JWP Sending off - are Saints going to appeal this ?

manina-pub

Was it a straight red or 2nd yellow?

Straight I believe.

If straight, isn't that an automatic 3 match ban and the end of his season?

It was a straight red card, but it is a 1 match ban for what the ref deemed denying a goalscoring opportunity. Like when Gardos was sent off vs Sheffield United and only missed one game.

It was a straight red card, but it is a 1 match ban for what the ref deemed denying a goalscoring opportunity. Like when Gardos was sent off vs Sheffield United and only missed one game.

If you actually watched and understood what was going on on the pitch rather than basing everything on want happens on your computer screen maybe you'd get it. Maybe you'd have seen that Defoe lost control of the ball and ran into JWP rather than him maliciously hacking down Defoe. If we appeal we'll win if the FA gave any gumption they'll over turn it. However that would also make the penalty questionable and Sunderlands 3 points, so I'm sure they'd rather bury their head in the sand and ignore the scenario rather than admitting their errors.

If you actually watched and understood what was going on on the pitch rather than basing everything on want happens on your computer screen maybe you'd get it. Maybe you'd have seen that Defoe lost control of the ball and ran into JWP rather than him maliciously hacking down Defoe. If we appeal we'll win if the FA gave any gumption they'll over turn it. However that would also make the penalty questionable and Sunderlands 3 points, so I'm sure they'd rather bury their head in the sand and ignore the scenario rather than admitting their errors.

What do you mean by he'd "get it"? All he's doing is stating the fact that JWP got a straight red card for denying a goalscoring opportunity (which was in response to someone asking if it was 2 yellows). He didn't say he agreed with the decision.

Calm down mate. It's you that doesn't "get it". He was just answering the point about whether the ref gave a second yellow card or a straight red card.

So basically, you agree with MLG :lol:;)

very harsh red. but you can see why it was given

amazing how we never actually got a penalty at home to liverpool but this was AND a red

This, basically. It's football, sometimes these things happen. The best thing is to try not to get into a situation where colliding with a player might give away a penalty. Better still if Maya doesn't make a weak header that puts Jose into trouble or a bad pass that lets the opposition counter attack.

Yellow card for Defoe, petulant kick from behind after he's lost the ball.

No one likes blaming refs when our main problem is that we can't score, but it's been clear for weeks now that Kevin Friend's appalling display at SMS when he was playing for Liverpool will damage our season.

Swings and roundabouts?

No, just inconsistent refereeing that rarely balances out.

Yellow card for Defoe, petulant kick from behind after he's lost the ball.

No one likes blaming refs when our main problem is that we can't score, but it's been clear for weeks now that Kevin Friend's appalling display at SMS when he was playing for Liverpool will damage our season.

Swings and roundabouts?

No, just inconsistent refereeing that rarely balances out.

but then, we should have conceded a penalty against chelsea at SMS and away to newcastle. both would have been harsh but again, you see them given

but then, we should have conceded a penalty against chelsea at SMS and away to newcastle. both would have been harsh but again, you see them given

And Aguerro was scythed down in an amazing non pen decision

The fact that Yoshida had walloped the ball away as JWP clattered Defoe must deem it worthy of disputing.

The only bizarre downside is how much mud from the Clattenburg nonsense is still swilling around in the water, and JWP gets a further 2 matches for asking the question, as has happened with players at "lesser" clubs in the past.

Did you actually read what I said in the context of what I was replying to?

I was replying to this question...

If straight, isn't that an automatic 3 match ban and the end of his season?

I made no comment on if it should have been a red card or penalty. I was merely stating how long Ward-Prowse will be suspended for if no successful appeal is made.

What do you mean by he'd "get it"? All he's doing is stating the fact that JWP got a straight red card for denying a goalscoring opportunity (which was in response to someone asking if it was 2 yellows). He didn't say he agreed with the decision.

Exactly! But Turkish likes to jump on any post I make and in this case is very, very wrong.

Edited by Matthew Le God

It was 2-0 when that happened. :thumbup:

Not to mention he had lost control of the ball and it was already going wide. A penalty and a yellow but not a red to the letter of the law.

I'm amazed at the number of people who think a red is automatically 3 matches. Only for violent conduct.

Not to mention he had lost control of the ball and it was already going wide. A penalty and a yellow but not a red to the letter of the law.

I'm amazed at the number of people who think a red is automatically 3 matches. Only for violent conduct.

more often than not it feels that a keeper is sent off in those situations

more often than not it feels that a keeper is sent off in those situations

If you're going to talk about what should have happened, you can't have it one way and not the other. That should have been a penalty, Long should have had one at 0-0. Neither should have been a sending off.

If you're going to talk about what should have happened, you can't have it one way and not the other. That should have been a penalty, Long should have had one at 0-0. Neither should have been a sending off.

im going on what probably would have happened had they got the penalty they should have at the time

JWP probably should not have been sent off looking at it again. He was, the refs this season are weak and shyte

Or serious foul play or offensive, abusive or insulting language.

I thought a red was harsh but not totally unjustified.

Thought it was a penalty myself. I think we would of been annoyed if it was the other way around and not given.

But should not have been a red card at all. Defoe was not in control of the ball and was not denied a clear shooting chance. So to get a red was very very harsh. JWP though had a very poor game again and think a break would do him good.

Not according to P42 in today's Echo, which has the heading "JWP's season is over".

Strangely not on their website. :rolleyes:

Thought it was a penalty myself. I think we would of been annoyed if it was the other way around and not given.

But should not have been a red card at all. Defoe was not in control of the ball and was not denied a clear shooting chance. So to get a red was very very harsh. JWP though had a very poor game again and think a break would do him good.

This.

There was NO goal scoring opportunity in my view FWIW.

Depends what the official reason for the red card is I suppose, only seen the video but the challenge looks decidely rustic

and might even be considered as an over zealous tackle from behind. Guess we'll find out tomorrow when the FA updates the suspenson lists.

Edited by Window Cleaner

No point, it was a harsh red card, no one's denying that but it wasn't a ridiculous red card.

Was very harsh. Adrian's red card against us was overturned, which was very odd. Used to think no point appealing, but in that case maybe there is.

I remember agreeing with that decision. I remember thinking that Mane fouled him or that Adrian got the ball or something, I can't remember now but I do remember thinking when I heard it was overturned that it was the right call. The only thing that made that red card just was that Carlton Cole should have been sent off earlier in the game. How he got away with a booking for booting our player (Bertrand I think it was) in the face, I'll never know. Then again, McCarthey did that against us for Everton about 3 times at Goodison a few weeks ago and got away without even a yellow.

Easy to see why a pen was given, although very debatable - the red was a massive over-reaction from the ref though. Very similar to the Duff red for Burnley, which was also a ludicrous decision.

Definitely worth an appeal in my opinion, it shouldn't carry any weight at all, but the fact the JWP is such a key player in the U21 set-up and has Hodgson talking him up all the time would almost certainly work in his favour as well.

but the fact the JWP is such a key player in the U21 set-up and has Hodgson talking him up all the time would almost certainly work in his favour as well.

Since Christmas he has been absolute gash. He wouldn't get anywhere near the full England team based on his form over the past 5 months.

Offensively he ranks 11th in our team http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/18 even Wanyama rates better. He is just a passenger right now. Time for him to have a break.

Since Christmas he has been absolute gash. He wouldn't get anywhere near the full England team based on his form over the past 5 months.

Offensively he ranks 11th in our team http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/18 even Wanyama rates better. He is just a passenger right now. Time for him to have a break.

Actually offensively he ranks 16th. You need to click on the "rating" column on the right hand side to sort in rating order. Surprisingly he rates slightly higher defensively (but only a place, 15th).

Actually offensively he ranks 16th. You need to click on the "rating" column on the right hand side to sort in rating order. Surprisingly he rates slightly higher defensively (but only a place, 15th).

You get my point though. While the boy may come good in the long term, the past 5 months he has done nothing. Can we afford to have a player who doesn't contribute as much as others? If we look at our weak spots and where we can improve he is without a doubt one of them. I don't like to single out players for criticism especially when overall the season has been great. But if we had a true attacking midfielder in the centre who can chip in goals we would probably be a few points better off.