Ferry Service from North Africa to the Med

Batman

There's something wrong with you if you think that people would cling to the underside of a lorry to get across a boarder if they were anything other than desperate.

Even leaving everything and travelling across Africa and right through Europe to get the UK in the way that they are sounds pretty desperate.

If they travel across continents then it's greed, not desperation.

Does it not encourage more to try their luck though? And the more that migrate, the more unsustainable the situation becomes.

I expect the main reason for them being so desperate to leave is what's happening in their home country. Trying to cross the Med in an over-crowded, ****ged out old fishing boat is near suicide even with a few navy boats hanging around.

There's something wrong with you if you think that people would cling to the underside of a lorry to get across a boarder if they were anything other than desperate.

Even leaving everything and travelling across Africa and right through Europe to get the UK in the way that they are sounds pretty desperate.

I'm at a bit of a loss to understand what it is they're fleeing from in France. Torture? Religious persecution? Long benefit queues?

I expect the main reason for them being so desperate to leave is what's happening in their home country. Trying to cross the Med in an over-crowded, ****ged out old fishing boat is near suicide even with a few navy boats hanging around.
My post was in response to the post about the situation at Calais. What is happening to them in France, Spain, Italy that is so desperately bad?

Absolutely. I have no sympathy whatsoever.

So someone is desperate enough to escape their poverty they are willing to cling to the undercarriage of a jumbo jet for 10 hours, they plunge to their death after enduring hours of freezing temperatures an little oxygen and you have no sympathy at all.

Wow! You're a pleasant chap.

So someone is desperate enough to escape their poverty they are willing to cling to the undercarriage of a jumbo jet for 10 hours, they plunge to their death after enduring hours of freezing temperatures an little oxygen and you have no sympathy at all.

Wow! You're a pleasant chap.

Desperate to get to Britain, not desperate to leave their home country. They would have been asphyxiated before the airplane had reached cruising altitude. It's happened many times before.

Pleasant or not, such people have no place in my society.

Desperate to get to Britain, not desperate to leave their home country. They would have been asphyxiated before the airplane had reached cruising altitude. It's happened many times before.

Probably the most selfish thing i've ever read.

Probably the most selfish thing i've ever read.

You just haven't lived long enough. My family could tell you endless stories of poverty and suffering throughout the world, if they were still alive. They didn't create our society so that the rest of the world could benefit from it. There are over 7 billion people in the world. How many of them are you going to put up in your bed, feed in your kitchen?

Dear god - some of you are soulless. This country has a proud tradition of offering help to those escaping persecution, poverty and diseease.

Huguenots, Jews, Irish, Ugandan and Kenyan Asians - we helped them out when they needed help. We're all of us descended from races that came to our country for one reason or another. I bet there's not a pure Briton amongst us.

I can't imagine the desperation these poor people must feel - to risk a treacherous boat trip or a ride in the undercarriage of an aircraft and I hope to goodness I never do.

Dear god - some of you are soulless. This country has a proud tradition of offering help to those escaping persecution, poverty and diseease.

Huguenots, Jews, Irish, Ugandan and Kenyan Asians - we helped them out when they needed help. We're all of us descended from races that came to our country for one reason or another. I bet there's not a pure Briton amongst us.

I can't imagine the desperation these poor people must feel - to risk a treacherous boat trip or a ride in the undercarriage of an aircraft and I hope to goodness I never do.

What about those at Calais?

What if 5m worldwide said they were desperate and wanted to come to this country, what would you say?

You just haven't lived long enough. My family could tell you endless stories of poverty and suffering throughout the world, if they were still alive. They didn't create our society so that the rest of the world could benefit from it. There are over 7 billion people in the world. How many of them are you going to put up in your bed, feed in your kitchen?

Smacks of the mindset of a person who's never had to worry about dying of starvation, of rampant disease or endless war like many of the people trying to get out of these places have. If you swapped Chandlers Ford for Darfur for a few years you'd be begging to come back and I don't begrudge anyone trying to do the same.

If these people are " greedy" as you they sound exactly like your sort of people.

It's typical of people today that they are more concerned with the thought of these people landing in their country than why they are so desperate to leave the lives they have that they risk almost certain death.

If these people are " greedy" as you they sound exactly like your sort of people.

It's typical of people today that they are more concerned with the thought of these people landing in their country than why they are so desperate to leave the lives they have that they risk almost certain death.

But they clearly don't see it as almost certain death. It's a calculated risk to try and live in a better country, where they believe they can make better money and have a good life. I don't blame people for trying to better themselves, but that does not mean we should help them come here.

Pulling up drawbridge? Net immigration was 350k last year :lol:

What? Never.

You mean that hundreds and hundreds of thousands of foreign people can get into Britain every year just by filling in a form and buying a plane ticket?

That can't be right, surely?

Smacks of the mindset of a person who's never had to worry about dying of starvation, of rampant disease or endless war like many of the people trying to get out of these places have. If you swapped Chandlers Ford for Darfur for a few years you'd be begging to come back and I don't begrudge anyone trying to do the same.

How did he get from Darfur to Johannesburg while at the same time dying from starvation and disease? Do you know how far it is?

You're getting a bit mixed up Mikey. I haven't seen a single opinion from anybody on here that would begrudge asylum to a bona fide refugee from Darfur.

That isn't who these people are that are invading Calais, sinking in boats or falling out of the sky.

Here's a genuine question for you. I listened to an interview on the BBC the other day with middle class people rescued from a sinking boat on the way to Greece. Their story was they had fled from Syria to Turkey then paid somebody to smuggle them to Greece. Didn't they stop being refugees when they reached safety of Turkey? Should they be given a free pass into the EU ahead of the people that are going through the proper visa and vetting process?

Edited by hutch

I've lived long enough mate (well done for pulling the age card btw - although if ever a post was to show that ages matters not one jot - it's this one). If you really are the selfish qunt you come across in this thread then you must be seriously unhappy. I pity you, genuinely.

How did he get from Darfur to Johannesburg while at the same time dying from starvation and disease? Do you know how far it is?

You're getting a bit mixed up Mikey. I haven't seen a single opinion from anybody on here that would begrudge asylum to a bona fide refugee from Darfur.

That isn't who these people are that are invading Calais, sinking in boats or falling out of the sky.

Here's a genuine question for you. I listened to an interview on the BBC the other day with middle class people rescued from a sinking boat on the way to Greece. Their story was they had fled from Syria to Turkey then paid somebody to smuggle them to Greece. Didn't they stop being refugees when they reached safety of Turkey? Should they be given a free pass into the EU ahead of the people that are going through the proper visa and vetting process?

Can you link the interview? I'd like to hear that.

Even more shocking: http://www.theguardian.com/world/1999/aug/08/stephenbates.theobserver

I wasn't referring to that specific person, it was a general response to Whiteys post.

There will be opportunists like those people you mentioned but at the same time, who actually cares? As long as they come over to work and end up paying back into the system with their taxes it really doesn't matter to me who comes here. The 'middle-class' people you mentioned will likely have a decent education and will probably fit in fine.

We're a growing nation (12.2 births to every 9.3 deaths) so we should be investing in our public services anyway to ensure that we can cope with the higher population that we will inevitably have through natural progression. That also lends itself to being able to help refugees when they need it.

I wasn't referring to that specific person, it was a general response to Whiteys post.

There will be opportunists like those people you mentioned but at the same time, who actually cares? As long as they come over to work and end up paying back into the system with their taxes it really doesn't matter to me who comes here. The 'middle-class' people you mentioned will likely have a decent education and will probably fit in fine.

We're a growing nation (12.2 births to every 9.3 deaths) so we should be investing in our public services anyway to ensure that we can cope with the higher population that we will inevitably have through natural progression. That also lends itself to being able to help refugees when they need it.

So you'd happily see net migration into the UK of 5m people per year for example?

So your link to Whitey's in your original post is almost as tenuous as your sterling effort to avoid answering my question.

Have you considered a career as a politician?

So you agree there should be limits to immigration. What do you consider sustainable?

We can't have limits as long as we're in the EU.

I'm not bothered by people jumping in the back of trucks or risking their lives crossing the Med in fishing boats because firstly their numbers are a **** in the ocean compared to the amount of people that waltz in from the EU, and secondly, anyone going through those lengths to get here are probably much less likely to want to just sit on their asses and collect benefits compared to someone who just caught a bus from Poland.

We can't have limits as long as we're in the EU.

I'm not bothered by people jumping in the back of trucks or risking their lives crossing the Med in fishing boats because firstly their numbers are a **** in the ocean compared to the amount of people that waltz in from the EU, and secondly, anyone going through those lengths to get here are probably much less likely to want to just sit on their asses and collect benefits compared to someone who just caught a bus from Poland.

We can have limits on non-EU immigration though, and there are still pretty big numbers from non-EU countries. But I agree we are hamstrung by the open borders from the EU.

Bloody Romans - thats who I blame coming over here with their farking edible doormice and snails - barstewards!