Not Quite Team of the Season

TheCholulaKid

Fonte has been better than Alderweireld though. I'm not saying he is a better player' date=' but Fonte's performances have been better over the course of the season.[/quote'] Disagree. Alderweireld has been the better player this season, Fonte's overall contribution to our season has been greater though, due to number of games played, role as Captain etc. Depends what you're judging against really.

Disagree. Alderweireld has been the better player this season, Fonte's overall contribution to our season has been greater though, due to number of games played, role as Captain etc. Depends what you're judging against really.

It's a surprisingly well-informed decision to put Toby in, cos Fonte prob does more eye-catching tackles + headers + whatever, and it's only watching Toby closely you see how he doesn't have to dive in often cos he's such good positioning. I mean, either that, or it's normal ill-informed opinion, and they just shoved Toby in cos he's More Famous :thumbup:

Disagree. Alderweireld has been the better player this season, Fonte's overall contribution to our season has been greater though, due to number of games played, role as Captain etc. Depends what you're judging against really.

Agree that Fonte has had a good season but I think he has been lucky not to have conceded more penalties.

Fonte has been better than Alderweireld though. I'm not saying he is a better player' date=' but Fonte's performances have been better over the course of the season.[/quote']

If you mean "he's contributed more because he's played twice as many games" I can't argue with that. On any other measure Alderweireld is the better player and when they've both played both their performances have been better too. Alderweireld though has been utterly outstanding - I've never seen a player in a Saints shirt with such exceptional positioning and rapid reactions to loose balls in the box, and he's as composed and skilled in possession as any playmaker. Hell of a shot too.

Clyne's impact going forward has dropped off a little bit recently, it's one of the side-effects of Alderweireld being out for so long, as well as part of the cause of our goals drying up a bit. But he's been solid at the back all season, as have the rest of the defence - and there are fewer decent right backs putting in a claim.

Edited by The9

Why's it 442 when hardly anyone plays that?

Wanyama should be in due to Saints clean sheet record and his part in it. I'd say he and Matic as central midfield. Fabregas too perhaps but he's tailed off the last few months. Terry has been destroyed several times at CB, really helped out by his midfield and faster defenders around him, wouldn't have him anywhere near my team.

I struggle to find many defenders outside the Saints back 4, it hasn't been the best season for CBs has it. Couldn't pick any Man City or Man Utd defenders, Arsenal's have been erratic or injured, same with Liverpools.

De Gea

Clyne Fonte Toby Bertrand

Matic Wanyama

Sanchez Fabregas Hazard

Kane

I mean that team would win the league wouldn't it, and probably keep about 30 clean sheets.

No Kane for me. He's got form but not class. Would have Aguero any day of the week.

Why's it 442 when hardly anyone plays that?

Wanyama should be in due to Saints clean sheet record and his part in it. I'd say he and Matic as central midfield. Fabregas too perhaps but he's tailed off the last few months. Terry has been destroyed several times at CB, really helped out by his midfield and faster defenders around him, wouldn't have him anywhere near my team.

I struggle to find many defenders outside the Saints back 4, it hasn't been the best season for CBs has it. Couldn't pick any Man City or Man Utd defenders, Arsenal's have been erratic or injured, same with Liverpools.

De Gea

Clyne Fonte Toby Bertrand

Matic Wanyama

Sanchez Fabregas Hazard

Kane

I mean that team would win the league wouldn't it, and probably keep about 30 clean sheets.

I'd pick Schneiderlin ahead of Wanyama in that particular team, only because Matic and Wanyama aren't the best ball users even though they're both superb defensively at breaking up play. Schneiderlin gives you a load of the playbreaking stuff and the option of bringing the ball out and picking a pass as well. Though with your front 4 they might not need the offensive assistance I can't honestly say Wanyama has been better than Schneiderlin for Saints this season.