School admissions...

Unbelievable Jeff

So I am trying to find out how to prove where you live for admissions into infant/junior school. Does anybody know what schools ask for as proof?

Blood sample of you, your wife and all your grandparents.

Your DNA.

A urine sample.

20 years of council tax bills.

Your V5 document.

Hope that helps?

There are a number of possibilities. Bank statement, utility bill, Council Tax bill. My daughter and her family moved back from Bristol last year and stayed with us for 3 months. I had to provide a letter stating that she lived at our address.

Why don't you ask the schools? They're very helpful.

Perfectly understandable.

Not saying that UJ is defo doing that, but I'd suspect it'd be less understandable from the perspective of the parents of whoever is displaced. Doesn't matter that much. You've either got talent or you haven't. Unless the school is a complete dysfunctional shíthole, that'll come through at some stage.

Not saying that UJ is defo doing that, but I'd suspect it'd be less understandable from the perspective of the parents of whoever is displaced. Doesn't matter that much. You've either got talent or you haven't. Unless the school is a complete dysfunctional shíthole, that'll come through at some stage.

We have 3 schools in our local area, one is utter sh!te and the other two are Catholic. We have the option of either sending my little one to the sh!t school (which may have changed by the time she goes there, granted), getting her confirmed to a religion we are not, send her to a better local-ish one (outside catchment still but by half a mile), or go private. We're just trying to evaluate our options as much as anything.

We have 3 schools in our local area, one is utter sh!te and the other two are Catholic. We have the option of either sending my little one to the sh!t school (which may have changed by the time she goes there, granted), getting her confirmed to a religion we are not, send her to a better local-ish one (outside catchment still but by half a mile), or go private. We're just trying to evaluate our options as much as anything.

Depends if you have another kid, but private (if the results are good) would be next to the top of the list otherwise move house if there is a state school with consistent high achievement - it will be over subscribed so you'll need to get in the catchment area unless there are other criteria which your child meets. A better investment all round.

I would have thought there was more to it than your kid just being confirmed to gain entry to the Catholic school.

Just because a school is grade by Ofsted it doesn't always tell the full story. Both my kids went to an outstanding infant school and both were IMO let down in their education (for different reasons one wasn't pushed at all the other was pushed to much). Both moved onto a junior school that required improvement (or as it used to be called satisfactory) and both excelled grew in confidence and did well and actually enjoyed school. There is more to schools and teaching than SATs results.

Just because a school is grade by Ofsted it doesn't always tell the full story. Both my kids went to an outstanding infant school and both were IMO let down in their education (for different reasons one wasn't pushed at all the other was pushed to much). Both moved onto a junior school that required improvement (or as it used to be called satisfactory) and both excelled grew in confidence and did well and actually enjoyed school. There is more to schools and teaching than SATs results.

Very true. Thornden has always had a good rating but a lot of the parents employ private tutors,

Schools can get better or worse quickly, often due to a change of head.

People often blabber on about certain schools being bad but there really aren't many that are completely terrible.

I quite like the fact I live in a village where everyone just goes to the same school. Makes things very easy.

Depends if you have another kid, but private (if the results are good) would be next to the top of the list otherwise move house if there is a state school with consistent high achievement - it will be over subscribed so you'll need to get in the catchment area unless there are other criteria which your child meets. A better investment all round.

I would have thought there was more to it than your kid just being confirmed to gain entry to the Catholic school.

I own a flat in the other area so if it's based on paying council tax I can sort it that way...

Pretty sure that the OP knows about search engines (he's probably heard of Google). One can only assume he wants to oh-so-subtly let everyone know he has the means to consider private education.

Quick tip: when your kid gets there, try not to impress people in a crass manner. There will be people with far more money than you and they will be from proper stock and not at all amused by neuveau types.

Pretty sure that the OP knows about search engines (he's probably heard of Google). One can only assume he wants to oh-so-subtly let everyone know he has the means to consider private education.

Quick tip: when your kid gets there, try not to impress people in a crass manner. There will be people with far more money than you and they will be from proper stock and not at all amused by neuveau types.

I have tried thanks, the point is they all say they're not sure, some are based on council tax, some others. I was wondering due to the large amount of people on here who work in different industries (ie LEA's), and have kids and may have done similar, may be able to help better rather than me going through Mumsnet and looking at 5 year old threads, dickhead.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

Each school should be able to let you know what their admissions criteria are and in what order.

I think you'll find with faith based schools that a letter from that faith's priest (or whatever) is needed to prove REGULAR attendance as a starter. (That's what happened when my daughter was looking to have her daughter admitted to the town's CofE primary). Another high priority would be looked-after children and children with special needs. Then would come siblings attending and THEN would come catchment.

But maybe schools are different in different areas.

My other daughter has just moved house but her son is unable to move into the nearest school mid-term as there are no places so he has to trek to the other side of town to his current school. He's unlikely to be able to move to this nearest school in September either.

Each school should be able to let you know what their admissions criteria are and in what order.

I think you'll find with faith based schools that a letter from that faith's priest (or whatever) is needed to prove REGULAR attendance as a starter. (That's what happened when my daughter was looking to have her daughter admitted to the town's CofE primary). Another high priority would be looked-after children and children with special needs. Then would come siblings attending and THEN would come catchment.

My other daughter has just moved house but her son is unable to move into the nearest school mid-term as there are no places so he has to trek to the other side of town to his current school. He's unlikely to be able to move to this nearest school in September either.

I'd rather not a faith school in all honesty - I'm not religious so seems hypocritical. It's more around what they check for if you're outside a catchment but could lie to say you live in an area to get her in...

This is becoming more of a problem with the large increase in population. There are nowhere near enough places in the infant and junior schools to cater for the surge in new arrivals. Tis buge will then, of course, move through to secondary education.

This is becoming more of a problem with the large increase in population. There are nowhere near enough places in the infant and junior schools to cater for the surge in new arrivals. Tis buge will then, of course, move through to secondary education.

The problem here is the comparatively large number of new housing estates. Once upon a time, the developers would have to pay a Section 106 to help pay for infrastructure such as roads AND schools. That doesn't seem to happen so much nowadays. My grandson's infant school had to build extra classrooms to cope with the change from a one form to two form intake because of a huge (and pricey) development nearby.

The local authority here seems to be reactive, only providing extra spaces after the event.

At secondary level there are children being sent out of county, but the secondary problem is exacerbated by this council's dedication to selective education. Almost all of Buckinghamshire's senior pupils have to get on a bus to go miles away from their homes. Bloody crazy!

I'd rather not a faith school in all honesty - I'm not religious so seems hypocritical. It's more around what they check for if you're outside a catchment but could lie to say you live in an area to get her in...

I know this isnt much help now - but many people choose houses dependent on the quality of the schools. It was part of the reason for me moving out of Brighton & Hove into leafy mid Sussex. The premium for a house in a good school catchment area (which you get back when you sell) is nothing compared to the cost of private education.

I know this isnt much help now - but many people choose houses dependent on the quality of the schools. It was part of the reason for me moving out of Brighton & Hove into leafy mid Sussex. The premium for a house in a good school catchment area (which you get back when you sell) is nothing compared to the cost of private education.

Of course, and I understand that, and it was a decision that at the time wasn't relevant. But at the time we couldn't really afford what we wanted in a good area (Weybridge) so had to compromise on something, and we weren't planning kids 'as soon' as it happened.

Some of the best Infant and Primary schools in Southampton are in what some may consider some of the less desirable areas. Would people move to Sholing for the sole reason that their kids could go to the Infant school? I guess not.

Maybe it was just us but we decided where to live based on a number of factors, none of which included schools.

Some of the best Infant and Primary schools in Southampton are in what some may consider some of the less desirable areas. Would people move to Sholing for the sole reason that their kids could go to the Infant school? I guess not.

Maybe it was just us but we decided where to live based on a number of factors, none of which included schools.

We moved based solely on the schools. Where we used to live there were middle class "professional bubbles" around the better schools driving the prices through the roof.

We moved back to the north side of Stafford giving us the choice of good primary and good secondary schools. No regrets in doing it at all.

Seeing as the flat is in her name not sure she'll need any kind of education? #silverspoon

To be fair, you've quite obviously got no education and you've obviously got enough to fund Steve's annual curry so perhaps you're correct.

I'm actually surprised you're on this thread as you follow Lou around like her lapdog and she hasn't commented on this one yet...

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

To be fair, you've quite obviously got no education and you've obviously got enough to fund Steve's annual curry so perhaps you're correct.

I'm actually surprised you're on this thread as you follow Lou around like her lapdog and she hasn't commented on this one yet...

22 minutes to come up with that cutting come back? Poor show.

Is your daughter called Davina Cameron by the way?

22 minutes to come up with that cutting come back? Poor show.

Is your daughter called Davina Cameron by the way?

Is that YOUR attempt at a comeback?

Look, we know you're trying to reinvent yourself, showing off in front of the new girl on the forum, but you need some better material than that. Why don't you go back to not being noticed, it's far better than this forced persona you're putting on to impress a girl.

Look, we know you're trying to reinvent yourself, showing off in front of the new girl on the forum, but you need some better material than that. Why don't you go back to not being noticed, it's far better than this forced persona you're putting on to impress a girl.

Lol, does your wife know you've been meeting women in pubs that you met on the internet?!

Boys, be gents and keep me out of your spat...!

Lol, does your wife know you've been meeting women in pubs that you met on the internet?!

I met a group of Saints fans, and yes, it's completely incidental that Lou is female?? Are you not allowed to speak to other women then? From what I've seen on here I would say you're wise to self-impose that rule!

I met a group of Saints fans, and yes, it's completely incidental that Lou is female?? Are you not allowed to speak to other women then? From what I've seen on here I would say you're wise to self-impose that rule!

I'll take that as a "no." Why haven't you told her?

I'll take that as a "no." Why haven't you told her?

Apart from the fact it says 'Yes' in the first sentence? I'll add reading to your long list of deficiencies.

Just out of interest, are you going to enrich this thread with anything, or did you just come on and comment because I started the thread? Do you have children?

Primary schools are heading for a very hard time in the not too distant future. There are far too many children about to start then there are places, and recruiting teachers is becoming more and more difficult. 8 teachers in my school are leaving and the talk around other schools is that this isn't unique. We need more schools and a massive recruitment drive because people sure as hell aren't going to stop having sex.

Primary schools are heading for a very hard time in the not too distant future. There are far too many children about to start then there are places, and recruiting teachers is becoming more and more difficult. 8 teachers in my school are leaving and the talk around other schools is that this isn't unique. We need more schools and a massive recruitment drive because people sure as hell aren't going to stop having sex.

Or coming into the country.