Pre Season Tour

Saint Charlie

Couldn't see a thread on this.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/20150707-southampton-arrive-in-austria-2532018.aspx

First match tomorrow for the players who have trained since last week.

No huge suprises in the squad but no Mayuka so he must be close to an exit (wouldnt suprise me if his contract was cancelled like Osvaldo). Gaston has gone, but not sure it means much.

Also good to see which of the U21s are there but basically its all of them that are fit!

Personal opinion: when you see the whole squad listed, there looks to be lots of attacking options, but it gets weaker the further back you move.

Didn't Mayuka say that he had been released at the back end of the season? I'm sure there was a post on his facebook or something, but the club never confirmed. Haven't seen him in pre-season though which is probably telling.

Didn't Mayuka say that he had been released at the back end of the season? I'm sure there was a post on his facebook or something, but the club never confirmed. Haven't seen him in pre-season though which is probably telling.

I remember that mysterious post. Was surprised it wasn't announced in the retained list.

Sure I saw a photo of him arriving for training yesterday. Don't know if he's still injured, perhaps? He got quite a serious injury at the Cup of Nations if I remember rightly.

Oh yeah, true. He had an opp at the back end of the season IIRC. Can't see him hanging around though, £4m down the drain on that one.

Sure I saw a photo of him arriving for training yesterday. Don't know if he's still injured, perhaps? He got quite a serious injury at the Cup of Nations if I remember rightly.

Wasn't he injured for the back end of the season too?

I saw a pic of him yesterday I think. He was injured, torn muscle I think but was back in training end of the season.

I reckon we have just told him he isn't in our plans.

Be interesting to see if Ramirez gets many minutes in pre season.

Also there is going to be a Sharp/De Ridder/Isgrove this season who looks great pre season then can't transfer that into proper matches. I wonder who?

I remember that mysterious post. Was surprised it wasn't announced in the retained list.

The released/retained list is only for players that have contract due to expire on 30th June of that year. Mayuka signed a 5 year deal with Saints in 2012, so his contract ends on 30th June 2017.

Edited by Matthew Le God

5 years. :uhoh:

To be fair, he'd only recently been named Player of the Tournament and won the Golden Boot at the African Cup of Nations, so it seemed a good deal for everyone at the time. Hasn't worked out, but it's not been that much of a waste when you compare it to other transfers we've made a pig's ear of since promotion.

To be fair, he'd only recently been named Player of the Tournament and won the Golden Boot at the African Cup of Nations, so it seemed a good deal for everyone at the time. Hasn't worked out, but it's not been that much of a waste when you compare it to other transfers we've made a pig's ear of since promotion.

I guess it wasn't as disastrous as Forren......

But I guess on the outset at the time it was a good deal, but he's never shown any sort of ability...so I'm not sure what exactly happened to the Mayuka of a few years back. I think Mane is what we hoped Mayuka would be.

31 man squad for Austrian training camp.

Players missing

Forster - knee injury
Bertrand - knee injury
Ward-Prowse - on holiday after Euro under 21's
Targett - on holiday after Euro under 21's
Mayuka - for reasons unknown

Armani Little
Cédric Soares
Cuco Martina
Dominic Gape
Dušan Tadić
Florin Gardos
Gastón Ramírez
Graziano Pellè
Harrison Reed
Jack Stephens
Jake Hesketh
Jason McCarthy
Jay Rodriguez
Jordan Turnbull
José Fonte
Josh Debayo
Juanmi
Kelvin Davis
Lloyd Isgrove
Maarten Stekelenburg
Maya Yoshida
Morgan Schneiderlin
Paulo Gazzaniga
Ryan Seager
Sadio Mané
Sam Gallagher
Sam McQueen
Shane Long
Steven Davis
Victor Wanyama
Will Wood

Koeman said last week that for the Leipzig game those that had internationals in June won't feature. If he sticks by that, it leaves a squad for tomorrow of...

Armani Little
Cuco Martina (only had 2 days training)
Dominic Gape
Dušan Tadić (possibly not fully fit, groin injury)
Gastón Ramírez
Harrison Reed
Jack Stephens
Jake Hesketh
Jason McCarthy
Jay Rodriguez
Jordan Turnbull
Josh Debayo
Juanmi
Kelvin Davis
Lloyd Isgrove
Maarten Stekelenburg
Morgan Schneiderlin (possibly won't play as was "ill" on Monday)
Paulo Gazzaniga
Ryan Seager
Sam Gallagher
Sam McQueen
Will Wood

Edited by Matthew Le God

So I arrived at Salzburg airport at 19:15. They were supposed to arrive at 18:50. They landed at 18:37 and had left in the direction of Bischofshofen. I tried to catch them, but failed.

Does anybody know where they're staying?? It's somewhere close by.

A local team was training on the pitch at Bischofshofen. It really is a small local stadium, but the grass is perfect.

So I arrived at Salzburg airport at 19:15. They were supposed to arrive at 18:50. They landed at 18:37 and had left in the direction of Bischofshofen. I tried to catch them, but failed.

Does anybody know where they're staying?? It's somewhere close by.

A local team was training on the pitch at Bischofshofen. It really is a small local stadium, but the grass is perfect.

They are staying in Werfenwang, this is the view from Erwin Koeman's hotel room window...

CJVkFnqWcAASNON.png:large

Edited by Matthew Le God

The released/retained list is only for players that have contract due to expire on 30th June of that year. Mayuka signed a 5 year deal with Saints in 2012, so his contract ends on 30th June 2017.

I know he's still contracted MLG - I was referring to the mysterious Mayuka tweet that Clarkey mentioned about him being released.

Gaston Ramirez could be a good addition to our attacking options having spent time at Hull you'd hope he had adjusted to Premier League football more and will be well suited to Europa league, along with Mane, Long, Rodriguez, Juanmi , Pelle some good options there. Just a shame we couldn't keep our defensive unit together and such a serious injury to Forster is unfortunate.

Does anyone know much about tonight's opponents? Sounds like it will be an experimental saints side

31 man squad for Austrian training camp.

Morgan Schneiderlin (possibly won't play as was "ill" on Monday)

[/code]

Bless !!! Sorry to hear that super fit Morgan is " Ill "

Hope he has enough strength left to rush to Old Trafford for signing up and getting ready for their Far East Tour

So, given the paucity of available players, our starting 11 today might look something like this?

------------------------- Stekelenburg ------------------------------

Martina ------- Turnbull -------- Stephens ------------ A.Leftback*

------------------------------ Reed ----------------------------------

--------------- Isgrove ------------------ Ramirez -----------------

-------- Juanmi ----------- Gallagher --------- Rodriguez --------

Edit: forgot Martina is a right back, not left back

*Do we have a natural left back in the list of available players? maybe we'll play three CBs instead? (Turnbull, Stephens and McCarthy)

Edited by trousers

So, given the paucity of available players, our starting 11 today might look something like this?

*Do we have a natural left back in the list of available players?

The way that both Koeman and Reed talked about injuries to Bertrand AND Mugabi meant that Martina was signed - as though perhaps he can indeed cover at left back. At least that is how I interpreted it.

*Do we have a natural left back in the list of available players? maybe we'll play three CBs instead? (Turnbull, Stephens and McCarthy)

Maybe not a full time left-back, but Turnbull played a fair bit at left back for Swindon last season.

So looks like Gaston and more importantly Jay-Rod will play tonight.

I think I was the only English person watching training this morning.

Will be good to see Jay, I bet he is absolutely bursting at the bit to get back out there. He's a wonderful player, let's just hope he hasn't been hindered too badly - we will need to be patient with him though, although I know that's pretty impossible on here.

Will be good to see Jay, I bet he is absolutely bursting at the bit to get back out there. He's a wonderful player, let's just hope he hasn't been hindered too badly - we will need to be patient with him though, although I know that's pretty impossible on here.

He's never been one for deft of touch though, I'll be more interested to see how he mentally copes with contact and how fast he really is when he gets that big stride of his going. Les Reed said that Jay Rod has turned into a helluva athlete through his rehabilitation, so all eyes on Jay.

He's never been one for deft of touch though' date=' I'll be more interested to see how he mentally copes with contact and how fast he really is when he gets that big stride of his going. Les Reed said that Jay Rod has turned into a helluva athlete through his rehabilitation, so all eyes on Jay.[/quote']

Jay was a magnificent specimen already. He must be proper fit now.

If he wasn't a northerner he would be perfect.

stfu

Bless !!! Sorry to hear that super fit Morgan is " Ill "

Hope he has enough strength left to rush to Old Trafford for signing up and getting ready for their Far East Tour

stfu

Well, Toby's gone ( because he PREFERRED the Spuds with MoPo. ..........but hopefully we'll get a replacement for £7.50p

But, I expect you think everythings OK at St Mary's though ? ie Les still dreaming of making us a Champions League Team

............... And I expect you still want me to "stfu" ??