Florin Gardos

Danish Saint

Limited opportunities. A couple of dodgy moments, but I thought he was one of our best players in the win at Old Trafford. RoKo doesn't seem to rate him but he may get more opportunities this season.

How do you know that?

Just because Fonte, Alderweireld and Yoshida were ahead of him in pecking order that doesn't mean Koeman doesn't think he is a good player. Just that he preferred the others.

Looks an ok squad CB but he isn't good enough as a first choice if we want to retain our position.

The Romanian Journalist who first mentioned the deal last summer said then that he was decent but not quite as good as Chiriches, and he has been a flop at Spurs so Gardos just playing to the level that he is IMO.

Looks an ok squad CB but he isn't good enough as a first choice if we want to retain our position.

The Romanian Journalist who first mentioned the deal last summer said then that he was decent but not quite as good as Chiriches, and he has been a flop at Spurs so Gardos just playing to the level that he is IMO.

Yet we still paid 6million for him.

I rate him, more so than Yosh. He seems to really like the club so if he puts his head down and with a year of PL experience under his belt I seem him being a bigger contributor. A like for like replacement for Toby? No, but I don't think he's as bad as people make him out to be.

Only had 1 poor game as I recall last season. Given a run in the team could well cut the mustard.

he looked as bad a centre back as I have seen away at Sheffield United - I assume that is the game you are referring to?

Whilst i appreciate that all players have bad games/days etc, Gardos V Crystal Palace in the FA cup was one of the worst CB performances I have seen for a few years at St. Mary's. Here's hoping he can step up!

Alan Bennett was the worst ever, also against Crystal Palace.

Gardos was a mixed bag last year, either looked gash or good (United away)

Alan Bennett was the worst ever, also against Crystal Palace.

Gardos was a mixed bag last year, either looked gash or good (United away)

Jesus that was bad, as was his display against Watford that same season.

Chris Perry, Wayne Thomas and then substitute Oliver Lancashire all in first away game in league 1 at Huddersfield come close though.

Jesus that was bad, as was his display against Watford that same season.

Chris Perry, Wayne Thomas and then substitute Oliver Lancashire all in first away game in league 1 at Huddersfield come close though.

That game was depressing defensively. Lambo put us in front iirc, or equalized - one of the 2. If I remember right, that was Rasiak's last game for us too?

But it should have been so more than 3-1. Kind of felt sorry for Lambo after that game, I bet he was wondering what shower he'd joined. We've come a long way though!

That's the one. Was pretty solid at Old Trafford.

I thought Gardos was pretty good against Arsenal as well, in the cup game. Although they didn't exactly have a full strength attack, he defended the area pretty well.

As people have already posted, he was excellent for most of the game at OT after Toby went off (watch those hamstrings and groins Spurs fans) injured early on closing down Di Maria. Was a mixed first season overall but I think he'll benefit considerably from having a full pre season with us. Should get more opportunities with Europa League although clearly Saints will be making at least one signing at CB, fair to say neither Turnbull or Stephens are ready yet although they'll do well on loan at a good NPC club next year.

See someone moaning about not getting Ogbonna but wasn't sure I saw a couple of Juve games, reminded me of a quicker Lovren e.g. will look impressive against bottom half sides with his recoveries but half of it is that his positioning gets him in trouble in the first place. Won't get that luxury in other games just as Lovren got exposed at times for us against better sides and certainly last season when facing Man U etc for Liverpool.

Remember Alderweireld's injury at Old Trafford? Who replaced him and then helped us keep a clean sheet.bthat takes balls.

Looks very good in training. I think he'll step up this season if given the chance. Not all players hit the ground running. Look at Lovren for Liverpool.

As people have already posted, he was excellent for most of the game at OT after Toby went off (watch those hamstrings and groins Spurs fans) injured early on closing down Di Maria. Was a mixed first season overall but I think he'll benefit considerably from having a full pre season with us. Should get more opportunities with Europa League although clearly Saints will be making at least one signing at CB, fair to say neither Turnbull or Stephens are ready yet although they'll do well on loan at a good NPC club next year.

See someone moaning about not getting Ogbonna but wasn't sure I saw a couple of Juve games, reminded me of a quicker Lovren e.g. will look impressive against bottom half sides with his recoveries but half of it is that his positioning gets him in trouble in the first place. Won't get that luxury in other games just as Lovren got exposed at times for us against better sides and certainly last season when facing Man U etc for Liverpool.

Don't know why, but actually I think one (or both) of them will be a regular part of the matchday squad for the forthcoming season. Much like Harry Reed was last year (not that many appearances but plenty of involvement).

Don't know why, but actually I think one (or both) of them will be a regular part of the matchday squad for the forthcoming season. Much like Harry Reed was last year (not that many appearances but plenty of involvement).

Colleague of mine is a Swindon fan and although he rates both players very highly, CB is a position players mature into at PL level and he think Saints will probably loan them out to an NPC side and that they'll be more in contention 16/17. Could be wrong of course and great that we have prospects like this. Turnbull is the more versatile of the two, Stephens likes to really bring the ball out from the back and get forward which suits Saints style of play, hence Swindon was a good destination. Turnbull is also recognised as comfortable on the ball.

• 1 year later...
Florin is going to have a big role for us this year. You mark my words.

Guess that depends if he plays or not. Noted that he doesn't appear in any of the training pictures/videos (as far as I can see) taken since the club returned from the USA. No news why he didn't travel, and yet he was back in full training before the end of last season. So what has happened? he is a nice guy so hope he comes back, but personally think we have decent back up for him anyway in Stephens and Turnbull.

How do you rate him now in terms of being the next CB to shine next to Fonte?

Could he become the unsong hero or is he simply not good enough to be first choice CB?

I tried writing that a few months ago....but he's not first choice, (not at present anyway).. and certainly not the " wreck " that some on here suggested.

It's really difficult to judge, as in his first season, he couldn't get ahead of Alderweireld, and was injured pre-season last summer when Virgil was clearly so good anyway.

If he fits the bill for Puel.... we may see more of him in some of the Cup competitions, and hopefully available in case of injuries in the back line.

Very odd there has been no sightings of Gardos in training photos and video plus he hasn't tweeted since arriving back in Southampton for start of preseason. Local journo's not heard anything either. Can only think he's suffered another injury. Feel for the lad if so. I really rate him. I think him and VVD could be long term partnership.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Very odd there has been no sightings of Gardos in training photos and video plus he hasn't tweeted since arriving back in Southampton for start of preseason. Local journo's not heard anything either. Can only think he's suffered another injury. Feel for the lad if so. I really rate him. I think him and VVD could be long term partnership.

seems a bit like when rodriguez went off the radar.

Think there is a little bit of a waiting game before he starts tweeting again and seen in the pics or an announcement saying he will be out for a number of months

Leaves us light unless they feel Stephens or Turnbull can be the 4th CB but equally they might want those guys out on loan getting regular games.

Stephens would be useful to keep around as can play RB and midfield too.

I'm not sure if he'll ever be good enough on the ball to really ever make an impact here. More of an "if in doubt, get it out" type of defender which doesn't really tally with how we want to play.

I wish. He's a "I think too slowly to pass it and get caught in possession" type of defender. Kicking it out is his best case scenario. Which is a shame because he's good in the air and decent at marking. But he just takes too long when he has the ball, which makes him not suited to our type of game... or at least not suited to any of the ways we've played since he's been with us.

Every time i've seen Gardos play, which I think has been every game he's played in, he's looked hopeless. Need to get better in.

you'll get people asking you if you've actually ever seen him play for posting stuff like that.:rolleyes: Some just seem to refuse to accept that some players aren't destined for great careers at Saints and will be moved on because they are of little or no use to us and cost a lot of money for very little contribution...

Every time i've seen Gardos play, which I think has been every game he's played in, he's looked hopeless. Need to get better in.

Bull crap. Played well at OT in win and at home to Chelsea. Admittedly poor in cup games against Sheffield Utd and home to ipswich but so was whole team.

I'd get rid of him, very very limited as can't even control the ball with his left foot. Very limited on the ball and not a world-beater in the air.

I'd imagine he's on about £20k a week too.

Horrific injury record. Simply isn't worth the money.