Koeman still wants Elia

andoru

I do think he's a bit rubbish but I would take him for a small fee just to add to squad depth. I'd rather spend a small amount on him and a bigger amount on a player that we actually need position wise like a Toby or Morgan replacement than spend massive amounts on a winger when we're covered in that position anyway and then not be able to afford a quality replacement for those two.

I think if we get him for 2-3m its a good option and probably the best we could get for that amount. He has played to a high level and even though he did not play particularly well for a lot of the time he was here he clearly has some talent. Players rarely show their best when on loan...the stability of a contract and being able to get a home is not to be underestimated in the performance of a player.

A potentially worrying report from Holland that Saints are preparing to waste some – albeit less than before – money signing Elia: http://www.football-oranje.com/southampton-and-werder-bremen-negotiating-for-elia/?

(Please merge this thread if there is an existing one it belongs in. Wasn't sure.)

It's only worrying if you're a spoon who doesn't appreciate we could get a player cheaply with good European experience who's had few injury problems and already knows the club.

Koeman knows best.

Ability is clearly there, he's just wildly inconsistent. If Koeman thinks he can get the sort of performance he put in at Newcastle out of him on a more regular basis, and we can get him for very little outlay, then it's probably a deal worth doing. I think the option fee with Werder Bremen was only around €4m anyway, so if we can knock that down again, that's a decent price for someone with his experience IMO.

Like others have said,Koeman knows a bit more than us

Remember he came in January after not playing for a long time,halfway through the season and didnt get a solid run of games to really prove his worth,for 2-3mill he is worth a punt

With a full pre season under his belt and being more settled he could come good. Can't see him being a regular starter but for a small price it's worth it for squad depth.

A decent looking player who seems like he needs to find his feet. He also took 3 corners last season. All 3 were the best we had all season.

It's only worrying if you're a spoon who doesn't appreciate we could get a player cheaply with good European experience who's had few injury problems and already knows the club.

Koeman knows best.

This. Why would anyone worry about spending a small amount on a player who will add a bit of depth to the squad?

I like Elia, a true (inconsistent) wide player.

everyone remembers Newcastle but he had a few other decent games like utd away.

yes, he was very quiet in others but it would be worth a punt if v small fee and full preseason IMO

He showed flashes but I didn't rate him massively over the full duration of his loan. I always had a hunch we'd sign him though.

In some ways he's the definition of "Europa squad filler" you probably need - And King Ronald obviously rates him.

I think if we get him for 2-3m its a good option and probably the best we could get for that amount. He has played to a high level and even though he did not play particularly well for a lot of the time he was here he clearly has some talent. Players rarely show their best when on loan...the stability of a contract and being able to get a home is not to be underestimated in the performance of a player.

Yes, agree with that. I don't work too well in trial periods with companies in my work. There's a pressure to perform when you don't know the systems or best contacts. Over time it gets better. Hoping Elia will get better too and agree €5.5M was probably a bit high for what he returned. €3-4M would be the price tag I would have for him.

We don't need a massive squad for Europe. A few extras yet but it's hardly as if we need an entire second 11 to put out on Thursday nights.

I don't see the point in buying players who aren't good enough. Koeman isn't infallible and I think he is wrong on this one. Elia isn't a consistent player and never has been. I don't think it's worth signing a player for the occasional Newcastle/Old Trafford performance.

Would be a snip at around £2m-3m

We need a massive squad for Europe

Needs a pre season with us and young enough to improve.

Buying 2 - 3m players with an eye on the Europa league is not imo the way forward. Not sure Elia is cut out for the Prem and that being the case no point in buying him

I accept Koeman knows more about football than us. If he wants him, he should try and get him.

This.

I can't recall when we last had a manager I would put as much faith in as RK. Sure they all know more about football than me, but RK seems to be head and shoulders above the rest. Yes I know it is also the scouting network and back room that helps, but it all seems to be working well at the moment.

What's the point in simply saying "Koeman knows best" - pretty much kills 99% of threads on here.

I wouldn't waste any money on Elia, on the basis that we've added Juanmi and Rodriguez, I can't see him even making our matchday squad at times, would rather put that money towards securing Alderweireld.

Who are back up wide forwards though?

Tadic, Long, then youth players. It's not a huge amount, there is room for Elia. If you have european or cup games then resting Rodriguez, Mane and Pelle might be worthwhile and with Tadic, Long, Elia you could do it.

Elia's main problem has been moving all the time. if he wants to stay and has a manager who likes him and a full pre-season with the squad, who knows. He'll always be inconsistent but most are in that position.

There's room for someone else but I don't see why it should be someone so uninspiring as Elia. We struggled to score goals with him in the squad last season, I don't think he is the answer to anything.

I accept Koeman knows more about football than us. If he wants him, he should try and get him.

Agreed. To be fair we also need a bigger squad this year. Elia has also shown in some flashes that he has ability. His consistency has been poor but hopefully he just needs a decent pre season behind him and that should help him adjust to the pace of the English game.

I like him.

What's the point in simply saying "Koeman knows best" - pretty much kills 99% of threads on here.

I wouldn't waste any money on Elia, on the basis that we've added Juanmi and Rodriguez, I can't see him even making our matchday squad at times, would rather put that money towards securing Alderweireld.

I think the point is that Koeman is the manager and the transfer policy is not decided by an internet forum. We can all ***** about players we don't fancy but at the end of the day the manager is the one who calls the shots. I would take his opinion of a player over an internet warrior anyday.

2-3 million, considering what we earned last season and with foreign clubs knowing that premier league clubs can afford to splash a little bit with tv money in a coupl' years, is realistically peanuts. It's championship player money. more than happy for elia to sign for saints and show with a strong pre-season that he's got some qualities, can find his best position and then come next season play a few cup/european/lower league games.

I think the point is that Koeman is the manager and the transfer policy is not decided by an internet forum. We can all ***** about players we don't fancy but at the end of the day the manager is the one who calls the shots. I would take his opinion of a player over an internet warrior anyday.

We've been here before though with Whiskey George and Jermaine Wright. To a lesser extent there was also Strachan and Telfer, although Telfer was at least reliable and consistent.

Koeman is a better manager than either of those two obviously but I think this is a similar situation. If Elia signed and went on to deliver then fair enough but he hasn't done it for the last 4 clubs he has been at. Saying stuff like, 'he's got the talent, Koeman clearly rates him, some people don't see what he offers' etc. is all well and good but try telling that to the team who've just mugged us 1-0 because we couldn't score.

:lol: You're kidding?

Where in our squad / team is there space for him?

With Jay Rod and Juanmi coming in and Djuricic and Elia going out, I think there is room for one more attacking player in our squad. I'm hoping some of the younger players like McQueen, Sims, Hesketh, Seager and Gallagher can come in and make an impact, especially in cup games.

With Jay Rod and Juanmi coming in and Djuricic and Elia going out, I think there is room for one more attacking player in our squad. I'm hoping some of the younger players like McQueen, Sims, Hesketh, Seager and Gallagher can come in and make an impact, especially in cup games.

Well I am assuming that Davis and JWP both will not play in central midfield and we replace Cork and Schneiderlin. That would leave four positions for the following players:

Pelle

Jay Rod

Davis

Ward-Prowse

Tadic

Long

Mane

Juanmi

That is four players missing out each game.

Well I am assuming that Davis and JWP both will not play in central midfield and we replace Cork and Schneiderlin. That would leave four positions for the following players:

Pelle

Jay Rod

Davis

Ward-Prowse

Tadic

Long

Mane

Juanmi

Yeah, I can't see how/where we'd fit another squad player into our attacking line-up. I'd rather see that money invested elsewhere.

I know where you are coming from here Bern but fans that go to matches or even watch on tv do often get the gist of whether a player is any good or not. Sure Koeman knows best but the proof of Elia's worth can be seen in the comparative low fee being asked for him

Pelle

Jay Rod

Davis

Ward-Prowse

Tadic

Long

Mane

Juanmi

I agree, there isn't much room for others but

1 - There are normally a couple of subs used so there are only a couple missing out completely

2 - Out of 8 players, there will more often than not be one or two injured on any given match day

3 - I'd be quite surprised if nobody leaves. If we did bring another in I could see someone like Long or Davis moving on for more regular games.

Did you? Apart from the brace he scored at Newcastle I saw absolutely nothing impressive about him. Would prefer Djuricic to be honest.

I'm the complete opposite. I thought Djuricic was/is a poor mans Gaston. Looks too lightweight for the PL IMHO.

Football is all about opinions of course.

Pelle

Jay Rod

Davis

Ward-Prowse

Tadic

Long

Mane

Juanmi

Don't JWP and Davis play further back sometimes? They should really as they both couldn't hit a barn door last season.

Don't JWP and Davis play further back sometimes? They should really as they both couldn't hit a barn door last season.

They certainly do, and neither are half as effective in that position despite having little end product up the other end of the pitch from open play. We need to replace Cork, and if he leaves, Schneiderlin.

Did you? Apart from the brace he scored at Newcastle I saw absolutely nothing impressive about him. Would prefer Djuricic to be honest.

OK, but the release fee on Djuricic is €12M (£9M) IIRC. Would you pass on Elia but pay the release fee for Djuricic?

And then if we did that and couldn't afford to buy Toby by a few £M because we were out of cash....would that be ok?

I like Djuri and he may be worth the release fee, but getting Elia for €3-4M may be worth it, if it frees up cash to fund the Toby offer.

I know where you are coming from here Bern but fans that go to matches or even watch on tv do often get the gist of whether a player is any good or not. Sure Koeman knows best but the proof of Elia's worth can be seen in the comparative low fee being asked for him

I know we all have our ideas about who is good and who isn't and I know that often doesn't tie in with what the management think. All I can say is that Ron must have seen something in Elia if he wants to sign him, even if it is as a relatively cheap bench warmer.

I know we all have our ideas about who is good and who isn't and I know that often doesn't tie in with what the management think. All I can say is that Ron must have seen something in Elia if he wants to sign him, even if it is as a relatively cheap bench warmer.

Was it not rumoured that Koeman wanted to buy him for whatever the asking price was but the TC turned him down because they didn't think he was worth the price? Left the door open to a move at a far lower (or non-existant) sum though.