Chelsea after Morgan and Nathaniel

DT

Anyone know what kind of money MS is on atm??

Going by football manager ( ;) ) he is on around 35k p/w.

The new contract was meant to double his wages so he'd probably be on about 60k p/w.

Can imagine any new club signing him would look to pay him upwards of 80k, huge pay rise.

Has to be ********. Half that would be good value for Arsenal. Why on earth would Saints sell one of the best players in his position in Europe for 15m?

seems a bit mental. IF that is the case, the only thing it could be would be a deal for all when morgan effectively threw his toys out of the pram and refused to play (or what ever he did)

I can see they'd agree to let him leave, but not at a massively reduced fee. Papers always get it wrong, I've seen many articles that barely know anything about him just because he's a team player and at a 'small club'. Some Arsenal fans don't seem convinced. They'll just coincidentally see their team concede far fewer goals and win the league when he signs.

I imagine he'll go for £22-28m depending on bidding wars.

I suppose it's great business either way, signed for £1m and a key part of 2 promotions and Premier league success. Hope he gets a good reception final home game.

Personally I hope he signs for PSG (or anyone abroad) wouldn't enjoy seeing him play for someone else in the PL.

With this amount of clubs looking at him and him being as good as he is, we should be looking for around £30m, not £15m. Unless there was some kind of agreement put in place last year to get him to get his head down this year and stay with us.

We'll see.....would be hugely disappointing if he went for circa £15m and a ridiculously good deal for whoever gets him.

In that position, he's better than....

- Fabregas

- Fernandinho

- Fernando

- Yaya Toure

- Coquelin

- Arteta

- Ramsey

- Carrick

- Herrera

- Lucas

- Henderson

- Gerrard

- Allen

- Paulinho

- Stambouli

- Bentaleb

- Mason

For me the only one who is better than him in that position is probably Matic, and even he hasn't been particularly great for the last few months.

Completely agree, but a lot of fans, even pundits, seem to think all CMs are comparable and play the same role. Toure and Gerrard are poor DMs for instance, but people hear that and assume you're saying they're poor players of poor midfielders.

DM is one of the most disciplined roles and the one that goes least noticed, probably the biggest team role. We have 2 of the best.

Amazes me that Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd and Man City barely have a decent one between them. Coquelin is getting lauded after a brief spell of form more than Schneiderlin for years of quality and getting in the France team.

For me, him, Wanyama, Busquets, Mascherano, Matic, De Rossi, Schweinsteiger, Alonso.

Liverpool's best team and Gerrard's best form came playing in front of Alonso and Mascharno. No coincidence. Imagine Saints having a powerful goalscorer in front of Wanyama and Schneiderlin. We'd have been top 4.

Totally agree with all of that.

why is that?

The odds indicating an equal likelihood? Would Spurs pay, and more importantly would they outbid anybody if there were any competition for his signature, and there is likely to be. Secondly, why would he go there if his prime motivation were CL football? We could finish above them this season, which would make it even more unlikely.

The odds indicating an equal likelihood? Would Spurs pay, and more importantly would they outbid anybody if there were any competition for his signature, and there is likely to be. Secondly, why would he go there if his prime motivation were CL football? We could finish above them this season, which would make it even more unlikely.

The odds being equal doesn't mean the bookie thinks they are equally likely. They reflect the amount of money put on each outcome and are set to maximise the bookmakers winnings from each market by enticing more bets.

Do you genuinely believe Spurs have the same chance as Chelsea of signing him?

Spurs are more likely to want him. Chelsea is more likely to sign him if they both want him. Making their odds the same is perfectly reasonable given that the purpose of the odds is to encourage people to bet unsuccessfully.

Genuine question.....taking potential European football out of the equation, how much more than us are Spurs paying their top earners??

According to FM 2015 final database, Spurs top earners weekly salaries in thousands of pounds:

Soldado 105

Adebayor 100

Lloris 95

Lamela 80

Eriksen 65

Paulhino 65

Holtby 60

Lennon 55

Walker 55

Kane 50

Capoue 50

Dembele 50

Chadli 45

Fazio 45

Vorm 40

Townsend 38.5

I think I have gone down the list far enough.

I posted Southampton's weekly salaries according to FM 2015 final database on my blog and there is no point to retyping them here: http://redsloscf.blogspot.com/2015/02/southampton-weekly-salaries-update.html

Our top 5 earners make c combined 175 less a week and that includes Alderweireld's salary. It would be 198 if you only included the ones under contract to us.

Edited by Redslo

Spurs are more likely to want him. Chelsea is more likely to sign him if they both want him. Making their odds the same is perfectly reasonable given that the purpose of the odds is to encourage people to bet unsuccessfully.

According to FM 2015 final database, Spurs top earners weekly salaries in thousands of pounds:

Soldado 105

Adebayor 100

Lloris 95

Lamela 80

Eriksen 65

Paulhino 65

Holtby 60

Lennon 55

Walker 55

Kane 50

Capoue 50

Dembele 50

Chadli 45

Fazio 45

Vorm 40

Townsend 38.5

I think I have gone down the list far enough.

I posted Southampton's weekly salaries according to FM 2015 final database on my blog and there is no point to retyping them here: http://redsloscf.blogspot.com/2015/02/southampton-weekly-salaries-update.html

Our top 5 earners make c combined 175 less a week and that includes Alderweireld's salary. It would be 198 if you only included the ones under contract to us.

Some right rubbish in there earning ridiculous salaries. What a joke club. If Schneiderlin goes there, and I don't think he will, it would be for the same reason half of that lot went there.

Some right rubbish in there earning ridiculous salaries. What a joke club. If Schneiderlin goes there, and I don't think he will, it would be for the same reason half of that lot went there.

The reason being same as pretty much every player who moves upwards. you think there are more noble footballers who go for other reasons? Spurs pay good money and attract good players but not so good they are wanted by the bigger clubs. Every club has their position in the hierarchy.

The reason being same as pretty much every player who moves upwards. you think there are more noble footballers who go for other reasons? Spurs pay good money and attract good players but not so good they are wanted by the bigger clubs. Every club has their position in the hierarchy.

That's a very patronising post if I may say so.

Its makes me laugh when it says stuff like arsenal and chelsea have sent scouts to watch him! Surely they dont need to leave the settee to confirm he would improve both of there midfields!

Ah I don't know there, sometimes there are things you can only see at the game, stuff like movement off the ball, anticipation,comportment over 90 minutes etc. Scouts don't always watch the game, just the player that they're interested in and his interactions. Saw a report on Pogba the other day, apparently if you watch him for 90 minutes there are several sectors where he needs to improve but you don't always pick them up in a televised game.

Not sure what Morgan would do if no offers came in for him.

Surely that would make things very simple... if no offers come it he wouldn't have any option but to stay. I suppose it then become a question of if he wants a pay rise from us or not that would come with signing a new contract.

There was an interesting piece on talkSport today about club wages and current positions. We are the most over achieving having the 15th biggest wage bill (QPR the biggest under achievers with the 7th biggest bill). But, the main point was that the top 6 in the table, have by far the biggest wage bill. Man Utd something like £250m a year, down to Spuds in 6th with about £120m. Then QPR in 7th is something like £68m where the next 10 are about (IIRC £60-50m) and Leicester and Burnley at the bottom on £16m. I think our wage bill is £52m, half that of Spurs.

There was an interesting piece on talkSport today about club wages and current positions. We are the most over achieving having the 15th biggest wage bill (QPR the biggest under achievers with the 7th biggest bill). But, the main point was that the top 6 in the table, have by far the biggest wage bill. Man Utd something like £250m a year, down to Spuds in 6th with about £120m. Then QPR in 7th is something like £68m where the next 10 are about (IIRC £60-50m) and Leicester and Burnley at the bottom on £16m. I think our wage bill is £52m, half that of Spurs.

And therein lies the reason why we can never ever keep our better players. We don't pay enough for a top side. To really be a top side you need top players and to get top players you need top money not a pîssy 35K a week, especially when the PL gives

you roughly 80 million £ a season.

Edited by Window Cleaner

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2274957/Financial-Fair-Play-Premier-League-agree-financial-cap-clubs-face-points-deduction.html

This is an old article but I found it interesting that the signatories to the letter were all of the top 6 except Man City. Which means that they can't compete with Man City's buying power but want to make sure that no one else threatens their position.

We can increase our wage bill by £4m a season plus any increase from commercial income. So we are never likely to be able to match Spurs (or QPR for that matter?). Not unless we sign sponsorship deals that rival Man Utd's.

I would imagine spurs will come in with their normal derisory offer of about £10mil and Morgan would throw his toys out if we didn't let him go

Except that Spurs won't have Champions League football either so that wouldn't make any sense. Plus haven't we been reading the Chelsea and United are interested too?