Clasie, Reed & Next Season CM

Saint Charlie

Everyone talks as if i.) We are are guarenteed to sign Clasie and ii.) He is an absolute star in the making.

If he is that good (there are obviously a lot on here that watch a lot of Dutch football) then surely a bigger team may come in for him so until its done then there is nothing set in stone?

Also, with many people saying Reed should play more (agree) and people also for some weird reason expecting JWP to transform into the new Scholes over the 3 weeks he will have off in the summer then we may have a slight physicality issue next season.

Wanyama aside we would have the following:

- Reed and Clasie who whilst aggressive are both tiny.

- JWP who is dismal at winning the ball and very lightweight.

- Davis who is a tiny bit more physical than JWP but also very small.

Is that actually workable? Despite the quality, a midfield comprised of those players would surely get bullied in the PL? Hopefully we still have Wanyama next season, but even if we do he won't play all the games.

As well as Clasie do we need someone with a bit more presence?

Edited by Saint Charlie

Yes, Vilhena.

There have been the big club links to Classie but I think (and stand to be corrected) but he's the one who's decided to stay in Holland to aid his development.

The Koeman link is obvious and I heard big rumours that we had him lined up if Morgan left last year. It does seem as if Koeman has "tapped" him up hence his reluctance to leave in summer/January.

Morgan + Davis out.

Classie + Vilhena in (failing that McCarthy at Everton)

Wrong

They've only started one league game together (wham). Reed did play the second half as sub with Wanyama against Arsenal. And they played one half in the cup where they didn't gel at all. Still very very little of a track record.

Edited by shurlock

I'm not that convinced about our Dutch or Dutch league signings to be honest.

To be sure, I believe Pelle has been unlucky, and maybe his form earlier on tricked us with regards to his true abilities and potential, but I do think he is a decent striker for what we fight for.

But I think Tadic has been that kind of signing that started strongly because he was relatively unknown and could surprise PL defenders fairly simply, but after a while he's become very ineffective. Djuricic and Elia haven't shown anything that indicates that they should be signed permanently.

Of course Clasie seems like a good prospect, and so does that Vilhena fella. But we forget how attacking-minded the Eredivisie is. There is always a lot of space for forwards to run at, and the defending is rather shocking (same goes for most of the goalkeeping).

The PL is much more physical, and spaces are much harder to find. And I think that's the one aspect Koeman must change in his tactics. Earlier in the year we were committing many more players forward, it was working because although we weren't given that much space, we had options so we could pass it around and swing teams to find a break. Now we attack with much less players, and that has affected our effectiveness upfront. The wingers are expected to beat many more players, Pelle is expected to receive the ball much further back while having to rush to finishing positions, and we look like a team split in two.

Vilhena can't even get in the Feyenoord side ahead of Karim El Ahmadi who was dire at Aston Villa...

Just been to Rotterdam to watch Classie and Vilhena. Kindly they brought Vilhena on at half time for us to watch! Mind you we chose the worst Feyenoord performance of the season. Classie played just in front of the two centre backs, one of whom, Van Beek played well. Not Classie's best game but you can see how is passing would keep us moving, he is not as good defensively as Morgan, but then we will struggle to but anyone as good as Morgan is now. I would be happy to see Classie here. Vilhena looked lively when he came on, he tried to make things happen all the time and was happy to take defensive responsibility. Probably end up being the sort of player our idiot fans take a dislike to, but can see why we would be interested in him.

Went to Eindhoven last night, Depay scored a cracking free kick. A tremendous atmosphere in town before the game and big party afterwards as PSV won the title last night. PSV played very fluid football in a very similar style to us.

Watched the Stoke game on tele in a bar before the PSV game, glad we came here for our football this weekend rather than the trip to windy Stoke.

• 2 months later...

Any further thoughts on this? Interesting some of the other CMs we have been in for like Imbula and Krychowiak are noted for their physical attributes more than technique, yet Clasie is the opposite.

I do wonder if, although he is a good player, he is the right fit to replace Morgan?

I guess it is ok when Wanyama plays, but if he doesnt, it is an issue?

Edited by Saint Charlie

Any further thoughts on this? Interesting some of the other CMs we have been in for like Imbula and Krychowiak are noted for their physical attributes more than technique, yet Clasie is the opposite.

I do wonder if, although he is a good player, he is the right fit to replace Morgan?

I guess it is ok when Wanyama plays, but if he doesnt, it is an issue?

So Ms is a big physical presence? Personally I don't see him muscling people of the ball it's got far more to do with technique and timing.

So Ms is a big physical presence? Personally I don't see him muscling people of the ball it's got far more to do with technique and timing.

Technique and timing of tackles and interceptions, yes. He puts in lots of tackles, gets in players faces, wins 50/50s and covers lots of ground.

Edited by Saint Charlie

I know Leroy Fer didn't show much of his potential in the PL up to now but when it has to be a Dutchman (I know, I know, let's not go Dutch all the way... :lol:) with a lot more more body then Clasie then he might be the right guy. He is strong, fast, has a fairly good technical skill and is a good header. A box-to-box player for a reasonable price I believe. With Clasie and Fer you'll have the Orange midfield of the future..

Edited by van Hanegem