The Ashes 2015

jawillwill

3-0 Australia

Rain to save England in two tests.

Aussies batting is still a little brittle imo, and ALOT will depend on how Starc bowls. If Starc brings his A game, it will be no contest.

Rate the non Englishman Stoke, and Root will have to bet very well. Captain Cook seems to have recaptured some form so who knows but imo Broad, Finn and Anderson will have to bowl very very well...

Bell also seems to have been around since the 90's but still quality (mostly) and will need to bat well.

Hopefully the Aussies dont play Siddle ... EVER.

I hope this thread dosnt come back to haunt me... Go Aussies!

Pretty balanced day all told. I'd probably back a draw in this test now.

What a player Joe Root is though.

Given the variable bounce we've already seen on day one, this pitch will be tough to bat on in the fourth innings. Australia need to score big tomorrow and Friday to make the draw a possibility

Given the variable bounce we've already seen on day one, this pitch will be tough to bat on in the fourth innings. Australia need to score big tomorrow and Friday to make the draw a possibility

I didn't think we saw too much variable bounce. The Aussie attack couldn't get a huge amount of life out of the pitch and they're no mugs.

I'd be very surprised to see us take 20 wickets on that pitch in quick time, but we'll have to wait and see.

I didn't think we saw too much variable bounce. The Aussie attack couldn't get a huge amount of life out of the pitch and they're no mugs.

I'd be very surprised to see us take 20 wickets on that pitch in quick time, but we'll have to wait and see.

It's on. Surely we will bowl them out now.?

They need 412 to win

What a bunch of fools. I can't imagine that the Aussies would prepare any pitches that would help the opposition.
I don't think they did, I think they took a defensive position in relation to the series, and asked for a 'dead' pitch. Unfortunately the side batting first would always have the advantage on that sort of surface, and the Aussies were always going to improve on Cardiff. Once they had blown the England bowlers away on the first day it became 'headology', and the England side have reverted to type.

I don't think they did, I think they took a defensive position in relation to the series, and asked for a 'dead' pitch. Unfortunately the side batting first would always have the advantage on that sort of surface, and the Aussies were always going to improve on Cardiff. Once they had blown the England bowlers away on the first day it became 'headology', and the England side have reverted to type.
we need wickets that let the ball move off the pitch. Having a pitch that nullifies our bowlers but help their faster bowlers is madness.

Depressing to see us not standing up to them and now we look a sad bunch.

I can't see us getting our confidence back and the Aussies who were down are now full of confidence for the next test

All the experts are saying the pich has absolutely 'no pace'.

Johnson looked very quick that second innings. Stokes FFs needs his arse kicked but it made no difference.

Lythe. Lol rubbish. Ballance. Looks like he doesn't know which end of the bat to hold. You boys need to replace him. What's trott doing? Lol

Really hard to know what to do from here. Bairstow and Rashid could come in for two of Lyth, Ballance and Bell, but they're not really like for like replacements - we'd lack 'grinders'.

Best I can come up with is Rashid in for Lyth to improve our bowling and to some degree the batting, Moeen opens with Cook, and Root takes over at number three to allow Ballance to drop down the order.

In reality they will probably go for Bairstow as it's the more conventional choice

Really hard to know what to do from here. Bairstow and Rashid could come in for two of Lyth, Ballance and Bell, but they're not really like for like replacements - we'd lack 'grinders'.

Best I can come up with is Rashid in for Lyth to improve our bowling and to some degree the batting, Moeen opens with Cook, and Root takes over at number three to allow Ballance to drop down the order.

In reality they will probably go for Bairstow as it's the more conventional choice

I'd keep Ballance in move Root to 3 and bring in Rashid and Barston in for Bell (avegraging 10) and Lythe if we don't act now we'll be in for another pasting we can keep starting 5 for 30 odd every innings

Edited by simo

• 2 weeks later...
We're never that good at Lords. We'll come back stronger in the next one

Great start this morning. I didn't think we'd see Finn at this level again. Just a shame the rain came when it did, while they were rocking.