Hernandez being linked again....

saint lard

If the price is right, I would. He's a tap in merchant and it's always good to have one of those in the team. I doubt we'll get him but it'll be an interesting summer for Koeman. (If he's not poached by someone...)

I've already decided we are buying Charlie Austin so will be ignoring future links with any other strikers.

Ings for me, he's a saints fan so will be amazing and will definitely want to join us, if we don't sign him it'll show a massive lack of ambition and I will start a strongly worded thread about it.

I'd take Ings because as you say he's a Saints fan so would be prepared to sit on the bench week in week out, coming on for a few minures here and there, because he knows it's for the benefit of the team.

You only have to look at his shot in the last home game which Davis saved. He cleverly put it just within reach of the keeper so he could pull off a decent save and get the fans on his side. Ings could easily have steared the shot inside the far post but didn't want to. That's how much he loves the club.

http://www.cityam.com/212830/saints-go-marching-profitability

No big signings in the summer

We want to leave this community asset in a better position than when we found it.”

If some fans are waiting on a couple of marquee signings this summer to help the team progress, they are likely to be disappointed.

He does also say the aim is to stay top half of the table and continue to build, which is the correct way of doing things for a club if our size. Also means there will undoubtedly be some quality players added just don't expect big names. Which I for one would be delighted with.

He does also say the aim is to stay top half of the table and continue to build, which is the correct way of doing things for a club if our size. Also means there will undoubtedly be some quality players added just don't expect big names. Which I for one would be delighted with.

Completely agree

Ings fits that bill. With only 4 letters in his surname it most definitely is not big.

Also, and I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but isn't he a Saints fan?

As a saints fan he'll probably take a lot less money to fulfil his ambition of playing the club he supports so not only would he not cost anything as he's out of contract he's wages would be next to nothing too. Plus he's only 21 so young and guaranteed to improve as well as playing for saints he'd be more hungry than a biggest loser contestant.

I'd take Ings because as you say he's a Saints fan so would be prepared to sit on the bench week in week out, coming on for a few minures here and there, because he knows it's for the benefit of the team.

You only have to look at his shot in the last home game which Davis saved. He cleverly put it just within reach of the keeper so he could pull off a decent save and get the fans on his side. Ings could easily have steared the shot inside the far post but didn't want to. That's how much he loves the club.

Maybe that's why Pelle isn't scoring as he wants to keep his options open to move to another club in the summer :)

Maybe that's why Pelle isn't scoring as he wants to keep his options open to move to another club in the summer :)

I'd go along with this. Obviously, he's well aware that the Barcelona management wouldn't be watching his games for the lowly Southampton, but would definitely watch his international duty. That's why he chose to score for Italy instead of us.

Didnt want to play for us when last linked coz we were not a massive club. So sod off now. End of

Possibly. On the other hand, if he will have a changed attitude about this issue like Bertrand does now he might be good for us. Also, we are getting slightly more massive and he is getting somewhat less world class.

Possibly. On the other hand, if he will have a changed attitude about this issue like Bertrand does now he might be good for us. Also, we are getting slightly more massive and he is getting somewhat less world class.

I don't think he was ever world class. But definitely a talented goalscorer. Beyond if he would want to come and if we could afford his wages, there is also the consideration that United might not sell him to a team they might now consider as a threat to the top 4.

As a saints fan he'll probably take a lot less money to fulfil his ambition of playing the club he supports so not only would he not cost anything as he's out of contract he's wages would be next to nothing too. Plus he's only 21 so young and guaranteed to improve as well as playing for saints he'd be more hungry than a biggest loser contestant.

Lol,Yep he will play for nothing. His agent will take a big cut on fees as well.his other yearning to join liverpool will disappear

I've already decided we are buying Charlie Austin so will be ignoring future links with any other strikers.

Hernandez would probably cost less than Austin. Austin is hugely valued by his club so they'll play hard ball over his fee. United don't want Hernandez so they'd be happy for us to take him at a bargain price.

Having said that I think I've read that Ings is out of contract so he'd be free and since it was Bournemouth (and us to a point) that developed him, we wouldn't even have to pay a one of those fees that we did with Clyne, I don't think?

Hernandez would probably cost less than Austin. Austin is hugely valued by his club so they'll play hard ball over his fee. United don't want Hernandez so they'd be happy for us to take him at a bargain price.

I'd have thought the wages hernandez would want are likely to be more of an issue than the transfer fee, tbh.

And fwiw, it's a bit of a sterile debate imho. Can't see this happening at all.

I'd have thought the wages hernandez would want are likely to be more of an issue than the transfer fee, tbh.

And fwiw, it's a bit of a sterile debate imho. Can't see this happening at all.

Player probably won't be keen on Saints but there is one way wages can be sorted - this is a club that allowed Nani to join Sporting Lisbon on loan for the season and agreed to pay all of his wages as a part of a deal to sign a distinctly average defender.

The same club has been strongly linked with Clyne.

Hmm.

If Chicharito did sign for Saints it would give Saints a lot of Mexican followers.

Don't underestimate this following. Football/Soccer/Futbol is the religion in Mexico.

Go into a Mexican restaurant with Chicharito on the back of a Saints shirt. 'Sure - I'd love a complementary beverage. Thank you'.

We'll see. A bit of a long shot this one I reckon.

Player probably won't be keen on Saints but there is one way wages can be sorted - this is a club that allowed Nani to join Sporting Lisbon on loan for the season and agreed to pay all of his wages as a part of a deal to sign a distinctly average defender.

Hmm.

Blimey, I hadn't thought of that.

:suspicious:

Hmm.

Seems Goal think the same thing:

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2015/04/02/10397302/manchester-united-step-up-interest-in-clyne?ICID=HP_BN_1?CMPID=TWUK_150402_ManUtdClyne

£15m + Hernandez they say.

To be fair if the deal is Clyne + £15m + Hernandez + Micah Richards in on a free that is an amazing deal

But as they say, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

Get it done.

Great deal.

Man Utd and SFC might well think it wonderful, but would he want to come here? Man Utd > Real > Saints? I know that we aren't the most unattractive club in the world to play for, but a bit of a step down for him. I'm not sure that he was too keen to come here when we tried to get him at the beginning of the season, but then he maybe knew that Real was on the cards. I am sure that there would be some big German/Spanish/Italian clubs in for him.

Man Utd and SFC might well think it wonderful, but would he want to come here? Man Utd > Real > Saints? I know that we aren't the most unattractive club in the world to play for, but a bit of a step down for him. I'm not sure that he was too keen to come here when we tried to get him at the beginning of the season, but then he maybe knew that Real was on the cards. I am sure that there would be some big German/Spanish/Italian clubs in for him.

it's also a lot do with "settling in" from the cultural aspect ,and having a team mate who speaks your own language.

At present, the only other native Spanish speaker is Gazzaniga...and his future must seem rather uncertain.

it's also a lot do with "settling in" from the cultural aspect ,and having a team mate who speaks your own language.

At present, the only other native Spanish speaker is Gazzaniga...and his future must seem rather uncertain.

I'm pretty sure that Jose Fonte would speak enough Spanish to get along with him fine. Most Portuguese speakers can.

Also, if Toby stays, he probably speaks some Spanish from his time at Atletico. And I would guess that Koeman does too from when he played at Barcelona (I doubt that he just learnt Catalan).

Perhaps Jay Rodriguez speaks a bit of Spanish too, what with his ancestry. Must sound odd with a Burnley accent.

15m + hernandez. That's unreal so definitely not true.

H would start every game here (he hasn't done that for a while) and help us consistently fight for top 6.

I just cant see him wanting to come here. Then i think about Lukaku going to Everton.

Lukaku's new agent seems to think that Everton was a mistake.

http://www1.skysports.com/transfer/news/20876/9787180/romelu-lukaku-is-better-than-diego-costa-and-should-not-have-joined-everton-says-mino-raiola

I'm pretty sure that Jose Fonte would speak enough Spanish to get along with him fine. Most Portuguese speakers can.

Also, if Toby stays, he probably speaks some Spanish from his time at Atletico. And I would guess that Koeman does too from when he played at Barcelona (I doubt that he just learnt Catalan).

Perhaps Jay Rodriguez speaks a bit of Spanish too, what with his ancestry. Must sound odd with a Burnley accent.

would be nice if that was a comforting thought.....but;

1) some Spanish people can understand Portguese, but don't know how it is the other way around?

2) Toby had ..one season?...in Spain, so perhaps he 's a bit limited there....

3) JayRod was asked the question .(by someone in an interview when he arrived) ...and said that despite his Dad's Spanish heritage, he never learned any Spanish....

Maybe it wouldn't be a problem, and everyone will speak English...(after a fashion), but anyone who has lived abroad knows that having someone around from your home country is a definite step up on " pigeon English conversations " with the locals.....

Looking back....for those who are not English speakers to any great degree, we used to " buy'em in pairs" some years ago.

Edited by david in sweden