints considering Micah Richards if they lose Clyne in the summer

Saint IQ

would rather spend the money on a talented youngster that we can make a massive load of cash on in couple of years....this is what we are doing at the moment, and this is the final stage before becoming a "big" club, at some point we will stop selling because we wont need to :)

You're a combination if crazy, hilarious and original.

I don't genuinely believe this is because of me genius, i just found it mildly funny that i've been saying this is what we should do with regards to Clynes replacement and a couple of weeks later it's reported in the papers. I'm just very happy that someone i wanted us to sign might actually be signing rather than being miles off like usual. Although tbf i wanted us to sign forster for the last 2 seasons.

Byram would be a risk as he basically has played midfield for the whole season.

A wing back to suit RK's 3 at the back option perhaps ?

Seems to me the option is a player whose best strengths are going forward (Byram, Trippier for example), or a more solid defender who offers less going forward ( names escape me, sure someone will suggest one). A player who combines both, are few and far between, and why Clyne is sought after (hopefully seeing his value soar,even allowing for the contract situation).

A wing back to suit RK's 3 at the back option perhaps ?

Seems to me the option is a player whose best strengths are going forward (Byram, Trippier for example), or a more solid defender who offers less going forward ( names escape me, sure someone will suggest one). A player who combines both, are few and far between, and why Clyne is sought after (hopefully seeing his value soar,even allowing for the contract situation).

That said can anyone actaully name a FB who is solid in defence, excluding ones who play for Chelsea of Man C.

i like Richards as a player. Can play centre back too, think he might be a better natural centre back based on his early career till he was permanently adapted to fullback. Wouldn't complain if we turned to him, especially if McCarthy or Stephens are rated highly enough to act as undestudy learning the ropes.

Wouldn't mind nabbing Jenkinson from Arsenal.

This. If Arsenal don't want him, snap him up. Has been very good for West Ham this season.

There's not a lot of right backs in the Premier League that could be available in the summer IMO. Richards, is one. He has the added plus of being able to play centre back too, but is he the pacy right back that can get up the flank a la Clyne or Chambers? Then there's Raphael, who will probably leave United. Hasn't played much this season because of a broken cheekbone but still a good age and has good experience. Then there's poaching a near rival's right back. Janmaat from Newcastle for example.

I don't like Richards technically for the role we would need him. Clyne and Bertrand are both excellent crossers of the ball 90% of the time and I wouldn't trust Richards to follow suit. He always came across as more of a man-mountain rather than technical.

As above, Trippier took Burnely's set-pieces and put in some terrific crosses first-half and would be a perfect replacement for Clyne, especially with progression possible here like Clyney

Trippier isn't good enough defensively imo, Bertrand gave him a torrid time 2nd half yesterday and Ryan is only a FB! Imagine a top class winger going at him for 90 mins.

How did he get on against Silva and Navas the previous week?

Clynes loss will be a hard one, he was one player I had always had confidence in when played, if the attack came down the right, Clyde will deal with it! It's his pace! Yes he has everything else, but his confidence to get tight, use himself strength to win battles, and know he cannot be outpaced by any player he defends is priceless, I have seen many wingers now not even bother going for a ball if Clynes has a couple steps on them, his speed, strength and tenacity now proceeds him in opponents minds. Priceless!! But alas, a price will be reached for him, and that person has some speedy shoes to fill. So that us where I would like to start, if they do not have world class speed with strength then move on. Micha Richards fits this from what I remember before he became a bench warmer, but if you go beyond that he was as mentioned before , he is not the most gifted technically, and was a poor crossers, but these can be improved or worked around, he was pretty good at attacking wing play. I like others, janmmat,Jenkins, etc, good technical attacking fb but lack lightning pace. Now I am not saying pace is everything, but a good player with awesome speed will become great! I hope or black now thinks the same and pulls another gem to be polished fir all the world to admire. Clyne is now polished and shining for all the world to see his brilliance. The elite will buy their new bling to place amongst their hoard of jewels.

Agree with what's been said about Trippier, he would definitely be my preferred option. Looking likely that Burnley might avoid the drop though, so don't think they'll be too keen to let him go on the cheap especially as they're already losing Ings in the summer.

Richards would be ok, I do like him as a player and think he deserved more of a chance at City but his injury record is worrying and also his wages are astronomical.

Clynes loss will be a hard one, he was one player I had always had confidence in when played, if the attack came down the right, Clyde will deal with it! It's his pace! Yes he has everything else, but his confidence to get tight, use himself strength to win battles, and know he cannot be outpaced by any player he defends is priceless, I have seen many wingers now not even bother going for a ball if Clynes has a couple steps on them, his speed, strength and tenacity now proceeds him in opponents minds. Priceless!!

I'm going to miss watching Clyne so much if he leaves. I think he is replaceable like most players are, but I just love watching his tenacious, fast, daring style. I think he's my favourite player!

The only way that I could see us considering Richards is as some sort of part exchange deal. Not good enough for City, probably not good enough for us.

He's out of contract I believe, so free to do what he wants.

I'm not really a fan of Richards - gets injured far too much, I don't think he has the right sort of build for the modern footballer, and I am not convinced of his football intelligence. That said, the assist totals he got at Man City were quite impressive. I'd like to think we can do better but you never know.

I'm going to miss watching Clyne so much if he leaves. I think he is replaceable like most players are, but I just love watching his tenacious, fast, daring style.

I think he's my favourite player!

I like his style, too....

but I also recall reading a quote from French President De Gaulle (a former General) he said....the graveyards are full of irreplaceable men ..

sounds a bit gruesome, but if Clyne goes, we're sure to find someone else in..." The Black Box ", but one of the few players I felt it was impossible to replace was MLT.