Summer 2015 Hcdajfu thread ?

simo

Caulker would be ok as a squad option but not as the replacement for Toby.

Yup. I'd hope he'd be cover for Gardos and we look to bring in someone else to match Toby's quality. Personally I'd say that Yoshida should get the nod ahead of Caulker if he does sign.

Getting in Caulker and VvD would be decent business.

Not convinced we need two CB's, just need a top drawer one.

Could Turnball/Stephens play 5 games this season? Yeah probably.

Caulker doesn't really interest me, I think he's poor, and too slow. Doesn't have the footballing brain to anticipate either IMO. Happy to be proven wrong though...

I'd take Caulker on a season long loan as a replacement for Gardos but I'd still hope we'd be after a top centre back to replace Toby. And as others have said I'd prefer we'd just try to get 1 top quality centre back and allow 4th/5th spot go to Stephens/Turnbull. Dunno if I'm being too greedy thinking we need another DM aswell.

Not convinced we need two CB's, just need a top drawer one.

Could Turnball/Stephens play 5 games this season? Yeah probably.

Caulker doesn't really interest me, I think he's poor, and too slow. Doesn't have the footballing brain to anticipate either IMO. Happy to be proven wrong though...

A real quality defender is without question. Getting in Caulker on loan would be a decent move though, especially if we're going to try and compete in 4 competitions.

I'd take Caulker on a season long loan as a replacement for Gardos but I'd still hope we'd be after a top centre back to replace Toby. And as others have said I'd prefer we'd just try to get 1 top quality centre back and allow 4th/5th spot go to Stephens/Turnbull. Dunno if I'm being too greedy thinking we need another DM aswell.[/QUOTE]

I agree - would rather see us sign another DM with a bit of physical stature as better backup for Wanyama than sign a 4th choice CB (as long as we get a good replacement for Toby of course!)

A real quality defender is without question. Getting in Caulker on loan would be a decent move though, especially if we're going to try and compete in 4 competitions.

Fair point.

Would be interested to know how much we had 2 CB's missing last season at once.

I guess the problem is that if one gets injured for 3/4 months, then if another picks up a niggle then it's down to either Stephens or Turnbull to step up.

As others have said, if Caulker is on small wages, and brought in as fourth choice, I have no problem with that, but we need a top CB to replace Toby, preferably one who is very happy with the ball at his feet. Could we persuade Ashley Williams to come here? Were rumours he was off to Palace. If he good enough to be first choice?

I think Caulker would be a decent acquisition bit hope he's not the main CB signing. At Spurs he gained rave reviews before AVB decided to ship him out - clearly he wanted different players - and then played every minute for Cardiff. Redknapp then bought him for QPR not in itself a testament to his ability but had Redknapp remained at Spurs it's not to far a stretch to suggest that Caulker would be established and probably for England. He has talent and working with Koeman may well be the making of him. He is only 23 and so still to enter his footballing prime.

I don't really mind Caulker, he was in a really crap team. Would obviously prefer Van Dijk but who knows how that will go, regardless who we sign I can't see Fonte & Yoshida not being our CB pairing for the first month or so.

If we got Caulker on loan we could buy another DM to put up a solid screen when playing better teams or away in EL - not sure who that would be though/

Being linked with loans for 2 relegated defenders doesn't fill me with confidence!

This is what I was thinking too. And although I'm sure loan deals have their merits, I'd rather be signing someone on a permanent basis.

You can argue either way with Toby, it was a successful loan whilst he was here, but then we have to go through the whole palava each close season to get a replacement (assuming we signed a CB on loan), and we don't have a settled side etc. Would much rather have 2 x Fonte's permanently than a different loanee (or two) each season.

Without knowing much about him, I'm ignorantly hoping we can sign someone better than Chester anyway, so not worried if we miss out on him.

http://www.corrieredellosport.it/news/calcio/calcio-mercato/2015/07/28-2758387/mario_suarez_tifer_sempre_atletico_fiorentina_che_chance_/

That's one of my most favoured european experienced DM's gone then...Mario Suarez joining Fiorentina......I think he might have worked out well at Saints and am a bit surprised not many others felt the same way...ex Atletico Madrid DM's are usually very good....I wonder if we are still secretly still hoping for a change of heart from our Polish Seville target Grzegorz Krychowiak...surely the equal number 1 on our replace Toby list/ Morgan list with Jordy? I hope if we offer enough cash in wages and fee it can happen but you'd understand that he's a CL player and has outgrown Europa league having won the thing twice in a row...he must surely only go to a creme de la creme team...

West Brom have agreed an 8 million pound fee for Chester.

I believe Hull probably used an journo to leak a story of another club being interested in Chester, to try and push WBA hand and get their offer over the line. Pretty standard trick to be honest.

SEVILLA OFFER FOR PRAET ‘ridiculous’

Anderlecht president Roger Vanden Stock has described Sevilla’s offer for Belgium playmaker Dennis Praet as “ridiculous”.

Sevilla, according to reports in Spain, have tabled a bid of around €6m for the 21-year-old, who won Belgium’s Golden Shoe award earlier this year.

Vanden Stock says the youngster, who has been linked with Everton, is ready to try his luck elsewhere but says Sevilla will have to up their offer if they want to land the midfielder.

He told Het Nieuwsblad: “What Sevilla offer for the best Belgian player is ridiculous. We want a fair price. Dennis Praet wants to go. The best thing for Praet is to stay for one more year.”

Leicester are trying to get Chester now as well and have entered the race - according to SKY Transfer centre

And we are sat on our ****ing hands watching these ****melt clubs steal our transfer targets, whilst we are just messing about releasing statements that our piddly Europa game is sold out, yet there are still hospitality tickets available

FFS. What the **** is going on?

And we are sat on our ****ing hands watching these ****melt clubs steal our transfer targets, whilst we are just messing about releasing statements that our piddly Europa game is sold out, yet there are still hospitality tickets available

FFS. What the **** is going on?

Bore off

Obviously if it's Caulker I'll moan and ***** about it though.

Caulker makes sense as the 'Gardos replacement' as he's a bit of a unit & he's nowhere near the Lovren/Toby league.

I don't see Caulker moving to be 4th choice centre-back though.

Lighten up! Season starts in 2 days time and we know we aren't signing James Chester for £8m. Life is good.

Okay I will, I'm glad that after last summer you are now a much more positive poster. Just I thought St.Patrik only posted info and that response wasn't really necessary :yawn:

Chester is a typical West Brom signing, good luck to him but glad it's there and not with us. We'd be no worse off playing Yoshida. I look forward to seeing who we do bring in. Still think VVD will go to us or Everton, but I'm sure we have another target or two in case we miss out.

Obviously if it's Caulker I'll moan and ***** about it though.

Caulker is English so has its benefits...isn't that what people want on here?

Kelvin, Jos, Lovren, and Bertand all slaughtered before signed yet all did a job.

Stekelenburg also slaughtered by some....a pattern emerging??

I saw him play in GB team and he had several good games and was good at Swansea and Spurs for a while.

http://www.corrieredellosport.it/news/calcio/calcio-mercato/2015/07/28-2758387/mario_suarez_tifer_sempre_atletico_fiorentina_che_chance_/

That's one of my most favoured european experienced DM's gone then...Mario Suarez joining Fiorentina......I think he might have worked out well at Saints and am a bit surprised not many others felt the same way...ex Atletico Madrid DM's are usually very good....I wonder if we are still secretly still hoping for a change of heart from our Polish Seville target Grzegorz Krychowiak...surely the equal number 1 on our replace Toby list/ Morgan list with Jordy? I hope if we offer enough cash in wages and fee it can happen but you'd understand that he's a CL player and has outgrown Europa league having won the thing twice in a row...he must surely only go to a creme de la creme team...

Yeah agree with you Giordano on this one. Krychowiak would be awsome! Hopefully something is happening behind the scenes..

Whether you agree with Alpine or not, there is no need for some of the bullying abusive posts aimed towards him. He is as entitled to his opinion as we all are to our own. This is a discussion forum, and its a shame that discussions seem to very quickly go off topic and resort to personal attacks. For the record, I am too a little worried that we haven't yet signed a centre half and that its nearly a month since Toby joined Spurs.

Alledged photo of Caulker in Harley St, London = Caulker having a medical for Saints.

Source: Twitter*

*awaits MLG

As far as evidence goes its umm... not great...

@
troydbennett

Steven Caulker in Harley St. Medical? #saintsfc #qpr not good photo, but was him.

CLAmnOVWgAABKa9.jpg:large

Even if it is him in the photo, it certainly doesn't prove that he is only his way to Saints. Its just a photo of a man walking down a street.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Whether you agree with Alpine or not, there is no need for some of the bullying abusive posts aimed towards him. He is as entitled to his opinion as we all are to our own. This is a discussion forum, and its a shame that discussions seem to very quickly go off topic and resort to personal attacks. For the record, I am too a little worried that we haven't yet signed a centre half and that its nearly a month since Toby joined Spurs.

Darren I too find it bad that soon as Alpine puts his point of view out he is abused by all in sundry on this site. I enjoy reading other people hopes and fears for Southampton, but find it bad that fellow members have to resort to bullying tactics and then have the temerity of calling him a troll. I think we still need a couple of defenders but I trust RoKo to make the right decision.

Darren I too find it bad that soon as Alpine puts his point of view out he is abused by all in sundry on this site. I enjoy reading other people hopes and fears for Southampton, but find it bad that fellow members have to resort to bullying tactics and then have the temerity of calling him a troll. I think we still need a couple of defenders but I trust RoKo to make the right decision.

The problem people have with him is that he is so adamant that all is bad, nothing will go right, we're all going to die. His assumptions become fact in his mind, and as has been proven for the last 259259259259259 summers....his assumptions are always wrong. I get the point of accepting peoples point of view, but have you seen some of the abuse and names he puts out there if someone has their own view he doesn't agree with?

The bloke is very tiring, and comes into his own at this time of year it has to be said. Although I see him more of a comedy act these days.