Leave pelle out ffs.

Roger

He wouldn't have fluffed half the chances Pelle has been presented with.

By the same token, had Rodriguez been fit i think we'd have finished top 4. Frustrating really.

Frustrating is the word that describes our season to me, good season but I just can't evacuate the feeling that we've spoilt the proverbial ship either through stubborness on someone's part or for want of the old ha'porth of tar.

Didn't see yesterday's game (day out at t'Rugby) so nothing to say about that.

There is a thread about Ings on here, he seems to be the player a lot of people on here think is the answer.

800 minutes without scoring and counting lol. Remember how Pelle was rated when he was at that level without scoring.

too many on here think that being a centre forward is easygoing, especially when he is isolated so much. The opposition have worked out that is you put a couple of defenders on him our game is nullified.

Playing up front is not like it is in the park where you can score for fun

If we create as many clear chances as we do now for Pelle (i.e 1 every 2000000 minutes), then I doubt it.

that simply is not true. we put in decent crosses and create a few chances (hence why he has hit the woodwork loads)...his problem, he fluffs very easy chances and barely moves

obviously, we need to create more but lets not pretend we are not at all

that simply is not true. we put in decent crosses and create a few chances (hence why he has hit the woodwork loads)...his problem, he fluffs very easy chances and barely moves

we're not creating much at all and our crossing hasn't been great.

He wouldn't have fluffed half the chances Pelle has been presented with.

By the same token, had Rodriguez been fit i think we'd have finished top 4. Frustrating really.

there is a reason why Lambert has hardly kicked a ball this season despite Liverpool struggling for striker options.

Well, the Canal+ experts were unanimous about him against Burnley, he lacks composure and snatches at any chance he gets. It was Remy Garde and that bloke who used to play for Bolton, Habib Beye I think is his name.

Well, the Canal+ experts were unanimous about him against Burnley, he lacks composure and snatches at any chance he gets. It was Remy Garde and that bloke who used to play for Bolton, Habib Beye I think is his name.

yesterday, his movement around the box was a total non event. when we do put a half decent cross in, more often than not, it has to be pin point to him as he rarely moves much to get a shot/header in.

his shot in the 1st half (near poster), which was a good effort was a rare one. he does not do that no where near enough.

yesterday, his movement around the box was a total non event. when we do put a half decent cross in, more often than not, it has to be pin point to him as he rarely moves much to get a shot/header in.

his shot in the 1st half (near poster), which was a good effort was a rare one. he does not do that no where near enough.

If you say so, I went (ok ok but I got a free ticket) to watch Clermont-Saracens, not bad actually.

Have to say i agee with this. He simply does not attack the ball in the box.

To be fair to Pelle, that 2nd goal he scored had been coming for weeks. I'm sure he's hit the bar so many times from that position over the last few months. The first goal lifted him and he worked his arse off which was pleasing to see. He's not the quickest player, heck I'm quicker, but this was the Pelle we loved during the first half of this season. Let's hope he can end the season with a bang, as he's always had the ability - it just hadn't happened for him and it hit his confidence as a result.

Next season is massive for him, if he's still first choice. Needs to score consistently through-out the season. Looked a lot better today although still misses a lot of headers from balls played from the back.

He's better when he's got someone buzzing around and playing off of him - i.e Mane. He played very close to Pelle today and I felt it helped his game a lot.

There have been a lot of games this season where Mane has been hugging the touchline and Pelle has been left totally isolated. He did have a poor patch, but that wasn't just down to Pelle - I just don't think we were creating enough around him.

He's not a world beater or a mega-player, but he's a good player who will put the ball in the back of the net more often than not.

I reckon we'd have finished top 4 this season with Lambert up front instead of Pelle.

Lambert has 3 goals in 35 appearances this season in all competitions. True there have been a lot of late sub appearances in there but he has hardly forced his way into the team.

Pelle has 12 League goals this season which compares with 13 for Lambert last season. You could argue Lambert would set up more goals for his team mates but for who? None of the supporting cast look like scoring at the moment and it's not through lack of chances.

Apart from the ridiculous back heel that (eventually) led to the 1st goal, thought GP had a great game today although there is still room for improvement. Maybe next season.

That's one thing that does annoy about his game at times, he tries to do the extravagant stuff at the wrong times in the wrong places. That was a criminal give away.

Apart from the ridiculous back heel that (eventually) led to the 1st goal, thought GP had a great game today although there is still room for improvement. Maybe next season.

I love the fact the Chapel, out of nowhere, burst into a Graziano song, which he appreciated, and clapped his thanks. Then literally 2 mins later, scored.

The Chapel gets credit for that one as far as I'm concerned. Loved the fact we've kept supporting him through his goal drought.

(By "we" I obviously exclude "Saintsweb")

Lambert has 3 goals in 35 appearances this season in all competitions. True there have been a lot of late sub appearances in there but he has hardly forced his way into the team.

Pelle has 12 League goals this season which compares with 13 for Lambert last season. You could argue Lambert would set up more goals for his team mates but for who? None of the supporting cast look like scoring at the moment and it's not through lack of chances.

Pelle is not fit to lace Lambert's bootlaces

I have been pretty vocal against him in the second half of this season but he was excellent today. He still doesnt win enough arial duels recently (he did win the one that mattered though) which is strange as early in the season he was excellent.

I think a lot today was because he refrained from the flicks choosing to get the ball under control and pick a pass.

Of course he has parts of his game to work on but if we had todays pellè all season we'd arguably still be a top 4 challenger

Of course he has parts of his game to work on but if we had todays pellè all season we'd arguably still be a top 4 challenger

Or, as per today's evidence, if you'd been a better supporter all season, we'd arguably still be a top 4 challenger.

Thanks Smirking.

Pelle is not fit to lace Lambert's bootlaces

i agree, he is far to good to lace Lambert's boots, After Lambert gets sold to some random fav for relegation club / Championship club / League 1 club at the start of next season, im sure Pelle will offer him a job and remind Lambert about the life here at the South Coast where the fans loved him and that he gave all that away to spend possibly his last season in the prem as a bench warmer at the club that already got rid of him once and now look set to do it again.......... Dont get me wrong i loved Lambert, i will always remember the days he wore the Saints shirt and is a legend in my eyes, But the moment he left to go Liverpool was the day he retired in my view.

Or, as per today's evidence, if you'd been a better supporter all season, we'd arguably still be a top 4 challenger.

Thanks Smirking.

Thats for the kind words lou, Im good, but Im not quite to the levels of mentally making people better yet. Otherwise it wouldnt be me doing the cooking in my house

Edited by Smirking_Saint

Fair enough Lambert only scored one more goal last season, but he was one of a handful of players in europe to get double figures in both goals and assists.

Pelle has never had the luxury of Lallana and Rodriguez playing around him. I wonder how many chances Pelle has created, only for Davis, JWP or Tadic to smack them into the car park. Pelle has also been unlucky hitting the woodwork about 8 times and I'd still personally give him that Bridcutt o.g. Fine margins but Pelle could easily be on 17 or 18 goals with a bit of luck.

Pelle has never had the luxury of Lallana and Rodriguez playing around him. I wonder how many chances Pelle has created, only for Davis, JWP or Tadic to smack them into the car park. Pelle has also been unlucky hitting the woodwork about 8 times and I'd still personally give him that Bridcutt o.g. Fine margins but Pelle could easily be on 17 or 18 goals with a bit of luck.

exactly, this is his first season in the Prem, he's learning..... he is quality and i thinknext year he will prove that.....(hopefully)

I reckon that the majority of those were late sub.apps. His actual game time (in mins.) must be very low. Do you know how many games he has actually started ?

In games I have seen him, he rarely gets on the pitch until the 80th minute....occasionally even in stoppage time when they were chasing the game.

Rodgers has ignored the fact that they played together for 5 years for Saints, and complemented each other. Now they are rarely on the pitch at the same time.

Pelle has no real "partner" to assist him. Tadic started like a train, but seems totally out of it now. GP is a good target man, but is marked by two, sometimes three defenders.

Edited by david in sweden

Pelle has never had the luxury of Lallana and Rodriguez playing around him. I wonder how many chances Pelle has created, only for Davis, JWP or Tadic to smack them into the car park. Pelle has also been unlucky hitting the woodwork about 8 times and I'd still personally give him that Bridcutt o.g.

Fine margins but Pelle could easily be on 17 or 18 goals with a bit of luck.

Agree totally.

For all their creative play, neither Davis or JWP have troubled keepers very much with on-target shots. The average MF player should be good for 3-4 goals a season.

Ings has t scored for 9 games but we have loads shouting for him to join us. Pelle is not Lambert, but I doubt Lambert would have scored many with the players around him. When he played at the top he did not win many in the air.It was his quick brain and ground play that stood out

Ings has t scored for 9 games but we have loads shouting for him to join us. Pelle is not Lambert, but I doubt Lambert would have scored many with the players around him. When he played at the top he did not win many in the air.It was his quick brain and ground play that stood out

you nailed it re lambert. His football brain and play with his back to goal was exceptional which pelle cannot touch. Pelle however is more agile, more of a threat in and around the box, a little quicker and closes down much better.

He stays very central which can be frustrating, especially if not on his game as he just doesn't win the ball and feels like we are playing with 10 men. Thankfully he was back on song yesterday finally and put in a very good performance.

lambert would drop deep left and right, hold it up and create space for jrod and lallana. I wish pelle would do this more but guess he is instructed to stay central. We look so easy to defend against if pelle is off game.

lambert didn't win that much outside his own box with his head and was getting slower and slower, very much a threat at set pieces and pens but was not looking threatening in open play.

thats my 2 cents. Lambert is clearly the better footballer but his Body looks like it has gone to me.

Thought he took his goals well yesterday , and was probably the best he has played for quite a while. Good harassing for his 1st and a great cross by long for his 2nd goal.

He needs to keep it up for the remaining 4 games.

Plus it could be argued that Pellè could have claimed a hatrick away to West Ham, one goal scored, one wrongly disallowed and he got a touch to one of Schneiderlin's goals.

Ultimately, the problem is the same with people moaning about Lambert last season. The expectations of what we can get from our centre forward are overly high. To get a Premier League striker that scores, holds the ball up, links play, has pace, is good in the air, presses from the front - how many strikers are out there that can do all that to a good level?

Plus it could be argued that Pellè could have claimed a hatrick away to West Ham, one goal scored, one wrongly disallowed and he got a touch to one of Schneiderlin's goals.

Ultimately, the problem is the same with people moaning about Lambert last season. The expectations of what we can get from our centre forward are overly high. To get a Premier League striker that scores, holds the ball up, links play, has pace, is good in the air, presses from the front - how many strikers are out there that can do all that to a good level?

I dont think it is high to expect a goal in 14 games?