Jack Cork interview

doddisalegend

Not exactly ground breaking but straight from this horses mouth

"Some people said I was going backwards, but for me it was about someone wanting me a bit more," said Cork.

"It felt like I wasn't really as valued at Southampton and it felt like it was a great time to move.

rest of the article here

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Jack-Cork-feels-valued-Swansea-City/story-26474540-detail/story.html

Shame IMO we couldn't have made him feel more wanted but we had three quality DMs (plus Reed pushing) so someone was going to be unhappy I guess.

He wanted week in - week out first team football, Morgan and Wanyama, when fit, would play before him. An undeniable fact. He didn't want to sit around for the rest of the season in the hope that either Morgan or Wanyama got injured/suspended so he could play.

He made a footballing decision and went for game time, and fair play to him for that. Quite a few players are happy to sit around and pass the time of day whilst picking up top $$$ and are rightly criticised for that. But I hold nothing against him for his decision, top lad.

Yup, definitely should have kept him, he's a brilliant midfielder.

Our own fault though, and we've taken a gamble. Would love to have him available next season once Morgan goes.

How is it our fault? We made him a decent offer but he left because he wanted to play football. He isn't better than Schniderlin and Wanyama so couldn't guarentee him a first team place. He was a great player for us and an excellent signing but not a first choice player here now. Fair play to the lad, he's taken less money to play first team football, he could have stayed on more money and watched from the bench most weeks. Funny how when it's non saints players who are happy to sit on the bench and take the money they are mercanarcy scum throwing away their careers, yet when one of ours decides he doesn't want to do that the club are at fault for not keeping him.

As has been said above, he's just not as good as Morgan or Big Vic (no shame in that whatsoever) and he would rather play first team elsewhere than play second fiddle to them (completely understandable).

Good, but not great player who seemed like a decent chap. Making a decision to move on based on playing time and not money on serves to further that impression. We got decent service from him, and ultimately still made a slight profit (fee wise at least) on a player we might have otherwise lost for free. Shame he didn't stay, but can understand the move from both the club and players perspective.

He's gone now, really not much point in fretting over it.

Not good enough for top 6 teams was best that he moved on!

You do know we are not a top six side don't you? Not good enough for us but good enough for Swansea (where he is a regular starter) who we are, arguably, not much better than.

It was hard to seem he getting game time ahead of Morgan and big Vic when they where both on form but I would have loved to have Cork available the last few games to cover Morgan's injury or replace Victor now his form has dropped like a red hot brick.

You do know we are not a top six side don't you? Not good enough for us but good enough for Swansea (where he is a regular starter) who we are, arguably, not much better than.

Swansea could be Top 6 by the end of next week. Will that mean they will have to sell him because he won't be good enough for Top 6.

Think there is another factor with Cork. It must have been quite galling being left behind during international weeks to train with Kelvin. I can imagine he wanted to get regular football to stake a claim for England place (in my opinion he is certainly better qualified than some of the dross that England currently pick). Odd though that he opted for Swansea where for whatever reason Woy doesn't seem to pick their players like he does ours.

It was hard to seem he getting game time ahead of Morgan and big Vic when they where both on form but I would have loved to have Cork available the last few games to cover Morgan's injury or replace Victor now his form has dropped like a red hot brick.

But that's what we aspire to be , Say he'd of stayed and Morgan goes this summer as expected do you keep Cork as first choice or buy a replacement?

I gave to disagree with some of this - I agree that on a like for like basis that Wanyama is better, however against the poorer sides cork is a better option as Wanyama slows the game down and isn't a great passer. That should have been the basis for trying to keep him rather than always play Wanyana when fit and make it clear he was an understudy come what may. Plus we must have known that we would lose one of Wanyana or Schnederlin come season end. Big miss for us - ironically we'll now be looking for a Cork in the summer and there are very few good big defensive midfielders around so we will need to either gamble on someone totally unproven or spend big. Also don't agree with the Reed progression, I've yet to see the club place any real faith in him so he can't be hugely fancied - they'd rather play someone out of position instead.

Right, but Cork didn't want that. He didn't want to be sat around waiting for Morgan or Victor to rule themselves out. So we could either pay him way over the odds to be a squad player or let him leave.

There is only a discussion to be had here if you think: i) he should have been starting games ahead of, or in addition to, those two for most of the season; or ii) you would liks us to make squad players financial offers which are too lucrative to refuse.

One of the hardest things in football, and even more so for a club our size, is having a squad of good players that are good enough to contribute when they come in, but content enough not playing every week.

Spot on and, am afraid the reason that we have gone as far as we can.

One of the hardest things in football, and even more so for a club our size, is having a squad of good players that are good enough to contribute when they come in, but content enough not playing every week.

Somewhat depressing, but ultimately spot on.

Are we big enough, both in terms of stature and the amount we pay in wages to have a really decent keeper playing second fiddle to Fraser (and then extrapolate that throughout the team)?

I doubt the answer is yes, so we will always have a core of decent players (and anyone really, really good is in danger of being poached!!), supplemented by some average ones who can temporarily fill the gaps.

How is it our fault? We made him a decent offer but he left because he wanted to play football. He isn't better than Schniderlin and Wanyama so couldn't guarentee him a first team place. He was a great player for us and an excellent signing but not a first choice player here now. Fair play to the lad, he's taken less money to play first team football, he could have stayed on more money and watched from the bench most weeks. Funny how when it's non saints players who are happy to sit on the bench and take the money they are mercanarcy scum throwing away their careers, yet when one of ours decides he doesn't want to do that the club are at fault for not keeping him.

Adam Lallana - it's ridiculous he has thrown away his starting position at Saints to be a bit part playing bench warmer at Liverpool. It's a disgrace.

Jack Cork - it's ridiculous he wanted to have a starting position at Swansea when he had a golden opportunity to be a a bit part playing bench warmer at Saints. It's a disgrace.

The issue was the fact that saints let until 6 months before the end if his contract before offering a new one, it hardly showed much faith did it especially considering Steven Davis was given a new contract before him!

I said at the time that keeping Cork until the end of the season would of been far more beneficial to us than the £2m we got for him!

Don't get the comparisons to Morgan and Vic...they're defensive midfielders whereas Cork had some tricks and could move with the ball. He was also a goal scorer...remember what one of those looks like?

Come on for christ sake, you can't call Jack Cork a goal scorer, it took him 3 years to notch one.

He's the same sort of player, he's a deeper midfielder, not an attacking type. He was tried in that number 10 role, I remember Koeman alluding to it - but he wasn't suited.

Don't get the comparisons to Morgan and Vic...they're defensive midfielders whereas Cork had some tricks and could move with the ball. He was also a goal scorer...remember what one of those looks like?

2 goals in 130 odd appearances. I remember what goalscorers look like and they don't look like Jack Cork.

One of my favourite Saints players of recent times.

Saints screwed up badly imo not valuing him and offering him a deal last summer. Instead we strung him along and understandably he's gone to a rival club for a tiny fee because they acted like they wanted him.

Personally i always felt he was offered something different but equally good to Wanyama. Some games you a defensive beast like Vic, others you want someone much better on the ball like Cork.

Now we are left in the summer likely having to source top quality replacements for both him and Morgan.

One of my favourite Saints players of recent times.

Saints screwed up badly imo not valuing him and offering him a deal last summer. Instead we strung him along and understandably he's gone to a rival club for a tiny fee because they acted like they wanted him.

Personally i always felt he was offered something different but equally good to Wanyama. Some games you a defensive beast like Vic, others you want someone much better on the ball like Cork.

Now we are left in the summer likely having to source top quality replacements for both him and Morgan.

This with bells on.

Players that are simply not willing to give up, ever, are willing to tackle on the floor with their head and run all day long both to and from goal are the perfect compliment to the technically gifted.

A little part of our glorious rise from the ashes was lost when we let him go. Perhaps he wanted too much money, I don't know, but with Morgan likely to leave wasn't he the perfect guy to fill that huge void?

What game were you watching..he played ok, does the simple things well but Cork would have made no difference to our recent results...we just have too many players off form

He was brilliant for us. A stand out player in some of our most impressive wins in recent times. Definitely better than "ok".

Come on for christ sake, you can't call Jack Cork a goal scorer, it took him 3 years to notch one.

He's the same sort of player, he's a deeper midfielder, not an attacking type. He was tried in that number 10 role, I remember Koeman alluding to it - but he wasn't suited.

OK so he did not score many, but he was better creatively than Wanyama, Morgan, Davis and JWP IMO and provided a threat when around the box. And he always seemed up for it too. Great player who went about his business quietly and efficiently with few mistakes.

OK so he did not score many, but he was better creatively than Wanyama, Morgan, Davis and JWP IMO and provided a threat when around the box. And he always seemed up for it too. Great player who went about his business quietly and efficiently with few mistakes.

No he wasn't, stop making things up. He was as creative as JWP, Morgan, Wanyama - i.e not very creative. That isn't his game, I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Are you confusing him with another player or something?

At the end of the day, Cork didn't want to play second fiddle. He wanted first team football and we couldn't give him that, so fair enough he went searching for that. No one did anything wrong.

The big unknown is whether we could have nailed him down had we offered him a new contract last summer. Seemed much more inclined to sign one then. At the time, the club's position was that RK wanted to run the rule over him, though that didn't stop us offering Fonte a new one.

This season for two clubs, 24 games, zero assists.

Last season 26 games for us, one assist.

Season before, 30 games, zero.

Season before, 39 in the Championship and two assists.

Stats don't prove everything but stats and actually watching Jack Cork play tells me that he was a) not a goalscorer (remember what they look like?) and b) not a creative threat.

Jack Cork did what he did well but not well enough to be selected in front of Morgan and Victor. Really strange that people just can't accept this very basic information.

Adam Lallana - it's ridiculous he has thrown away his starting position at Saints to be a bit part playing bench warmer at Liverpool. It's a disgrace.

Jack Cork - it's ridiculous he wanted to have a starting position at Swansea when he had a golden opportunity to be a a bit part playing bench warmer at Saints. It's a disgrace.

I have noticed that you follow Turkish around like a puppy, or are you the same person?

Well,.looking at how badly Wanyama has played of late. Jack Cork would have certainly have been a better option. Had he stayed he would have had plenty of games with Wanyama and Scheiderlin either injured or suspended

Oh, what a minute!!! Koeman is our manager and Cork would not have got a look in with Koeman prefering Elia and Djuricic.:(

Your reasoning is a disgrace.

And that really is the key to the league generally staying with a pretty consistent order.

players like boruc and cork would be great to keep in our squad as back up but we don't have the ability to keep these happy in that role

I see in a few posts people suggesting we need to buy better than we have and then what we have become back up, which I agree is an ideal scenario, but doing that is so difficult for a club that isn't in the champions league or having high historical prestige or a massive wage bill.

he would only need to be average to stand out in our side at the mo.....and he is more than average.

I'd say he's about as average as it gets in the Prem, and his skillset of simple sideways passing and inability to score is pretty much the last thing we need at the moment. Plus if he was still here he'd be leaving in 2 matches for free so he'd hardly be likely to be busting a gut.

I'd say he's about as average as it gets in the Prem, and his skillset of simple sideways passing and inability to score is pretty much the last thing we need at the moment. Plus if he was still here he'd be leaving in 2 matches for free so he'd hardly be likely to be busting a gut.

scored more than our CMs.