Victor Wanyama tells The Sun that Arsenal want to sign him

Saint-Armstrong

And just to be contrarian, would you also sell Tadic, Mane, and Pelle who all showed somewhat disrespectful behaviour (in line with the above) at their previous clubs in order to Saints? Tadic refusing to sign a new deal, Mane refusing to travel for a game, Pelle telling Feyenoord he wants to leave them for Saints. And what about Tonny Vilhena, who has allegedly already been at St Marys for one reason or another and has just handed in a transfer request? Will you welcome him to Saints?

I'm not saying that the behaviour is particularly nice, but we benefit as much as we have it at the receiving end.

Slightly different in that they don't seemingly want to leave us, but with reference to their previous clubs, I am not sure the ins and outs of what they were doing/saying during the middle of last season. They weren't linked with us until Koeman was appointed during the break, so their heads weren't with us while they were playing last season. They may have been elsewhere, away from their clubs, but I am very doubtful they were with us. Mané not travelling - was it a refusal as there seems to be more than one side to this? But no, if it was a refusal, then I certainly wouldn't condone it, much in the same way I hold views of Kenwyne Jones's behaviour.

Vilhelna's behaviour is not much different to those wanting to leave, if true, as he should be more respectful to his employers. I am not going to be so blinkered to think that because they are linked with COMING IN to us that it is more acceptable, because it isn't. It's all part of football's demise where people don't know how to behave. But I guess, at least Vilhena has handed in a transfer request, something that hasn't happened for a while at Saints. Or so it seems - who was the last person to hand in a transfer request?

Slightly different in that they don't seemingly want to leave us, but with reference to their previous clubs, I am not sure the ins and outs of what they were doing/saying during the middle of last season. They weren't linked with us until Koeman was appointed during the break, so their heads weren't with us while they were playing last season. They may have been elsewhere, away from their clubs, but I am very doubtful they were with us. Mané not travelling - was it a refusal as there seems to be more than one side to this? But no, if it was a refusal, then I certainly wouldn't condone it, much in the same way I hold views of Kenwyne Jones's behaviour.

Vilhelna's behaviour is not much different to those wanting to leave, if true, as he should be more respectful to his employers. I am not going to be so blinkered to think that because they are linked with COMING IN to us that it is more acceptable, because it isn't. It's all part of football's demise where people don't know how to behave. But I guess, at least Vilhena has handed in a transfer request, something that hasn't happened for a while at Saints. Or so it seems - who was the last person to hand in a transfer request?

Lallana and Lovren went on strike does that count?! Nope, they handed in a transfer request without officially doing it, so they got their cut and still got their way, budgies.

i find this amazing really, surely Vic is more professional than to give a recorded interview to a trainee journalist?

As i say, i just find that amazing - having done the exact same course as this guy in the past, it really isnt as easy as that just to set up an interview with a premier league footballer, although i appreciate that he is doing it for M&Y which adds a level of credibility.

The evidence is right there that he did the interview of course, in which case it really a poor piece of judgement from Vic.

Look at the majority of the players who left last summer - the only one who retains a level of respect is Lambert, who conducted himself professionally throughout.

I get that ambitious players like Vic, Clyne and Morgan want to further their career, who wouldn't? But if you're good enough, you won't need to be gobbing off to the press all over the place to get a move.

Do your business in private and show some class.

Wanyama says: "Wenger has been talking about me."

To whom has Wenger been speaking?

I've not seen any quotes in the media from Wenger regarding Wanyama.

Who else might Wenger have been speaking to?

Wanyama's agent? Wanyama himself?

Surely, either would constitute an illegal approach.

Has Wenger been playing a game of Chinese Whispers, whereby he tells a member of his backroom staff, who tells a player, who tells another player, and so on.

"Wenger has been talking about me," could cover a multitude of scenarios.

Obviously from the Daniel Levy Spread and Smear bureau. Happens every time we play them. Another most likely source would be Saint Charlie's muck stirring emails to the pundits

Edited by ART

This tapping up of players is getting ridiculous, and yes, Saints are equally complicit in it. OK, so it's indirect, but let's not be naive about it and call it anything other than what it is, regardless whether it is player, agent or club that is doing it. It would be nice if the PL/FA actually did something about it, but I guess they won't or can't as newspapers/blogs can write any old unsubstantiated ballcocks (which they do anyway - frequently) and agents , well, they're just looking for the next pay day.

So, looks like there's a few direct quotes that the lazy scumbag journalist has completely made up.

Like earlier in the season, I imagine it is yet another case of one of the big clubs paying journalists to write made up stories to destabilise us, like all that nonsense about out head of youth development going to Tottenham. Who is paying the Sun this time though? I reckon Man United.

Given wanyamas tweet, i guess it comes down to who you trust more then.

The journalist confirmed he had tape of interview.

And yet says he "can't" release it - why not? If he was allowed to use the quotes he's allowed to release the tape. He's full of it.

Vic is gobbing off about leaving. Like Vilhenna

Except he isn't.

Tbh we got quite lucky last summer with people we brought in but, be madness to think we can do the same thing every summer when we lose players. We are punching above our weight and unless we get further investment will probably be a mid table team which is okay it's the size of club. Problem is last summer, we kept our key defensive players, ie Clyne, fonte, Toby added, Bertrand was good, Morgan and Vic superb. Ahead of that apart from start of season we are a mid table team at best probably. Defence as good as anyone infront of that mid table at best. The problem this time though is it's key defensive players ie Toby, Clyne and Morgan and victor who look likely to go.

We lost Lovren and Shaw, and also shipped out the keeper, that's hardly "keeping our key defensive players". I agree with you about the concern that we won't always be as successful in replacing those who leave, however, so there's a first time for everything. ;)

We lost Lovren and Shaw, and also shipped out the keeper, that's hardly "keeping our key defensive players". I agree with you about the concern that we won't always be as successful in replacing those who leave, however, so there's a first time for everything. ;)

I think Clyne and fonte were just as important and I class Morgan and Vic as defensive players too.

Firstly, concerning the journo saying he has a tape of the interview - wow! What journo doesn't record their interviews? Means nothing. Unless we hear the tape (which we won't) we don't know what the actual questions were or the context in which they were put. I've been interviewed by my local paper 3 times (as a neighbourhood group spokesperson) and every single time they've misquoted me or my comments are taken out of context and made to fit the journalists angle. Same thing has happened here IMO.

For all we know the questions were;

1.) Vic, Would you like to play CL football?

Vics answer; "I’d love to play Champions League football as I loved being on that stage with Celtic."

2.) Arsenal are reportedly interested in you, what are your thoughts on that?

Vics answer "Arsenal are a great club."

In journo-land these two lines are sewn together and become "Arsenal are a great club and I’d love to play Champions League football as I loved being on that stage with Celtic."

3.) Arsene Wenger speaks highly of you, and has let it be known he'd like to sign you, have you heard anything about that?

Vics response "I've heard it mentioned."

This becomes; “Wenger has been talking about me. And he has let it be known he would like to sign me this summer."

Do we really think that these are direct quotes? Would Vic really use the words "And he has let it be known he would like to sign me"? C'mon, that reeks of journo speak.

Regardless, it would be most appreciated if for the last few weeks of the season, Vic, Morgan and Clyne could keep their mouths shut. Please.

If it was a real quote and he said "We'll see where I end up this summer" then he see's himself elsewhere other than Saints and he's a massive d1ck for saying it before our most important remaining game left this season, if he never said anything of the sort then he best get suing the Sun as they've directly quoted him.

Les Reed isn't aware of interest in any of our players and Koeman said we had heard nothing regarding Clyne.

Fully expect Morgan to be the only one to go.

Wanyama is happy here, has seen how his former team mates have earned double or treble what he does but are unhappy at Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal and will stay if we get the holy grail of Europa League assuming the result of the FA Cup Final goes our way.

Get used to a summer of Journalists trying to destabilise us....and fail.

Going from the last 5 years we are due to finish 2nd or 3rd next year.

#wemarchon

???

Libellous claim.

There's a problem with that in conjunction to you. The definition is

Libel is a method of defamation expressed by print, writing, pictures, signs, effigies, or any communication embodied in physical form that is injurious to a person's reputation, exposes a person to public hatred, contempt or ridicule, or injures a person in his/her business or profession.

Wonder whether you can spot the problem!?

We surely won't let both of them go?

Agree with Sour Mash. Wanyama's gone right down in my estimation now.

Well let's see.

Approximately:

£20m Wanyama

£20m Spiderman

£20m Clyne

We should have some change after Big Ron has decimated the Dutch clubs

If it was a real quote and he said "We'll see where I end up this summer" then he see's himself elsewhere other than Saints and he's a massive d1ck for saying it before our most important remaining game left this season, if he never said anything of the sort then he best get suing the Sun as they've directly quoted him.

I'm sure the quote is correct, but again, we don't know what the journo said. The question might have been "there is interest from other clubs for your services, were do you see yourself next season? "

Vic's answer could have been something like "It's great to be linked with other clubs as it means I'm playing well. As a professional footballer you never know what might happen from one season to the next, so we'll see were I end up this Summer."

Thing is, as supporters we are desperate for our players to say "I'm 100% committed to Southampton." Unfortunately, these days that's a rarity

There's a problem with that in conjunction to you. The definition is

Wonder whether you can spot the problem!?

Presumably that I already get ridiculed...like for the Wanyama Future thread last week...

Vic probably has eyes on a move to a champions league club and £80k-100k a week

They all do, those that are good enough get there, those that aren't don't.

It's just possible that some of our better players are disappointed by the end of our season, we were top 4 hopefuls, now we're clinging on to a hope of 6th place or that Villa won't win the cup (which they will, just like I said they might 2 months ago, respectable side, criminally mismanaged). I mean who knows what players think, some of us believe that failure to sign an alternative striker in January was a grave error, maybe some players think that too.

Vic probably has eyes on a move to a champions league club and £80k-100k a week

I wouldn't want any footballer of ours not to have their eye's on the CL and 100k a week, it makes them hungry to perform for us and if they can't do it with us then by all means lets extract the cash from the suitors and rebuild.

If we can't get into the CL or Europe then is there much difference with having a team that bounces around the top half of the league every season but churning out world class talent which we make bank on?

I wouldn't want any footballer of ours not to have their eye's on the CL and 100k a week, it makes them hungry to perform for us and if they can't do it with us then by all means lets extract the cash from the suitors and rebuild.

If we can't get into the CL or Europe then is there much difference with having a team that bounces around the top half of the league every season but churning out world class talent which we make bank on?

You are absolutely right. Would rather we have all this grief with our £10-12m signings a few years into their contract than be where we are with Ramirez and Osvaldo. The challenge for our club is to inch closer each season to being better and maybe, one day, in a position to keep our rising stars. Difficult I know, but that is the challenge.

As with Schneiderlin, someone needs to have a word with the players about gobbing off in public, show a bit of respect to those currently paying their wages.

Exactly. Someone 'have a word with him'. And, if really the case, someone needs to have a word with Wenger if he is "talking about me". Surely that can't be accepted. (Admittedly RK did that with Vlaar).

You are absolutely right. Would rather we have all this grief with our £10-12m signings a few years into their contract than be where we are with Ramirez and Osvaldo. The challenge for our club is to inch closer each season to being better and maybe' date=' one day, in a position to keep our rising stars. Difficult I know, but that is the challenge.[/quote']

Agree, I think the term is marginal gains before we get to that utopia.

20mil is a lot of money for clubs outside of the premier league, we could replace him with a ball playing CB from holland like a Joel Veltman (Ajax - Toby showed how well they can play) who is excelling this season in the Champions/Europe cups or if we wanted to spend the money elsewhere we could look to convert Florin as he likes to bring the ball out, tackle etc and could be converted into a defensive midfielder, or we could just buy a DM from somewhere else.

One thing for sure is that HCDTJFU thread is gonna start ramping up soon

We've heard all that before.

Flog whoever wants to go, buy better players with the cash - onwards and upwards.

Only Bertrand is a better player than those we sold last season, well Toby as well be he's only a loanee and doesn't look like staying. Forster is a good player as well but probably only on a par with Boruc. Lallana,Lambert have been replaced with inferior players and Chambers hasn't really been replaced at all.

Edited by Window Cleaner