2nd Best Away Day in the League

Saxon

Turns out we were voted the 2nd best away day in the league by the traveling fans last season!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32975501

Premier League: 1. Hull City 7.79, 2. Southampton 7.23, 3. Stoke City 6.94, 4. Sunderland 6.93, 5. Leicester City 6.84, 6. Arsenal 6.84, 7. Swansea City 6.72, 8. Newcastle United 6.68, 9. WBA 6.63, 10. Manchester City 6.53, 11. Spurs 6.11, 12. Everton 5.80, 13. Burnley 5.76, 14. Aston Villa 5.69, 15. West Ham United 5.58, 16. Chelsea 5.52, 17. Manchester United 5.40, 18. Liverpool 5.32, 19. Crystal Palace 4.94, 20. QPR 3.58

Does this list agree with what people think? (those who managed to make every or most of the way games?)

They were asked to rate transport links, turnstiles, stadium layout, food and drink, view of the pitch and security.

i always judge an away day experience on the turnstiles, stadium layout and the in ground pies. What a load of BS.

What really matters: ease of getting from town centre to stadium and back, train links to the town centre, atmosphere from home fans, ease of getting a beer at half time and number of tickets available.

They were asked to rate transport links, turnstiles, stadium layout, food and drink, view of the pitch and security.

i always judge an away day experience on the turnstiles, stadium layout and the in ground pies. What a load of BS.

Thank goodness Delia's pies will be back on the menu (if not sold out by the time I get to the front of the queue))

I can only assume Sunderland scored so highly because a load of Villa and Palace fans rated them really highly on the back of sticking 4 past them up there. I'd put Sunderland right down near the bottom, the away section is among the worst in the country.

Agree on QPR, although I rather enjoyed the trip to Old Trafford. Apart from the result, the crowd organisation and stewarding were very good. Got to disagree about Hull. My son went this year and vowed never to go again.

Shame Fulham aren't in the Premier League any more as trips there are excellent.

QPR and Palace the two worst? Totally disagree with that.

Wasn't it at the QPR and Crystal Palace games some Saints fans posted pics of their terrible views, with the top of the pitch totally obscured at Selhurst Park and the media box in the way at Loftus Road?

What really matters: ease of getting from town centre to stadium and back, train links to the town centre, atmosphere from home fans, ease of getting a beer at half time and number of tickets available.

I'd add proximity to local amenities (yes I mostly mean pubs) and number of toilets to that list.

QPR would definitely come last if stadium layout is in there, but what about the character of the place as opposed to another St Mary's box-a-like? Plus it's near a huge Westfield which has plenty of pubs and food places.

Wasn't it at the QPR and Crystal Palace games some Saints fans posted pics of their terrible views, with the top of the pitch totally obscured at Selhurst Park and the media box in the way at Loftus Road?

Yup, and "stadium layout" is a fifth of the categories. Tbf there are crappy views in all non-new stadiums, you just hope you don't get one. Bunch of pillars at Palace, too.

Yup, and "stadium layout" is a fifth of the categories. Tbf there are crappy views in all non-new stadiums, you just hope you don't get one. Bunch of pillars at Palace, too.

Everton is far worse than palace and qpr. Perhaps because you're also shunted on the lower tier.

QPR is terrible on pretty much every criteria. At least at Palace you usually get a half-decent atmosphere, even if the prices are pretty steep.

On the criteria they're judging by sure, but i've always had a cracking day out at QPR.

what a sad inditement of our fans and city. Away fans should hate coming here knowing they were in for a hard time on the pitch and an even tougher one off it. They should be more worried about the cauldren of hate that is St Marys rather than the nice pies and comfy seats. Still at least it seems Cortese spent the away fund so managed to do something right.

what a sad inditement of our fans and city. Away fans should hate coming here knowing they were in for a hard time on the pitch and an even tougher one off it. They should be more worried about the cauldren of hate that is St Marys rather than the nice pies and comfy seats. Still at least it seems Cortese spent the away fund so managed to do something right.

Don't forget half our visitors were killed by the Yoof, so they couldn't vote in the poll.

Edited by Lighthouse

Disagree with this pony , who decided on the criteria , a couple of right boring plums ? I don't do every game but do between 8-12 a season and would say any London game is a great day out. I always love Liverpool , but this season Leicester was great. My criteria is; standard of real ale, decent pubs , regular train service.

I'd put Newcastle near the bottom. Away fans are so high up in the clouds that we need binoculars to follow the action

I was up there for the Rugby League last week and had a better view of the Northumbrian countryside than the action on the pitch.

Agree that Stoke is a crap away ground. It's near the bottom of my list.

Worst coffee we've ever had at a football ground.Could smell the phenol (due to repeated boiling and not changing the water) as we lifted the lid off the cup.Ditched it without even sipping that's how crap it was.How Stoke came third is a complete mystery to me and my family.

Stoke is one of my worst away experiences, I have no idea how it came 3rd, there's no pubs or places to eat nearby and it's ****ing freezing!

I would say your experience depends on your method of transport. I've been to Stoke the last two years and think it's a great day out. Get off the train, the police point you to a decent pub, then there are coaches running from the pub to the ground. It's the same in reverse after the game. That said, if I was to drive and park near the ground, there wouldnt be much. I cant see how anyone would be able to get a table at the Harvester and it seemed that was all that was there.