Northam; are you Chapel in disguise.

pap

Bear in mind that I've only been going to SMS regularly, but haven't seen this before and thought I'd share. A few of the Northam lot get booed by Itchen North, and are asked "are you Chapel in disguise?".

Northam; are you Chapel in disguise?

Itchen North; is this a power grab to be the hardiest coriest part of SMS?

Chapel; if that is you in the Northam, who the f**k is in Chapel?

Edited by pap

It's the way the acoustics work, we can't hear the Itchen from the Northam stand either.

Can usually hear them from the Kingsland. The Northam has been pretty quite this season, maybe better quality football is distracting.

It's the way the acoustics work, we can't hear the Itchen from the Northam stand either.

Nothing to do with the acoustics or whether Northam heard it. Genuinely hadn't seen one section of the ground berate another set of fans before.

The video was posted to illustrate that.

Nothing to do with the acoustics or whether Northam heard it. Genuinely hadn't seen one section of the ground berate another set of fans before.

The video was posted to illustrate that.

OK? But the fact that neither sets of fans can hear each other IS relevant. The Itchen think the Northam aren't chanting, which simply isn't true.

Also, listening to that video it sounds like it's around 50 people chanting...so hardly the entire Itchen North berating the Northam.

OK? But the fact that neither sets of fans can hear each other IS relevant. The Itchen think the Northam aren't chanting, which simply isn't true.

Also, listening to that video it sounds like it's around 50 people chanting...so hardly the entire Itchen North berating the Northam.

The impression I got was that the chant came because people were streaming out of the ground, rather than any perceived lack of signing.

As you correctly point out, it's difficult to pick up on Northam a lot of the time anyway, so we're not usually in the habit of criticising their decibel level.

The impression I got was that the chant came because people were streaming out of the ground, rather than any perceived lack of signing.

As you correctly point out, it's difficult to pick up on Northam a lot of the time anyway, so we're not usually in the habit of criticising their decibel level.

Well that happens all round the ground, including the Itchen North. I stand in the Northam as bemused as anyone watching people stream out with 5 minutes left, it was even worse in games like Palace when it was 1-0, Chelsea when it was 1-1 etc. Just doesn't make sense.

Well that happens all round the ground, including the Itchen North. I stand in the Northam as bemused as anyone watching people stream out with 5 minutes left, it was even worse in games like Palace when it was 1-0, Chelsea when it was 1-1 etc. Just doesn't make sense.

Oh aye. I've seen it myself, even done it myself on a bad day. The middle bro is a bastard for getting off five minutes early to beat traffic. This is why we rarely leave games together.

Oh aye. I've seen it myself, even done it myself on a bad day. The middle bro is a bastard for getting off five minutes early to beat traffic. This is why we rarely leave games together.

I haven't done it once since I missed Fullers injury time 40 yard equaliser away to Derby. Felt a right mug when I found out the result after ranting about the sh*t display for ages.

With a few notable exceptions the Northam has been very quiet this season, by normal standards. Struggling to get 'When The Saints Go Marching In' going at some points, FFS.

Thought yesterday was a bit of a missed opportunity in terms of turning Northam into a Kop of sorts. Lack of Burnley fans meant Block 43 and most of 44 were ours, yet those that bought tickets mostly sat on their hands. Shame.

I don't think I've been to a ground that empties so much before the end of the match, regardless of scoreline, even those big grounds full of plastics.

I don't think I've been to a ground that empties so much before the end of the match, regardless of scoreline, even those big grounds full of plastics.

I genuinely wonder how much the traffic / infrastructure setup informs this. I'm a slow returner, and far prefer to wait until town has died down before heading back to the barrio. I don't bother trying to get back straightaway if we haven't left early.

Those few minutes can be the difference between a 10 minute drive home and being stuck in traffic for hours.

I genuinely wonder how much the traffic / infrastructure setup informs this. I'm a slow returner, and far prefer to wait until town has died down before heading back to the barrio. I don't bother trying to get back straightaway if we haven't left early.

Those few minutes can be the difference between a 10 minute drive home and being stuck in traffic for hours.

This - I don't leave early but often wish I did. The access in/out of the stadium area is shocking. All they need to do is install a wider footbridge and then more clearly sign different routes away from the ground.

This - I don't leave early but often wish I did. The access in/out of the stadium area is shocking. All they need to do is install a wider footbridge and then more clearly sign different routes away from the ground.
Why is that any different to 90% of other Premier League grounds?

Never understood the leaving early complaints. They've paid their money they can do what the **** they like.

It worse when it is fans that haven't attended (Half of this site) start chirping in on here, when they never freaking went in the first place.

Personally like to see the whole game through, but if I need to get back early for whatever reason, will go down to the tunnel on 90 mins.

Never understood the leaving early complaints. They've paid their money they can do what the **** they like.

It worse when it is fans that haven't attended (Half of this site) start chirping in on here, when they never freaking went in the first place.

Personally like to see the whole game through, but if I need to get back early for whatever reason, will go down to the tunnel on 90 mins.

agreed

I'm not sure there is much to understand. People get irked at different stuff, and often their reasons for doing so are irrational. This falls into that category. Some of the people in Itchen clearly feeling the uber-fan instinct on seeing a contingent of the Northam faithful doing the offs at the end of a relatively decent result.

Some people think it is okay to leave early. Others don't. I wouldn't be surprised if the simmering rivalry between the two stands hadn't played a part though.

Simmering rivalry between the stands. :lol: What on earth are you on about?

Wouldn't say it happens in all parts of the ground. Itchen North and Northam are the two parts of the ground that can be counted on to make some noise. While we'll join up for the odd song, each stand does their own stuff independently.

We've got two parts of the home support competing to make the most noise.

Here's the dictionary definition of "rival", to bring you home.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/rival

That would be fine if they could leave without blocking my view of the football, you know, the thing I've paid my money to watch.

Who has said they can't do what they want? Doesn't stop it being s**t does it.

LOL why is it sh!te?

It's odd. It happens whatever the score. Why leave when the result could still go either way?

Those leaving to go downstairs before half time just to get their hands on some **** beer and crap food are the weirdest.

Couldn't believe how empty the stadium was with 5 minutes still to go yesterday, there were people queuing up to leave in the Kingsland, was ridiculous. As for the Northam, and atmosphere in general, it's been poor the majority of the season. Few loud parts but on the whole it's been crap.

The impression I got was that the chant came because people were streaming out of the ground, rather than any perceived lack of

signing.

You need spell check LOL

Atmosphere in the Northam was a bit odd yesterday but I'm not sure I heard a great deal from itchen north either. Always sounds to me from my position a lot gets started around block 38 and when they're quiet everyone else follows suit.

Itchen North was rumbling along pretty consistently, but wasn't 100% co-ordinated. Another one of those happy occasions where an extended run of OWTS ended in a goal. Jason Shackell was convinced enough by the Itchen North's singing. He marched the ball into the net for us. Lovely stuff.

Been sung occasionally for a few seasons now.

Ta, didn't know. Relatively new to football as ritual.

Why is that any different to 90% of other Premier League grounds?

95% of other Premier League grounds aren't in Southampton.

The rush to leave is crazy, I watch people ignoring the conclusion of another good win in the desire to get down those stairs on 88 mins, reminds me of clueless travellers getting in a mini panic at the boarding gate when others start forming a queue they can't help getting up to go and join it.

Itchen North was rumbling along pretty consistently, but wasn't 100% co-ordinated. Another one of those happy occasions where an extended run of OWTS ended in a goal. Jason Shackell was convinced enough by the Itchen North's singing. He marched the ball into the net for us. Lovely stuff.

Ta, didn't know. Relatively new to football as ritual.

95% of other Premier League grounds aren't in Southampton.

Southampton isn't much different to any other city hosting Premier League games.

Look at the effort and queues getting away from the surrounding areas of London clubs, much worse than Saints and none of their fans live in the vicinity of their grounds.

Southampton isn't much different to any other city hosting Premier League games.

Look at the effort and queues getting away from the surrounding areas of London clubs, much worse than Saints and none of their fans live in the vicinity of their grounds.

I take that on board, and I've had issues in smaller places in traffic. Southampton is something of a special case though. Not enough redundancy in the roads, and not enough alternatives off them, unlike a lot of other cities which have invested in better transport networks and have better transport links.

For what it's worth, Being a dull fart sat in the Chapel I could hear both Itchen North and The Northam quite well on Saturday, something I have noticed recently as the quality of football before our eyes from Saints has improved there are more moments of quietness but I think this due to more folks getting drawn into the game more so their concentration takes over, maybe it's an age thing: folks growing up.

As for early leavers, if you are going bloody well get on with it! don't stop mid row mid exit to watch Saints closing in on goal just get on and bugger off

I take that on board, and I've had issues in smaller places in traffic. Southampton is something of a special case though. Not enough redundancy in the roads, and not enough alternatives off them, unlike a lot of other cities which have invested in better transport networks and have better transport links.
How is Southampton a special case though? How is it so much harder to get away than other places?

How is Southampton a special case though? How is it so much harder to get away than other places?

Top ten most congested places in the country. Anywhere that isn't Southampton either doesn't have a Premier League team, or has mass transit solutions keeping cars off the road.

1 London (airports, motorway ring road, mass transit)

2 Edinburgh (no prem team)

3 Oxford (no prem team)

4 Belfast (no prem team)

5 Bradford (no prem team)

6 Manchester (airports, motorway ring road, mass transit)

7 Birmingham (airports, motorway ring road, mass transit)

8 Aberdeen (no prem team)

9 Southampton (prem team, limited airport, no mass transit, M27 or bust)

10 Nottingham (no prem team)

Top ten most congested places in the country. Anywhere that isn't Southampton either doesn't have a Premier League team, or has mass transit solutions keeping cars off the road.

1 London (airports, motorway ring road, mass transit)

2 Edinburgh (no prem team)

3 Oxford (no prem team)

4 Belfast (no prem team)

5 Bradford (no prem team)

6 Manchester (airports, motorway ring road, mass transit)

7 Birmingham (airports, motorway ring road, mass transit)

8 Aberdeen (no prem team)

9 Southampton (prem team, limited airport, no mass transit, M27 or bust)

10 Nottingham (no prem team)

What do you mean by "mass transit"? What is Southampton Central station, if not a mainline station walking distance from the ground? St Marys is walking distance to its city centre, walking distance to the mainline train and coach station and walking distance to regional train stations. Also easy walking distance to Hythe and Isle of Wight ferries.

Compare that to West Ham, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, QPR or even places like Man Utd or Leeds (ridiculous queues for buses back into town).

Oh shut up you tart.....just move your head so you can see.

Erm, when the row in front all stand up to let someone out, I have to stand up to still be able to see. My nipper isn't tall enough for that to work for him. I look forward to hearing your simple solution to that problem. Should I take a ladder, perhaps?