Florin Gardos

Danish Saint

I'd get rid of him, very very limited as can't even control the ball with his left foot. Very limited on the ball and not a world-beater in the air.

I'd imagine he's on about £20k a week too.

Horrific injury record. Simply isn't worth the money.

don't think he had a major injury lay-off before - did he ?......I think he recovered pretty quickly to be able to play again in the same season.

don't think he had a major injury lay-off before - did he ?......I think he recovered pretty quickly to be able to play again in the same season.

He was injured when he joined us which probably didn't help. He missed both pre seasons.

Feel for him. He has been injured in all 3 pre seasons since he has been here which is far from ideal.

He signed for us after pre-season in 2014 (14 August). Leverkusen friendly was on 9 August. We played Liverpool on the 17th in the first league match and he was on the bench on the 30th August (West Ham away).

He signed for us after pre-season in 2014 (14 August). Leverkusen friendly was on 9 August. We played Liverpool on the 17th in the first league match and he was on the bench on the 30th August (West Ham away).

He was recovering from an injury when he joined us and hasn't done a full pre season before any of his seasons with us.

http://mobile.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/20160703-florin-gardos-southampton-pre-season-3164292.aspx

He says it himself in the final paragraph here.

I'd get rid of him, very very limited as can't even control the ball with his left foot. Very limited on the ball and not a world-beater in the air.

I'd imagine he's on about £20k a week too.

Horrific injury record. Simply isn't worth the money.

How would you get rid of him?

He's halfway through a 4 year contract. Would you sack him for being injured?

He was recovering from an injury when he joined us and hasn't done a full pre season before any of his seasons with us.

http://mobile.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/20160703-florin-gardos-southampton-pre-season-3164292.aspx

He says it himself in the final paragraph here.

I know, but you said in all 3 pre-seasons since he joined us. This is only his second pre-season since he joined.

As a few people have done, it's possible to take the pessimistic view of Florin's recovery from a bad knee injury, followed by a set-back during recovery and comparison with Killer can make things look black. But the evidence is just as persuasive to the opposite view. We are told that Gardos was close to full recovery and has suffered a set-back, but that it's not serious. Looking at the efforts the club are making are to get him back to fitness seems to suggest that the physios are giving positive reports. He is still a young player in his mid-20s and more likely to overcome an injury than an older player, as Svensson was when he suffered his knee injury. Even Svennson did come back and was still playing at a lower level in Sweden well into his 30s. Time is on Florin's side and as a full international CB, he clearly has the ability to perform at the highest level. Once fit, Saints would be fortunate to have him as one of the four CBs. In the meantime, whilst Yoshi will be the first choice sub, the two younger CBs, Stevens especially, may get an opportunity for some game time, without which they can't be expected to develop the experience for first team action.

It would be great to see a fully fit Gardos in the side at some point this autumn.

I know, but you said in all 3 pre-seasons since he joined us. This is only his second pre-season since he joined.

Ok.

He has been injured every summer before the start of the three seasons he has been at Saints, if that makes you feel better.

We know what to do in these situations, send for Steven Caulker on loan......

A pretty desperate move at the time to get some sort of " CB cover" . He got a shirt number, but didn't add anything to the team's perfomances.

His display against L'pool at SMS in the League Cup game was abysmal to say the least.

• 5 years later...

Just announced his retirement after leaving us returned to Romainia but only played 55 games in 5 years.

Very unlucky at saints, signed obviously as back up at the time and low cost low risk signing. Had a few good games notably when he came on as an early sub for Alderwerld in our 1-0 win away at Old Trafford. Horrendous luck with injuries with sadly saw him become a bit of a figure of fun with some fans. 

• Like 2

Unlucky with injuries, but was never more than a squad player really. He was the Bednarek of the Koeman years quality wise, but we had better quality starting so he didn't really get to play. (that kinda illustrates how far we've gone backwards quality wise imo)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Unlucky with injuries, but was never more than a squad player really. He was the Bednarek of the Koeman years quality wise, but we had better quality starting so he didn't really get to play. (that kinda illustrates how far we've gone backwards quality wise imo)

Yep agree with that. He was lumped in with the likes of Hoedt and Lemina as being a waste of money but in reality his wages would have been low and his transfer fee was only something like £6m. A cheap squad player who Always did a reasonable enough job when he did play, just bad luck with his injuries. 

• Like 1