Who would you rather go ?

wanyamaisatank

Say likelyhood of actually staying had no bearing ,who out of our star players would you be ok with letting go ? For me atm has to be clyne since February his form has been distinctly average unfortunately.If I could choose one to stay would have to be morgan easily the best player I've seen for saints in the last 15 years as merrington would say DC

I think for most it would be a no-brainer. Keeping Morgan would be enormous, he is a CL level player without question and one of the best players in his position in world football. Clyne is a very good player, but a hell of a lot more replaceable than Morgan would be.

But to be honest, I don't want either to go!

Clyne, good fullbacks are important but an quality midfielder makes a huge amount of difference. We'd struggle to replace Morgan and losing him would leave a massive hole in the middle of our team. Tbh if we could sell Clyne for £15 million and get Trippier for anything under £8 million that would be great business

Clyne, good fullbacks are important but an quality midfielder makes a huge amount of difference. We'd struggle to replace Morgan and losing him would leave a massive hole in the middle of our team. Tbh if we could sell Clyne for £15 million and get Trippier for anything under £8 million that would be great business

This is what I'm starting to not get. Everyone keeps saying its ok to sell a top player for top money as long as we replace him with as good or better for far less. At the same time, the suggestion is that we're seriously looking to become a side challenging for CL. If we have to sell Clyne and Morgan, why do we need to spend less on their replacements? Didn't we have a huge surplus after last seasons transfers? I know the top players get bigger wages, but surely if we keep buying in players for significantly less money than we received for the outgoing ones the squad itself will inevitably be weakened over time?

This is what I'm starting to not get. Everyone keeps saying its ok to sell a top player for top money as long as we replace him with as good or better for far less. At the same time, the suggestion is that we're seriously looking to become a side challenging for CL. If we have to sell Clyne and Morgan, why do we need to spend less on their replacements? Didn't we have a huge surplus after last seasons transfers? I know the top players get bigger wages, but surely if we keep buying in players for significantly less money than we received for the outgoing ones the squad itself will inevitably be weakened over time?

Not necessarily, if the scouting is top notch then you go out and get another player who has the same attributes as Clyne, not quite at the same level right now - but with the coaching he develops and turns into someone as good as Clyne is now. Same with Morgan, or Victor.

We can't go out there and buy ready-made, that's not what we're about. If we lose Morgan for £30m, I'm sure Clasie is being seen as the replacement at about £15m. He has a ton of potential, and it's important to remember that good coaching comes into effect here - how well a player did at club x, doesn't necessarily translate to how he'll do at the new club. If they're coached well and brought along well, we could even end up with better players than the ones who left over time.

It's a sound way of doing it for a club like ourselves, there may bumps every now and then, but we're never, ever going to be a club that will buy a ready-made £30-40m player. In the same way that we're never going to be able to say ''No thanks'' to a £30m offer for one of our players.

We didn't have a huge surplus last summer at all, about 85 million in and about 70 million out...we were also supposed to spend all of the money on transfers and salaries. Toby will be costing us a fortune because he was on of 80K a week at Madrid. We've bought more players than we sold as well so I'd be surprised enough if the wage bill hasn't gone up a fair bit as Krueger said it has. Koeman will cost more that Mauricio (who was poorly paid by all accounts). It all adds up and we had debts to boot.

There is no kitty from last summer.

This summer's aquisitions will have to be funded by the difference in revenues over costs (perhaps about 20 million) and sales.

We'll be getting 80 million or so from the PL wheras we got 76 million last season so the difference isn't all that great.

I think we could replace Clyne with an adequate replacement ( Byram, or Trippier) and have some ££ to spend elsewhere. Schneiderlin is not easily replaced, Clasie may offer the passing rang,e possibly improve it, but Morgan offers a greater presence on the field.

Right backs are easier to replace than most positions so Clyne going would not be a disaster !

Morgan will inevitably leave and will be incredibly difficult to replace !

Toby will probably leave and will be very difficult to replace !

Wanyama needs to stay !

No broken hearts if Elia and Djuricic leave !

Saw an article online yesterday saying that Trippier has a buy out clause in his contract for £3.5m. If thats the case then I'd be pleased to see the disinterested Clyne depart for £20m and bring Trippier in for that.

Say likelyhood of actually staying had no bearing ,who out of our star players would you be ok with letting go ? For me atm has to be clyne since February his form has been distinctly average unfortunately.If I could choose one to stay would have to be morgan easily the best player I've seen for saints in the last 15 years as merrington would say DC

I take your point, trouble is, as a team we've been distinctly average around the same time Clyne started to perform poorly....not sure it is completely a coincidence. Yes we've had injuries and suspensions, but I really do think he contributed a lot to the team when he was fit and committed

Steven Davis for me. Can't believe this thread has been derailed so quickly into transfer news on Clyne. Stay on topic please people!

Not necessarily, if the scouting is top notch then you go out and get another player who has the same attributes as Clyne, not quite at the same level right now - but with the coaching he develops and turns into someone as good as Clyne is now. Same with Morgan, or Victor.

We can't go out there and buy ready-made, that's not what we're about. If we lose Morgan for £30m, I'm sure Clasie is being seen as the replacement at about £15m. He has a ton of potential, and it's important to remember that good coaching comes into effect here - how well a player did at club x, doesn't necessarily translate to how he'll do at the new club. If they're coached well and brought along well, we could even end up with better players than the ones who left over time.

It's a sound way of doing it for a club like ourselves, there may bumps every now and then, but we're never, ever going to be a club that will buy a ready-made £30-40m player. In the same way that we're never going to be able to say ''No thanks'' to a £30m offer for one of our players.

Related to that is the fact that we generally buy younger than we sell. Even Pelle was younger than Lambert. Since players get old and stop being good enough, buying younger is all by itself a way of improving the club. Not enough of a way if you don't buy the right players, of course.

I've read that we are due a lot more TV money than last year - we've certainly been on the box a lot more.

But all clubs are guaranteed pay as if they were on TV 10 times so last year we got paid more than we deserved (so to speak). This year I think we will be on 12 times total (although I might have missed one or two) so it really won't be that much more money.

I've read that we are due a lot more TV money than last year - we've certainly been on the box a lot more.

Not a massive amount of difference, we were televised 10 times last season, and will have been 12 (possibly 13 if the City game bizarrely gets picked) by the end of the season. That's an extra £1.72m (£860k per game). Enough to cover Jay Rodriguez's pay rise for a year, more or less.

This. 100% Agree. Trippier would step up in a good Saints Team. He looked good in Burnelys average Joe team. With better players around him he could another Bertrand. I seem to remember the amount of underwhelment on here when we signed Bertrand and look how thats turned out!

We got paid for the minimum 10 matches last season as per the contract, even though we weren't on 10 times. This season we'll be shown 13 times, 14 if the City match is chosen. That's not THAT much more money - here's last year's chart showing it's around £750k per extra match (there's a flat MOTD highlights fee in there too).

PL-cash-2013-14-OFFICIAL-by-rank.jpg

We'd make £1.2m more per place above 8th compared to last season too.

Not a massive amount of difference, we were televised 10 times last season, and will have been 12 (possibly 13 if the City game bizarrely gets picked) by the end of the season. That's an extra £1.72m (£860k per game). Enough to cover Jay Rodriguez's pay rise for a year, more or less.

You can't count, stevegrant.

1 Liverpool A

2 Villa A

3 Man C H

4 Arsenal A (BT Sport)

5 Man U H

6 Chelsea H

7 Man U A

8 Newcastle A

9 Swansea H

10 Liverpool H

11 Chelsea A

12 Spurs H (BT Sport)

13 Villa H (BT Sport)

and maybe 14 Man City A

You can't count, stevegrant.

1 Liverpool A

2 Villa A

3 Man C H

4 Arsenal A (BT Sport)

5 Man U H

6 Chelsea H

7 Man U A

8 Newcastle A

9 Swansea H

10 Liverpool H

11 Chelsea A

12 Spurs H (BT Sport)

13 Villa H (BT Sport)

and maybe 14 Man City A

It appears as though the list of televised games on the PL official site doesn't list the Liverpool home game. Weird.