Inequality in the UK

bridge too far

I'm not sure what you're on about. I've just read the Ts and Cs of forum membership. It doesn't say anywhere that opinions are to be posted.

This is for information and education

Well you found it so interesting or important that you needed to link to it, yet you didn't give any reason as to why you thought it needed to be shared. I just thought that was strange really. I'm sure that you are trying to reinforce a point but I'm not what that is.

Well you found it so interesting or important that you needed to link to it, yet you didn't give any reason as to why you thought it needed to be shared. I just thought that was strange really. I'm sure that you are trying to reinforce a point but I'm not what that is.

BTF is simply highlighting that our economy is in such a good shape that the wealth generators and job creators are now making more money than they were before...

Yours catalystically.... :)

Wouldn't be all bad, at least lefties would shut up about equality.

But then you'd just pipe up more about how great it is your masters and betters are keeping your wages flat so they can pay themselves more and why they deserve to avoid tax on that extra income you earned for them.

The thing is, inequality doesn't really mean much on its own.

I'd rather we have most people in the country earning around £20 k, and some earning £100 k... than we all be equal and equally starving to death like the Russians were under Stalin.

Theoretically, if we redistributed all wages equally, everyone would earn £27 k (the average uk wage).

But it is only fair that extremely skilled jobs such as surgeons, or aircraft pilots for example, end up earning more than the average shopworker or receptionist or something.

Can't beat a bit of independent research

Ther blogger might not be independent but the stats its based on are. Britain DOES have the most unequal wealth distribution in Europe. You might be able to argue its skewed because of the high number of wealthy non doms here / the large banking industry etc or even its a good thing because of blah blah, but you cant credibly argue its not true.

Theoretically, if we redistributed all wages equally, everyone would earn £27 k (the average uk wage).

But it is only fair that extremely skilled jobs such as surgeons, or aircraft pilots for example, end up earning more than the average shopworker or receptionist or something.

popcorn.gif

Of course. I dont think anyone is arguing about that. But the top 10% professional class are also being screwed by the top 1%. There is an unprecedented accumulation of wealth amongst a very small number of people at levels not seen since the 1920s.

On a different note the rates paid for different jobs vary substantially from country to country. For example a vet in the UK will earn double what one does in Sweden but an engineer will earn less here than there. A lot of the gumpf we are fed about market forces and rate for the job is in fact fairly arbitary.

Edited by buctootim

The thing is, inequality doesn't really mean much on its own.

I'd rather we have most people in the country earning around £20 k, and some earning £100 k... than we all be equal and equally starving to death like the Russians were under Stalin.

Hi Pap

There is an unprecedented accumulation of wealth amongst a very small number of people at levels not seen since the 1920s.

But those 1% earning a huge amount happen to be made up of all the big bosses and CEOs of the country... and they are the ones creating wealth & jobs for the rest of us. And incidentally, they are the busiest people in the country.

But those 1% earning a huge amount happen to be made up of all the big bosses and CEOs of the country... and they are the ones creating wealth & jobs for the rest of us. And incidentally, they are the busiest people in the country.

Lol. In that case how come the UK is less wealthy than France and Germany where the disparity is a lot lower? Why has that gap widened over the past 10 years instead of narrowing?

As is often the case, this is just more left wing bias.

The Eurofound report itself is specifically only looking at the impact of the recession in 2008/09, and recognises the inadequacy of it's own information on which it bases it's findings. It only looks at data between 2007 and 2011, and it certainly doesn't make any projection to 2020 as the blogger does. And it doesn't look at Europe, it only looks at the EU.

So what I think btf meant to say is that the UK was the most unequal country with respect to wages in the European Union four years ago, but four years of Tory/LibDem coalition since then have probably helped to reduction the inequalities that were created by the previous Labour administration.

Or something like that.