Politics - The Next Five Years

View From The Top

They had no choice whatsoever if they wanted any credibility at all. They have spent years begging the British people to deliver them a hung parliament, so that they could hold the balance of power. To have that result and then walked away would have been bizarre .

Willie Nelson, Lord Duckhunter??! I take it you like him for his music not his politics...!

Utter garbage. Of course they had a choice. They made the right choice but paid a heavy price.

And awfully sweet for you to deride a political party as nothing more than a "protest vote". I mean, heaven forbid anyone catching you ever supporting a one - dimensional protest party, right?

Following on from that, here's what we've now got to look forward to...

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/7-laws-the-lib-dems-stopped-the-tories-from-passing--gkKwqOshgb

They had no choice whatsoever if they wanted any credibility at all. They have spent years begging the British people to deliver them a hung parliament, so that they could hold the balance of power. To have that result and then walked away would have been bizarre .

I can think, off the top of my head, three or four other options they could have progressed with so, again, to say they had no choice is nonsense.

And, of course, you would never support a party with a stated aim to influence whichever party won out in the event of a hung parliament. You'd never support that, would you?

How can anyone be against this?

"Snooper’s charter

Consistently blocked by the Lib Dems in the coalition, Cameron is expected to push through greater powers for the police to monitor internet and phone communications. Only the libertarian wing of the Tory party could prevent it becoming law."

"Snooper’s charter

Consistently blocked by the Lib Dems in the coalition, Cameron is expected to push through greater powers for the police to monitor internet and phone communications. Only the libertarian wing of the Tory party could prevent it becoming law."

Law abiding adults who don't like feeling that they're back at school?

You're up for losing this? Are you sure?

i agree with those concepts, I disagree with the interpretation of the HRA eg votes for serving criminals. I think it was good meaning legislation that has been perverted beyond its original intentions.

there has been a loss of distinction between human and civil rights.

"Snooper’s charter

If the Police feel the need to pry they can apply for the appropriate warrant, they should not have the right to go on fishing expeditions. This will also place a significant burden on Telcos and organisations delivering public access Internet services, as they will have to collate and store the data.

You're up for losing this? Are you sure?

Why not. They are hardly going to replace it with a nazi style system.

It is just the Conservative party. A pretty moderate bunch popular in a pretty moderate England. I suspect despite your gloomy predictions, what they replace it with will look almost identical. Just a few tweaks. Won't stop many getting hysterical though.

Edited by Batman

Not so much policy but in general, what do we think will happen? We have the question of a referendum, Boris v Dave, new Labour leader etc.

The riots have already started.

David Cameron get out, we know what you're all about.

Cuts, job losses.

Money for the bosses

LOL

Why not. They are hardly going to replace it with a nazi style system.

It is just the Conservative party. A pretty moderate bunch popular in a pretty moderate England. I suspect despite your gloomy predictions, what they replace it with will look almost identical. Just a few tweaks. Won't stop many getting hysterical though.

You are aware a lot of Nazi policies were based on traditional UK conservative policies at the time right? Maybe mentioning them in this context is not appropriate; if you ask me for evidence I will give you a reading list.

Either way, I stumbled upon this charming MORI Poll which is mostly interesting (he ruins it with the last point) especially when watching these programs like Benefit street or Saints and scroungers...

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3188/Perceptions-are-not-reality-the-top-10-we-get-wrong.aspx

I expect this one will be amended and is clearly designed to replace the ECHR one. In reality it isn't going to change much at all and certainly isn't going to lead to flagrant abuses of human rights like some on here seem to imply.

But the problem I have with this is that pretty much the basis for the international court of human rights IS that bill and we can't simply walk away from the rest of the world and say we don't agree to what they say; we'll look like a pariah state.

• 2 weeks later...
Good article about imminent changes to go with the ones that have already happened, to the NHS

http://www.spinwatch.org/index.php/issues/lobbying/item/5769-nhs-the-foxes-have-control

When I see these long lists of private companies that are starting to feast on the NHS I see thousands and thousands of well paid financial types, accountants, executives sucking up tax payers money instead of it being spent on patients.

When I see these long lists of private companies that are starting to feast on the NHS I see thousands and thousands of well paid financial types, accountants, executives sucking up tax payers money instead of it being spent on patients.

But surely involving private commercial expertise is making the NHS more efficient and delivering greater VFM for the taxpayer ?