SAINTS v Aston Villa build up thread

Coxford_lou

Good point from one of the comments:

The irony of it all is that teams are so desperate to chase the 4th CL spot, they might end up costing the league that 4th CL spot because of their lack of commitment to the Europa League.

Currently England is 2nd in the UEFA co-efficient. However, based on the last 4 seasons Germany will leap frog them next season (unless English teams drastically outperform German teams). That would put England in 3rd, with Serie A only needing a 4 point swing to overtake England, demoting the EPL to just 3 CL places - bearing in mind Serie A still has 3 teams in Europe earning them coefficient points while England has none, and this seasons swing currently stands at +5 in Serie A's favour.

So, if English, German & Italian teams have similar seasons next year, England will lose it's 4th place to Italy and the lack of commitment to the Europa League will be a big part of that.

I've already seen the calculations elsewhere - it will take around 2-4 years of Italy winning it and England failing to get past the QF stage for this to happen. The +4 and +5 stuff up there is nonsense, England loses 7 points just from Man U's 2011 final appearance dropping off the coefficient this season and they're still comfortably ahead after that.

Worst-case scenario: what’s the earliest the Premier League could realistically lose its fourth Champions League place?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11945/9765327/premier-league-to-lose-champions-league-spot-coefficients-explained

To wildly predict the future, England’s fourth place will not be affected for the 2015/16 season, should be protected for the 2016/17 season, but may come under threat for the 2017/18 season - but only if Italian clubs consistently out-perform English clubs across both European competitions for the rest of this season and next season.

Edited by The9

From what I saw of the U-21s on Monday he doesn't look comfortable on the wing and was too easily controlled by the full back - not quite the pace to go past them, although he did try. More effective centrally from what I've seen. He may have been carrying an injury which affected his pace though - for his size he's no slouch.

From what I saw of the U-21s on Monday he doesn't look comfortable on the wing and was too easily controlled by the full back - not quite the pace to go past them, although he did try. More effective centrally from what I've seen. He may have been carrying an injury which affected his pace though - for his size he's no slouch.

Scored the screamer in the final coming from the wing

On course for the best ever finish in the premier league after having the first team ripped asunder and having to do a complete rebuild.... And dopey feckers like you are actually implying he will soon be considered for the sack....

Get a serious grip of your teats. Never heard so much BS.

Read what he actually said.

The early season success is protecting Koeman for the time being, but if we start next season as we are finishing this one the club will learn that goodwill can erode quickly.

I think it's very clear he meant the club will learn that the goodwill of fans can erode quickly. That didn't mean that he thought he club would soon consider him for the sack, just that fans' patience can be short if things carry on next season as they are finishing this. I can't see there's much to disagree with there. Pretty much a statement of fact.

That doesn't mean I think Koeman will or should be sacked either, by the way.

Nigel Adkins is returning to St. Mary's tomorrow!

Guest of the club's board and should be pitch-side before the game to talk to the fans and all that sort of thing.

after the disgraceful way Cortese refused to even have his name mentioned in the match day programme etc after he was sacked it's nice to see, not for the first time, the current board righting the wrongs that made the club look, to put it bluntly, bloody childish. The biggest fault with NC in my opinion.

Nigel Adkins is returning to St. Mary's tomorrow!

Guest of the club's board and should be pitch-side before the game to talk to the fans and all that sort of thing.

Good move, showing Ronald how a respected ex-manager is treated when he returns to the club, rather than the deserved contempt shown to Pochettino and Saggy.

I'd welcome Adkins back in a youth coaching capacity any day, sadly I think such roles are probably beneath a man of his talents.
Thoroughly agree with you. It would really be a huge statement of intent were we too bring him back in this capacity.

Art, I'm pretty sure James was referring to RK's pre match conference the other day.
Better posting the kickoff time than having people missing the game. Posted the ideal Media software TVMC to you to install. Takes 2 minutes to install and will have the game for those unable to go.

Dr Barry Gale is in the stadium........we will meet this forward thinking sports psychologist in the flesh methinks.

Tom Davis seems a really amiable chap,just received a nice tweet from him.......he throughly enjoyed working with Southampton FC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why has Davis been replaced? Neither are great but I'm more confident with Kelvin in goal.

Guess for another look at Gazzaniga. He needs a good game that is for sure. Can't make any slip ups like he did last week

Because the coaching team and manager want to assess the possibilities of using Gazza next season.

Don't scare me with the notion they aren't going to get a keeper in the summer.

Interesting to see if defence has any confidence in him. After the mess up early last game they visibly stopped involving him. Think Kelvin should have been given this game.

Also disappointed to see one of the few players who looked good last week(reed) dropped instantly.

Don't scare me with the notion they aren't going to get a keeper in the summer.

Interesting to see if defence has any confidence in him. After the mess up early last game they visibly stopped involving him. Think Kelvin should have been given this game.

Also disappointed to see one of the few players who looked good last week(reed) dropped instantly.

It's just what Koeman said in an interview with Blacmore after last week's game. Took it to mean one keeper or two required for next season myself.

As for Reed, well I just don't think that Koeman rates him as starting material just yet.

One thing is for sure. You can bet Sherwood will be saying "test the keeper, because he's pants"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Villa players will know this anyway, what was it last season? 3 shots 3 goals?

Need a huge improvement on the no shows against Leicester and Sunderland. This is a must win but it's hard to be confident with this clown in goal.