Victor Wanyama tells The Sun that Arsenal want to sign him

Saint-Armstrong

VICTOR WANYAMA has revealed to SunSport that he is on Arsene Wenger’s shopping list.

The Kenyan ace, 23, will cost Arsenal around £20million after a stunning season at Southampton.

Wanyama said: “Wenger has been talking about me. And he has let it be known he would like to sign me this summer.

“Arsenal are a great club and I’d love to play Champions League football as I loved being on that stage with Celtic.

“But we’ve had a fantastic season at Saints and I want to stay focused on helping the club qualify for Europe.

“Then we’ll see where I end up in the summer.”

Wenger missed the chance to sign midfielder Wanyama two years ago after the Saints paid Celtic £12m for him.

The Gunners chief has also been heavily linked with Wanyama’s team-mate Morgan Schneiderlin.

But his interest has waned since the emergence of Francis Coquelin.

Tottenham — managed by Wanyama’s former boss Mauricio Pochettino — are also interested in the Kenyan.

But Champions League football should bag the deal for Arsenal.

Asked if he would like to work with Pochettino again, Wanyama said: “If I get the chance, maybe. You never know what will happen in the future.

“It’s nice to be linked with other clubs as it means I’m playing well.”

VICTOR WANYAMA has revealed to SunSport that he is on Arsene Wenger’s shopping list.

The Kenyan ace, 23, will cost Arsenal around £20million after a stunning season at Southampton.

Wanyama said: “Wenger has been talking about me. And he has let it be known he would like to sign me this summer.

“Arsenal are a great club and I’d love to play Champions League football as I loved being on that stage with Celtic.

“But we’ve had a fantastic season at Saints and I want to stay focused on helping the club qualify for Europe.

Wenger missed the chance to sign midfielder Wanyama two years ago after the Saints paid Celtic £12m for him.

The Gunners chief has also been heavily linked with Wanyama’s team-mate Morgan Schneiderlin.

Tottenham — managed by Wanyama’s former boss Mauricio Pochettino — are also interested in the Kenyan.

Asked if he would like to work with Pochettino again, Wanyama said: “If I get the chance, maybe. You never know what will happen in the future.

well :uhoh: that looks to be a bit more than just " paper talk " - doesn't it ?

.......if it wasn't true, then Wanyama could make a fortune in any libel case against them.

So, looks like there's a few direct quotes that the lazy scumbag journalist has completely made up.

Like earlier in the season, I imagine it is yet another case of one of the big clubs paying journalists to write made up stories to destabilise us, like all that nonsense about out head of youth development going to Tottenham. Who is paying the Sun this time though? I reckon Man United.

I think if you take all these kind of articles as they are presented by the rags and change your thoughts on the players because of them, you're gonna have a stressful summer!

Accept there is no loyalty in football on either side and that ambitious players will want to play at the highest level. Cheer them whilst they wear the stripes, for next season they may not.

Beginning to not give a **** anymore about those wanting out.

The most important person at the club is still here next season and he will rebuild us again with even better players.

Goodbye Wanyama, Clyne and Spider and please take any other greedy bastard with you to warm the benches elsewhere.

If we actually had dreams and ambition, he wouldn't want to leave.

Having a top manager in Koeman is not ambitious?

We only failed to reach the champions league because Pelle, Tadic, Clyne dropped off after Xmas. If we had decent back ups then I have no doubt we would be 3rd or 4th right now.

If a journalist offers a player a fee for an interview you can hardly blame a player who might be struggling along on a measly £45,000 a week, to agree to talk to the journalist for a few quid and say 'yes' to a few leading questions. You only have to see the players turning up for training in their Renault Meganes and Nisan Primeras to realise how badly they need the money.

Wouldn't worry about it, Arsenal are always "interested" in everybody, they actually sign about 0.1% of them.

Just from what I've seen this week that makes Naingolan,Gundogan,Victor, both Benders and Howedes.

Oh and add Kondogbia as well......it's just the way Arsenal do things, shake the bag and see what drops out.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I saw this story come up on my Weibo feed today (the Chinese Twitter). It translated his comments as "Wenger told me ..."

It's one of those things. We have good players. They develop with us and some move on. It has always happened and always will and you can't blame players for wanting a higher level to play at or more money. As fans we probably need to just indulge in less player worship and the only focus is on the team unless they are clearly committed to us. When they move on, wish them all the best and be emotionally detached from their move and be happy they've been part of our rise. If the club is genuinely bigger than the player, it should never matter if players move on.

It's one of those things. We have good players. They develop with us and some move on. It has always happened and always will and you can't blame players for wanting a higher level to play at or more money. As fans we probably need to just indulge in less player worship and the only focus is on the team unless they are clearly committed to us. When they move on, wish them all the best and be emotionally detached from their move and be happy they've been part of our rise. If the club is genuinely bigger than the player, it should never matter if players move on.

The problem isn't them wanting to leave its that they repeatedly tell the press about it in the middle of a season. It benefits no one other then the papers and is disrespectful to their current employer.

We won't miss any of them anyway as long as we get a good fee, Lallana was our most important player, winning every award going last season and we're now better without him

Not a huge suprise. He has been one of the ones who has bleated on about CL football more than most so now we have no chance he is looking for an exit plan.

As I wrote on the Wanyama Future thread, he has done two years here, played very well. Won't sign a new contract with us so value is highest this summer.

Don't want to lose him and Morgan but players have the power.

We lost 5 first teamers last summer and if you include Toby it won't be far short of that number again IMO.

But we will have a plan I am sure. Hopefully a few others aside from Dutch League players though.

Be interesting to know if the players do get a bollocking for this type of stuff. Especially before big matches.

Edited by Saint Charlie

The problem isn't them wanting to leave its that they repeatedly tell the press about it in the middle of a season. It benefits no one other then the papers and is disrespectful to their current employer.

We won't miss any of them anyway as long as we get a good fee, Lallana was our most important player, winning every award going last season and we're now better without him

That's spot on. No-one thinks players will never leave, but tis not too much to ask they show respect to their current employers.

Not a huge suprise. He has been one of the ones who has bleated on about CL football more than most so now we have no chance he is looking for an exit plan.

As I wrote on the Wanyama Future thread, he has done two years here, played very well. Won't sign a new contract with us so value is highest this summer.

Don't want to lose him and Morgan but players have the power.

We lost 5 first teamers last summer and if you include Toby it won't be far short of that number again IMO.

But we will have a plan I am sure. Hopefully a few others aside from Dutch League players though.

Be interesting to know if the players do get a bollocking for this type of stuff. Especially before big matches.

Wasn't Wanyama left out against Wham (a),because he reportedly threw a wobbly in the run-up to transfer deadline day?

One of those things.

If the club want to be ambitious then they need to sign ambitious players.

Some of those players’ reputations will rise quicker than the clubs, I see no harm in them wanting to be the best they can be as a professional with a short career & looking for a move.

As long as we replace them with other ambitious players and the clubs trajectory continues on an upward trend then eventually we will be able to match the ambition of those players.

Until then, we just need to accept that it’s part of the journey.

Tbh we got quite lucky last summer with people we brought in but, be madness to think we can do the same thing every summer when we lose players. We are punching above our weight and unless we get further investment will probably be a mid table team which is okay it's the size of club. Problem is last summer, we kept our key defensive players, ie Clyne, fonte, Toby added, Bertrand was good, Morgan and Vic superb. Ahead of that apart from start of season we are a mid table team at best probably. Defence as good as anyone infront of that mid table at best. The problem this time though is it's key defensive players ie Toby, Clyne and Morgan and victor who look likely to go.

This sums it up. Posters on here can bleat on as much as they like about the ambition of players and that is how players behave these days, but if they don't have the courtesy to behave with respect to their employers, then there is no hiding it. I do wonder whether some of our more disappointing results might be because certain players aren't 100% committed to the club what with their coveting of being part of another squad. Certainly Clyne, Morgan and Vic have all come out in the press saying that they want to be elsewhere. If you say that then how can you be 100% committed to Saints? JRod's another one - was offered a contract extension months ago wasn't he?

I would prefer to now drop those players who don't want to be with us for the rest of the season and replace with players who actually do want to be with us, even if it means cutting our nose off to spite our face. But then I guess it's not my money. Looking back on last season's departures, at least most waited until the end of the season (or am I mistaken with that?).

This sums it up. Posters on here can bleat on as much as they like about the ambition of players and that is how players behave these days, but if they don't have the courtesy to behave with respect to their employers, then there is no hiding it. I do wonder whether some of our more disappointing results might be because certain players aren't 100% committed to the club what with their coveting of being part of another squad. Certainly Clyne, Morgan and Vic have all come out in the press saying that they want to be elsewhere. If you say that then how can you be 100% committed to Saints? JRod's another one - was offered a contract extension months ago wasn't he?

I would prefer to now drop those players who don't want to be with us for the rest of the season and replace with players who actually do want to be with us, even if it means cutting our nose off to spite our face. But then I guess it's not my money. Looking back on last season's departures, at least most waited until the end of the season (or am I mistaken with that?).

And just to be contrarian, would you also sell Tadic, Mane, and Pelle who all showed somewhat disrespectful behaviour (in line with the above) at their previous clubs in order to Saints? Tadic refusing to sign a new deal, Mane refusing to travel for a game, Pelle telling Feyenoord he wants to leave them for Saints. And what about Tonny Vilhena, who has allegedly already been at St Marys for one reason or another and has just handed in a transfer request? Will you welcome him to Saints?

I'm not saying that the behaviour is particularly nice, but we benefit as much as we have it at the receiving end.

And just to be contrarian, would you also sell Tadic, Mane, and Pelle who all showed somewhat disrespectful behaviour (in line with the above) at their previous clubs in order to Saints? Tadic refusing to sign a new deal, Mane refusing to travel for a game, Pelle telling Feyenoord he wants to leave them for Saints. And what about Tonny Vilhena, who has allegedly already been at St Marys for one reason or another and has just handed in a transfer request? Will you welcome him to Saints?

I'm not saying that the behaviour is particularly nice, but we benefit as much as we have it at the receiving end.

Have any of those players come out and said they're looking forward to playing for Saints whilst employed by their previous clubs?

Have any of those players come out and said they're looking forward to playing for Saints whilst employed by their previous clubs?

No. Are you saying that the behaviour of those players prior to joining Saints is fine then? Unless we want to come up with some sort of official SaintsWeb acceptable player behaviour charter when they are positioning themselves for a move.

Stupid from Vic, really poor from him - shouldn't be saying these kind of things in public, who the feck is advising him?!

Still can't believe we let Cork go for a derisory £3m, when we could find ourself without Wanyama and Morgan next year. Thats the main reason we've done so well this season, because of those two, would be a big worry if we lose 4 or 5 of our back 7. If we struggle to score goals like we have done this season, and start leaking them in next year, then we might find ourself in a sticky situation, where those 1-0's start turning into 2-1 defeats.

Stupid from Vic, really poor from him - shouldn't be saying these kind of things in public, who the feck is advising him?!

Still can't believe we let Cork go for a derisory £3m, when we could find ourself without Wanyama and Morgan next year. Thats the main reason we've done so well this season, because of those two, would be a big worry if we lose 4 or 5 of our back 7. If we struggle to score goals like we have done this season, and start leaking them in next year, then we might find ourself in a sticky situation, where those 1-0's start turning into 2-1 defeats.

This.

What a c*nt. Every single one of these rats that want to jump ship again are welcome to.

Reall? Not quite as simple. Keeping Morgan this season helped. Lose Vic and Morgan we could be struggling big time next season.