Calum Chambers

Redslo

Aren't Doyen the group who also own the transfer rights of some players. Possibly the group that did own Marcos Rojo?

I didn't think that was allowed in England? the clubs have to own 100% of a player.

When Utd bought him, they had to buy out 100% of his rights. Interestingly, Tadic is also represented by them. But both Tadic and Rojo are now greyed out on their site saying ''transfered to club xx''

I didn't think that was allowed in England? the clubs have to own 100% of a player.

When Utd bought him, they had to buy out 100% of his rights. Interestingly, Tadic is also represented by them. But both Tadic and Rojo are now greyed out on their site saying ''transfered to club xx''

I believe that is correct. Their ownership of Rojo I think is one of the problems we had in our attempt to buy him. Since Toby worked out well, it is all good.

Thought he was one of the bigger "defectors" to be honest as he gave us very little and left so early. That said, him leaving caused such a stir that it prompted Ralph to come out and insist JRod and Morgan was staying.

I got the impression from subsequent statements that he wasn't pushing to go, the club just could resist receiving 16 million for a second team player. (It might have been wise to resign Clyne before making this decision however.)

Thought he was one of the bigger "defectors" to be honest as he gave us very little and left so early. That said, him leaving caused such a stir that it prompted Ralph to come out and insist JRod and Morgan was staying.

So if Chambers's defection stirred Ralph and co into vocal action, did Chambers actually do us a favour? We were all sh*****g ourselves when the exodus was becoming a route.

Notice how Arsenal improved once Chambers was well away from the 1st team?

Yep, another one whose bank balance has improved while his club career has gone backwards. Like Shaw too, briefly in the England team but now replaced by a better player who is playing regularly at SFC

Yep, another one whose bank balance has improved while his club career has gone backwards. Like Shaw too, briefly in the England team but now replaced by a better player who is playing regularly at SFC

Tbf Bertrand was probably always a better player than Shaw, the instability of his situation probably did him no favours with the National set-up, a few games here, a few games there.

Shaw is no great shakes and we did fantastically well to persuade Utd that he is. Then again our football last season was very persuasive, more so than this season I think, just because of it's fluency and spectacular value.

Edited by Window Cleaner

The worst defector of the lot. Learned for 10 years, played 20 games, ****ed off as soon as he could.

Now Arsenal's 3rd choice right back and 5th choice centre half and doesn't make the bench.

Serves the bastard right.

When will they ever learn. Anyway, what is SO wrong with staying at Saints????

The worst defector of the lot. Learned for 10 years, played 20 games, ****ed off as soon as he could.

Now Arsenal's 3rd choice right back and 5th choice centre half and doesn't make the bench.

Couldnt agree more.

Have to agree. AL, for example, gets a lot of stick from fans, but at least he gave us a number of good years, helping us rise from the depths.

Mind you, I doubt CC has many regrets. He may be sitting on the bench, but his bank account is getting fatter and fatter.

Spot on, looks a shocking career move from him and his agent.

I got the impression from subsequent statements that he wasn't pushing to go, the club just could resist receiving 16 million for a second team player. (It might have been wise to resign Clyne before making this decision however.)

I think Saints said at the time that once Arsenal showed interest he made it clear he didn't see his future at Saints

I'm inclined to agree. After years of investment in a player, the club deserves to see a return on that where it really matters – on the pitch. Of course, the counter argument is that the club cuts plenty of players by choice that it's invested in. Still hate it when it happens though.

Spot on, looks a shocking career move from him and his agent.

He was running around Wembley on Saturday with his kit on. Why when he wasn't even on the bench? I suppose it make him feel as if he had earned his wages. Arsenal are so much better at the back without him. Great career move CC.

This was the transfer which annoyed me the most, 1) because at the time it seemed as if we were selling anything that could walk, and 2) because it showed there is simply not an ounce of loyalty in the game.

In hindsight, it was a good move for the club financially, but for Callum, his head was turned by the big lights of London and the offer of $$$. Has he progressed since he's been there? No, if anything he has got backwards quite quickly. It seems as if he's not even seen as a RB, he's seen as a CB for them. So as long as Per and Laurent are fit, and Gabriel is available, he's got a long flaming wait for any sort of a game time.

Give it a year or so and he'll be heading out on loan to a lower half PL team, and we'll still be £16m better off.

This was the transfer which annoyed me the most, 1) because at the time it seemed as if we were selling anything that could walk, and 2) because it showed there is simply not an ounce of loyalty in the game.

In hindsight, it was a good move for the club financially, but for Callum, his head was turned by the big lights of London and the offer of $$$. Has he progressed since he's been there? No, if anything he has got backwards quite quickly. It seems as if he's not even seen as a RB, he's seen as a CB for them. So as long as Per and Laurent are fit, and Gabriel is available, he's got a long flaming wait for any sort of a game time.

Give it a year or so and he'll be heading out on loan to a lower half PL team, and we'll still be £16m better off.

Agree with this.

Also, wasn't it on that U.S. radio interview with Ralph last week or so that he was saying that selling Callum ultimately enabled us to bring in Sadio & Toby?

Agree with this.

Also, wasn't it on that U.S. radio interview with Ralph last week or so that he was saying that selling Callum ultimately enabled us to bring in Sadio & Toby?

More Sadio, I think. It freed up some extra, unexpected cash though. I remember at the time, Koeman was quoted as saying it was a nice ''gift''.

What irked me more was that he was rewarded with an England call up not long after. Classic Woy.

£16 million for a squad player? Good deal for us, left at the first chance he got.. Bellerin is far better than him.

Yeah, that England call up was typicaly Roy. Interesting to see that he's now been demoted back down to U21 now though. Don't even think he's first choice at that level.

I don't know why people get so exercised about players moving to improve their lot. I have followed football and Saints for over 40 years and players, with one or two notable exceptions, have always done this. The idea that they are disloyal is laughable. People in just about any other working environment, especially where they have benefited from their employers' investment, do exactly the same thing. At least in football the employer recieves an amount of compensation.

I don't know why people get so exercised about players moving to improve their lot. I have followed football and Saints for over 40 years and players, with one or two notable exceptions, have always done this. The idea that they are disloyal is laughable. People in just about any other working environment, especially where they have benefited from their employers' investment, do exactly the same thing. At least in football the employer recieves an amount of compensation.

Yes but football isn't the same as other working environments I doubt you have 40,000 fans at your work place. Football fans are passionate about their team which, rightly or wrongly, tends to make them excitable and prone to over reaction. Trying to compare working in football to working in Tesco really doesn't work.

I recently got head hunted for a new job that offered a decent pay rise. I turned it down for my current employer who I believe offer me the best long term career development and job satisfaction.

That's as close as a comparison I can think of for a footballer. If I was playing regularly for a good team and getting international call ups, was settled and happy I wouldn't move for more money and risk my career unless I knew it was right. Maybe Chambers thought he could step up. Why wouldn't he? He's probably been told his whole entire life that he's great. Must be difficult not to believe the hype.

Shame it seems to have wasted his potential. Maybe he'll regain it but I can't see it short term.

I recently got head hunted for a new job that offered a decent pay rise. I turned it down for my current employer who I believe offer me the best long term career development and job satisfaction.

That's as close as a comparison I can think of for a footballer. If I was playing regularly for a good team and getting international call ups, was settled and happy I wouldn't move for more money and risk my career unless I knew it was right. Maybe Chambers thought he could step up. Why wouldn't he? He's probably been told his whole entire life that he's great. Must be difficult not to believe the hype.

Shame it seems to have wasted his potential. Maybe he'll regain it but I can't see it short term.

Was the job offer for double the wages and to a blue chip company?

Hell, I moved clubs for a set of kit once, I'm in no position to judge.

• 2 months later...
He is having a nightmare against Benteke - caulker is miles better then Chambers

The biggest côônt of them all. That's what happens when you get thrown into the side with little or no regular football. The Caulker remark is more debatable.