Paul Scholes in the Independant

ecuk268

He writes a weekly column and has named Jose Fonte and Ryan Bertrand in his Team of the Year.

His Manager of the Year is..........Ronald Koeman.

He said he was tempted to go for Mourinho but he cocked up Chelsea's Champions League campaign and he thought that Koeman deserved it taking account of what he inherited in August.

I think Koeman is the obvious choice this season. Mourinho's league success was assisted by terrible starts for all of his rivals. None of the biggest spenders got the results worth the money. None of the others who did well with smaller clubs managed to do as well as Koeman.

I think a case can be made for Allen Pardew.

Newcastle and Palace without Pardew 6 11 21 29pts 38 65 -27

The rest of the seasons for them 17 7 14 58pts 49 49 0

How can anyone seriously think Pardew could be manager of THE SEASON? The Season includes his time at Newcastle, not just at Palace. Half a season at Newcastle where he was singularly unsuccessful (though clearly better than Carver).

For me, the odious Mourinho is the obvious choice, but otherwise toss up between Koeman and Monk.

How can anyone seriously think Pardew could be manager of THE SEASON? The Season includes his time at Newcastle, not just at Palace. Half a season at Newcastle where he was singularly unsuccessful (though clearly better than Carver).

For me, the odious Mourinho is the obvious choice, but otherwise toss up between Koeman and Monk.

They were 10th when he left. Hardly embarrassing. Not that I would recommend him for Manager Of The Season!

To those opting for Monk (above Mourinho/Koeman), why? Curious, not questioning legitimacy.
Didn't he secure their highest ever Prem League points total? Play good attacking football in the main. Had their talisman, best player centre forward sold and not really replaced.

I think Monk, Pardew, Koeman and Mourinho are all good shouts.

You have a strange definition of "singularly unsuccessful". This season he has done very well at both clubs, Palace especially.

Newcastle wouldn't have been fighting for theirs lives on the final day were he still about.

You have a strange definition of "singularly unsuccessful". This season he has done very well at both clubs, Palace especially.

Newcastle wouldn't have been fighting for theirs lives on the final day were he still about.

be interesting to see Pardew's total points haul this season as a whole

EDIT - Something like 66 points for both clubs this season. which is good really

Edited by Batman

Manager of the year should be relative to the financial value of his players. I do like the special one but jeeze he should do well when you think what he has at his disposal.

Not sure of the value of the Swansea squad but Monk has done wonders considering his financial restrictions.

There must be a maths guru here who could work this out, it would be interesting to see how Ronald would fair!

Koeman, Monk, Mourinho, Pardew - in that order.

Koeman had to completely rebuild the squad and still achieved our highest ever Prem finish and points total.

Monk had a similar task as he had to replace Bony and also recorded their highest ever points tally.

Mourinho's Chelsea were the most organised team in the division and very worthy winners, although they were helped by lacklustre efforts from Man City and Man Utd who are their only real challengers atm (Arsenal will be if they get a top striker & DM).

Pardew did alright at Newcastle but has revitalised Palace in the same way that Pulis did last season. Made them very tough to beat at home and on the road and has snatched some big wins against big teams too.

be interesting to see Pardew's total points haul this season as a whole

EDIT - Something like 66 points for both clubs this season. which is good really

58 points, according to Redslo. Still a very good haul, especially considering how shit the 2 teams teams were without him.

It surely has to be someone who improved their team to such an extent that they actually achieved a notable improvement in the club .....(all things considered)

Given that Koeman inherited half-a-team last June, bought in new talents and turned things around and (by hook or by crook) got into Europa League (which we deserved)

....then in many opinions ..he'd be a good candidate. Good as it is for Jose at Chelski, they do have more than a " slight advantage " over most other Prem. clubs.....

perhaps there should be another Manager of the Season Award for those men who turned things around and eventually saved their teams from relegation?.

.......in which case the competition would be between Pardew, Pearson and..... maybe Sherwood.

and yet another award for those nice guys who fought valiantly .....(Steve Bruce and Sean Dyche)....but (sadly) failed.

A special award next season for Watford, ...if they survive will have the task of deciding WHO gets the award, as Manager of the Month has a special meaning for them.

Edited by david in sweden