Clyne and Bertrand make England squad

Smirking_Saint

Vardy? He's an ok player, but is he England international quality - dont think so. Like others have said, not many other options with Ings, Berahino, Kane etc all in U21s and J-Rod injured. Doubt he'll play in the qualifier though, better to go with Walcott up front if Rooney / Welbeck / Austin arent playing. Happy for Austin, has deserved it.

Seems odd. I get that plenty in front of him are in the u21s, which does make sense for once, but still. Odd to just throw caps at people who are clearly that average and would have no chance normally. Might as well just stick with Lambert in that situation, or just go one striker light.

Its a strange situation certainly but I think Im happier with a stronger u21s line up, I wouldnt imagine Vardy is going to get an aweful lot of game time anyway, and Id rather the likes of Kane etc get more U21s experience instead of a couple of pretty meaningless games.

Vardy...?

You don't have to do much to make the squad up top these days do you. As average as it gets, never an international player

Vardy? He's an ok player, but is he England international quality - dont think so. Like others have said, not many other options with Ings, Berahino, Kane etc all in U21s and J-Rod injured. Doubt he'll play in the qualifier though, better to go with Walcott up front if Rooney / Welbeck / Austin arent playing. Happy for Austin, has deserved it.

So you don't rate Vardy then! Just what is needed. Pacy and direct. Just hope he doesn't play RM to accommodate Rooney! If he plays, agreed he is probably backup.

So you don't rate Vardy then! Just what is needed. Pacy and direct. Just hope he doesn't play RM to accommodate Rooney! If he plays, agreed he is probably backup.

If Vardy is "just what is needed" then I don't even want to know what the level of ambition is.

You don't see the other major European nations dishing out token call ups to people who play for lower level teams and scored 4 goals all season....

Is that to say you rate Vardy above Rooney?

Note: I have no issue with Vardy's call up...but I did double-take...more than once :p

Edited by Donatello

may as well have a look at Vardy. Been very good for Leicester. So why not

we are about to enter into a good era for England. Some excellent players in the U21's coming through. No doubt we will make an utter pigs ear of it and many of those in the U21's will hardly feature for England unless they warm the bench at Liverpool/united

I really don't get this "he's been good for Leicester". In which case why not call up Puncheon? He's outscored Vardy and has been part of a Palace side who've been excellent since Pardew took over. I just don't see the point of it

you are right, puncheon does deserve a chance.

Very droll. The point remains, why are we bothering to call up this caliber of player?

Because we need to fill a squad place and Southgates been told his 'picks' take priority.

What are hodgsons alternatives in reality ? Downing ? Zaha ? Puncheon ?

Is Vardy good enough... No... Not imo, but I hope he grabs the opportunity

Is that to say you rate Vardy above Rooney?

Note: I have no issue with Vardy's call up...but I did double-take...more than once :p

Rooney seems to be an automatic choice in whatever position he wants to play, so others are pushed out wide or told to play supporting roles. That frustrates me. I think England play better without Rooney in the team.

Yes, I'm sure Vardy wouldn't get a call up if Kane et al were available, but I'd like to see Vardy play central and running at players. We don't see a lot of that now. Example: Arsenal tippy tappy, through the eye of a needle ... (yawn)

Rooney seems to be an automatic choice in whatever position he wants to play, so others are pushed out wide or told to play supporting roles. That frustrates me. I think England play better without Rooney in the team.

Yes, I'm sure Vardy wouldn't get a call up if Kane et al were available, but I'd like to see Vardy play central and running at players. We don't see a lot of that now. Example: Arsenal tippy tappy, through the eye of a needle ... (yawn)

Duly noted. On that point though, isn't Vardy more of a wide forward\channel runner anyway? (rather than the tip of the spear) Well, he plays in a front two at Leicester...but wouldn't transitioning to a wide-forward role suit him better than a similar move to (sole) target man?

P.S My perception of Vardy is that he runs behind players, not at them (unless pressing).

Edited by Donatello

Duly noted. On that point though, isn't Vardy more of a wide forward\channel runner anyway? (rather than the tip of the spear) Well, he plays in a front two at Leicester...but wouldn't transitioning to a wide-forward role suit him better than a similar move to (sole) target man?

P.S My perception of Vardy is that he runs behind players, not at them (unless pressing).

Yeh you're right Donny think Jay Rod without the goals

Spot on really

I dont envisage him getting much game time really, he'll play the usual 433/4231 stuff with rooney through the middle, the majority of the squad picks itself. He has Sterling and Barkley not to mention Walcott and lallana back.

For once Englands real issue is in CM, a problem we've not really had over the years. No real holding midfielder, probably Wilshere the best of the lot (if he turns up and stays fit), Delph and Henderson are pretty uninspiring

Lambert should be nowhere near the squad. Shaw is still injured I think and we've got enough decent LB not to need him if there are doubts.

Vardy though... I remember a time when Fowler, Le Tissier, Ian Wright and Andy Cole couldn't get into the team.

Lambert should be nowhere near the squad. Shaw is still injured I think and we've got enough decent LB not to need him if there are doubts.

Vardy though... I remember a time when Fowler, Le Tissier, Ian Wright and Andy Cole couldn't get into the team.

I also remember a time when Brian Deane could.

Spot on really

I dont envisage him getting much game time really, he'll play the usual 433/4231 stuff with rooney through the middle, the majority of the squad picks itself. He has Sterling and Barkley not to mention Walcott and lallana back.

For once Englands real issue is in CM, a problem we've not really had over the years. No real holding midfielder, probably Wilshere the best of the lot (if he turns up and stays fit), Delph and Henderson are pretty uninspiring

It's been the problem since before the World Cup. Or since someone thought Gerrard could play there, anyway.

John Barnes was superb at club level for around 5 years. The fact he was dismal (with one exception) for England was almost certainly not his fault.

That's the point. He was dreadful for England, but still got picked relentlessly by a succession of managers despite his continuously abysmal national form. Compare that for example with mlt who barely got a look in.

That's the point. He was dreadful for England, but still got picked relentlessly by a succession of managers despite his continuously abysmal national form. Compare that for example with mlt who barely got a look in.

Not sure why he wouldn't continue to get picked if he was still playing well for his club though.

Vardy is worth a go - seems to me you don't have to be much cop to play for England these days, at least outside tournaments, because of the opposition we face. When you're up against teams like Andorra and Estonia do you need a team full of Galacticos?

In that case Cork, Dyer, Puncheon, Noble and Ings should all be given a go.

If Vardy is "just what is needed" then I don't even want to know what the level of ambition is.

You don't see the other major European nations dishing out token call ups to people who play for lower level teams and scored 4 goals all season....

Italy? (Osvaldo, Balotelli, Borini have had call ups in the past. I remember Osvaldo's being surprising at the time with us.)

Italy? (Osvaldo, Balotelli, Borini have had call ups in the past. I remember Osvaldo's being surprising at the time with us.)

So you're suggesting those players are in fact akin to playing Jamie Vardy in your side? Borini yes. One token call up.

Despite his many failings Bolotelli had a 1 in 3 goal ration at Inter, AC and City and 33 Italy caps. Osvaldo 1 in 2 at Roma and Espanyol before he came to us and 14 caps. Now I know Vardy had scored 31 in 36 at Fleetwood but ultimately, not remotely the same.

It's been the problem since before the World Cup. Or since someone thought Gerrard could play there, anyway.

I, personally, think he could have done a better job if we employed a 3 man midfield, but yes, thinking he, pretty much alone, after witnessing his end to the season (he looked bloody tired) was crazy.

You are correct by the way, we are poor in midfield right now.