Rodriguez has returned - BREAKING: NEW CONTRACT SIGNED

Saint-Armstrong

Keegan, Channon, Shearer...

We could be here all night.

thats not in the 20 years he has watched Saints though :)

so since 95 better than JayRod I would put:

Beattie

Pahars

Lambert

Admittedly there has been some ****e in that time but these three are better in my opinion. Beats a better finisher, Marian just pure genius and Rickie a better all round player.

having said that its great news him signing a new contract.

Reckon you might see him come on Vs Man City on the final day, more of a novelty thing than anything else.

If Koeman doesnt do sentiment, not giving Kelvin his 300th game at St Mary's but leaving it until Man City away, I cant see him giving Jay 10 mins at the end of a match either if he isnt considered fit enough to contribute fully.

Hope I'm wrong about both !

Excellent news. SFC fights back.

Toby, Clyne and Morgan next, pls.

To be fair, I wouldn't expect Morgan to be rushed into signing a new contract this closed season. If he doesn't go, he doesn't go - he still has 2 and bit years left. We may, just may, get one more season out of him - but I wouldn't begrudge him a move, he's given us 7 years and we've watched him grow from a skinny little french lad, to one of the best midfielders in Europe. Deserves to play at the highest stage.

20odd years, who would you suggest is better in that time?

Shearer left in '93, so he's out, but for outright strikers Beattie, Pahars, arguably Lambert in the first Prem season back up, even Kevin Phillips is in with a shout if we're talking about being pretty decent for about a year, Henri Camara maybe too.

If we're referencing goalscorers from attacking midfield positions, erm, Le Tissier, arguably Lallana. Egil?

1998 era Kevin Davies is on the periphery of this discussion and left too quickly, only having around the same kind of impact as Rodriguez over a similar timescale.

I will accept that he's probably better than Dowie, Moody, Evans, Hirst, M Hughes and Shipperley, Osvaldo's Saints record, Billy Sharp and anyone who only played for us outside the Prem.

He's got a ton of potential, but aside from top scoring last season and being "pretty good" he hasn't really done all that much to be claimed "best in 20 years".

Shearer left in '93, so he's out, but for outright strikers Beattie, Pahars, arguably Lambert in the first Prem season back up, even Kevin Phillips is in with a shout if we're talking about being pretty decent for about a year, Henri Camara maybe too.

If we're referencing goalscorers from attacking midfield positions, erm, Le Tissier, arguably Lallana. Egil?

1998 era Kevin Davies is on the periphery of this discussion and left too quickly, only having around the same kind of impact as Rodriguez over a similar timescale.

I will accept that he's probably better than Dowie, Moody, Evans, Hirst, M Hughes and Shipperley, Osvaldo's Saints record, Billy Sharp and anyone who only played for us outside the Prem.

He's got a ton of potential, but aside from top scoring last season and being "pretty good" he hasn't really done all that much to be claimed "best in 20 years".

Sorry 1992....anorak

Davies is actually a very good comparison in terms of time and impact. Good call!

Great to have him sign, having the greatest Colombian Footballer in the world back in our squad next season is a real statement of intent.

Clearly Dr Barry Gale has had a role in High Pressing him to re-sign

I thnk it's more of Pechino's influence that created it

Beattie

Pahars

Lambert

Admittedly there has been some ****e in that time but these three are better in my opinion. Beats a better finisher, Marian just pure genius and Rickie a better all round player.

Maybe Beattie edges it actually, really similar players too. I'd put Beattie and Rodriguez above Lambert and Pahars, I like athletic strikers.

Excellent news. SFC fights back.

Toby, Clyne and Morgan next, pls.

I'd still be OK with Clyne and Morgan going, although with the recent news about Clyne...

Personally I think we need to sell one of Morgan or Clyne to improve the squad as much as we need, with hopefully Austin and two keepers coming in, plus a few AM to replace Davis, Elia and Djuricic. Unless we're planning on bumping up McQueen and Hesketh.

Christer Warren?

Be very interesting to see how J Rod does next season. He had a poor season under Adkins but came alive under Poch. Roko obviously has a different style plus J Rod is coming back from a very serious injury.

He'll benefit under the high press.

Jay on FB this morning. Brilliant:

"I thought I would leave it a few days until all the official news was out about my return to training.

I am so happy to have signed a new four-year contract with Saints and whilst there was so much speculation about "will he... won't he" then to be fair it was other people talking and not me.

A new contract wasn't such a priority for me, but getting fit was. That said now it's signed I couldn't be happier.

Commitment works both ways and it’s been great to know that Southampton has given me pretty much unconditional support during this very difficult period.

Whilst all the rumours and speculation surrounding my future has been flattering it has never changed my resolve and my priority which has been to get fit and get ready for a return to the Number 9 shirt at Saints, playing in the Premiership and to begin to make my way back into the England set-up.

I’ve kept my own counsel as have my management team who have now taken on the brilliant guise of ‘Team Rodriguez’ and I'll now let my football do the talking and with luck that might happen sooner than later.

The support of Southampton FC and the physio team in particular has been second-to-none, and I thank them for everything in the past year or so.

Likewise my family and friends who have always been there for me… especially my fiancé.

It’s been a great season for Saints. Let’s hope for more of the same and more in 2015/16 and with luck a few trips to Europe!

Thanks for all your kind thoughts and messages.

"We March On..."

Beattie

Pahars

Lambert

I'd add Crouch to that list, he wasn't here long but was outstanding, no disrespect to Jay who I also think is an excellent player and I don't think putting him in the same bracket as the players listed on this page is exactly insulting it's not like anyone is saying Uwe Rosler or Delgado were better!

Very strange to hear a level headed non headline spinning footballer

Not that JRod comes across as one of those.

Would love to see him on the bench Sunday !!!

If he were to come on he would get a great reception from both sets of fans.

"I thought I would leave it a few days until all the official news was out about my return to training.

I am so happy to have signed a new four-year contract with Saints and whilst there was so much speculation about "will he... won't he" then to be fair it was other people talking and not me.

A new contract wasn't such a priority for me, but getting fit was. That said now it's signed I couldn't be happier.

Commitment works both ways and it’s been great to know that Southampton has given me pretty much unconditional support during this very difficult period.

Whilst all the rumours and speculation surrounding my future has been flattering it has never changed my resolve and my priority which has been to get fit and get ready for a return to the Number 9 shirt at Saints, playing in the Premiership and to begin to make my way back into the England set-up.

I’ve kept my own counsel as have my management team who have now taken on the brilliant guise of ‘Team Rodriguez’ and I'll now let my football do the talking and with luck that might happen sooner than later.

The support of Southampton FC and the physio team in particular has been second-to-none, and I thank them for everything in the past year or so.

Likewise my family and friends who have always been there for me… especially my fiancé.

It’s been a great season for Saints. Let’s hope for more of the same and more in 2015/16 and with luck a few trips to Europe!

"We March On..."

Proof, if any were needed, that rumours are just that. Rumours.

"We March On..."

Good stuff. Makes a nice change from last summers crap.

"We March On..."

Excellent, big contrast from J Rod and Fonte to Lallana and Lovren. Imagine if we'd had Jay fit and available for some of this year, some of those draws and 1-0 defeats in 2015 would have been different.

I'd rather he gave this one a miss. Being superstitious and him getting injured in this fixture last season, like...

I'm with Alpine on this (blimey!). Utterly pointless to risk him for this game - would far rather he had the additional month or two, plus a full pre-season to get him up to speed.

I don't think he should start, but can't see much risk in giving him 10 minutes at the end if things are looking decent for us or it's already a lost cause.

Generally I don't think we should be too worried about giving him a run out, but it would be a reminder to him of what he's been missing for next season to make sure his pre-season is as dedicated as his rehab, rather than it being a psychological barrier that he now has to do pre-season to get a game.

I certainly don't give a monkey's about it being the same place he got injured, that's just nonsense and if anything I'd rather he got back on that horse when it's not going to affect anything.

Though I assume pulling him from the U21s has meant he won't make the bench on Sunday.

Just seen this. He didn't need to do that, so fair play to him. It makes a difference seeing comments like this from Jose and Jay, compared to last seasons ''my head is in Liverpool'' and ''let me sign this Liverpool shirt for you'' cock-fest.

Look forward to see him running riot with Mane next season - it could be epic.

Just seen this. He didn't need to do that, so fair play to him. It makes a difference seeing comments like this from Jose and Jay, compared to last seasons ''my head is in Liverpool'' and ''let me sign this Liverpool shirt for you'' cock-fest.

Look forward to see him running riot with Mane next season - it could be epic.

Breathe of fresh air

If JRod can replicate his form from last season, our front line is going to be amazing