Wojciech Tomasz Szczęsny?

Saint Fan CaM

Facebook article with rumour he's coming our way on loan to replace Fraser who will be out all next season - anyone seen anything more concrete on this? :?

No, but I will take your post as confirmation.

He's a tad suspect, but for us he's a pretty good fit. Right sort of level we should be aiming for. Don't think he's a Top 4 keeper in all honesty at the moment, but for a club like us he's probably as good as we can get. Happy if it comes off.

I'd Take it. Played at the highest level, prefer him to a 'young prospect' as back up to Fraser. Saw FF drive in to the stadium Saturday, so assuming his knee cant be 'that' bad?

Saw him on the lap at the end, he was limping pretty badly.

I think he was, then lost it. Maybe too young, wrong attitude, poor form. But he has talent. I mean Fraser wasn't perfect, he had a great defence in front of him, could help Szycezny too. I won't even bother making sure that's spelled right.

Be a good deal for both clubs I think. Although would mean Gazza v Arsenal twice! Although I think people have been a bit harsh on Gazza too. He's very young and is improving.

Although I've read that we may actually put in an offer for him, outright purchase or so it seems. Part Exchange perhaps ?

a Polish acquaintance assures me it's pronounced : VOY-CHECK CHESNEY ?? ...(still doesn't make sense, but will make life difficult for some interviewers)

Doesn't seem to have caused too many issues while he has been playing for Arsenal for the last 6 years.

a Polish acquaintance assures me it's pronounced : VOY-CHECK CHESNEY ?? ...(still doesn't make sense, but will make life difficult for some interviewers)

And is the z silent in tomasz? So it sounds just like 'thomas'?

could just as easily sound like something completely different

I agree...but I'm not overly impressed by some of the interviewers I've heard this season ....we'll see...if it happens. Maybe we'll sign that Norwegian goalie instead.

This could be a crucial signing. Where is the evidence that Forster will be OUT FOR THE SEASON ?

There probably is none, just an extrapolation of the JRod situation I expect.

on 5live they were talking about this the a couple of weeks ago. The guest they had on (some journo) claimed that les reed reckons he will be back in training by December and back in the 1st team in Jan as the injury was NOT worst case scenario

on 5live they were talking about this the a couple of weeks ago. The guest they had on (some journo) claimed that les reed reckons he will be back in training by December and back in the 1st team in Jan as the injury was NOT worst case scenario

Sounds like a pretty standard recovery period (if there is such a thing) for a cruciate ligament injury when you have the best and brightest medical teams at your disposition. JRod took far far too long and I hope we've learnt from that.

Sounds like a pretty standard recovery period (if there is such a thing) for a cruciate ligament injury when you have the best and brightest medical teams at your disposition. JRod took far far too long and I hope we've learnt from that.

Forster hasn't injured his cruciate ligament, its his patellar tendon.

Southampton FC ‏@SouthamptonFC

We can confirm that @FraserForster underwent successful surgery this afternoon after damaging his left patellar tendon. #saintsfc

Forster hasn't injured his cruciate ligament, its his patellar tendon.

Southampton FC ‏@SouthamptonFC

We can confirm that @FraserForster underwent successful surgery this afternoon after damaging his left patellar tendon. #saintsfc

Which is actually a worse injury, but oh well.

True dat. 6-9 months post operation recovery at a minimum. I would say 12 months until he is back properly playing. So that's FF out for all of next season.

I wouldn't expect to see him next season at all. He'll probably miss part of next years pre-season as well whilst slowly building himself back up again. He's on a very long road I think, which is why we need to act like we don't even have FF anymore and get a top quality GK. No one knows if he's even going to be able to come back in a good way. We can worry about competition and fighting for places when he's available for selection again, but I'd hope...if we've done our job properly...he'd be a stand-in for our new number 1 until such a time he gets a chance.

I wouldn't expect to see him next season at all. He'll probably miss part of next years pre-season as well whilst slowly building himself back up again. He's on a very long road I think, which is why we need to act like we don't even have FF anymore and get a top quality GK. No one knows if he's even going to be able to come back in a good way. We can worry about competition and fighting for places when he's available for selection again, but I'd hope...if we've done our job properly...he'd be a stand-in for our new number 1 until such a time he gets a chance.

how come reports suggest (from Les Reed) that they fully expect him back in training BY december?

I agree that we should buy another very good keeper

how come reports suggest (from Les Reed) that they fully expect him back in training BY december?

I agree that we should by another very good keeper

No idea, but I can't see that being possible at all, based on this sort of injury (It's worse than what Jay had). He had to have an operation, which suggested there was a tear, not just a strain or a small tear...possibly a full tear based on how he went down. I don't think you can make absolute 100% judgments until he's had another scan once the op has healed, as that will be the real guideline. But in my opinion December is very, very, very ambitious. Jay was supposed to be back by October, but that never happened. (Although, that was because he got an infection in the knee) Knee injuries are impossible to predict in most cases, but as there are often bumps and compilations along the way you can kind of be sure that it's often a very long road back to first team sport, and come back dates are often altered all the time.

No idea, but I can't see that being possible at all, based on this sort of injury (It's worse than what Jay had). He had to have an operation, which suggested there was a tear, not just a strain or a small tear...possibly a full tear based on how he went down. I don't think you can make absolute 100% judgments until he's had another scan once the op has healed, as that will be the real guideline. But in my opinion December is very, very, very ambitious. Jay was supposed to be back by October, but that never happened. (Although, that was because he got an infection in the knee) Knee injuries are impossible to predict in most cases, but as there are often bumps and compilations along the way you can kind of be sure that it's often a very long road back to first team sport, and come back dates are often altered all the time.

how come you cant, but people at the club can?

the recovery suggest 6-12 months. The club have made it public that they fully expect FF to be back in training by december. That will be about 9 months out.

to use Jay as an example is a tad OTT. different player, different injury, different reactions etc

Well apparently it all depends on the severity of the tear (or rupture), how quickly the surgery to repair it takes place etc. Any more than a few days can inhibit recovery quite a bit apparently.NFL players seem to get quite a few of them and 4-6 months is the estimate to get them back up to scratch.

how come you cant, but people at the club can?

the recovery suggest 6-12 months. The club have made it public that they fully expect FF to be back in training by december. That will be about 9 months out.

to use Jay as an example is a tad OTT. different player, different injury, different reactions etc

It's just my opinion, that's all. The club will always put an ambitious slant on it, but the truth is that it's never as straight forward as it first seems. Yep, Jay is a different example in terms of the injury...but it does show up what sort of complications can occur from knee surgery as opposed to the injury it's self.

Let's just see what happens over pre-season, I'm sure they'll give him another scan and they'll be able to see how the operation went, how it's healing. Then they can put real timescales on a return, although complications can still change that.

This injury is what I did to my knee about 18 months ago. It's a horrible injury - basically detaching the quadriceps from the patella. Mine was repaired by drilling holes in my knee cap and threading the tendons through - a bit like tab top curtains.

Now I'm old and not as fit as I should be but it took me 12 months to be able to walk normally and I still struggle with even gentle gradients so goodness knows how long it would take to get to the level demanded of a premiership goalkeeper even with top notch surgeons and one to one physio.

It's just my opinion, that's all. The club will always put an ambitious slant on it, but the truth is that it's never as straight forward as it first seems. Yep, Jay is a different example in terms of the injury...but it does show up what sort of complications can occur from knee surgery as opposed to the injury it's self.

Let's just see what happens over pre-season, I'm sure they'll give him another scan and they'll be able to see how the operation went, how it's healing. Then they can put real timescales on a return, although complications can still change that.

keep the faith and all that.

either way, I hope we get a decent keeper in soon