Should of, could of, would of, might of....

eelpie

Is there some way we could turn this thread around and save it from a premature demise?

What events, signings, disallowed goals etc should of, could of, would of or might of happened in Saints history and where would we be now if they did?

I cannot understand why anybody should ever write 'of' instead of 'have' for goodness's sake. 'Of' has never been and never will be an auxiliary verb. Nobody would ever say 'I of been to the football today' or 'Of you seen my new car?'. Someone once asked my daughter what the rule was for when you say 'of' and when it should be 'have'. She found it very hard to accept that it is never 'of'. :face palm:

I blame the schools. And the teachers. And the parents. And their friends...

I cannot understand why anybody should ever write 'of' instead of 'have' for goodness's sake. 'Of' has never been and never will be an auxiliary verb. Nobody would ever say 'I of been to the football today' or 'Of you seen my new car?'. Someone once asked my daughter what the rule was for when you say 'of' and when it should be 'have'. She found it very hard to accept that it is never 'of'. :face palm:

Yep, should of been taught proper at school!

It comes from e.g. should've which people hear as should of. Anyway:

Rupert Lowe should've appointed better managers following the move to St Mary's. That said, who here would change history? Some of the best moments of my Saints supporting life have been in the last five years, and our Phoenix-like rise.

It's all about the quality of the English teaching at school where English teachers teach the lesson of English to their pupils. Those pupils can effectively use their learning from English lessons in their future lives of writing English, reading English and speaking English. Who knows, some of those children may use their education from the English lessons they experienced to grow up and become English teachers themselves, teaching English to a new generation of young people. We can only hope this generation and future ones grow up understanding things like grammar, basic spelling and the use of capitalisation of English in these English lessons.

For goodness sake, respected contributors, correct English is

should HAVE, could HAVE, would HAVE, might HAVE.....etc.

I am not a pedant, and make lots of grammatical mistakes, but this always grates.

I should, of my many options, have elected not to respond to this thread.

I am not a pedant, and make lots of grammatical mistakes, but this always grates.

I don't understand, can you be more pacific?

It's all about the quality of the English teaching at school where English teachers teach the lesson of English to their pupils. Those pupils can effectively use their learning from English lessons in their future lives of writing English, reading English and speaking English. Who knows, some of those children may use their education from the English lessons they experienced to grow up and become English teachers themselves, teaching English to a new generation of young people. We can only hope this generation and future ones grow up understanding things like grammar, basic spelling and the use of capitalisation of English in these English lessons.

Not to mention hoping they understand the difference in nuance between 'effectively use' and 'use effectively'

I have a term for it: "of thicko". Having said that I gave up trying to change internet thickoes about 5 years ago.

But some are taught the difference between grammar and choices of style. Capitalisation is considered by many to be a question of style. Some will never learn and are doomed to follow slavish principles.

But some are taught the difference between grammar and choices of style. Capitalisation is considered by many to be a question of style. Some will never learn and are doomed to follow slavish principles.

Find me a link to any one of these "many" people or sources who believe the word English should not be capitalised.

I mean, there's "many" so it should be easy.

Find me a link to any one of these "many" people or sources who believe the word English should not be capitalised.

I mean, there's "many" so it should be easy.

I am not in reach of my copy of Fowler's 'Modern English Usage' (1967 edition) at the moment. Much of the discussion on various forms of writing style predate the Internet so finding a link is not as easy as some youngsters might think.

I am not in reach of my copy of Fowler's 'Modern English Usage' (1967 edition) at the moment. Much of the discussion on various forms of writing style predate the Internet so finding a link is not as easy as some youngsters might think.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fowlers-Modern-English-Re-Revised-Edition/dp/0198610211#immersive-view_1436012927489

Here it is on Amazon with a handy image of the front and back cover, the blurb on the back clearly using "English" in the body text. Oh dear.

Come on, "many" you said. Many.

I only want one from you.

You need to get out more - oh and btw what's this got to do with saints?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fowlers-Modern-English-Re-Revised-Edition/dp/0198610211#immersive-view_1436012927489

Here it is on Amazon with a handy image of the front and back cover, the blurb on the back clearly using "English" in the body text. Oh dear.

Come on, "many" you said. Many.

I only want one from you.

That's a title, and it's the 2004 edition. Come on, keep up. :)

That's a title, and it's the 2004 edition. Come on, keep up. :)

What part of me referring to the body text in the blurb of the back cover did you not understand?

Anyway, "many" you said and still nothing.

Anytime you like point me the direction of just one of these "many" that go against the slavish followers like me and say the word English should not be capitalised. There's many so just one little, tiny reference to it must be there somewhere.

What part of me referring to the body text in the blurb of the back cover did you not understand?

Anyway, "many" you said and still nothing.

Anytime you like point me the direction of just one of these "many" that go against the slavish followers like me and say the word English should not be capitalised. There's many so just one little, tiny reference to it must be there somewhere.

Back cover? What 'back cover' (not on my browser, anyway). I never judge a book by its cover, what does this edition have to say on the subject of capitalisation?

http://www.plainenglish.co.uk

http://www.english.ox.ac.uk

Did you click on the links? :eek:

You were supposed to read them :facepalm:

Right. Your links were:

1. The link to the homepage of the faculty of English (their capitals, slavish followers) for Oxford University, so their entire website.

2. The home page of the Plain English (their capitals, slavish followers) campaign, so their entire website.

Which parts of those entire websites will show me some of the "many" that think, like you, that the word "English" should not be capitalised.

Point me in the direction of the "many".

Right. Your links were:

1. The link to the homepage of the faculty of English (their capitals, slavish followers) for Oxford University, so their entire website.

2. The home page of the Plain English (their capitals, slavish followers) campaign, so their entire website.

Which parts of those entire websites will show me some of the "many" that think, like you, that the word "English" should not be capitalised.

Point me in the direction of the "many".

Clue: count the capitals in the links.