Great season but 1 out of 21 away since 7th feb !

Roger

I don't like to complain after an excellent season but we really should've finished fifth. Too few goals away from home this half season.

Mind you, Kevin Friend has had a big say in us being seventh not sixth!

I don't like to complain after an excellent season but we really should've finished fifth. Too few goals away from home this half season.

Thats a fair summary. Slight frustration to have such a great season and still finish below a poor Liverpool side.

7th is fantastic and quite possibly European football too but 5th was there for the taking and we may never get a better opportunity.

All I will say is that if we keep knocking away at the top 6 and top 4, we will eventually get there one day, but it requires a hell of a lot of patience and some massive luck along the way. It is somewhat disheartening when you hear that we spent longer in the Top 4 this season than the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool (who were never in the top 4) and they're both above us. But still, a good position for the club to grow. We mustn't let the tail end of the season blur our season thoughts, as generally, taking everything into account, what we have done is truly amazing tbh. Who'd have thought we'd better every single stat from last season?

I'm sure Liverpool supporters will point to games they should have won, spurs lost some home games they should win.

At the end of the day 1 point in head to head games against spurs and Liverpool are what has cost us, we weren't good enough to beat them.

We are the 7th best team this season, end of.

I'm sure Liverpool supporters will point to games they should have won, spurs lost some home games they should win.

At the end of the day 1 point in head to head games against spurs and Liverpool are what has cost us, we weren't good enough to beat them.

Hard to argue with this, really.

I think the case of the table doesn't lie is true, come the end. But I don't ever remembering a team outside of the Top 6 finishing with a larger GD than the two above (and by some distance). That, to me, shows how close we are to getting ourselves into that consistent Top 6 level.

If Forster had not been injured and missed the end if the season I am convinced we would have finished 5th.

Our away record was excellent for two thirds of the season, on the third the keeper is out for it goes downhill.

i don't believe it's a coincidence.

If Forster had not been injured and missed the end if the season I am convinced we would have finished 5th.

Our away record was excellent for two thirds of the season, on the third the keeper is out for it goes downhill.

completely agree...

without Forster - 9 matches (if you include Burnley)

during that time:

**only 2 clean sheets (Burnley & Hull - relegation teams)

**no clean sheets in the last 6 matches

**allowed at least 2 goals in 5 matches. (if we had given up only 1 goal in those 5 matches - we would have 4 more points, and 5th place)

**but as it stands.... only 13 points out of a possible 27 in our last 9 matches without Forster.

going back to that stat in regard to goals allowed per match:

without Forester - 2 goals or more allowed in 5 out of 9 matches played.

with Forster - 2 goals or more allowed in 4 out of 29 matches played.

Don't think Forster had anything to do with it really.

We only scored four goals in our last eight away games. That's rubbish. QPR scored more away goals this season than we did and only six teams scored less.

We only scored four goals in our last eight away games. That's rubbish. QPR scored more away goals this season than we did and only six teams scored less.

Stoke away, in control of the game and we let them back in with a keeper error which Forster, being significantly taller would surely have claimed. It has made a difference.

Lack of a striker, even on loan, in Jan probably has too.

Considering the arse was ripped out of the team last summer, getting your record-breaking points tally and scaring the living sh*t out of the big boys has to rank as a fantastic season.

But anyone who claims the season hasnt ended with a bit of a disappointing damp squib, considering where we were in Nov/early Dec, is a bit of a mug.

Considering the arse was ripped out of the team last summer, getting your record-breaking points tally and scaring the living sh*t out of the big boys has to rank as a fantastic season.

But anyone who claims the season hasnt ended with a bit of a disappointing damp squib, considering where we were in Nov/early Dec, is a bit of a mug.

Anyone seriously expecting us to finish where we were in Nov/Dec was slightly naive.

Disagree to be honest. It's a lack of goals that has cost us in the second half of the season, particularly away from home.

You can't consistently score so few goals and expect your defence/goalkeeper to compensate. Don't think we were ever going to keep up the amazing defensive record we had in the early part of the season even if Forster had been in goal throughout.

Really ? If Frazer hadnt got injured, J-Rod had come back earlier and Pelle hadnt suffered a confidence problem, it might have been different.

Too many if's.

The answer to it all is that we don't have a big enough squad to sustain a top 3/4 finish in this league at the moment in time. That's not to be used as a stick to beat the club with either, as no one expects us to. To finish where we were in Nov/Dec we would have needed luck every single weekend of the season, and football doesn't work like that. What we saw was just a straightening out of the league, the bigger squads flexing their muscles and getting over the line, and the smaller squads just dipping away ever so slightly.

Too many if's.

The answer to it all is that we don't have a big enough squad to sustain a top 3/4 finish in this league at the moment in time. That's not to be used as a stick to beat the club with either, as no one expects us to. To finish where we were in Nov/Dec we would have needed luck every single weekend of the season, and football doesn't work like that. What we saw was just a straightening out of the league, the bigger squads flexing their muscles and getting over the line, and the smaller squads just dipping away ever so slightly.

This. Just because we were 3rd halfway through the season doesn't mean we were ever going to stay there.

If it was, say, Pelle, out for the season in March rather than Forster the season in would likely have panned out about the same, just with a different "If only...." angle.

Really ? If Frazer hadnt got injured, J-Rod had come back earlier and Pelle hadnt suffered a confidence problem, it might have been different.

Too many ifs again

Liverpool could argue if they had Sturridge theyd have done better

Swansea could argue if they Bony they mightve finished higher than us

Spurs could argue... Well i cant think of anything they can- lucky ****s.

Point is- we finished 7th as we were 7th best team in the league over the course of a season.

Many people forget how weve had bits of luck go our way too- Targetts foul on Fabregas, Fonte handball at Newcastle-

Football swings constantly- and at the end of the day we werent good enough to sustain a top 4 challenge, and only just missed out on fifth.

However, WE MARCH ON.

If our seasons results went in reverse order then the expectations of many would never have got so high. Whilst it's been a slightly disappointing end, there have been so many positives. The fact is this club isn't ready for Champions League football anyway, let's go serve our apprenticeship in the Europa league and have another steady season. Then, we can think about building upon it. Keep the faith in Les Reed's plans and vision, but most importantly, keep patient.

Winning our last home game 6-1 wasn't too shabby was it? Ok, we didn't maintain our best form all season but then we don't have the money to get that kind of squad in depth that you need at this level. It has been a wonderful season and from here lets hope we build for next season and do even better. We have a top manager, the makings of a decent squad. Plenty to be optimistic about.

If those penalties had been given against us (and we were lucky on several occasions) we could have finished lower. Its all ifs and buts that the point of the league is consistency. Chelsea were the most consistent team so won the league. The rest of us ended up where we are because of what we achieved over the whole season. Every club will have its tales of woe. How rubbish have ManU been this season but fair play to them, they have made it to the CL. As you said yourself, after having had the guts ripped out of the club last summer this season has been a revelation. We should be very proud of all at the club for what they have achieved.

Several factors point to the potential position that CL football was not an impossibility this season, and had some of those factors gone in our favour rather than against us, we could have achieved that goal. There were significant injuries to key players for a start. At various times we lost Schneiderlin, Wanyama and Forster to injury and Rodriguez was out al season. Suspensions meant the loss of Wanyama and Bertrand at key stages of the season in particular. But this list of injuries during a season is just something that the increased depth of squad that the big teams have would have benefited us, but we are not at that stage just yet. Then there is the luck of refereeing decisions and other factors that could have made the difference of the few points that would have placed us above Liverpool and Spurs. It is argued that over the course of a season these level out, but I still suspect that it continues to favour the big teams.

However, it has been a magnificent season all told and depending on the Summer transfer activities, we have a solid base on which to build. I pray that Arsenal thrash Villa like we did and that we have European football next season. That in itself will take us up a level and make us a more attractive target for inbound transfers and it might also play its part in keeping players here too.

Several factors point to the potential position that CL football was not an impossibility this season, and had some of those factors gone in our favour rather than against us, we could have achieved that goal. There were significant injuries to key players for a start. At various times we lost Schneiderlin, Wanyama and Forster to injury and Rodriguez was out al season. Suspensions meant the loss of Wanyama and Bertrand at key stages of the season in particular. But this list of injuries during a season is just something that the increased depth of squad that the big teams have would have benefited us, but we are not at that stage just yet. Then there is the luck of refereeing decisions and other factors that could have made the difference of the few points that would have placed us above Liverpool and Spurs. It is argued that over the course of a season these level out, but I still suspect that it continues to favour the big teams.

However, it has been a magnificent season all told and depending on the Summer transfer activities, we have a solid base on which to build. I pray that Arsenal thrash Villa like we did and that we have European football next season. That in itself will take us up a level and make us a more attractive target for inbound transfers and it might also play its part in keeping players here too.

So if no one had got injured, no one had got suspended , referees never gave any decisions against us, we'd got a bit more luck and had a bigger squad then we might have made the champions league. Insightful stuff as ever Les.

This is what happened last season though, and what will probably happen next season. It's not being unlucky, it's just part of a football season. The difference is, as you said, is that City, Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal can bring back the likes of Wiltshire, Alex Chambo, Theo. Chelsea can call on Remy or Cech. Depth is the reason the league finishes as it is. The truth is that our settled starting 11 is probably up there with the top 4, they'd give them a game every week, but you can't sustain that. I think the table has given a fair reflection on the sides and the strengths of the squads.

Great season but a couple of disappointing moments for me, losing to league one sheff utd in 1/4 final of the cup and despite going to 10 games in 2015 I haven't seen a win since Arsenal at home , makes it feel less successful

Thats a fair summary. Slight frustration to have such a great season and still finish below a poor Liverpool side.

7th is fantastic and quite possibly European football too but 5th was there for the taking and we may never get a better opportunity.

Funny, I remember the same stuff from you bout this time last year. Let me guess, every other team is bound to improve etc. no way any other team will fail to get stronger or have poor seasons again...

Funny, I remember the same stuff from you bout this time last year. Let me guess, every other team is bound to improve etc. no way any other team will fail to get stronger or have poor seasons again...

Not at all. We should do really well next season. Just saying we were good enough this season to get 5th IMO if we had done ever so slightly better during our two main poor spells. Surely most agree with that?

Our GD backs it up too. I am sure the players and Koeman are very happy but also know they had a great chance to do even better.

Last summer was different as was clear since March or so that it was going to be rocky. This summer won't be.

Edited by Saint Charlie

This is what happened last season though, and what will probably happen next season. It's not being unlucky, it's just part of a football season. The difference is, as you said, is that City, Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal can bring back the likes of Wiltshire, Alex Chambo, Theo. Chelsea can call on Remy or Cech. Depth is the reason the league finishes as it is. The truth is that our settled starting 11 is probably up there with the top 4, they'd give them a game every week, but you can't sustain that. I think the table has given a fair reflection on the sides and the strengths of the squads.

So near but so far this season. I think that even the loss of Schneiderlin during a couple of periods of injury made the difference of a couple of places. Spurs were fortunate to have discovered the abilities of Kane, as he was apparently responsible on his own for 22 points for them. They were lucky he didn't suffer a serious injury or they would have been only mid-table. It is small factors like this that can make or break a season

Yes its all 'ifs' & 'buts', but I have to say the way Kevin Friend influenced the Liverpool game is more than luck or maybe's. It was blatant ineptitude or downright cheating!!

Forster injury & not getting another striker in January were the reasons we didn't finish 5th in my opinion.

IMHO we have a starting 11 that can compete with anyone. The big difference between us & the 6 teams who finished above us is squad size. Hate to think how much City's bench cost on Sunday, £75m at a guess! We will get injuries through the season & that's when the other teams have a distinct advantage.

I think the case of the table doesn't lie is true, come the end. But I don't ever remembering a team outside of the Top 6 finishing with a larger GD than the two above (and by some distance). That, to me, shows how close we are to getting ourselves into that consistent Top 6 level.

Happens all the time, though GD is usually a good indicator of where a club should be in the league.

Worth noting we were almost certainly the only side that faced Liverpool with Sturridge in the team TWICE this season...

Yeah, and he bloody well had to score the winner against us as well. Typical.

Just thought....Morgan's shot in the 90th min at Anfield, came off the bar and bounced on the line....that was the difference between 6th and 7th! Small margins.

Spurs were lucky ****s when I think about how many last minute winners they got this season.

It's not lucky if it keeps happening, superior fitness and having Eriksen and Kane helped.

Mind you, Kevin Friend has had a big say in us being seventh not sixth!

Our failure to score had a much much larger say. If we didn't make 5th it was our fault - no-one else's.

2 factors as to why we only finished 7th rather than higher in my opinion:

1 - FF injury. We lost a lot of defensive stability when he went.

2 - Pelle going missing for half the season. Whether your a fan of his or not, no team can afford to have their main striker go missing for the length of time he dos and expect to still be successful. We're a better team than Spurs however the only reason they finished above us is Harry Kane's consistency.

2 - Pelle going missing for half the season. Whether your a fan of his or not, no team can afford to have their main striker go missing for the length of time he dos and expect to still be successful. We're a better team than Spurs however the only reason they finished above us is Harry Kane's consistency.

cant lump that all on Pelle. Koeman had a 12m striker he didn't trust/fancy for the majority of the time we where misfiring.

Should have ave changed the style and system to incorporate Long as our number nine and given Pelle a rest. I think Koeman should be getting a bit of stick for his handling of Long at times.

1 is a classic case of missing the point - Forster's injury also coincided with us not being able to field both Schneiderlin and Wanyama at the same time for the rest of the season, meaning we didn't have our first choice back 4 due to Alderweireld in midfield, or didn't have 2 defensive midfielders in front of them. It also coincided with Yoshida's return to the team. In addition, the team as a whole started failing to show the drive they clearly had against Chelsea, and we lost matches as a result.

None of this would have been massively improved by Forster still being fit - though he might have done better with the efforts conceded at Stoke, that's pretty much the only game where it would have made any difference.

2 Pelle didn't "go missing", teams started marking him and we changed the things he was asked to do to allow Mane to score, then teams wised up to that as well, and as a general rule we struggled to create things all season long anyway due to the defensive focus. It's notable that the two times we stuffed teams came as a result of their dodgy defending, we score goals when we know there's no threat at the other end.

Man so many so called supporters moaning about goals we don,t have 50/90 mill to spend on top quality striker but what an achievement by the club to be relegation candidates at the being of the season we have done well so just clap your hands and be proud or buy a striker and give a present to the club

1 is a classic case of missing the point - Forster's injury also coincided with us not being able to field both Schneiderlin and Wanyama at the same time for the rest of the season, meaning we didn't have our first choice back 4 due to Alderweireld in midfield, or didn't have 2 defensive midfielders in front of them. It also coincided with Yoshida's return to the team. In addition, the team as a whole started failing to show the drive they clearly had against Chelsea, and we lost matches as a result.

None of this would have been massively improved by Forster still being fit - though he might have done better with the efforts conceded at Stoke, that's pretty much the only game where it would have made any difference.

2 Pelle didn't "go missing", teams started marking him and we changed the things he was asked to do to allow Mane to score, then teams wised up to that as well, and as a general rule we struggled to create things all season long anyway due to the defensive focus. It's notable that the two times we stuffed teams came as a result of their dodgy defending, we score goals when we know there's no threat at the other end.

marking a central striker....what an age of football we are in

Teams identified him as the "danger man" around Nov/Dec as they also did with Kane and started to double-mark him.

We clearly have a difference in opinions but, for me, a striker who contributes ZERO goals and ZERO assists for 12 games can be considered "missing"

I am with Andy Porter on this one - the OP was only 1/21 points away - ROKO only mistake all season I feel with hindsight now was persisting with GP when he should have rested him and played Long up front with Mane away from home - as Shane requested after the Chelsea game. 4/21 would have given us 5th place, gutting really...

Teams identified him as the "danger man" around Nov/Dec as they also did with Kane and started to double-mark him.

We clearly have a difference in opinions but, for me, a striker who contributes ZERO goals and ZERO assists for 12 games can be considered "missing"

Kane had scored 2 goals in the Premier League prior to December 14th, I suspect his "double-marking" came a LOT later.

How about a striker who pulls into midfield and creates the space for the deep-lying striker?

Oh, and I just checked FantasyLeague.com and Pelle only went 9 matches without a goal or assist. He scored against Palace in the Cup.

His early season record shows what happens when teams don't go to the trouble of trying to stop him.

Edited by The9

Not sure I agree with that, although I can see the logic. Seems to me that having Forster out meant that we had to set the midfield and back line up more defensively, and that lead to less of a goal threat at the other end. How often were we saying that Pellè was isolated up front with no runners to lay off to?