Gaston Ramirez

Dalek2003

He had his chance with us and blew it. Not nearly good enough .

He had a chance to redeem himself with Hull & blew it. Not good enough.

He's now playing at his level and some are wetting themselves with excitement, why? They wouldn't want us to sign a championship player thats failed at 2 different premiership clubs would they?

What's the excuses going to be next year if he playing in the prem?

We signed a player who at the time was one of the most exciting youngsters in world football and let him rot

Why didn't we try to get the best out of him. Players like ward prouse who only has a quarter of Ramirez football ability gets chance after chance whilst the blind supporters trash Ramirez for not being able to cut it whilst he's not getting game time.

Absolutely mental .

"Excuses" for what?

It's the Gastonettes who continually make excuses for him.

He has proven, conclusively, that he is not good enough for us. Not good enough.

You only have to watch them play to see that Tadic gives the ball away far less than Ramirez

This. There's also the fact that Tadic covers a hell of a lot more ground than Ramirez. Gaston can and did become a passenger at times.

Maybe the penny begun to drop with him that come the summer the gravy train will have come to the end of the line, so he had better put himself in the shop window to find the next one to hop onto.

Remember that Saganowski chap when we had him on loan he was superb, when we signed him permanently he instantly became a shadow of the player we were encouraged to sign up. Another 2, Rasiak and Skacel, they always seemed to just do enough never anymore, we played Norwich the night before the transfer window closed, losing 1-0, the pair of them were on the pitch and put in performances that had more than one person in the Chapel cynically muttering the pair of them will be drug tested after the game. The next day the pair of them were shipped out on loan.

I was manoeuvred out of a company once due to structural changes, I was buying my first house at the same time, a meeting I had with my superiors to begin them formalising the process had me thinking I have been stitched up here: blimey I had better get on my bike and get something sorted, otherwise I am in the mire. When the guaranteed axe fell I had already sorted myself out quite nicely. Although not quite the same but if the clock is ticking towards £60k a week being switched off most folks with any gumption will be pulling their finger out to get something to fill that hole.

If someone in Saints has even had the merest thought to keep him on based on his recent performances, they really need to be blindfolded and put infront of a wall.

I am pleased to see he is doing well at Boro. The club (ours, not Boro) clearly doesn't have a massive axe to grind with him either, bearing in mind the various messages of goodwill on social media over the past year or so.

It is a shame it never worked out with Saints, but that is the way it goes. Just a shame that both him and Osvaldo have been such duds considering the amount we spent on them; not the sort of thing we can afford to do too often!:scared:

"Excuses" for what?

It's the Gastonettes who continually make excuses for him.

He has proven, conclusively, that he is not good enough for us. Not good enough.

So has James Ward-Prowse, he has over 100 appearances now and people still call for him to be given 'time'.

I suppose we haven't got room for that when we've got Pelle going through his flicking fit stage in every game.

:lol: Exactly, although, you have to admire his blind perseverance :p (In all seriousness, I don't think it's been as prominent recently, but it's still a flaw all the same).

We have so many expert football coaches on here, and people extremely adept at explaining how players such as the Italy striker and other international players could improve their game, I just can't understand why the club doesn't employ us. It would be so much more effective than relying on the paid coaching staff.

we comiserate (with ourselves) by agreeing that Gaston actually does have talent - even though we didn't see that much of it at SMS, but also let's remind ourselves that he is playing in the Championship at the moment.

If he does stay at Middlesboro (?)..he may find life somewhat different against some of the " grittier" Prem. sides and he'll be back in the treatment room more often.

The type of player that Gaston was supposed to be and was in glimpses is still what we need. We need a number 10, someone who can do something a bit special, unlock a game. Coutinho has won Liverpool games with moments like that when their performance as a whole was pretty ordinary.

For whatever reasons, probably injuries and pace of the league, Gaston hasn't worked out, but I don't begrudge the club buying him and taking that gamble. He's clearly talented and at the time was a highly rated and exciting young player doing well in a top European league, hopefully we out there looking at similar talents so we can find our Coutinho, Payet, Ali etc. (all of whom weren't megabucks)

We have a very solid defence, midfield, plus if we can get them all fit some decent strikers. if we can unearth a little nugget of a player to fill that no10 role, bring some extra flair, creativity and quality to our final third play I think we'd have a decent chance of being in the top 4 with the current squad. A fit Alex OX maybe able to fill that role for us, maybe a bit more direct but could be a key signing. No disrespect to Davis who has been a very solid signing for us, but we need a bit more in that role IMO.

Good luck to Gaston, hope he find a home and finds the consistency his talent deserves.

The type of player that Gaston was supposed to be and was in glimpses is still what we need. We need a number 10, someone who can do something a bit special, unlock a game. Coutinho has won Liverpool games with moments like that when their performance as a whole was pretty ordinary.

For whatever reasons, probably injuries and pace of the league, Gaston hasn't worked out, but I don't begrudge the club buying him and taking that gamble. He's clearly talented and at the time was a highly rated and exciting young player doing well in a top European league, hopefully we out there looking at similar talents so we can find our Coutinho, Payet, Ali etc. (all of whom weren't megabucks)

We have a very solid defence, midfield, plus if we can get them all fit some decent strikers. if we can unearth a little nugget of a player to fill that no10 role, bring some extra flair, creativity and quality to our final third play I think we'd have a decent chance of being in the top 4 with the current squad. A fit Alex OX maybe able to fill that role for us, maybe a bit more direct but could be a key signing. No disrespect to Davis who has been a very solid signing for us, but we need a bit more in that role IMO.

Good luck to Gaston, hope he find a home and finds the consistency his talent deserves.

Totally agree with all of that.

Very rare on here these days but a sensible balanced post! Can't help but agree with you if Gaston had worked out as many believed/hoped he would then people would be referring to his fee as a stonking bargain sadly this time we gambled and lost lets hope next time we get lucky as that role could be key to us pushing on a that little bit which is needed for the next step!

Where does this " he clearly has talent " come from ? Anybody playing professional football " clearly has talent " , but if talent just involved a bit of ball control or being able to pass the ball Mr Woo would have played at the top level . Proper players show their talent when other people are trying to stop you . If you can't do that you're nothing more than a show pony or flat track bully .

Where does this " he clearly has talent " come from ? Anybody playing professional football " clearly has talent " , but if talent just involved a bit of ball control or being able to pass the ball Mr Woo would have played at the top level . Proper players show their talent when other people are trying to stop you . If you can't do that you're nothing more than a show pony or flat track bully .

God forbid anyone's talent should see them descend into cliché.

Being that he's now proved everyone wrong and is clearly now a top half Premier League quality mega-player after all, how come Gaston has been starting on the bench for the last couple of Boro matches?

One can only assume that the rest of the squad have been swallowed up with jealousy at being in the presence of such brilliance and have complained to the manager.

Being that he's now proved everyone wrong and is clearly now a top half Premier League quality mega-player after all, how come Gaston has been starting on the bench for the last couple of Boro matches?

One can only assume that the rest of the squad have been swallowed up with jealousy at being in the presence of such brilliance and have complained to the manager.

to be fair, he was pretty instrumental to them winning when he came on*

*does not mean I think he would cut it here now or in the future

• 2 weeks later...
And which midfielder has? Suddenly need to be faultless to get on our bench?!

Ridiculous decision to rule out that goal, imagine how fcked off you'd be with the top 3 that tight.

They've just shown it again. Ayala is offside when the free kick is taken, not at the end of the move. The commentators are only concentrating on the final pass.

They've just shown it again. Ayala is offside when the free kick is taken, not at the end of the move. The commentators are only concentrating on the final pass.

Well if he flagged for the original kick, which he obviously didn't, it was still wrong because there was another phase of play before Ayala was active. Either way, it was clearly wrong.

No he isn't. You've got that about as wrong as the lino did.

Par for the course then.

Yes he is, look at it again. The Lino shows by his arm waving that the player had come back from an offside position and when he heads the ball becomes involved with play. At the moment the free kick is taken he is offside, end of story.

Holloway's comments are hilarious. They show the freeze-frame at the moment the free kick is taken and he says "but we can also see the linesman so he's not flagging yet so I don't think the offence is here".

Er.. Ian, the flag hasn't gone up because the ball hasn't been kicked yet.

Edited by Whitey Grandad

I haven't seen it, but if Ayala is behind the defence when the ball is played, as of this season he should be flagged offside if he's in a position that means the defenders have to react to defend him. If he's not beyond the defence, then obviously he's not offside, but he doesn't have to be near the path of the ball, etc. any more.

Yes he is, look at it again. The Lino shows by his arm waving that the player had come back from an offside position and when he heads the ball becomes involved with play. At the moment the free kick is taken he is offside, end of story.

He probably is signalling that. But he is still wrong. And that is the "story".

If he flagged for him being offside when the kick was taken then that was wrong. Because the kick sailed over his head and he didn't become active until after two headers occurred.

You don't need to defend decisions that are manifestly wrong. It makes you look blinkered.

If he flagged for him being offside when the kick was taken then that was wrong. Because the kick sailed over his head and he didn't become active until after two headers occurred.

You don't need to defend decisions that are manifestly wrong. It makes you look blinkered.

Back during the World Cup two years ago he was saying that the goal-line technology was wrong and incorrectly awarded a goal so you won't get far with a humble offside :lol:

Back during the World Cup two years ago he was saying that the goal-line technology was wrong and incorrectly awarded a goal so you won't get far with a humble offside :lol:

Something about angles, light and how slow motion distorts reality?

He seems to be MOTM in every one of Boro's games nowadays. Maybe we need to reassess him. I must admit I never rated him when he was with us, but now he looks like someone we really need right now: an attacking midfielder who creates and scores goals consistently.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-fc-man-match-vs-11265929

Nordic, did you actually watch the game? I did and he really wasn't that good. The standard of the game, the space and time that he was afforded, was something that you really wouldn't get in the PL except maybe against Villa. OK, maybe he was better than many on the pitch, but you wouldn't reassess him and think he should be back in our team. He's been farmed out for the past 2 seasons, and a bit part the season before that, so he's not suddenly going to be a fit for us in the PL. Why people think he is, rather than seeing that he has dropped a level which is why he is prospering, is a mystery. You might look at Billy Sharp. Great player in Championship but couldn't cut it in PL.

Nordic, did you actually watch the game? I did and he really wasn't that good. The standard of the game, the space and time that he was afforded, was something that you really wouldn't get in the PL except maybe against Villa. OK, maybe he was better than many on the pitch, but you wouldn't reassess him and think he should be back in our team. He's been farmed out for the past 2 seasons, and a bit part the season before that, so he's not suddenly going to be a fit for us in the PL. Why people think he is, rather than seeing that he has dropped a level which is why he is prospering, is a mystery. You might look at Billy Sharp. Great player in Championship but couldn't cut it in PL.

Billy Sharp never got a chance in the premier league!

Reassess Gaston? His contract expires FFS.

Do think much bs about PL and what type of player can cut it.

Obviously is a much higher standard but your promoted teams had a fair few players who probably not would think wouldn't be up to it but have been.

Lots of players come good unexpectedly. See Mahrez

Reassess Gaston? His contract expires FFS.

Do think much bs about PL and what type of player can cut it.

Obviously is a much higher standard but your promoted teams had a fair few players who probably not would think wouldn't be up to it but have been.

Lots of players come good unexpectedly. See Mahrez

Ehh?