Back up keeper

andoru

I think we all agree that we need a better back up for Forster, but who could we realistically get to warm our bench? I was wondering about Rob Green now that QPR have gone down. He’s decent enough that I’d feel fairly confident with him stepping in, but probably not strong enough to be playing week in, week out for many Premier League sides. The only real issue would be his age. At 35 he's the same as Boruc, so only really got a couple more seasons in him. Better than either Davis or Gazzaniga though.

(Sorry if there is already a thread on this.)

I think we all agree that we need a better back up for Forster, but who could we realistically get to warm our bench? I was wondering about Rob Green now that QPR have gone down. He’s decent enough that I’d feel fairly confident with him stepping in, but probably not strong enough to be playing week in, week out for many Premier League sides. The only real issue would be his age. At 35 he's the same as Boruc, so only really got a couple more seasons in him. Better than either Davis or Gazzaniga though.

(Sorry if there is already a thread on this.)

Rob Green is on £50,000 p/w at QPR, I doubt Saints will be offering a back-up keeper anywhere near that as they'll eventually be playing second fiddle to Forster.

Relegation Robert? No thanks.

All his fault of course. Nothing to do with the ten losers in front of him.

Rob Green is on £50,000 p/w at QPR, I doubt Saints will be offering a back-up keeper anywhere near that as they'll eventually be playing second fiddle to Forster.

If true then yes, the salary is an issue. But I doubt he'll still be getting that in the Championship as presumably QPR have some kind of relegation clause in player's contracts.

Myhill would be decent, but as ''number 2'' (I think we'll be after 2 keepers).

I hope, and think, our main keeper signing will be a young permanent addition. I don't want washed up crap like Green, just screams short-term.

If true then yes, the salary is an issue. But I doubt he'll still be getting that in the Championship as presumably QPR have some kind of relegation clause in player's contracts.

Remember this is QPR, they are a mess when it comes to transfers, wages and contracts.

Well done for digging up a story from May 2nd.

Thank you very much, Vectis, that means a lot coming from you.

Seriously though, it wasn't something I'd seen here so I figured I'd post it. It's not like it's from two seasons ago; the article is ten days old.

Depends if you have the time or inclination to read the forum on a regular basis I suppose.

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?54132-Saints-Meet-Orjan-Nyland-Buyout-Mirror#.VVH4t_ntmko

Fair play! I'm generally quite the obsessive lurker, but dissertation + exams + job interview prep + hospital appointments mean my time here has been reduced a bit.

Apologies for my vitriol. He looks like a decent 'keeper at the very least, certainly better than our #2-4. £2.2m seems incredibly cheap though?

Fair play! I'm generally quite the obsessive lurker, but dissertation + exams + job interview prep + hospital appointments mean my time here has been reduced a bit.

Apologies for my vitriol. He looks like a decent 'keeper at the very least, certainly better than our #2-4. £2.2m seems incredibly cheap though?

Comes from Norway, not the ocean of footballing talent that it used to be.

Comes from Norway, not the ocean of footballing talent that it used to be.

Our experience with Forren supports your view. On the other ahnd though, our best GK since we've been at St Mary's in my view is Niemi from Finland, which is not exactly a smorgasboard * of footballing talent either.

*just to keep a vaguely Scandinavian theme running

The only Bosman keeper that stands out that I've seen is Gerhard Tremmel at Swansea. Perhaps the back up to the new no.1, while Forster gets fit?

The backup will be the #1 for the best part of next season.......so pay for a decent keeper not a freebie.

You'd have to assume Green and most of the others at QPR have a relegation wage drop clause. As such we would probably only have to match wages of maybe £35-40k. Financially, if we were to sign him for near enough free, it's probably better than spending £2.2m on someone else AND their respective wages.

For those talking about relegation Rob - Kelvin has been relegated with 3 different clubs and I don't remember any demands for him to be kicked out when he was Championship 'keeper of the season.

Seriously? A huge number of people said he wasn't good enough for the top flight and that we needed a decent keeper signed.

I meant I don't remember people saying he wasn't good enough (in the Champ and L1) just because he had been relegated a few times. I never thought he was Premier League class either. Green being relegated doesn't mean HCn'tDAJFU. I don't rate him that highly but he is 3.5 years younger than Kelvin and a much higher calibre IMO.

Telegraph says Saints have scouted Begovic and he will leave Stoke for £8m this summer as they won't make him their highest paid player.

Doubt we would make him ours either though and I doubt we would get a properly established world class no 1 in as would be a waste of wages and another Boruc fiasco when Forster is fit again.

Someone miles better than Tremmel though seeing as they will be playing most of the season.

We actually need two keepers in the summer, because none of the others we have are viable options for PL football and if the new guy also picks up an injury (very possible) then we haven't cured the problem.

Davis is beyond his best (which was never PL quality in any case), Gazza is nervous, Cropper ****e, Britt won't be make it.

Need a proper clearout and give the coaches people they can work with, improve and who are not an actual embarassment.

Also linked with the highly rated Woodman, not for the first time...

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/southampton-interested-newcastle-united-rising-9242541

Edited by Saint Charlie

Does seem very odd to write off a country because they aren't producing lots overall. I mean I wouldn't have recommended any Liberians until George Weah.

Question is, whether George Weah would really recommend any either ?

A few weeks ago we were linked with Ben Amos , probably on a free as out of contract at MUFC, might be a decent gamble for No2, and bring Nyland in as the main act whilst waiting for FF to return. At the end of the season we move one on.

All his fault of course. Nothing to do with the ten losers in front of him.

With any other club I would agree, but has QPR shown any sign of that kind of good business planning. Keep in mind how much money they lost in the Championship last year. It doesn't seem like a lot of players had their salaries significantly reduced by the prior year's relegation.

Remember this is QPR, they are a mess when it comes to transfers, wages and contracts.

Oops. I added this reply before I ready your followup.

Edited by Redslo
Oops

Kasper schmeichael please! Was really hoping Leicester would go down so we could get him cheaper.

Brilliant young keeper and commands his box (ooh err) well!

He's a year older than Forster, so not that young.

Linked with a loan move for Szczesny today.

That would be a coup if true. I assume if it happens it'll be because Arsenal don't want to sell him but know he won't be happy sitting on the bench for them in the short-term.

As i said in one of the other threads. The Mexican keeper Ochoa who's reserve at Malaga would be another loan i wouldn't complain about.

That would be a coup if true. I assume if it happens it'll be because Arsenal don't want to sell him but know he won't be happy sitting on the bench for them in the short-term.

As i said in one of the other threads. The Mexican keeper Ochoa who's reserve at Malaga would be another loan i wouldn't complain about.

The Szczesny we saw gifting us two goals on new year's day?

Why would anyone need to scout begovic? He's clearly excellent and has been for years. we've said we won't spend lots on a keeper and bigger clubs would want him anyway.

Because they are looking for more in depth knowledge than "he's clearly excellent and has been for years."

How long is Forester really out for? If Forster is not out too long then some top keepers are going to be reluctant to come knowing they will be second choice three months later.

Could we get a top class Brazil or US league bound player on loan for half a season if such as thing exists?

Is Boruc out of contract by the way?

How long is Forester really out for? If Forster is not out too long then some top keepers are going to be reluctant to come knowing they will be second choice three months later.

Could we get a top class Brazil or US league bound player on loan for half a season if such as thing exists?

Since 2000 according to this: http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=16120 though as he's only played one match for Torquay I don't think we should be holding our breath.

Boruc is out of contract on July 1st, can we please not revisit that one? There is next to no chance of him ever playing for Saints again after his refusal to sit on the bench this season.

And "half season loans" don't exist, but "season long loans with the ability to recall in the transfer window" covers that option nicely.

I don't think the club will know for sure until pre-season, after it's healed from the op and they can have another check. The general theme with this sort of injury is 9-12 months. So I'd play it safe and get a keeper in with the intention of them being number 1 for the entire season.