Leicester vs SAINTS Build Up Thread

nta786

I've expected more from Gardos to be honest, and I think the club probably feel the same. I think he was brought in to be a regular player for us (especially for a £6m outlay), but Yoshida has pipped him to the 3rd choice. He's still young...but he just looks clumsy, error prone and rash at this moment.

I think that's a bit unfair - he has had very few opportunities due to the great form of Toby, Fonte and Yoshida this year. If we were able to sign Toby permanently (possibly a big if!), I would see no reason to change our line up of centre backs in the squad for next season.

I think that's a bit unfair - he has had very few opportunities due to the great form of Toby, Fonte and Yoshida this year. If we were able to sign Toby permanently (possibly a big if!), I would see no reason to change our line up of centre backs in the squad for next season.

You're right, he's not had lots of opportunities - but in the small handful of chances he's had, I don't think he's put his marker down. Yoshida, when he had his chance, did put his marker down and stepped up. A couple of games Gardos played in stand out for showing his rashness/clumsiness, Sheff U away in the cup, Stoke away in the cup, Newcastle away in the league (their first goal). I don't think he's fully trusted 'yet'. I hope he does cement a place here though.

You're right, he's not had lots of opportunities - but in the small handful of chances he's had, I don't think he's put his marker down. Yoshida, when he had his chance, did put his marker down and stepped up. A couple of games Gardos played in stand out for showing his rashness/clumsiness, Sheff U away in the cup, Stoke away in the cup, Newcastle away in the league (their first goal). I don't think he's fully trusted 'yet'. I hope he does cement a place here though.

It appears he is fourth choice which I am fine with. He's definitely had his shaky moments but he has also played some good games for us - Manchester United away, Palace away, Chelsea home, Arsenal home, and even Newcastle away I don't think he was at fault for the goal at all and played decent.

My main concern is that he cost around £6m and he is our fourth choice, and we have Stephens and Turnbull coming through. Right now if we could get our money back on him I wouldn't be against that. If we don't sign Toby then he'll have a bigger role to play next season I suppose but right now I am not convinced overall. Not if our stated ambitions are realistic.

I had pretty much switched off after Saturday but I have just re-energised myself by buying a ticket, amazing how having a ticket in your hand turns you from half-empty to half-full in the time it takes you to say t-h-i-r-t-y-f-i-v-e-p-o-u-n-d-s.

I'm not on the beach yet and I don't expect the players to be either. Entertaining draw for me, 2-2 or 3-3; I can't see a clean sheet all the time we refuse to play our best back 4, but I think we can score plenty* against a desperate team with an anxious home crowd on their backs.

COYRs!

* That'll be the Spurs Pelle and not the Sunderland Pelle then.

I've actually been impressed with Gardos, what you see as clumsiness I see as an extra physical dimension to our back four. He is not silky by any means though.

Would be nice to see us turn up and compete, but Leicester will want this far more than us, which is disappointing. It's been a pretty lame end to a good season. A season that could have been great is turning out to be only marginally better than last season. And we were awful at Sunderland again. Happy with being back in the Prem though and ditching the struggling Southampton tag as well. Been a hell of a ride.

Would be nice to see us turn up and compete, but Leicester will want this far more than us, which is disappointing. It's been a pretty lame end to a good season. A season that could have been great is turning out to be only marginally better than last season. And we were awful at Sunderland again. Happy with being back in the Prem though and ditching the struggling Southampton tag as well. Been a hell of a ride.

I think we'll compete, it's harsh to throw that stick at us. We've competed in every game we've played, even though Sunderland was a total **** up, we did totally dominate with 10 men. But as per usual, lacked any real threat.

But you need to ask yourself this for one minute - if in the summer, someone told you that saints would finish on more points, with a better GD and a higher league placing than last season, would you have sent them to the mad-farm? I think a few would have.

If you remember back to the summer, Koeman said a few times at how he wanted to 'maintain' the level and 'improve' if possible. That's pretty much what's happened, in a summer of utter chaos we managed to maintain our level the next season. As well as good management, that's pretty impressive recruitment as well. Not bad. Makes you hopeful for the following seasons and the next sage of the plan, as I think our ambitions will be much higher now.

I think we'll compete, it's harsh to throw that stick at us. We've competed in every game we've played, even though Sunderland was a total **** up, we did totally dominate with 10 men. But as per usual, lacked any real threat.

But you need to ask yourself this for one minute - if in the summer, someone told you that saints would finish on more points, with a better GD and a higher league placing than last season, would you have sent them to the mad-farm? I think a few would have.

If you remember back to the summer, Koeman said a few times at how he wanted to 'maintain' the level and 'improve' if possible. That's pretty much what's happened, in a summer of utter chaos we managed to maintain our level the next season. As well as good management, that's pretty impressive recruitment as well. Not bad. Makes you hopeful for the following seasons and the next sage of the plan, as I think our ambitions will be much higher now.

I agree about what would we think last summer, but you have to go from where you are. This season is fading out for more than last..last year, that was a big stick to hit MP with. We have ungraded (apparently) in all positions where we sold and improved the squad..

you can say it how it is as the season unfolds.

this year has also seen one of the worst premier league seasons in many years (in terms of quality)...I doubt we will see that next year.......

lol, absolutely no chance that J Rod is fit enough to start or even be included in the squad.

He's been out for over a year, and been in training 2 weeks max. Let him recover at his own pace, If he's available for the first game of the season next year then I'll be happy enough.

Gardos has been a strange one. He's looked decent against the big teams (chelsea home, man utd away for example) but struggled in "lesser" games particularly against Sheffield Utd and Ipswich home. He may find that consistency and turn out to be a shrewd signing.

I agree about what would we think last summer, but you have to go from where you are. This season is fading out for more than last..last year, that was a big stick to hit MP with. We have ungraded (apparently) in all positions where we sold and improved the squad..

you can say it how it is as the season unfolds.

this year has also seen one of the worst premier league seasons in many years (in terms of quality)...I doubt we will see that next year.......

What a load of boring, incoherent, rambling s***e.

What a load of boring, incoherent, rambling s***e.

you do not agree then? lol fair enough

but people did moan about how MP had our season fade out last summer

this season's prem (no matter how good we have been, which we have) has been very poor

and most thought we replaced like for like with better players AND improved the squad.

Edited by Batman

this season's prem (no matter how good we have been, which we have) has been very poor

and most thought we replaced like for like with better players AND improved the squad.

All the leavers have had a rubbish season, I still think we have replaced well.

------------davis--------------

Clyne - Toby - fonte - Bertrand

----Wanyama - Reed-----------

-Davis-------Mane--------long

------------Pelle---------------

Yoshi has been steady IMO but I think we need to go with our strongest back four line up available, and that includes Toby. I think Reed and Wanyama have enough about them to deal with the leicster midfield whose main threat will be from their wingbacks and so I have put Davis and Long in the wide positions as I feel they are better equiped to track back.

I can see a 2-0 saints win here, we have been wobbling but all in all playing pretty well just lacking any real cut and thrust in the final 3rd. Id ideally like to field Tadic but he isnt available.

Get Hesketh on the bench too

------------davis--------------

Clyne - Toby - fonte - Bertrand

----Wanyama - Reed-----------

-Davis-------Mane--------long

------------Pelle---------------

Yoshi has been steady IMO but I think we need to go with our strongest back four line up available, and that includes Toby. I think Reed and Wanyama have enough about them to deal with the leicster midfield whose main threat will be from their wingbacks and so I have put Davis and Long in the wide positions as I feel they are better equiped to track back.

I can see a 2-0 saints win here, we have been wobbling but all in all playing pretty well just lacking any real cut and thrust in the final 3rd. Id ideally like to field Tadic but he isnt available.

Get Hesketh on the bench too

i'd go and agree with that

I think we have improved CB and upfront but not really 'improved' on lallana, Im not entirely sure we are quite as good as we were under MP either but the results speak for themselves and have had a great season. Is it fading out ? Sort of, but a lot of that is because in reality we have not got a lot to play for really. But those we are coming up against very much have.

As for being a poor Prem, it has a little but the top four is still intact. And its only use and perhaps swansea that have replaced Everton in the top 6 runners list. Liverpool or spurs wont get infinately better next year, they have too much to do. Both need a CM, a CB and a ST to get them to that next level. Utd are likely to continue to improve and no doubt city will get better. Like Adrian said there are some poor teams coming up and will be remaining also. So I dont see next year being much different

Unless, as it has been suggested, Toby is playing MF because of his injury. Don't forget he still actually has a fractured shoulder. Playing DM as opposed to CB is probably considered to be less "stressful" fro the point of view of his damaging his shoulder. Whereas we have an adequate backup for him at CB, we do not currently have anyone better than him to play alongside Vic as DM. Must admit have not been impressed with Toby as DM thus far.

Unless, as it has been suggested, Toby is playing MF because of his injury. Don't forget he still actually has a fractured shoulder. Playing DM as opposed to CB is probably considered to be less "stressful" fro the point of view of his damaging his shoulder. Whereas we have an adequate backup for him at CB, we do not currently have anyone better than him to play alongside Vic as DM. Must admit have not been impressed with Toby as DM thus far.

I think he is better there than Reed because he is more expansive. Though Reed is very very good defensively I think a midfield of Reed and Wanyama is almost over defensive, if that makes sense. That said you are right, looking now I think we should have held onto cork until the end of the year.

As for his injury, maybe, though Id argue playing DM can be as stressful on an injury as playing CB, I expect if you look at the stats the top DMs have more tackles per game than CBs.

I think he is better there than Reed because he is more expansive. Though Reed is very very good defensively I think a midfield of Reed and Wanyama is almost over defensive, if that makes sense. That said you are right, looking now I think we should have held onto cork until the end of the year.

As for his injury, maybe, though Id argue playing DM can be as stressful on an injury as playing CB, I expect if you look at the stats the top DMs have more tackles per game than CBs.

'Interesting' angle but not sure I entirely buy it, I'm not sure a player would be considered 'fit' in one position and not in another (and I'm pretty sure Athletico wouldn't be over-joyed if they knew!). As for your DM v CB thing I'm pretty sure CB would be more stressful than DM on a potential dislocated/damaged shoulder - most risk would surely come from pushing/pulling/holding at free kicks and corners, landing awkwardly from ariel duals, falling over the oppo and crash-landing during a heading duel, ditto having the opponent land on top of you after a heading duel, getting cleaned out by your own keeper etc ... all more likely occurrences at CB than DM in my risk assessment. Equally don't buy the hamstrings thing either, if we wanted to nurse his hamstrings we could arguably do that easier at CB than DM too.

It looks blatantly obvious from a number of selections/permutations that RK thinks that: Fonte+Yoshida and VW+Toby > Fonte+Toby and VW(or MS)+Reed , 'most' on here would disagree especially if you put KD in to the mix too ... but are ours is not to do, ours is to get behind the team as selected!

I like Hesketh and he was trusted before injury earlier in the season. Looked excellent in the u21 cup games. Far rather him than Djuricic. Seen zero from him, and he's not ours, we're surely very unlikely to sign him. With youth players, it's all good experience for them anyway, surely we should be given them these chances rather than letting more expensive loan players who do fck all take them?

agree with that, been a believer in this for a couple of weeks. Not as if Djuricic or Elia have shown anything what so ever

'Interesting' angle but not sure I entirely buy it, I'm not sure a player would be considered 'fit' in one position and not in another (and I'm pretty sure Athletico wouldn't be over-joyed if they knew!). As for your DM v CB thing I'm pretty sure CB would be more stressful than DM on a potential dislocated/damaged shoulder - most risk would surely come from pushing/pulling/holding at free kicks and corners, landing awkwardly from ariel duals, falling over the oppo and crash-landing during a heading duel, ditto having the opponent land on top of you after a heading duel, getting cleaned out by your own keeper etc ... all more likely occurrences at CB than DM in my risk assessment. Equally don't buy the hamstrings thing either, if we wanted to nurse his hamstrings we could arguably do that easier at CB than DM too.

It looks blatantly obvious from a number of selections/permutations that RK thinks that: Fonte+Yoshida and VW+Toby > Fonte+Toby and VW(or MS)+Reed , 'most' on here would disagree especially if you put KD in to the mix too ... but are ours is not to do, ours is to get behind the team as selected!

I dont agree with the injury arguement either btw, I just think RK sees toby as a better midfield option than Reed when accompanying Wanyama. I think Reed is ok with Morgan, as Morgan can play further forward. Something that both Reed and Wanyama struggle with IMO.

As per the DM vs CB arguement, its a strange one and probably depends on the opposition but Id say a good DM playing against a good midfield would be as stressed (as far as duels are concerned (in air and on floor)) as a CB with probably more sprinting required.

I like Hesketh and he was trusted before injury earlier in the season. Looked excellent in the u21 cup games. Far rather him than Djuricic. Seen zero from him, and he's not ours, we're surely very unlikely to sign him. With youth players, it's all good experience for them anyway, surely we should be given them these chances rather than letting more expensive loan players who do fck all take them?

Agreed. Djuricic has shown me nothing to believe he is worthwhile signing. Elia has looked ok in fits and starts but nothing long term. Hesketh has ability, stick him on the bench ahead of Djuricic.

I'd rather we picked the best squad available to us, and as Djuricic is currently a better player than Hesketh, Koeman will pick him.

I'd rather we picked the best squad available to us, and as Djuricic is currently a better player than Hesketh, Koeman will pick him.

Is he genuinely though ? As Im not convinced. Ok I dont watch training etc but from what Ive seen on the pitch Hesketh looks promising and Djuricic shows very little

-------------Davis

Clyne---Toby--Fonte---Bertrand

------Big Vic----Reed

Long-------Mane-----------Elia

------------Pelle

Bench: Yoshida,S Davis and some youngters like Seager, Hesketh or Gallagher

Is he genuinely though ? As Im not convinced. Ok I dont watch training etc but from what Ive seen on the pitch Hesketh looks promising and Djuricic shows very little
What have you seen of Hesketh? I think 15mins of top flight football? Koeman seems to have the same opinion. He's got plenty of potential, but not ready to make a difference yet.

What have you seen of Hesketh? I think 15mins of top flight football? Koeman seems to have the same opinion. He's got plenty of potential, but not ready to make a difference yet.

Well yeah, top flight you are right, nothing really. Thought he was impressive in the cup final. I obviously concede the overall quality of that game is not the same as a prem game in reality but I saw enough to want to see more.

I think I lot of it is that I didnt understand the Djuricic signing... And still dont. I think Hesketh offers just as much

Of course this could be Sir Ronnie's cunning plan, play Toby out of position to make him look ordinary, cooling the interests of the likes of Citeh etc., thereby increasing our chances of signing him permanently in the summer. The man's a genius.

Well yeah, top flight you are right, nothing really. Thought he was impressive in the cup final. I obviously concede the overall quality of that game is not the same as a prem game in reality but I saw enough to want to see more.

I think I lot of it is that I didnt understand the Djuricic signing... And still dont. I think Hesketh offers just as much

He looked decent in the final, but playing against a very young and not overly impressive Blackburn youth/reserve side is no real guide to performing in the Premier League.

Djuricic was brought in as a fairly cheap, low-risk option to add a bit of much needed creativity to the side, made sense to me.

I think the only issue with Hesketh is that he clearly doesn't have the frame for top flight football yet (not intended as a insult). He's still very slight, therefore prone to injury/damage. Best to protect him for the time being, I'd have thought, given that he isn't necessarily an upgrade on Djuricic.

I think the only issue with Hesketh is that he clearly doesn't have the frame for top flight football yet (not intended as a insult). He's still very slight, therefore prone to injury/damage. Best to protect him for the time being, I'd have thought, given that he isn't necessarily an upgrade on Djuricic.

And yet we're running after the midget ultralightweight Clasie.

He looked decent in the final, but playing against a very young and not overly impressive Blackburn youth/reserve side is no real guide to performing in the Premier League.

Djuricic was brought in as a fairly cheap, low-risk option to add a bit of much needed creativity to the side, made sense to me.

Cheap yes, but ultimately not needed. Perhaps there is some creativity there but he wasnt A. A striker or B. Have out and out pace, which is what I thought we needed in January. That said its another body I suppose, and Im not massively against the lad. Just dont think he has shown much more than Hesketh could offer

Cheap yes, but ultimately not needed. Perhaps there is some creativity there but he wasnt A. A striker or B. Have out and out pace, which is what I thought we needed in January. That said its another body I suppose, and Im not massively against the lad. Just dont think he has shown much more than Hesketh could offer
We'll have to disagree on that, I thought we needed creativity more than a striker in Jan and think it's still our biggest gap. Mane/Elia and even Long provide pace.

I honestly have no idea how we're going to win this other than trying Reed as DM alongside Wanyama and putting Alderweireld back into the back 4 alongside Fonte.

I've got to the point now where I don't want to see Yoshida wear a Saints shirt again, he's just not good enough.

-------------Davis

Clyne---Toby--Fonte---Bertrand

------Big Vic----Reed

Long-------Mane-----------Elia

------------Pelle

Bench: Yoshida,S Davis...

Can't really argue with that, I don't think Davis would be the worst choice either but he's not ahead of Elia or Long out wide.

I have low expectations. Put Alderweireld back in defence bring in Reed and we might have a chance - I would not play Djuricic or Elia or have them on the bench - they are not good enough - and I am doubtful about Long after his performance against Sunderland. Put Seager and Gallagher on the bench.

Definitely need creativity over pace - plenty of quick players (including the full backs) but no-one close to the "goal outta nowhere" players some of the top 4 (and even Liverpool and Spurs) have.

Definitely need creativity over pace - plenty of quick players (including the full backs) but no-one close to the "goal outta nowhere" players some of the top 4 (and even Liverpool and Spurs) have.

Yeah, and Djuricic hasnt added that either

Shelvey or Sigurdson would be ideal, preferably shelvey

I honestly have no idea how we're going to win this other than trying Reed as DM alongside Wanyama and putting Alderweireld back into the back 4 alongside Fonte.

I've got to the point now where I don't want to see Yoshida wear a Saints shirt again, he's just not good enough.

I'm coming round to this line of thinking too. Yoshida was absolute trash against Sunderland. If we have to keep Alderweireld in midfield, I'd like to see Gardos given another go instead.

...an anxious home crowd on their backs...

Ah...http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicester-City-winger-Marc-Albrighton-says/story-26442347-detail/story.html

On recent away performances this will be another tough one...to put it mildly. Roll on the summer.

We have to put Toby back in defence and play our strongest back 4. I personally don't have an issue with playing Reed in midfield. He's done a decent job when he has played and will Wanyama alongside him.

Ah...http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicester-City-winger-Marc-Albrighton-says/story-26442347-detail/story.html

On recent away performances this will be another tough one...to put it mildly. Roll on the summer.

I wouldn't have expected him or the local paper to say anything else; having a PL football club in your city or region is 'massive' and they have certainly shown good fightability to retain this status over the last 6 games or so (and we haven't particularly, esp away from home).

Doesn't mean that if it's 0-0 at HT or other results start to go against them then their crowd won't get anxious, all crowds do.

I have low expectations. Put Alderweireld back in defence bring in Reed and we might have a chance - I would not play Djuricic or Elia or have them on the bench - they are not good enough - and I am doubtful about Long after his performance against Sunderland. Put Seager and Gallagher on the bench.

Bit harsh saying he isn't good enough to even be on the bench when only a few years ago he was playing in a World Cup Final... he is the ideal sort of player to have on the bench, to come on and offer a bit of skill to try and unlock any stubborn defence. Whether he is good enough for a start or for us to sign permanently, not sure about that yet!

Yeah, and Djuricic hasnt added that either

Shelvey or Sigurdson would be ideal, preferably shelvey

Djuricic just had his best game for Saints, which admittedly isn't saying much.

I'm not convinced Shelvey would improve us much, though we are lacking anyone who can shoot from range (other than Alderweireld). I think Sigurdsson would be a good fit. If we can't have a Coutinho we could at least have an Eriksen.

Djuricic just had his best game for Saints, which admittedly isn't saying much.

I'm not convinced Shelvey would improve us much, though we are lacking anyone who can shoot from range (other than Alderweireld). I think Sigurdsson would be a good fit. If we can't have a Coutinho we could at least have an Eriksen.

Djuriric had his best game against palace - it was a shame that the international break then came and he got injured. Not done enough yet but i'm neutral on him and certainly haven't written him off after 2-3 games.

Shelvey is a Cork-type player. Excellent for depth but question marks over whether he is a true upgrade for the first XI and almost certainly would want to play week in, week out. Personally, I think Sissoko would be a great addition.

Djuriric had his best game against palace - it was a shame that the international break then came and he got injured. Not done enough yet but i'm neutral on him and certainly haven't written him off after 2-3 games.

Shelvey is a Cork-type player. Excellent for depth but question marks over whether he is a true upgrade for the first XI and almost certainly would want to play week in, week out. Personally, I think Sissoko would be a great addition.

Well yes, when Sigurdsson and Shelvey long range efforts sail into top corners you think that's great, what you don't see is all of the efforts that sail into row Z and hit corner flags. Take Shelvey, stats say he's on 2 shots at goal a game, 29 games

so that makes 58 shots, 3 of them are goals so the other 55 aren't. Long range pile-drivers are great when they go in, not so much when the keeper picks them off or they go over the top or wide. Morgan has scored more goals than Shelvey I think in less games and about half as many shots.

Not sure Shelvey is a `Saints type` - when he was at Charlton he had a reputation for being very selfish, very me-me and didn`t buy in to the squad `culture/philosophy.` We`ve had our share of misfits.