The Rather Previous 2016/17 Saints Kit Thread

The9

Norwich :mcinnes:

Based on their UEFA Cup run home shirt from 1993-ish, worst kit in history for their best team - their home and away kits are nice and sensible this season though.

_70533119_norwich4.jpg1808805320.jpgB0YfPvNIIAA2f0Z.jpg

Edited by The9

If I was a Norwich fan I've no doubt I would love that kit, as it represents their most successful ever period.

And it's a third choice kit, for Norwich City who barely need an away kit. It's nothing more than a.n. other bit of club merch, they'll wear it hardly ever.

So really don't understand what all the face-palming on here is about.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Sports direct has it now - and price is below the price from OS Shop : )

http://www.sportsdirect.com/SearchResults?DescriptionFilter=Southampton

As discussed earlier in the thread, it's only 1p cheaper for the shirt if you have the 10% ST discount, but the shorts and socks are a bit cheaper even with the discount. But you're giving the profit to Mike Ashley rather than Saints, so...

I bought the home shirt to keep up my collection......the quality is very good and it's comfortable to wear.

The sizing is completely mad i have to say.

And I'm conscious that it looks like I'm wearing a sports bra.

The shop at the stadium was the quietest I have ever seen.....I enquired during paying what the sales were like this far......'not great at the moment'......'but we hope it will get better with the upcoming home friendlies'

The impression I got was it was not going to be a top seller.

Initially i thought the away shirt looked quite nice,I've got black from before and it is nice but that had red also,........however seeing the players in it I thought it looked so dull.

And boy the black and grey is equally disappointing up close.

We missed a great opportunity.....again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we all know that it looks dreadful, and I think we probably would say that if it was like the fan mock up with the red "bra" rather than white, it would look a lot better. What the club should do, is admit they cocked it up and change the white to red now.

I bought the home shirt to keep up my collection......the quality is very good and it's comfortable to wear.

The shop at the stadium was the quietest I have ever seen.....I enquired during paying what the sales were like this far......'not great at the moment'......'but we hope it will get better with the upcoming home friendlies'

Initially i thought the away shirt looked quite nice,I've got black from before and it is nice but that had red also,........however seeing the players in it I thought it looked so dull.

A missed opportunity indeed, and a complete screw up by the SFC 'teamwear department' assuming that there is such a thing. Getting so much right, and this easy gain so wrong!

Can sales really be compared really when Sports Direct West Quay is stocking the shirt?

I think we all know that it looks dreadful, and I think we probably would say that if it was like the fan mock up with the red "bra" rather than white, it would look a lot better. What the club should do, is admit they cocked it up and change the white to red now.

Lol, and what, give away a few thousand white ones? :D

Lol, and what, give away a few thousand white ones? :D

Yup - of course that is the downside and therefore would never happen. Pride before a fall.

But in all seriousness (as I know they won't change), the mock ups seemed to have a less exaggerated lift in the middle and was a much gentler arch (if that makes sense). That to me is where the problem is.

At least there will be no mistaking with Sunderland or Stoke.

Edited by angelman

Yup - of course that is the downside and therefore would never happen. Pride before a fall.

But in all seriousness (as I know they won't change), the mock ups seemed to have a less exaggerated lift in the middle and was a much gentler arch (if that makes sense). That to me is where the problem is.

Seems to me they (designers) have tried to incorporate the UA logo into the design of the actual kit, and failed miserably. If you just look at the throat to chest section the red v inserted into the round collar with the "arch" just below it isn't a million miles away from their overlapping UA design.

Not "pride before a fall", more "ridiculous financial waste".

It's WAY too late to change the design now, they've already been selling it for two weeks. To change it now would require the club to get a massive new order of kit to be made and delivered within two weeks or they're in breach of Premier League rules, then we'd have to wait months for the new replicas to get made and sent to the club (maybe missing Xmas for most of the stock - I remember the lead times when Cortese messed adidas about with the all-red thing, and the final product wasn't even the same as the adverts - plus when he left he went in January having cancelled the adidas contract, yet Saints were unable to get replacement adidas kit by the following August despite having an existing contract, so lead times are about 6 months).

Besides, I don't like it much, but the kit simply isn't anywhere near bad enough to justify any of that.

Also, the mock ups weren't the design, they were faulty representations of the design. The design uses the same style as a few of last season's kits and the "yoke" was always going to be the shape and size in those. The only mistake was UA showing the red yoke on a designer's screen in the promos which meant people hoped that would be the design.

As I said, I know that it isn't going to be changed.

Three things to add -

1) As I haven't seen it in the flesh, I really ought to reserve judgement until post Watford (as not around for the Spaniards)

2) It's all the rage to bring in a 3rd strip (which of course won't happen, so don't take me to task as not being wholly serious).

3) The club like it, and have chosen it, so that's that. As there seems to be a ridiculous practice of clubs changing shirts every season, I guess we'll have yet another one next season. Surprised that clubs haven't brought in a mid-season change! Maybe the rules say you can't. Maybe when a winter break is brought in, clubs can have a pre and post break strip.

Will there be a third kit if we play Bournemouth? Surely there'll be a clash in the away game at the Vitality?

There was a third kit in 2014/15 season when we played Newcastle away :)

Unfortunately wasn't lucky enough to get hold of that kit :(

Will there be a third kit if we play Bournemouth? Surely there'll be a clash in the away game at the Vitality?

There was a third kit in 2014/15 season when we played Newcastle away :)

Unfortunately wasn't lucky enough to get hold of that kit :(

We will need a third kit for Bournemouth, but as they don't even look like they're selling a plain-back version of the home shirt for the Europa League, I'm not holding my breath for a third kit we can actually buy.

As for the yellow Newcastle away shirt, I'll sell my signed Jose Fonte boxed one with certificate of authenticity... but only for upwards of £750. I need the money at the moment...

And yeah, every team, every kit, every season. Even the halcyon days of having some 2 year kits seem way off now.

The last Saints kit that was INTENDED for two seasons was the last own-brand shirt sponsored by flybe.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFZtZ9x8_KxK3w6ZThP0U1hkc-jBdnZhyjrKb6vvNePAUJCNKIbg

The last shirt actually used in two different seasons was the yellow Umbro from the Championship season

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAnxUcGLNTsKuez1ux2a1sFa9WI1tTGSwmEDeISBliFcusTTnJtg

due to lack of Cortese planning and our stupid all-red home and all-white away Umbro season back in the Premier League, and the last home kit actually used in two successive seasons was the Umbro flybe

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRyWAa3f7DlVDNH7VI9y-5w1xwr_DGpq4nnwIn90_c5rgHCsvhU

which would have been replaced in 2009 had we not been in administration - though this is an assumption on my part based on us not being able to afford to replace the charcoal away shorts and socks with the away kit during the previous season and gradually migrating to red ones!

Edited by The9

Interesting (or not) note, but Sports Direct (both West Quay and Eastleigh) seem to be selling unannounced alternate home socks (white with red hoops/logo/writing) with the red 'home' socks available on the Saints website nowhere to be seen.

We will need a third kit for Bournemouth, but as they don't even look like they're selling a plain-back version of the home shirt for the Europa League, I'm not holding my breath for a third kit we can actually buy.

As for the yellow Newcastle away shirt, I'll sell my signed Jose Fonte boxed one with certificate of authenticity... but only for upwards of £750. I need the money at the moment...

These are rare f'sure. I think only around 60 yellow shirts total were made. If you get interest at that money I would be interested, I have 2 signed by the whole squad and framed !

Interesting (or not) note, but Sports Direct (both West Quay and Eastleigh) seem to be selling unannounced alternate home socks (white with red hoops/logo/writing) with the red 'home' socks available on the Saints website nowhere to be seen.

Interesting enough that I'll be buying a pair when I find them. :)

These are rare f'sure. I think only around 60 yellow shirts total were made. If you get interest at that money I would be interested, I have 2 signed by the whole squad and framed !

I was actually quite annoyed they had signed it "for me", I preferred it without. :D

Ha, you want to see weird? Go to the "home socks" page on the SportsDirect website and mouseover the photo, for which the description is "white" but the main photo is red:

http://www.sportsdirect.com/under-armour-southampton-home-socks-2016-2017-373286?colcode=37328601

Ha, you want to see weird? Go to the "home socks" page on the SportsDirect website and mouseover the photo, for which the description is "white" but the main photo is red:

http://www.sportsdirect.com/under-armour-southampton-home-socks-2016-2017-373286?colcode=37328601

Why have the red socks only got 4 white stripes? Isn't everything done in 5s?? The white ones have 5 red stripes.

Cheers for the heads up by the way, I just laid myself down on the altar of Mike Ashley... also bought the away socks and home shorts while I was at it.

The shorts are weird, I tried on S,M and L and they're VERY slightly different sizes - I got into all of them and the large is only about an inch longer than the small lengthwise - though they are at least a bit different around the waist. :o

Edited by The9