Pelle?

Roboze

Scoring for Italy seems to be pretty easy for him, so why has scoring for us become a problem? is he being marked out of games? or has our style changed to a way that isn't working for him?

A goal against Malta and a goal against England in a friendly isn't the biggest sample to make such a claim.

It's nothing to do with our style of play. He just looks like a man completely drained of confidence when he's played recently. Nothing wrong technically, he's just been making the wrong decisions at crucial times. Desperate to impress and always working his socks off... Hopefully he can can carry this bit off form back.

Actually, I do think it's the way in which Saints play that has contributed to his lack of goals. So much of our play comes through him and because of that he is the main focus of attention for the opposition. If we had someone else who was also regularly scoring for them to worry about, then maybe he would find a bit more space in the penalty area. Having said that - his limited scoring attempts have been pretty weak for the past couple of months. Hopefully the goal will have boosted his confidence for the rest of the season though :)

excatly Pedro, so we shoukld get off his case and let him find his form, people here seem to quick to get the daggers out! support your team, dont try and destroy it, we are fans not management!

I think you're going a bit over the top as I have not noticed anyone do that on this thread !

The message seems to be "great, he's got a couple of goals for his country, hope it gives him confidence to push on for Saints" !

Can't see where people are destroying anything :mcinnes:

I think you're going a bit over the top as I have not noticed anyone do that on this thread !

The message seems to be "great, he's got a couple of goals for his country, hope it gives him confidence to push on for Saints" !

Can't see where people are destroying anything :mcinnes:

I don't think that he was referring to this thread. Look elsewhere and you will find plenty with their knives out.

Actually, when it comes to the games, I've been pleasantly surprised by the support given to Pelle, the chanting of his name after his misses etc, people trying to support him through this bad patch rather than getting on his back too much. Well done Saints fans.

Yes, I note from my seat that the Kingsland North/Northam are good at supporting him, and it's really refreshing that they do. He appreciates it as well, given the acknowledgement he gives.

Pelle is a decent player in a bad piece of form it will come back. We do need to accept though that he is never going to be Ruud Van Nistlehorse clinical if he was that good he wouldn't be playing for saints! He may never have another run like he did at the start of this season but I'm convinced he will score goals on a regular basis for us.

All in all, he hasn't had a bad season at all. Just frustrating that the last few months have been so poor goal wise after a cracking start.

I did a quick bit of maths, and if he can manage to get three goals before the end of the campaign, that'll be 15 in all competitions for us this season. Would pretty much mirror Sir Rickie's appearances/goals the past couple of seasons too. So it's not bad going by any means.

Great header last night too!

Actually, when it comes to the games, I've been pleasantly surprised by the support given to Pelle, the chanting of his name after his misses etc, people trying to support him through this bad patch rather than getting on his back too much. Well done Saints fans.

I agree, and I think everyone would agree that he's working hard and contributing, even if he's over anxious and snatching at chances. A chant or two at Everton might go down well.

Pelle is a decent player in a bad piece of form it will come back. We do need to accept though that he is never going to be Ruud Van Nistlehorse clinical if he was that good he wouldn't be playing for saints! He may never have another run like he did at the start of this season but I'm convinced he will score goals on a regular basis for us.

How good would it be if we could find another James Beattie though

He's scored twice for Italy, not exactly a long term trend !

I'm pleased for him but not sure that we should get carried away !

You say he has scored twice for Italy, that is actually twice in three games. I think that's pretty good.

For those who think Pellé is a poor striker....well he's not the worst. At least according to some recent OPTA stats. which show that;

Connor Wickham and Swansea's Gomis convert less than 7% of their shots.

Next " worst of the bunch " is ...Danny Welbeck 9.76% followed by GP who has converted 9.88% of shots, but has the dubious stat. of hitting the woodwork SEVEN times.

They are only slightly worse than a list of other Prem. names..like...

Hernandez (are we going to bid for him?), and Valencia, Benteke, Ashley Barnes, Dzeko, Sturridge and Lukaku are all in Top 10 WORST, (or should we say unluckiest).

With the Everton game upcoming we can hope that Pellé is on the up, (but hopefully Lukaku can wait a bit before regaining his form...at least until next week).

Edited by david in sweden

For those who think Pellé is a poor striker....well he's not the worst. At least according to some recent OPTA stats. which show that;

Next " worst of the bunch " is ...Danny Welbeck 9.76% followed by GP who has converted 9.88% of shots, but has the dubious stat. of hitting the woodwork SEVEN times.

Hernandez (are we going to bid for him?), and Valencia, Benteke, Ashley Barnes, Dzeko, Sturridge and Lukaku are all in Top 10 WORST, (or should we say unluckiest).

With the Everton game upcoming we can hope that Pellé is on the up, (but hopefully Lukaku can wait a bit before regaining his form...at least until next week).

That (surely) would be Abel Hernandez and not Javier.

Scoring for Italy seems to be pretty easy for him, so why has scoring for us become a problem? is he being marked out of games? or has our style changed to a way that isn't working for him?

the way I see it...he missed some chances, then missed a few more, lost a bit of confidence, started snatching at chances, lost even more confidence, stopped shooting as often and the goals disappeared completely.

In the last few weeks he has slowly been getting a bit of confidence back, enough to actually attempt to score. Obviously he has scored a few for Italy (perhaps the change of scenery has helped take the pressure off) and hopefully he will carry that form over to us.

He may have missed chances for us in the last couple of games, but I've seen a slight change and with a bit of luck he'll get his goal this weekend.

As it was with Ricky, when Pelle plays well everything seems to go through him and Saintt become a real handful.

People keep referring to this as if it's just bad luck. But a shot against the woodwork is still a shot OFF target, meaning luck has nothing to do with it. The most recent one, against Burnley, was unforgivable. No more than 8 yards out with nobody closing him down and the keeper rooted to his line. He simply had to hit the target.

It's not just his poor conversion rate, it's the number of very easy chances that he fluffs completely that irks me.

Read an article on Teamtalk a few minutes ago that Pelle has covered more ground that any other forward this season. Obviously that is not taking in to account most other forwards play for a club that can afford to rest them but still quite an impressive and surprising stat. Perhaps we should encourage him to be a bit more selfish and give us more of a focal point to our attacks as a lad of his size should offer.

People keep referring to this as if it's just bad luck. But a shot against the woodwork is still a shot OFF target, meaning luck has nothing to do with it. The most recent one, against Burnley, was unforgivable. No more than 8 yards out with nobody closing him down and the keeper rooted to his line. He simply had to hit the target.

It's not just his poor conversion rate, it's the number of very easy chances that he fluffs completely that irks me.

I agree, he just seems to be trying too hard!

Q- Would we really want to lose Pellé to an Italian club..or ?

Personally, (like Toby)... I've quite grown to admire him from amongst the crop of " new players " we've acquired this season.

Admittedly, his "goal drought" has been a bit of a worry, but for him as a person, it must he a bit galling to have played most of his football outside of his home country.

He surely deserves the attention he's got from being a Prem. player, but now he's going on 30, and has finally got recognition in Italy.

I see him as " a sort of Rickie Lambert figure " who deserves some real adulation in the final years of his career.

I'd be sorry to see him go, but I also think it'd be a deserving tribute if an Italian club finally realised his value, and his country....as someone with international status.

Note: there must surely be a potential " replacement " somewhere in a file in the " Black Box ".

I'm I right in thinking Pelle has hit the wood work more this season than an other player in the PL? Small margins a few of those shots are a few inches to the to the side and he bags a few more goals and people don't make a big deal of it. He is a decent PL player and works hard but at the price we paid he was never going to a be a 20+ goals a season player.

excatly Pedro, so we shoukld get off his case and let him find his form, people here seem to quick to get the daggers out! support your team, dont try and destroy it, we are fans not management!

If a player has been woeful or out of form, how ever you want to describe it - for weeks then he deserves to be dropped and or criticised. That is not anything to do with lack of support for your team or disloyalty. For the record - Pelle has been pretty poor since Christmas for us and two goals for Italy against a makeshift defence and a minor football nation do not change that fact.

Pelle to lazio

Another load of tosh from the mirror

They must really hate us as a newspaper .

Pelle joined us because of RK so why would he what to leave us

We aren't a newspaper, they hate us as a football team ;)

Anyway, ignoring that, why would he want to leave us?

(1) Because he wants to play in Italy, where he has never been able to shine before

(2) Because he wants to live in Italy

(3) Because he wants to play in the CL

Other than that, difficult to know.

I'm I right in thinking Pelle has hit the wood work more this season than an other player in the PL?

Small margins a few of those shots are a few inches to the to the side and he bags a few more goals and people don't make a big deal of it.

He is a decent PL player and works hard but at the price we paid he was never going to a be a 20+ goals a season player.

You are !..the last stat. I read suggested he'd hit the woodwork SEVEN times this season....:(