Summer 2015 Hcdajfu thread ?

simo

You're right, I think he was brought in as a winger though however due to his unpredictability is better in a free role because even he doesn't know what he's going to do. I think it's going to be Mane's season this year and he is going to be one hell of a player in 2 or so years.

Fingers crossed we can build on last year get Europe again and establish ourselves as a bigger name throughout the world to attract the new level of quality we need to perform at this level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massive fan of mane and agree he'll be a 40 mil plus player/league contender within a couple of years if keeps going the way he is

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Having watched the Celtic game i am now slightly worried if we are in for VVD.....I AM HOPING it was a case of i'm not trying my hardest as i have a move to a Premiership club lined up. He passes well, glides forward great.....but his defending looked woeful....hoping it was a case of disinterested, a bit like Clyne second half of last season.

I have to agree. He was definately at fault for all the Ross County goals yesterday.

Edited by hutch

Saints target Koulibaly

Southampton are close to snapping up Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly.

Saints boss Ronald Koeman added to his defensive options this week by signing Steven Caulker on loan from QPR.

And now he has turned his attention to the Serie A side's France Under-20 star Koulibaly.

The Italians took Vlad Chiriches from Tottenham on a four-year deal last week and are now ready to cash in on the 24-year-old.

Southampton boasted one of the best defensive records in the top flight last season and Koeman wants to preserve it.

Kalidou Koulibaly - Napoli defender on our radar apparently

Never heard of him, but his name can easily slot in to the Agadoo song so as we have a potential song for him it would be a shame not to sign him. Van Dyke may be the better player but thats irrelevant.

Not sure why Napoli would want to sell, he was terrific last season. So quick, strong and powerful. He's a natural fit for the PL.

If it's between him and Van Dyk I wouldn't mind either.

Personal view but he's a LOT better than VVD based on what i've seen of both - he'll be in the French national side soon - be a brilliant signing if we could get him

Not sure why Napoli would want to sell, he was terrific last season. So quick, strong and powerful. He's a natural fit for the PL.

Quick Google search though:

http://www.vavel.com/en/international-football/italy-calcio/520489-chiriches-completes-napoli-move.html

noted:

Kalidou Koulibaly, who arrived in Naples 12 months ago, struggled for consistency and it is hoped that Chiriches can merge a formidable pairing with Raul Albiol at the heart of Sarri's defence.

But of course we have a proven track record of getting players performing to their potential (Lolvren for one.).

As I'd no idea of the blokes existance until a few minutes ago, I'll trust RK, Reed and the Black Box to perform their magic touch again.

I'd take Kalidou over Van Dijk all day long. The lad looks class!

Sounds a cracking player. Hope there's some truth in it. The spine of the defensive side of our team would look immense with him and Fonte at the back & Big Vic sat in front of them! Sounds like he's been watched for a while too if you believe this tweet from journalist Gary Niblock back on 7th Dec 2012...

Scouts from Reading, Southampton & QPR were at Genk - Basel last night keeping an eye on Koulibaly & Hyland. #qpr #saintsfc #readingfc

Never heard of him, but his name can easily slot in to the Agadoo song so as we have a potential song for him it would be a shame not to sign him. Van Dyke may be the better player but thats irrelevant.

His name is Virgil van Dijk, not Van Dyke... :toppa:

[video=youtube;k_mpaF5-SlU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_mpaF5-SlU

Edited by Matthew Le God

Sounds just like someone called Toby....

Toby who? Not that ***** that had his career resuscitated by our SFC, but then jerked off to Tottenham as soon as they lifted their skirt. There are so many good CB out there that you never heard of, probably never heard of Toby till we bought him. Move on...or a a saint, March on!!! We will have a new CB that will make you forget about the turncoats.

FWIW, here's my window must-haves;

To fill the Alderweireld-shaped hole... (one from)

Balls out: Aleksandar Dragovic, £11m, Nicolas N'Koulou, £9.1m (both left-sided CB's)

Cheaper alternative: Rami Gershon, £3m, (another left-sided CB, very rugged, unpolished though)

To fill the Morgan-shaped hole...(one from)

Balls out: Grzegorz Krychowiak, £20m, Maxine Gonalons, £14m

Cheaper alternative: Alex Song, £7m (though probably not with the wages involved), Mile Jedinak, £8m

A little something extra...

Also someone I think would suit our style of play is Ki at Swansea. Would be a great little squad player if we could get him. That said, so would have Jack Cork.

If you had £30m to strengthen the squad before the window closes, who would you (realistically) attempt to sign and in what positions do you think we're lacking in?

Edited by Crab Lungs

But we're fine to keep liking the players like Hammond, Chaplow, Guly etc who the club outgrew and replaced rather than the players who got better offers?

Yes obviously as a fan it's completely different wrong or right that's how it is. Toby is a C**t and Billy Sharp is a legend, it's the way it works in pretty much all clubs.

Toby who? Not that ***** that had his career resuscitated by our SFC, but then jerked off to Tottenham as soon as they lifted their skirt. There are so many good CB out there that you never heard of, probably never heard of Toby till we bought him. Move on...or a a saint, March on!!! We will have a new CB that will make you forget about the turncoats.

You've missed my point completely, I'm well over the whole Toby thing. My point is that we like versatile defenders who can play multiple positions. Koulibaly can cover exactly the same positions as Toby so may well be a viable direct replacement.

Guan 2.0...where are you?

Sounds like we're after at least one signing this week, possibly two, that says to me we're relatively close to signing someone...

Anyone know who? I'd fully expect a CB, a DM, and possibly another attacking player, but not a necessity.

If Gazza is not up to it, we could do with another keeper too! Still work to be done...!

Guan 2.0...where are you?

Sounds like we're after at least one signing this week, possibly two, that says to me we're relatively close to signing someone...

Anyone know who? I'd fully expect a CB, a DM, and possibly another attacking player, but not a necessity.

If Gazza is not up to it, we could do with another keeper too! Still work to be done...!

I would expect a centre-back, and if available, a right-midfielder. If we continue to play 4-4-1-1 this season to get the most out of Mane then we need a right midfielder as the only player we have who can play there (at a stretch) is Davis he isn't too comfortable there.

I would expect a centre-back' date=' and if available, a right-midfielder. [b'] If we continue to play 4-4-1-1[/b] this season to get the most out of Mane then we need a right midfielder as the only player we have who can play there (at a stretch) is Davis he isn't too comfortable there.

Eh? Since when have we been playing this formation? It has been 4-2-3-1 for ages - at least since under Poch. Can't remember if Adkins ever used this.

Eh? Since when have we been playing this formation? It has been 4-2-3-1 for ages - at least since under Poch. Can't remember if Adkins ever used this.

We played it Thursday night and have played it a few times last season (Chelsea away in particular) when we wanted Mane up front when we didn't play three at the back. I believe we'll be seeing it a lot more this season too if Mane keeps this form up.

We played it Thursday night and have played it a few times last season (Chelsea away in particular) when we wanted Mane up front when we didn't play three at the back. I believe we'll be seeing it a lot more this season too if Mane keeps this form up.

But it's not a '4', then another '4' is it?

I would expect a centre-back' date=' and if available, a right-midfielder. If we continue to play 4-4-1-1 this season to get the most out of Mane then we need a right midfielder as the only player we have who can play there (at a stretch) is Davis he isn't too comfortable there.[/quote']

There isn't much difference between 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-1-1, just how high up your wide players are.

Last Thursday in the 1st half S.Davis was on the left of midfield, Tadic on the right and were deeper than you'd see a wide player in a 4-2-3-1, so it could be described as a 4-4-1-1. We played more of a 4-2-3-1 in the second half after Juanmi and Long came on.

When we don't have the ball I think it is, when we have the ball it is more fluid but the principle behind the formation as I see it is to have Mane floating behind Pelle in a far more advanced role than any player may be in a 4-2-3-1. But Davis and Tadic were definitely wide midfielders in a flatter midfield four for a lot of the game. I see it as a 4-4-1-1 more than a 4-2-3-1, as we just wouldn't play Davis on the right like that.

temp.jpg

Average positions from that game (from WhoScored)

4-2-3-1

We do NOT play with two banks of four.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1771[/ATTACH]

Average positions from that game (from WhoScored)

4-2-3-1

We do NOT play with two banks of four.

That doesn't take into account the changes of system during a game. So you can't use that graphic to pin point down to one system. Koeman rarely uses one system for the entire game and switches back and forth.

Edited by Matthew Le God

And that makes him good enough for Saints?

He's proven he can perform at Premiership level. Scored 8 goals. Has good attributes and probably wouldn't cost the Earth. Seems worth a go to me to pad out the squad a bit more. Though I hear wages might be high (newspaper talk).