Is it wrong of me?

Hedge End Ranger

I am very patriotic towards England.

I have watched and supported Southampton in several divisions over a long period.

I want England to beat Italy by several goals if possible.

However is it wrong of me to want Pelle to score at least once tonight to hopefully kick start his season again?

Nithing wrong with that at all !

Give him a much needed confidence boost.

Southampton first, England very much second.

I really can't get much enthusiasm towards the England team, with their usual bias towards the big clubs, regardless of whether their English players are crap. I wanted Pelle to score and it would have been a bonus had Clyne chipped in with a goal too.

Did I miss Townsend giving Henderson Man of the Match? He usually does. I detest that prat with his inane commentary and his stating of the bleeding obvious.

Cheered that all the way! Had a tenner on him to make it even sweeter. Just need the big man to do more of the same against Everton now.

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I switched the game off after Pelle came off. Couldn't stand the dumb commentary any longer. What have you done to me Southampton?!

To answer the question, yes it is wrong - I think - to actively support a foreigner when he is playing against your own national team. When Pelle is wearing the blue of Italy he is at that time not 'our' player and hence should not receive the support of anyone on here to purports to support their nation - unless you happen to be a Italian SFC fan that is.

I also find myself out of step with the majority on here (yet again) in my instinctive reaction to Pelle's goal. While many of you lot were jumping up and down celebrating like mad things, but my first reaction was to wonder why the hell he can do that for Italy when recent performances in the red and white of SFC show that this player's ability to hit a cow's backside with a banjo is in some doubt!

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

To answer the question, yes it is wrong - I think - to actively support a foreigner when he is playing against your own national team. When Pelle is wearing the blue of Italy he is at that time not 'our' player and hence should not receive the support of anyone on here to purports to support their nation - unless you happen to be a Italian SFC fan that is.

I suspect the big point of difference is how much of other posters' personalities are comprised of jingoism and nationalism, in comparison to your own.

I didn't want England to lose, but I was very happy for Pelle to get on the scoring sheet. Mind you, it's been a long time since England have reflected what I like about our national character. Difficult to get too excited about the likes of John Terry or Wayne Rooney.

I also find myself out of step with the majority on here (yet again) in my instinctive reaction to Pelle's goal. While many of you lot were jumping up and down celebrating like mad things, but my first reaction was to wonder why the hell he can do that for Italy when recent performances in the red and white of SFC show that this player's ability to hit a cow's backside with a banjo is in some doubt!

And that's a fair point, but he hasn't been far off lately. Maybe this'll end up feeding some good performances back into Saints. Deft header.

Club over country all day long for me, so a 3-0 Italy win from a Pelle hattrick please. Fed up of the media love in to a very average England side being managed by yes man Hodgson.

The most likely alternative was Harry Redknapp, for all Hodgson's shortcomings I'm still glad he got the job instead. If 'Arry was in charge I would be wanting them to lose every game.

I cheered when Pelle scored!

Looking to the weekend, Barkley must be the most overrated player in existence at the moment - he's a headless chicken who runs into blind alleys and loses possession. He never passes to a team mate when better positioned. the bloke is a liability.

At least Harry Kane shoots, out tippy tappy's need to sharpen up in that respect (Davis, JWP, Djuricic, Tadic)

I'm not sure why you think Pelle getting a really light touch on a cross is out of character for him? It's practically been his defining feature of the past few months - with the exception of hitting the bar last match and the numerous clunky shinners off the pitch where he makes his run too far short of the near post, his failure to make decent contact on the ball has been the reason he hasn't scored a high percentage of his chances.

Wafting a leg or a head at it and not connecting properly is what he does a lot of the time, and it's what he did last night. The difference being it was what was needed last night, and not in the chances of the previous months.

I really can't get much enthusiasm towards the England team, with their usual bias towards the big clubs, regardless of whether their English players are crap. I wanted Pelle to score and it would have been a bonus had Clyne chipped in with a goal too.

Did I miss Townsend giving Henderson Man of the Match? He usually does. I detest that prat with his inane commentary and his stating of the bleeding obvious.

It's not just Townsend either, Pougatch was ridiculous last night, assigning "Rooney's shot off the bar" (aka Walcott's deflected header off the bar, as Rooney's shot was bouncing easily into the keeper's hands) as an "assist from Harry Kane", who headed the ball square to a defender in the 6 yard box to clear 15 yards before Rooney shot. It wasn't an assist, it wasn't even Rooney's shot which went off the bar.

Oh, and just to be clear, I watched none of the first half until I rewound the shot before the goal and the goal, saw 2 minutes of half time cobblers from Hoddle, and had the second half on in the background as I was adding the Champions League and Europa League round dates to my calendar - until Pelle went off when I gave in to the missus wanting to watch Eastenders.

Oh, and just to be clear, I watched none of the first half until I rewound the shot before the goal and the goal, saw 2 minutes of half time cobblers from Hoddle, and had the second half on in the background as I was adding the Champions League and Europa League round dates to my calendar - until Pelle went off when I gave in to the missus wanting to watch Eastenders.

:lol: Jesus, you crack me up, don't ever change!!