The Alderweireld has signed for Spurs so who should we sign instead thread?

Fairly sure Sven Van Beek would be on our scouting list. Certainly fits the profile.

Looks like Ognonna going to WH or Everton.

Vlaar also hasnt signed for anyone and although I would be hesitant Koeman has been keen before.

Kind of a shame there is nobody good enough who is British, just to redress the balance a little.

Bit premature. Everything I've seen is just re-hash after re-hash. I still think we have a big say.

Quite. Everything Spurs and Atletico are doing is contingent on Atletico being able to completely ignore a pre-existing contractual agreement.

But no harm in looking around for decent CBs.

Who did the top 4 in the (non-English) top 5 leagues in Europe have sat on the bench last season who we can get in on loan? :D

Apparently, yes. Was just trying to think of players we'd been linked with in the past.

Hector Moreno? Think we've been linked with him on a few occasions, left sided too, so would offer a bit of balance. Good player tbf.

Or we could go for Kaboul. :lol:

Liverpool have a Cb who has had a bad first season with them, played well for his previous club. If any could turn him around, Ron could...

I'd have Lovren back for a cut-price £5m in a second. Already proven link with Fonte and a lot less likely to go wandering off to Liverpool the second time around. Better than Yoshida and Gardos.

I'd have Lovren back for a cut-price £5m in a second. Already proven link with Fonte and a lot less likely to go wandering off to Liverpool the second time around. Better than Yoshida and Gardos.

He's more than burnt his bridges here, i'd have to say.

He's more than burnt his bridges here, i'd have to say.

I'd have Lallana back... though only for £5m... too. Might even consider Lambert on a free if we're not planning on signing any other target men.

No problem with us re-signing Arsenal reserve Chambers or Man U reject Shaw for cut-price deals either, we could do with a decent left back (though he'd have to learn to cross). Jack Cork for £5m would be alright too, as long as he didn't mind sitting on the bench. :D

I'd have Lallana back... though only for £5m... too. Might even consider Lambert on a free if we're not planning on signing any other target men.

No problem with us re-signing Arsenal reserve Chambers or Man U reject Shaw for cut-price deals either, we could do with a decent left back (though he'd have to learn to cross). Jack Cork for £5m would be alright too, as long as he didn't mind sitting on the bench. :D

Shall we go for Theo, Bale and Dyer as well?

Hmmm...

Boruc

Clyne Chambers Shaw

Dyer Ox Schniederlin Lallana

Walcott Lambert Bale

Bench: Cork, Lovren, Puncheon ...?

#Whatcouldhavebeen

Edited by Pancake
added more ****

I think Van Dijk is a sensible option - but is he really any different to Gardos? (i.e. fairly young, with some decent experience but who will need serious coaching and development from both the Club and Jose Fonte etc. to adapt to the Premier League)?

I've actually seen him play for Celtic and he is a big, physical presence who is good in the air and good with the ball at his feet. He isn't necessarily quick though (not that Toby was either).

For me they need someone experienced - who has played in a top league for a couple of seasons.

When I state the above, I don't mean Ron Vlaar...

To be fair' date=' I didn't think we stood a chance of a defender who's played in the Champions League final the season before... ;)[/quote']

Hmm, Martins Indi didn't make much of an impression at Porto. In fact, his last year at Feyenoord was not convincing either, I guess that Porto would sell him for a reasonable fee to Southampton but I don't think he's the player Southampton should be looking for. If it comes to Dutch defenders than Stefan de Vrij would be a better choice but Koeman should have taken him wth him last year, now it's too late.

Someone above mentioned Sven van Beek from Feyenoord, a great talent and even better than Stefan de Vrij at his age. But van Beek needs more experience and should stay at Feyenoord for another 2 years at least. I hope he will be playing in the upcoming friendly against Feyenoord (he's injured right now) to see if he's ready for a striker like Pelle.

Edit: I forgot Vlaar, he's the one Koeman should go for!

Edited by van Hanegem

Now I noted from the Ugly Inside..... quoted Toby's agent - his father Vic -

that nothing is definite and no agreement has been made, and that the situation has been unchanged ...for the past few weeks

.. so where are the photos of Toby coming out of White Hart Lane " after his medical "?

....and maybe Daniel Levy was only going on holiday when he flew out of London recently.....and where are Chelsea's rep's if they are so keen to get him ?

All this time-wasting....or shall we simply call it lying from the media...? These " so-called " journalists are no more than gossip-mongers making book at our expense.

Now I noted from the Ugly Inside..... quoted Toby's agent - his father Vic -

that nothing is definite and no agreement has been made, and that the situation has been unchanged ...for the past few weeks

.. so where are the photos of Toby coming out of White Hart Lane " after his medical "?

....and maybe Daniel Levy was only going on holiday when he flew out of London recently.....and where are Chelsea's rep's if they are so keen to get him ?

All this time-wasting....or shall we simply call it lying from the media...? These " so-called " journalists are no more than gossip-mongers making book at our expense.

If the situation's unchanged then he's signing for Saints, as he said he'd like to a few weeks ago.

However, as everything we've heard is no doubt made up, he'll be off to the highest bidder soon (Spurs probably), in which case we should sign Van Dijk

van Dijk for me.

Prototypical Saints signing for me.

Van Dijk is the obvious candidate. Unfortunately though Saints seldom sign the obvious one and will probably pluck someone from a team we've barely heard of (although probably not as obscure as Cuco Martina ).

So...

Moreno, Van Dijk, Martins Indi etc.

Who would be everyone's preference?

I don't think we'll get Martin's Indi, I think he's quite settled at Porto now.

Moreno is a player I like. Good footballer, left sided, not the quickest. He's brave as hell though, I remember a La Liga game where he literately put his head in front of a players foot to block the shot.

I don't think we'll get Martin's Indi, I think he's quite settled at Porto now.

Moreno is a player I like. Good footballer, left sided, not the quickest. He's brave as hell though, I remember a La Liga game where he literately put his head in front of a players foot to block the shot.

Yeah he's a good age too. I'd like to see us bring in a relatively experienced defender with Morgan likely to go as well.

Of course, we could also pluck one out of nowhere like Mane.

So...

Moreno, Van Dijk, Martins Indi etc.

Who would be everyone's preference?

Someone like Dragovic would be exceptional, but probably out of our league

Not that impressed with Martins Indi, plus as Clarkey says he settled at Porto so couldn't see him moving.

Not seen a lot of Moreno, so will have to bow to other peoples superior knowledge on him

Van Dijk would at least fill our one signing a season from Celtic quota!

van Djik is the obvious option, he's set for a move down south, why not go all the way south? :o

I honestly feel he could be as good as, if not better than Tobi was.

If we're beaten to him......I'd consider Ashley Williams as a stop gap for a couple years, he's a rock solid proven EPL defender and also another leader at the back.

And Ron Vlaar still hasn't got a club...

He had a **** season tbf, got the feeling he's better suited in a 3 rather than a flat back 4. Very slow and seemingly has the turning speed of a tanker, not sure he's what Fonte needs next to him.....

The lack of interest, seemingly, from anyone else is quite telling.

He had a **** season tbf, got the feeling he's better suited in a 3 rather than a flat back 4. Very slow and seemingly has the turning speed of a tanker, not sure he's what Fonte needs next to him.....

The lack of interest, seemingly, from anyone else is quite telling.

Indeed. I don't want him but you never know.

Can't say I've seen a great deal of Van Dijk to be honest, hard to fully judge him when he's scoring against Queen of the South. but if he's anything like our recent Celtic acquisitions, then he should be fairly good..!!