Track Day

Saint Garrett

I am doing my first track day on Friday with RedLetterDays, get to drive a Ferrari 430, a Lamborghini Gallardo and an Ariel Atom.

Just wondering whether anyone else has done one before, and have any advice?

Obviously you don't get THAT long in each car so want to make sure that I'm ready to make the most of it.

Cheers

Based only on my similar "experience" at Thruxton a few years back, you'll have a demo run to start with: one instructor and three passengers. Needless to say, try to grab the front passenger seat :)

Listen to the instructor, don't crash, and watch for much faster cars coming up from behind ...you may well end your day with a quick demo lap from an instructor, which is great fun, but the instructors are really quick... by the time you've spotted them in your mirror, they're up your inside into the corner.

I am doing my first track day on Friday with RedLetterDays, get to drive a Ferrari 430, a Lamborghini Gallardo and an Ariel Atom.

Just wondering whether anyone else has done one before, and have any advice?

Obviously you don't get THAT long in each car so want to make sure that I'm ready to make the most of it.

Cheers

You doing it at Thruxton or Dunsfold?

I did it around 4 weeks ago, McLaren MP4 12C, Ferrari 458 and Nissan GTR Black.

Had a great time, although you don't get long and they can get annoyed at you if you don't brake when they want you to. Have you ever driven a quick RWD car before btw?

If you get a chance to go as a ride along in the Ariel Atom then do it, **** yourself quick, was shaking for a while after that.

Apart from that, get there early and you can get yourself booked onto the cars at better times, it is very busy.

Apart from that, just enjoy, and really put your foot down!

Try to relax and enjoy it from the very first corner.

If you worry too much about crashing the extremely expensive hunk of metal/carbon fibre that you're piloting then you'll find your laps have finished before you really get warmed up.

Drove a Porsche 911, Lambo Gallardo, Audi R8 and an Aston Vanquish.

Great day, really enjoyed it. No real advice to give really except that as much as they are just making more money out of you take up the excess waiver as its around 2k excess as standard.

Drive you're least favourite first as you'll get used to the track as you go. The RWD are difficult if you arent used to them, I thought I was going to kill myself in the porsche as the turbo kicked in as I hit the corner but the Lambo was a beast. It was going into it my least favourite but what a car, its like its glued to the track.

I drove a DB9 for around 30 mins. Big benefit was having had several hours of track tuition in my own car two weeks before, so I had a decent idea about braking points, lines etc. Initially my instructor wanted me to back off, as clearly he did not know me but after a few laps I was happily going past Lambos and other DB9s :)

Enjoy it, its over before you know it so settle in, take the advice and then push on after a few laps.

Try to relax and enjoy it from the very first corner.

If you worry too much about crashing the extremely expensive hunk of metal/carbon fibre that you're piloting then you'll find your laps have finished before you really get warmed up.

I'm sure your post is going to help him not worry about crashing the extremely expensive hunk of metal and carbon fibre. This will definitely not stick in his mind now.

Cheers all, I absolutely cannot wait. Have never done anything like this before, so a tad nervous too. My point is I think it'll be over so quick I won't make the most of it, but cheers for all your advice. Doing it at Dunsfold, will make sure I get there early.

I'm assuming you have to pay the additonal to get taken round by the instructor? Would be really keen to really appreciate how powerful these cars are, and no, I've not driven a RWD before, so it will be a hell of an experience. :scared:

Cheers all, I absolutely cannot wait. Have never done anything like this before, so a tad nervous too. My point is I think it'll be over so quick I won't make the most of it, but cheers for all your advice. Doing it at Dunsfold, will make sure I get there early.

I'm assuming you have to pay the additonal to get taken round by the instructor? Would be really keen to really appreciate how powerful these cars are, and no, I've not driven a RWD before, so it will be a hell of an experience. :scared:

Ha, ok, so if you've not driven a RWD car before DO NOT turn your wheel and floor it unless in the Gallardo (they're 4WD aren't they?). I did it an Dunsfold too.

Yes, you pay £30 I think it was for the Ariel Atom, but it's worth it, it's just mindblowingly quick.

Ha, ok, so if you've not driven a RWD car before DO NOT turn your wheel and floor it unless in the Gallardo (they're 4WD aren't they?). I did it an Dunsfold too. .

I have just upgraded my fast RWD car to an even faster RWD car (different version of same one) and 360ing it on the B3000 at 30 miles an hour. yes. this

Ha, ok, so if you've not driven a RWD car before DO NOT turn your wheel and floor it unless in the Gallardo (they're 4WD aren't they?). I did it an Dunsfold too.

Yes, you pay £30 I think it was for the Ariel Atom, but it's worth it, it's just mindblowingly quick.

Will keep that in mind - cheers!

Thin all Lambo's are 4WD. Sure they'll give me a few tips once I'm there too! I want to go and do it all day and just do loads of laps - no chance lol

I have one coming up. Need to choose 2 from...

Ferrari 360 or 355

Lamborghini Gallardo

Audi R8

Aston Martin V8 or DB9

Porsche 997

Nissan GTR

Sounds like the one I am doing tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes. I have done a little digging on the internet & YouTube and it all look a bit tame, no-one seems to go over about 70mph!

Still - should be good, think I might pay to get to go round with someone else.

I have one coming up. Need to choose 2 from...

- Ferrari 360 or 355

- Lamborghini Gallardo

- Audi R8

- Aston Martin V8 or DB9

- Porsche 997

- Nissan GTR

Gallardo, if for nothing more than the grunt from behind you're head. (And its a beast)

Wasnt a real fan of the R8 to be honest, the aston is ok but not very exciting

Sounds like the one I am doing tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes. I have done a little digging on the internet & YouTube and it all look a bit tame, no-one seems to go over about 70mph!

Still - should be good, think I might pay to get to go round with someone else.

I got up to 122 so don't believe that!

So first car I drove was the Lamborghini Gallardo. Was very good, pretty quick, was asked to slow a little before I knew the track! That was really nice though.

Second was the Ferrari 360, think it was quite an old model, had done a fair few miles, but really nice drive but nowhere near as quick.

Then came the Atom....that thing has some acceleration. The guy who I went with was a lot cooler than the others too, and was very keen for me to put my foot down and appreciate it.

I buckled and paid an additional £45 for a passenger ride in the Atom, but it was worth every penny, I genuinely thought my head was going to detach from my body the G force was so strong!

Cheers for all advice, all in all a brilliant day.