"Oh when the Spurs go marching in" - "Oh when the Saints go marching in"

Matthew Le God

We normally retort to them with "We are Southampton, we sing our own songs". I'm suggesting we sing Liverpool's, Stoke's, West Ham's, Man City's song to show how absurd it is they sing the traditional song of another club and many of them think it is their own.

Edited by Matthew Le God

We normally retort to them with "We are Southampton, we sing our own songs". I'm suggesting we sing Liverpool's, Stoke's, West Ham's, Man City's song to show how absurd it is they sing the traditional song of another club and many of them think it is their own.

Yeah, sounds brilliant!!

:uhoh:

Sorry but posting a picture of Jacko and Bubbles, I am not sure the mental image that would go along with forever blowing Bubbles could get me enthused with that one.

The fact we sing that back to them is highly ironic, however I suggest that 99% of the people involved don't understand why.

That'll get to them! Imagine how angry they'd be if they did oh when the spurs go marching in and we came back with you'll never walk alone, slipped effortlessly into I'm forever blowing bubbles rounding with a rousing corus of Blue Moon. They'd be a rollercoaster of angry, confused, outraged and belittled. This is one of the greatest ideas I've ever heard.

That'll get to them! Imagine how angry they'd be if they did oh when the spurs go marching in and we came back with you'll never walk alone, slipped effortlessly into I'm forever blowing bubbles rounding with a rousing corus of Blue Moon. They'd be a rollercoaster of angry, confused, outraged and belittled. This is one of the greatest ideas I've ever heard.

I'm thinking more of the impact worldwide when the YouTube of it goes viral. Them Turin Ultras and those fans with the arrows pointing to the goal will be sick when they see how creative we can be.

When Spurs fans sing a hybrid version of our traditional song it grates with me. There are Spurs fans who think we are singing their song and aren't aware of the proper lyrics.

CDN3BGUW0AAewBo.png:large

The first-ever recording of this tune was by Louis Armstrong in 1938 with lyrics by Luther G. Presley (no relation to Elvis) and Virgil Oliver Stamps) although the tune was first published in the USA in 1903, but predates even that... as it was often a hymn sung in Baptist and Pentecostal churches in the 19th century.

There is no record of when Spurs fans tried to "steal it ", but they also made a poor job of hi-jacking " Glory , Glory hallelujah " which is the chorus to The Battle Hymn of the Republic which was used by the Confederate Army during the American Civil War 1861-1865, and has been associated with them since then.

Edited by david in sweden

Here is an extract from a Spurs fan blog:-

In the latest version of the short-form series we get a taste of something a bit different as one of the most iconic songs in English football, When the Spurs go marching in, is belted out by Tottenham supporters from their homes, pubs and seats at White Hart Lane. Versions of the song are sung by fans of various Premier League clubs, including Southampton (“When the Saints Go Marching In”) and Liverpool (“When the Reds Go Marching In”).

Apparently what we sing is a "version" of the song. This moron obviously believes that the original song is the one that they sing and that we have somehow adapted the wording, as Liverpool have, simply substituting Saints or Reds for Spurs.

what is the problem. We sing songs that traditionally belong to other clubs

Adapting other teams songs for players to ones for current Saints players is very different to the using another club's main song. Like the Kelvin & Steven Davis/Toure brothers song.

Do you not think it would be odd for Saints to start singing "I'm forever blowing bubbles" or "You'll never walk alone" at every single game?

Adapting other teams songs for players to ones for current Saints players is very different to the using another club's main song. Like the Kelvin & Steven Davis/Toure brothers song.

Do you not think it would be odd for Saints to start singing "I'm forever blowing bubbles" or "You'll never walk alone" at every single game?

those two. but there are songs sung (not about players) that traditionally belong to other clubs. why is this not an issue but spurs doing so is?

Here is an extract from a Spurs fan blog:-

Apparently what we sing is a "version" of the song. This moron obviously believes that the original song is the one that they sing and that we have somehow adapted the wording, as Liverpool have, simply substituting Saints or Reds for Spurs.

The song isn't about football tho, it's about mass genocide & apocalypse. The Saints in the song are the few True Believers who get to go marching into Heaven during the Raptures, when Baby Jesus is going to come down from the sky and tear billions of i.e. muslims and i.e. atheists limb-from limb, and burn their bodies, and piss on their charred corpses. The earth will then be just a wasteland + everyone will be Dead. It is quite an unpleasant song, if you think about it. Mass genocide is not something to celebrate IMO especially when it is not conducted on basis of religious equality. OWTS can fuck off IMO. Spurs is welcome to it. :thumbdown:

What an awful idea.

Normally they start singing their version and it just gets completely drowned out by the proper version....home or away. Just make sure thats still the case if we're losing, as our fans are known to go missing when we're not playing well, especially this season.

The song isn't about football tho, it's about mass genocide & apocalypse. The Saints in the song are the few True Believers who get to go marching into Heaven during the Raptures, when Baby Jesus is going to come down from the sky and tear billions of i.e. muslims and i.e. atheists limb-from limb, and burn their bodies, and piss on their charred corpses. The earth will then be just a wasteland + everyone will be Dead. It is quite an unpleasant song, if you think about it. Mass genocide is not something to celebrate IMO especially when it is not conducted on basis of religious equality. OWTS can fuck off IMO. Spurs is welcome to it. :thumbdown:

I'm forever blowing bubbles was originally about sucking off a chimp.

Blue Moon was originally about an icy, barenaked arse.

Doesn't stop them having been 'claimed' and co-opted by Hammers and City.

Absolutely hateful stuff which MLG not only is proud to be associated with but also wants to claim a monopoly over.

:thumbdown:

Edited by shurlock