3 Years Ago

Lighthouse

Was reminded of this game last night while watching Bournemouth. It had a very similar feel to it, it was all a bit nervy and Bombey even looked a bit dodgy till they scored but as soon as they did score, it was never in any doubt. They just controlled it from then on. The same thing happened to us three years ago today, Coventry looked up for it, forced a good save from Kelvin but once Billy Sharp flicked in that first goal, all the nerves just drained out of St Mary's and it was a party.

Having got into football in the very latter stages of the 2005 season, that United game was my first 90 minutes that I sat and watched so my only real memories of us in the PL had been dropping out of it so I always dreamt about seeing us back there. One of the best days of my life. I remember thinking all through those 7 eyars just how much I wanted to see us in the PL even if we finished 17th every year and now I'm worried that we might not make the top 6! Just goes to show how far we've come.

Might be nice to just remember those that helped us on the way but we sadly just outgrew. We often talk of Lallana, Markus, Cortese, Reid, Fonte, Lambert and Adkins etc but there are a lot of people that played their part who don't get mentioned that often like Hammond, Chaplow, Fox, Sharp, Richardson, Barnard, Perry, Wotton, Trotman, Cork, Harding, Forte, Bailkowski, Butterfield, Seabourne, Martin, N'Guissan, Waigo, Anthonio, Thomas, Jeidi, Pardew, Wilkins, Downes, Crosby and our old friend Guly! None of them will probably ever be called Saints "legends" but they did their job and they were a piece in the jigsaw puzzle. They'll always have a place in Saints folk law. I'm probably missing some out, feel free to add your own.

Even though I moan and winge about Saints, I do ****ing love this club!

Great day, great season. It was a real feel good day as we were live on the BBC, they had a football focus on before our game focusing on it, and our club was portrayed in such a massive bright light that day - loved it. Very similar to the Bournemouth game last night.

But I would say, my favorite celebrations were down at Plymouth. We were effectively promoted when we won 3-1 down there, and the feeling from that day will live with me for a long time. I think it's because it was the first time for me to experience a promotion, I remember watching all the other clubs enjoying that whilst we were spiraling down the Championship and I'm glad I got the opportunity - twice!

Not going to lie the lower leagues where some of my favourite times supporting saints and i've done it for a long, long time. That day capped two brilliant years, and seeing Sir Rickie still fills me with pride. No matter that he left he'll always be a Saints legend for me, though i think the day i knew it was real was away to Milwall and Rickie's last minute penalty.

Also got to have a mention for Fonte, been here since league and grown with the club, would love to see him win player of the season this season and get us into Europe on the same day.