Schneiderlin Joins Manchester United (Official)

Bewildered

The player who I think would be good to bring in who would be low up front cost (bit possibly bigger wages) is Lucas Leiva. Very decent player to shield and also keep hold of the ball.

Well as they're looking for a buyer for him anyway perhaps we could get him in part exchange for Clyne. Brendan doesn't rate him at all...probably a decent player then. Liverpool are now running after Illaramendi from Real...well if ou believe the Spanish press that is.

matter of opinion, Clasie is too small for the PL, even his compatriots who post here say so, Gueye may or may not be somewhere around the level of Jack Cork, if he was that great then some "big team" would be signing him up for a knockdown price of 7 million surely.

I'd wager Koeman knows more than you or anyone on this board. So you and those who are like minded can be as negative as you want. The club will continue to progress next year.

Keeps getting injured and isn't that mobile. I wouldn't be keen.

He got injured once last season didn't he? Before that I thought it was just Bodgers didn't rate him? Was excellent when he came into the Liverpool side last season, look at their form with and without him last year.

Until his injury in Feb, 8 wins in 12 when he started. When he didn't start, 3 wins in 11. After that injury was when Liverpool then struggled again...It's not a coincidence, as the same happened in 2011 and 2012.

He got injured once last season didn't he? Before that I thought it was just Bodgers didn't rate him? Was excellent when he came into the Liverpool side last season, look at their form with and without him last year.

Until his injury in Feb, 8 wins in 12 when he started. When he didn't start, 3 wins in 11. After that injury was when Liverpool then struggled again...It's not a coincidence, as the same happened in 2011 and 2012.

I agree Liverpool's form picked up with him in the team but I think that is more to having a proper defensive shield in midfield as much as it is that Lucas is good. I rate Wanyama as much better anyway, and I think there are better options for us out there in the market.

As for his injuries, I don't know if this is true or not but he does seem to be out for long periods:

http://www.transfermarkt.com/lucas-leiva/verletzungen/spieler/41414

That said, so are the likes of Morgan and Toby.

£24m feels light but Man Utd will pay a lot of that up front. And a deal relatively early means we can move onto our replacement targets and / or make use of the money for targets in other positions.

One impact of the Imbula to Porto deal may be that Marseille seek to replace him with Gueye, another reported target.

£24m feels light but Man Utd will pay a lot of that up front. And a deal relatively early means we can move onto our replacement targets and / or make use of the money for targets in other positions.

One impact of the Imbula to Porto deal may be that Marseille seek to replace him with Gueye, another reported target.

how does anyone have any idea how much is paid up front?

how much of the £24m is related to united winning the league, morgan making 100 appearances etc?

just do not know

how does anyone have any idea how much is paid up front?

how much of the £24m is related to united winning the league, morgan making 100 appearances etc?

just do not know

I am not speculating about structure of the deal in terms of add-ons, but more the term in which Man Utd will pay the base transfer fee. They are cash rich and FFP makes it more attractive to them to spend their money rather than hoard it, especially in a year where big wages like Falcao have come off the wage bill. They are an attractive club to sell to as they do not spread their transfer fees out over many years (or rather, historically haven't).

Maybe part of the deal involves us securing a replacement before he departs. Would seem sensible to me. And something he could understand too but then again maybe that's just wishful thinking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know he is going but it struck me as odd that we have included so many pics of him in the gallery from training on the OS:

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/20150629-gallery-saints-report-back-for-pre-season-2511695.aspx

That's just because his rugged Galliciness is so photogenic.....nothing the ladies like more than a bit of Morgan pouting

Maybe part of the deal involves us securing a replacement before he departs. Would seem sensible to me. And something he could understand too but then again maybe that's just wishful thinking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm guessing we need the money from selling him to buy the replacement(s) though.....

As Batman rightly pointed out though, they can afford to make expensive mistakes and many of them. How many Osvaldo or Ramirez type signings can we afford?

Depends how good our other signings are but I would estimate less than one per year.

Several million short is the rumour and they are looking at other defensive midfielders.

As Sky are reporting they have bid 28.6 million for Sergio Ramos I wonder if the Morgan bid, or seriousness of it, will rest on that outcome. If they splash out that much they may well want a cheaper option as a defensive midfielder.

i still wouldn't be surprised to see him at Arsenal, around the 30 August knowing the way Wenger works.

As Sky are reporting they have bid 28.6 million for Sergio Ramos I wonder if the Morgan bid, or seriousness of it, will rest on that outcome. If they splash out that much they may well want a cheaper option as a defensive midfielder.

i still wouldn't be surprised to see him at Arsenal, around the 30 August knowing the way Wenger works.

I genuinely think that Arsenal have moved on.

Don't think Utd are strapped for cash. Surprised they haven't just put the cash down for Morgan already.

Did they start by bidding low for Shaw? I can't remember.

With Clyne on his last year we didn't have much choice but to sell,Morgan has 2 years left I think so that puts us in a much stronger position to demand what we want,of course Utd will come in on the low offer and work from there,but surely they must know after the Shaw deal we will get what we value him at or he doesn't leave

Don't think Utd are strapped for cash. Surprised they haven't just put the cash down for Morgan already.

Did they start by bidding low for Shaw? I can't remember.

oh I'm sure they aren't hard up, it just seems he has never been the first choice that they want at any cost.

He will go, I don't expect any different, I just wonder if there isn't another twist in the story of where he ends up !

Let's not get excited here. I think he's been a good professional and turned up and trained today, just as he should do (quite a few players can take note). But it's clear Utd want him, and £24/25m shouldn't be too much of a stretch for them. I think it's a damn good price as well. It will happen.

Let's not get excited here. I think he's been a good professional and turned up and trained today, just as he should do (quite a few players can take note). But it's clear Utd want him, and £24/25m shouldn't be too much of a stretch for them. I think it's a damn good price as well. It will happen.

I think he's been told that if he conducts himself as a professional, as he should as we're paying his wages for the time being, and some one comes in with a bid that we value him at he can go, so he's just going through the motions until it happens but I love the fact that the club won't bend over for anyone any more, club or players alike.

I think he's been told that if he conducts himself as a professional, as he should as we're paying his wages for the time being, and some one comes in with a bid that we value him at he can go, so he's just going through the motions until it happens but I love the fact that the club won't bend over for anyone any more, club or players alike.

If only our friend Adam could have acted in such a way.

Although to be fair, Lovren did turn up to pre-season. I remember Cork walking behind him and making some sort of joke.

According to Ron, ManUre has not made a "serious" bid for Morgan. I might have missed it but I think neither has Arsenal or any other club. Yet we seem to expect him to go on Wednesday. Does anyone know what the truth is?

I think it seems as if Utd are keen, they have been negotiating to a point. They have seemingly agreed terms with Morgan and his agent, but are yet to negotiate a serious enough bid for us to accept. It should only be a matter of time though.

I'm not going to sit here, biting my tongue and pretend I have nothing to do with Alex - as many of you will know, I do.

I've worked for him as a freelancer, and I've spent time inside M & Y's offices, so I feel as if I can offer up a bit of truth here. He's done me a turn, as someone who is now writing for a few national titles as well as covering matches and doing interviews of a weekend for various outlets alongside my studies - I owe a lot of thanks to him.

In an industry as competitive as journalism, I'm pretty thankful to him for taking a punt on me and putting me in touch with some pretty helpful people that have put me ahead of the competition, at this stage. The same goes for a couple of the guys working at Saints, who've been helpful to me also over the past couple of years, so I like to think I can see it from both sides (especially as a fan of the club) - and try to be a fair judge. It's only fair and balanced that I put that out there, rather than put out a thinly-veiled attempt at defending anyone with my adjudged vested interests.

So basically, I have five points to make.

1) Freelance journalists do not write the headlines

2) Alex Crook is on holiday in Cornwall and did not write the article

3) Daily Star will have requested that article and written their own headline

4) The copy begins with the focus on Schneiderlin 'waiting' - not 'forced to train with the kids' - typically that's where a journalist indicates the 'angle'

5) It's a pretty empty article, and doesn't feature anything particularly 'newsworthy' for us - but it might be of service some of the Daily Star's readership

While Alex didn't send the copy out, it is Alex who has the contacts at the Daily Star and his name is on the email address used to send copy out for nationals to pick up - which is why he'll have his name on it.

It'll have come to exist because the Daily Star requested a 'latest' on Morgan's move to United - and as sport pages go, the Daily Star pay surprisingly well.

In summary, it's a pretty naff article with a sensationalist headline forged for click bait, which doesn't represent the piece with great accuracy - best ignored. It's not helpful, though, I agree.

For what it's worth, Jim Lucas has highlighted on Twitter that his gripe is with the paper, not so much the writer...

Edited by Saint-Armstrong

I'm not going to sit here, biting my tongue and pretend I have nothing to do with Alex - as many of you will know, I do.

I've worked for him as a freelancer, and I've spent time inside M & Y's offices, so I feel as if I can offer up a bit of truth here. He's done me a turn, as someone who is now writing for a few national titles as well as covering matches and doing interviews of a weekend for various outlets alongside my studies - I owe a lot of thanks to him.

In an industry as competitive as journalism, I'm pretty thankful to him for taking a punt on me and putting me in touch with some pretty helpful people that have put me ahead of the competition, at this stage. The same goes for a couple of the guys working at Saints, who've been helpful to me also over the past couple of years, so I like to think I can see it from both sides - and try to be a fair judge. It's only fair and balanced that I put that out there, rather than put out a thinly-veiled attempt at defending anyone with my adjudged vested interests.

So basically, I have five points to make.

1) Freelance journalists do not write the headlines

2) Alex Crook is on holiday in Cornwall and did not write the article

3) Daily Star will have requested that article and written their own headline

4) The copy begins with the focus on Schneiderlin 'waiting' - not 'forced to train with the kids' - typically that's where a journalist indicates the 'angle'

5) It's a pretty empty article, and doesn't feature anything particularly 'newsworthy' for us - but it might be of service some of the Daily Star's readership

While Alex didn't send the copy out, it is Alex who has the contacts at the Daily Star and his name is on the email address used to send copy out for nationals to pick up - which is why he'll have his name on it.

In summary, it's a pretty naff article with a sensationalist headline which doesn't represent the journalists piece with great accuracy - best ignored.

For what it's worth, Jim Lucas has highlighted on Twitter that his gripe is with the paper, not so much the writer...

One assumes Crook will instruct The Daily Star to correct the headline? (He blocked me on Twitter last year because I had the temerity to ask him if he'd challenged the Daily Mirror sub-editor over the "Meltdown" headline attributed to his article, after he said it wasn't the headline he would have chosen....)

Its all very well highlighting that the headlines aren't written by the journos, but if said journos don't challenge inaccurate headlines attributed to their articles then its hardly surprising that people assume they are complicit.

Edited by trousers
@

One assumes Crook will instruct The Daily Star to correct the headline? (He blocked me on Twitter last year when I asked him if he'd challenged the Daily Mirror sub-editor over the "Meltdown" headline attributed to his article, after he said it wasn't the headline he would have chosen....)

Its all very well highlighting that the headlines aren't written by the journos, but if said journos don't challenge inaccurate headlines attributed to their articles then its hardly surprising that people assume they are complicit.

I take your point Trousers.

However, to return serve - as it were - these papers don't 'listen' to freelancers. If a freelancer starts getting a bit too authoritative, or starts whining at them, guess what... they just use someone else. I don't know about finances and people situations, but I'd suggest losing a contract for a top-half Premier League club's coverage (and possibly Bournemouth too, now they're on the radar) in the national sport pages over it probably isn't financially worthwhile for the freelancers - who traditionally have little by way of security.

I do accept that it's pretty naff and should be challenged if possible, though. I totally understand your point in them being 'complicit' too, if absolutely nothing is said.