CLUB ACCOUNTS: 2013/14 - Saints reveal first profit

Saint-Armstrong

Saints have revealed their first profit since the takeover of Markus Liebherr in 2009.

http://dailyecho.co.uk/sport/11886270.Southampton_to_reveal_first_profit_since_administration/

Now a dead link, but the Echo had a piece up earlier - the headline figures...

PROFIT: £33.4m (after tax) - £6.5m loss in 2012/13

REVENUE: £106.1m - up by 52.2% from £71.8m in 2012/13

COMMERCIAL INCOME: £8.3m - up from £6.7m in 2012/13

MATCHDAY INCOME £7.1m - up from £6.8m in 2012/13

TOTAL WAGE BILL: £55.2m - up from £41.4m in 2012/13

TOTAL STAFF NUMBER: 282 - up from 230 in 2012/13

STAPLEWOOD: Investment to date in excess of £25m - when new plans for the extension are complete, the final figure will be £38m

LOANS:

Katharina Liebherr provided a loan of £14.7m in the financial year

The club also held a loan facility, secured against her estate for £14.5m.

Katharina Liebherr injected a further loan of £20m into the club during the summer of 2014.

Undoubtedly more to come when the report is released - but that's the headline stuff from what was put up, and now taken down...

Saints have revealed their first profit since the takeover of Markus Liebherr in 2009.

http://dailyecho.co.uk/sport/11886270.Southampton_to_reveal_first_profit_since_administration/

Now a dead link, but the Echo had a piece up earlier - the headline figures...

PROFIT: £33.4m (after tax) - £6.5m loss in 2012/13

REVENUE: £106.1m - up by 52.2% from £71.8m in 2012/13

COMMERCIAL INCOME: £8.3m - up from £6.7m in 2012/13

MATCHDAY INCOME £7.1m - up from £6.8m in 2012/13

TOTAL WAGE BILL: £55.2m - up from £41.4m in 2012/13

TOTAL STAFF NUMBER: 282 - up from 230 in 2012/13

STAPLEWOOD: Investment to date in excess of £25m - when new plans for the extension are complete, the final figure will be £38m

LOANS:

Katharina Liebherr provided a loan of £14.7m in the financial year

The club also held a loan facility, secured against her estate for £14.5m.

Katharina Liebherr injected a further loan of £20m into the club during the summer of 2014.

Undoubtedly more to come when the report is released - but that's the headline stuff from what was put up, and now taken down...

So what happened? Did the Echo break a news embargo?

These numbers would move Southampton from 25th on the Deloitte Money List to 21st. It also means that my January 2015 guess at Southampton's earnings last year (108 million pounds) was more accurate that Deloitte's guess. That should worry Deloitte since I did only a little research and they did a lot. http://redsloscf.blogspot.com/2015/01/financial-fair-play-friend-or-foe.html

Does anyone know when the actual financials are going to be officially published?

So what happened? Did the Echo break a news embargo?

These numbers would move Southampton from 25th on the Deloitte Money List to 21st. It also means that my January 2015 guess at Southampton's earnings last year (108 million pounds) was more accurate that Deloitte's guess. That should worry Deloitte since I did only a little research and they did a lot. http://redsloscf.blogspot.com/2015/01/financial-fair-play-friend-or-foe.html

Does anyone know when the actual financials are going to be officially published?

I would assume in the coming days. The Echo's URL still exists, it just sends you into a dead end if you click it.

Suggests they jumped the gun, or meant to schedule it to upload at a certain time and something went wrong.

So when we were told there was no money to buy a striker in January (can't remember by who) it was because the board didn't want to rather than no funds?

To know that you'd have to analyse the transfers before and after the 30th June which is when the financial year ends for Saints. Work out how much of the profit was due to player sales before player purchases and all that stuff. Don't think we sold many before 30th June though.

We sold Shaw to Utd on 27/6 and Lambert to Liverpool end of May beginning of June . Just those 2 transfer fees would account for the 33 million £ profit at 30/6 I think. Without those incoming fees (if they figure in the 2013/14 accounts) then we made no profit at all.

Edited by Window Cleaner

To know that you'd have to analyse the transfers before and after the 30th June which is when the financial year ends for Saints. Work out how much of the profit was due to player sales before player purchases and all that stuff. Don't think we sold many before 30th June though.

We sold Shaw to Utd on 27/6 and Lambert to Liverpool end of May beginning of June . Just those 2 transfer fees would account for the 33 million £ profit at 30/6 I think. Without those incoming fees (if they figure in the 2013/14 accounts) then we made no profit at all.

Except these figures are up till april 2014 aren't they, so not including the transfer fees for last summer...?

1 of the iks's, k willy something??

Might've got my wires crossed though.

Fair enough. ITK as often as not either full of it, have access to fragments, or utterly incapable of applying perspective to information they have (ie Crab Lungs gullible parroting of the whining of a pig sh it thick footballers temper tantrums).

Reasonably confident that these accounts show that this summer will be quiet unless we get big money in for a few players again.

It doesn't include our profit from last summer's transfer window. With Clyne and Schneiderlin set to leave, I'd say we'll spend reasonably big again this summer

IF I have got that right, which as suggested above, may not be the case. I was basing it on the financial year - but may be different for Saints.

Reading the above BBC article suggest that the results released today are for year ending the 30th Jun 2014. So will include some of the player trading from last summer.

Southampton's new training ground is expected to cost £38m despite an initial estimate of £15m

Can anyone explain why?

It is now significantly larger in scale than the original plans and includes many things the £15m project didn't include. Compared to the original £15m plan; the £38m plan has more buildings on the site, a bigger pavilion building and also they have expanded the site to the south into farmers fields with more pitches.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Reading the above BBC article suggest that the results released today are for year ending the 30th Jun 2014. So will include some of the player trading from last summer.

Sorry missed this. Says £32 m included. The balance of £50m (we only got £82 m for the 5 players) will be in next year's accounts. However we spent £63m which will also be included, so net spend of £13m so far

The BBC and the Echo report that our salary spend went from £41.4 million in 2012-2013 to £55.2 million in 2013-2014. However, the £41.4 was not the actual salary cost in 2012-2013 because social security and other pension costs must be counted too. That total was £47.1 million for 2012-2013. It is not clear whether the media knows this. As result, it is not clear (at least to me) whether the £55.2 should be compared to the £41.4 or the £47.1. If the later, the growth in salaries is significantly less. If the former, our actual salary costs last season would be significantly higher--around £62.8 by straight extrapolation.

According to the Echo we have increased permanent staff by 52 which would mean that those people cost an average of either £302K per year or £156 per year. Even allowing for the fact that some employees received raises and some of our new players were well paid, the lower figure seems much more likely. But maybe not--Alderweireld's salary would account for around £60K of the difference all by itself.

We shall see shortly.

The BBC and the Echo report that our salary spend went from £41.4 million in 2012-2013 to £55.2 million in 2013-2014. However, the £41.4 was not the actual salary cost in 2012-2013 because social security and other pension costs must be counted too. That total was £47.1 million for 2012-2013. It is not clear whether the media knows this. As result, it is not clear (at least to me) whether the £55.2 should be compared to the £41.4 or the £47.1. If the later, the growth in salaries is significantly less. If the former, our actual salary costs last season would be significantly higher--around £62.8 by straight extrapolation.

According to the Echo we have increased permanent staff by 52 which would mean that those people cost an average of either £302K per year or £156 per year. Even allowing for the fact that some employees received raises and some of our new players were well paid, the lower figure seems much more likely. But maybe not--Alderweireld's salary would account for around £60K of the difference all by itself.

We shall see shortly.

You need to bear in mind that the accounts only reflect last seasons financials and anything 'this season' up to the end of June. Any transfer activity after 30th June won't be reflected in the accounts. Our Chairman has already said the wage bill has gone up from last season so it will be interesting to see what it is and how much of the debt has been paid back as well. I expect the money owed in transfers to be drastically reduced as well. Next year I also expect to see an increase in income purely from an improved league position and us being on TV many more times.

you would think that the summer just gone has set us up nicely financially.

player transactions alone we were what? £20m in the black??

throw in the £80m+ TV money..

surely, that should clear a great deal/put us in a nice position...

£33m profit is pretty impressive. Shame Cortese could not work with KL.

"What we can't shy away from is there is still Significant debt sitting on the club because of what been built and the past decisions the club has made and we Cannot get away from that

It is absolutely there and we need to have some strong disciplines, strong governance and strong management to bring that debt down. We don't want to be carrying that sort of debt"

That's why they couldn't work together pal

Edited by Turkish

"What we can't shy away from is their is still Significant debt sitting on the club because of what been built and the past decisions the club has made and we Cannot get away from that

It absolutely there and we need to have some strong disciplines, strong governance and strong management to bring that debt down. We don't want to be carrying that sort of debt"

That's why they couldn't work together pal

You say significant debt, Gareth Rogers, some of us say significant dreams and ambition.

You need to bear in mind that the accounts only reflect last seasons financials and anything 'this season' up to the end of June. Any transfer activity after 30th June won't be reflected in the accounts. Our Chairman has already said the wage bill has gone up from last season so it will be interesting to see what it is and how much of the debt has been paid back as well. I expect the money owed in transfers to be drastically reduced as well. Next year I also expect to see an increase in income purely from an improved league position and us being on TV many more times.

I understand. We are comparing 2012-2013 with 2013-2014. The currents season's financial results are a year away from being announced. Most of the increase in gross receipts between 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 will be due to finishing 8 instead of 14 and to the much larger TV contract. That part of our income will not grow much at all during this season since our league position will only increase from 1 to 4 places and I don't think we were on national TV more than the minimum amount.

At least those bellends who insisted Kat was asset stripping or using the club for her handbag fund have been shut up. Also it does appear that as more and more comes out getting shot of nick nack was the best thing she could have done. The fact that she has lent the club £20m to replace the vibrac loan suggests she either wasn't aware or didn't approve that his loan was taken out.