Summer 2015 Hcdajfu thread ?

simo

Must admit when we where league 1 I really grew to dislike Austin he always seemed to score against us and give it large seemed like a bit of a ****. Fair play to the bloke though he has proved he can cut it in the PL and I wouldn't mind him giving it large to opposition fans in a saints shirt. 10 million seems good value to.

Leroy Fer is an interesting one. I think he has ability, but he's been in 2 situations these past 2 seasons whereby he hasn't really been able to show it, as he's been shoehorned into **** squads.

It'll be interesting to see how he does surrounded by better players and a better structure. But it would be a gamble.

Leroy Fer is an interesting one. I think he has ability, but he's been in 2 situations these past 2 seasons whereby he hasn't really been able to show it, as he's been shoehorned into **** squads.

It'll be interesting to see how he does surrounded by better players and a better structure. But it would be a gamble.

Has shown nothing that makes me think he shouldn't be in a relegated side!

Soooo predicted next seasons XI based on rumours so far;

----------------Oyland---------------

Tripper--Van Dijk--Fonte--Bertrand

--------Clasie------Wanyama-------

--Rodriguez---Tadic----Mane-------

----------------Austin----------------

Subs: KD (Forster and Oyland to battle it out for No.1), Yoshida, Gardos, Targett, Vilhelna/Reed, S.Davis/Ramirez (I would rather have him here than more Elia or Djuricic loans), Pelle.

When you add in depth provided by some of our youth players I think we could have another good season.

If we can pull of those transfers, and keep Wanyama, then that side doesn't look too bad! A bit weaker than the current side but we should still be top 10 with that team.

If we can pull of those transfers, and keep Wanyama, then that side doesn't look too bad! A bit weaker than the current side but we should still be top 10 with that team.

Id say it looks better in attack, but slightly weaker in defence (not by a great deal though).

Ideal world for me is that team retaining Clyne and Alderweireld. I would also say Schneiderlin, but I think that is too far fetched.

Id say it looks better in attack, but slightly weaker in defence (not by a great deal though).

Ideal world for me is that team retaining Clyne and Alderweireld. I would also say Schneiderlin, but I think that is too far fetched.

we could have a brilliant first 11. it is after that where we fall short.

what do we do if Tadic drops off for 4 months? or pelle goes 14 games without a goal, wanyama is suspended for 6 games a season and loses his passes shoes

we had a very strong 1st 11 this season. it went to rats shyt when we had to change it a fair bit

Is Austin really any different to JRod or Long? £10m seems too much to pay for a player from a very poor relegated side IMO and I'm not convinced he would suit our game. But hey he's a Saint fan so he must be a good fit right?

I don't think he's a Saints fan, is he? Showed he can score goals at this level though and I think he'd fit our game better than Hernandez or Ings would. Worth a gamble for £10m, you don't tend to get many strikers at this level with a record like his.

Is Austin really any different to JRod or Long? £10m seems too much to pay for a player from a very poor relegated side IMO and I'm not convinced he would suit our game. But hey he's a Saint fan so he must be a good fit right?

Judging by that you haven't seen him play.

Is Austin really any different to JRod or Long?

Yes, they are very different. A key attribute for Rodriguez and Long is their pace, although not slow Austin's game isn't really about pace.

£10m seems too much to pay for a player from a very poor relegated side IMO

He is the 4th top scorer in the Premier League in 2014/15 despite playing for a very poor side that doesn't create many good chances for their strikers. He has been living off scraps and has done extremely well.

Aguero 25

Kane 20

Diego Costa 19

Austin 17

Sanchez 16

Giroud 14

Hazard 14

Benteke 12

Berahino 12

Rooney 12

£10m for Charlie Austin would be an absolute bargain in the current transfer market! How would you feel if we signed any of the others in that list for £10m?

But hey he's a Saint fan so he must be a good fit right?

He doesn't support Saints.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Yes, have you ever seen him play?

He is the 4th top scorer in the Premier League in 2014/15 despite playing for a poor side that doesn't create many good chances for their strikers.

Aguero 25

Kane 20

Diego Costa 19

Austin 17

Sanchez 16

£10m would be a bargain in the current transfer market!

He doesn't support Saints.

Other than that, he makes a good point.

MLG 1 - 0 CaM

Other than that, he makes a good point.

MLG 1 - 0 CaM

Comments were somewhat tongue in cheek, however I genuinely am not sure Austin has proven conclusively that he has what we need. I guess he is probably no more of a gamble than any other player in our range of possible signings.

Comments were somewhat tongue in cheek, however I genuinely am not sure Austin has proven conclusively that he has what we need. I guess he is probably no more of a gamble than any other player in our range of possible signings.

What... goals?

Who would you recommend?

I know it's never simple. But I will be very disappointed if we don't sign him and someone like Stoke or Newcastle sign him.

Perhaps he is the type of player that would improve those types of teams, but does that mean he would be a good fit with us? Actually, I can imagine us stumping up a daft overinflated bid of £12m now someone has gone in at £7m! lol

Perhaps he is the type of player that would improve those types of teams, but does that mean he would be a good fit with us? Actually, I can imagine us stumping up a daft overinflated bid of £12m now someone has gone in at £7m! lol

Who else is gettable for us though? I mean with Austin we're talking about a 17 goal PL striker for £10m. That's incredible value for the return.

I guess some people would like us to go and flash the cash on someone like Dybala - but I doubt he'd hit 17 goals in the PL.

I think buying Austin is like buying goals, and £10m for guaranteed goals is something I'd try and get wrapped up asap.

Who else is gettable for us though? I mean with Austin we're talking about a 17 goal PL striker for £10m. That's incredible value for the return.

I guess some people would like us to go and flash the cash on someone like Dybala - but I doubt he'd hit 17 goals in the PL.

I think buying Austin is like buying goals, and £10m for guaranteed goals is something I'd try and get wrapped up asap.

Yeah, getting Austin for £10m would be great business. The only thing I'm not sure about because I've not seen enough of him is how his hold-up play is.

Hell of a finisher (with both feet too). His goal @ St Mary's this season was quality.

Arsenal: Mathieu Flamini, Abou Diaby, Damian Martinez

Aston Villa: Darren Bent, Ron Vlaar, Chris Herd, Enda Stevens

Burnley: Dean Marney, Steven Reid, Ross Wallace, Michael Duff, Danny Ings

Chelsea: Didier Drogba, Gael Kakuta

Crystal Palace: Shola Ameobi, Jerome Thomas, Brede Hangeland, Owen Garvan, Damien Delaney

Everton: Sylvain Distin, Antolin Alcaraz, Luke Garbutt

Hull City: Steve Harper, Liam Rosenior, Paul McShane, Alex Bruce, Stephen Quinn, Yannick Sagbo, Maynor Figueroa, Joe Dudgeon

Leicester: Esteban Cambiasso, Matthew Upson, Paul Konchesky, Marcin Wasilewski, Dean Hammond, Conrad Logan, Zoumana Bakayogo

Liverpool: Kolo Toure, Glen Johnson, Jon Flanagan, Jerome Sinclair

Manchester City: Richard Wright, James Milner, Micah Richards, John Guidetti

Manchester United: Tom Cleverley, James Wilson, Ben Amos

Newcastle United: Jonas Guitierrez, Ryan Taylor, Sam Ameobi, Freddie Woodman

Queen Park Rangers: Shaun Wright-Phillips, Rio Ferdinand, Joey Barton, Richard Dunne, Brian Murphy, Bobby Zamora, Karl Henry, Clint Hill, Alejandro Faurlin

Southampton: Artur Boruc

Stoke City: Jonathan Walters, Thomas Sorensen, Peter Odemwingie, Andy Wilkinson, Wilson Palacios

Sunderland: Wes Brown, Anthony Reveillere

Swansea City: Gerhard Tremmel, David Cornell

Tottenham Hotspur: Brad Friedel

West Bromwich Albion: Boaz Myhill, Chris Baird, Gareth McAuley, Youssuf Mulumbu, Claudio Yacob

West Ham: Guy Demel, Carlton Cole, Jussi Jaaskelainen, Nene

Flamini, Yacob and Mulumbu are interesting as midfield replacements/back up. Micah Richards is also one i'm hoping we sign to replace Clyne.

Jesus christ, the media just doesn't give up.

Seemingly not, but they do have to fill their pages out. No one believes them, so if they get it right once in a while they can then say how wonderful they are. If they get it wrong, it's just forgotten.

'Signing Fonte could help bring the best out of former Saints teammate Dejan Lovren, with the pair impressing together in the past'

And of that doesn't work they can buy Morgan and Wanyama too.

Crystal Palace: Shola Ameobi, Jerome Thomas, Brede Hangeland, Owen Garvan, Damien Delaney

Hull City: Steve Harper, Liam Rosenior, Paul McShane, Alex Bruce, Stephen Quinn, Yannick Sagbo, Maynor Figueroa, Joe Dudgeon

Leicester: Esteban Cambiasso, Matthew Upson, Paul Konchesky, Marcin Wasilewski, Dean Hammond, Conrad Logan, Zoumana Bakayogo

Queen Park Rangers: Shaun Wright-Phillips, Rio Ferdinand, Joey Barton, Richard Dunne, Brian Murphy, Bobby Zamora, Karl Henry, Clint Hill, Alejandro Faurlin

Stoke City: Jonathan Walters, Thomas Sorensen, Peter Odemwingie, Andy Wilkinson, Wilson Palacios

West Bromwich Albion: Boaz Myhill, Chris Baird, Gareth McAuley, Youssuf Mulumbu, Claudio Yacob

Flamini, Yacob and Mulumbu are interesting as midfield replacements/back up. Micah Richards is also one i'm hoping we sign to replace Clyne.

Thanks for collating :thumbup:

Might be media rubbish, but would sum up Rodgers for me. Saints have good defence, so sign Lovren. Doesn't work, so sign his CB partner. At no point actually look into the reasons why saints have good defence.

I was having the same discussion months ago with a couple of scousers I work with. Sometimes you need to look at who the player plays with before you actually spunk £20mil.

Wilson, Milner, and Richards would be great from that list. Add in Austin, Vilhenna, a new keeper, Toby and Clyne signing and maybe a wide player and that would be a very good summer!!

I reckon Milner's nailed on to join Chelsea. He's a very Mourinho-type player.

Seems so odd. I mean I'm no football manager but I can see the obvious. Remember than brum team that had a good defensive record under mcleish? People signed the CBs and were surprised it didn't mean a good defence. Yet their side had been set up to be defensive.

Ours isn't necessarily set up not to concede, but we do play two of the best DMs in the league whenever we can. I rate Fonte and Toby highly, but they get more protection than most.

You're right, it isn't just the centre backs, it's not just the full backs, or the GK, or the DM - it's all of them combined in a tactical shape which plays to all of their strengths.

I remember the Brum team you were referring to - Roger Johnson and Scott Dann were their centre backs. Scott Dann is doing ok at palace, but Johnson has fallen off the face and was released by Charlton last month.

Only one I would take from that list is Ben Amos..........just my opinion :)

my god there is some chuff on that list! Without bein all Football Manager and signing players for squad padding, the names that initially stand out on that list for Saints are

Vlaar (decent free even if knocking on a tad)

Ings (obviously though I assume he's LFC bound)

Flannagan (if fit)

and possibly Richards and Guidetti from City.

Cleverly had a decent season for Villa but he's not what we need. Oh, and that Artur Boruc would sort the keeping issues out. ;-)

Do Saints do bargain basement anymore though? I bet 'Arry could knock up a full squad with those players...

my god there is some chuff on that list! Without bein all Football Manager and signing players for squad padding, the names that initially stand out on that list for Saints are

Flannagan (if fit)

Cleverly had a decent season for Villa but he's not what we need. Oh, and that Artur Boruc would sort the keeping issues out. ;-)

Do Saints do bargain basement anymore though? I bet 'Arry could knock up a full squad with those players...

And the total payroll would be higher than ours.

Flannagan (if fit)

Harry would sign all of them and then complain that the squad wasn't big enough and that most of them haven't had much playing time so they're all rusty ...

From that very long list, I would take Ben Amos (as per Sarnia's comment) and Kolo Toure. No, I'm not joking, but he's a versatile, experienced player who is happy to act as back up and is someone the younger players can learn from. He's also "won stuff" so has that experience on his side too. No one else in that list really jumps out at me though, well, except Drogba, but I expect he'll sign for Chelsea again for another year?