Saints £20m+ rated players

StratfordSaint

Feeling gutted about Morgan, but to be honest it was expected. The last 2 seasons we have sold big players for big fees, so it does help the clubs finance and re-building.

But who are the short and medium term £20m+ players we have left, assuming we ARE a selling club (as recent history shows we are)? Don't get me wrong I want to keep these players! But if we have tp sell players we want big fees.

I can see Victor commanding a £20m+ fee in the next season or two. Not sure who else - maybe the crown jewels have all been sold now?

This is not meant to be anything other than a discussion on the worth and potential worth of current saints players.

Neither will be sold for anything like £20m (in my opinion). I don't think we will see another 20m player leaving us for a while.

Wasn't long ago that people where saying the same about Morgan et al. If we paid over £10M for Mane and he has another good season, how much to you expect the club to sell him for?

Mané and Wanyama are probably our most saleable assets, although unfortunately they are the same person, according to that commentator.

Our next big thing other than that will probably come from the academy as we seem to be making a shift in transfer policy towards cheaper options. I don't think it will be JWP. I know he is young but he's been in the first team 3 years now and not made that superstar impact that Bale, Walcott, AOC and Shaw did. Who knows he could be another slow burner like Lallana and be big time eventually.

Feeling gutted about Morgan, but to be honest it was expected. The last 2 seasons we have sold big players for big fees, so it does help the clubs finance and re-building.

But who are the short and medium term £20m+ players we have left, assuming we ARE a selling club (as recent history shows we are)? Don't get me wrong I want to keep these players! But if we have tp sell players we want big fees.

I can see Victor commanding a £20m+ fee in the next season or two. Not sure who else - maybe the crown jewels have all been sold now?

This is not meant to be anything other than a discussion on the worth and potential worth of current saints players.

Victor depends on the season he has this time round, Mane i think could easy go for 20m +, JWP easy 20m, JRod 20m + ( English players demand a higher fee as we all know ) Target 20m in a year or two, Reed easy 20m that lad has huge potential, Hesketh 15m, Seager 20 m in a season or two depending on apps for first team / his development going how every one expects it to go, the one player that most stands out as a future big transfer fee is Slattery, i really do think he will follow in the foot steps of Bale in that he will be a big big player as he matures and develops, lad has HUGE potential i think around 30m + for him in a few years

But i do agree, the crown jewels have all been sold once Morgan completes his United transfer, but we have more coming :)

This is all my own opinion, not all will agree mind.

Victor depends on the season he has this time round, Mane i think could easy go for 20m +, JWP easy 20m, JRod 20m + ( English players demand a higher fee as we all know ) Target 20m in a year or two, Reed easy 20m that lad has huge potential, Hesketh 15m, Seager 20 m in a season or two depending on apps for first team / his development going how every one expects it to go, the one player that most stands out as a future big transfer fee is Slattery, i really do think he will follow in the foot steps of Bale in that he will be a big big player as he matures and develops, lad has HUGE potential i think around 30m + for him in a few years

But i do agree, the crown jewels have all been sold once Morgan completes his United transfer, but we have more coming :)

This is all my own opinion, not all will agree mind.

Out of interest are you talking £s or Greek Drachma. :lol:

From Martin Samuels in the Mail:-

Southampton are considering legal action after losing Toby Alderweireld to Tottenham.

They claim the terms in his loan deal enabled them to sign him for £6.8m this summer, and the clause allowing Atletico Madrid to sell him for more elsewhere had expired. If true, FIFA might recommend some small compensation.

Yet Tottenham’s haughtiness in pushing ahead with the deal merely underlined the loss of prestige that comes with being a selling club. Southampton may have thrived against the odds despite losing five first-team players last summer, but it harmed their status.

This transfer window opened with Nathaniel Clyne’s move to Liverpool, and with Morgan Schneiderlin set for a £25m transfer to Manchester United, rivals will continue to see Southampton as ripe for plunder., rivals will continue to see Southampton as ripe for plunder. Tottenham took a liberty because they saw Southampton as weak.

The thing we don't give players is time. When you consider how Lallana and MS evolved it was over 4 seasons.

JWP will be the next big player.

Wanyama is arguably a better player than Morgan. I think his price tag is in excess of 20 million.

McCarthy is so motivated that he can make it this season, but he needs to learn fast and he isn't the fastest.

Jake Stephens could also step up. He looks very good on the ball.

The thing we don't give players is time. When you consider how Lallana and MS evolved it was over 4 seasons.

JWP will be the next big player.

Wanyama is arguably a better player than Morgan. I think his price tag is in excess of 20 million.

McCarthy is so motivated that he can make it this season, but he needs to learn fast and he isn't the fastest.

Jake Stephens could also step up. He looks very good on the ball.

Who haven't we given time to?

Mane is easily a 20m player in todays market, not least for his goal return playing in an attacking midfield type role.

With his age and potential and the fact he cost us about 12m before playing in a top league, I reckon if he does well this season then Saints could easily charge £25m.

Beyond him and Wanyama then probably nobody else at the moment.

Mane will easily command £25-30m in the market if he kicks on next season. Attacking players with pace/goal scorrers are always a premium. He could even end up becoming our highest recieved fee.

Wanyama will easily bring in more than £20m if we sell him. If Jay kicks on, so will he.

But our club is all about growing players, there are players who you may not think are worth much, but progress a hell of a lot over the next few years. It's also harsh to say we're a selling club. If one of the biggest clubs around comes for any of our players, they will go. We're not activley looking to sell anyone.

Out of interest are you talking £s or Greek Drachma. :lol:

£'s, as i said, people may not agree with my prices, but i think the fees i put are realistic on todays market. only one slightly off is Jrod as he has been out for a year, but if he comes back as good as he left he should reach 20m.

Hard to value young players as most of the value comes from potential, But young English players do command a bigger fee.

From Martin Samuels in the Mail:-

Southampton are considering legal action after losing Toby Alderweireld to Tottenham.

They claim the terms in his loan deal enabled them to sign him for £6.8m this summer, and the clause allowing Atletico Madrid to sell him for more elsewhere had expired. If true, FIFA might recommend some small compensation.

Yet Tottenham’s haughtiness in pushing ahead with the deal merely underlined the loss of prestige that comes with being a selling club. Southampton may have thrived against the odds despite losing five first-team players last summer, but it harmed their status.

This transfer window opened with Nathaniel Clyne’s move to Liverpool, and with Morgan Schneiderlin set for a £25m transfer to Manchester United, rivals will continue to see Southampton as ripe for plunder., rivals will continue to see Southampton as ripe for plunder. Tottenham took a liberty because they saw Southampton as weak.

Can't disagree with that.

Mane is easily a 20m player in todays market, not least for his goal return playing in an attacking midfield type role.

With his age and potential and the fact he cost us about 12m before playing in a top league, I reckon if he does well this season then Saints could easily charge £25m.

Beyond him and Wanyama then probably nobody else at the moment.

Rodriguez if he can perform to his pre-injury levels as well.

We didn't try to get Clyne to sign a new contract then?

We didn't force Morgan to stay for another season after he clearly wanted out?

I agree. Just cant remember a club selling their top players every season.

lets say we lost 2 from Mane, Vic and Jrod next year. that would be 8+ top players sold in 3 seasons.

Just cant think of a single club that does that.

lets say we lost 2 from Mane, Vic and Jrod next year. that would be 8+ top players sold in 3 seasons.

A Madrid do it every year and have been for a very very long time :D just thought i would say

I do think that players out will calm down in the next few years. As my original post hinted at, I think our crown jewels have already gone, and we are now left with a GOOD squad with GOOD players, but not high net worth ones. Which means big six EPL teams won't be salivating over Saints anymore.

I do think that players out will calm down in the next few years. As my original post hinted at, I think our crown jewels have already gone, and we are now left with a GOOD squad with GOOD players, but not high net worth ones. Which means big six EPL teams won't be salivating over Saints anymore.

Thus the likelihood of us actually finishing in the top six will diminish.

Which clubs below us have got players as good as Morgan, Clyne, Lallana etc. and hung on to them?

A Madrid do it every year and have been for a very very long time :D just thought i would say

Historically, British clubs have been the exception rather than the rule, I suppose because for a (relatively) long time, there was a degree of scepticism about whether foreign players could hack it in our league. Clubs like Porto, A Madrid, Lyon, Hoffenheim and a bunch of others have been bringing in low-profile South Americans (like Firmino) for years in the expectation that if they're any good they'll be sold on for a massive profit. It's only an unsustainable model if a) you're particularly wedded to recruiting new players from your home country, b) your scouting isn't up to scratch, and c) you aren't prepared to accept that there will be a couple of duds for every gem uncovered.

Maybe, but top 8 is our most likely level, higher than that will be exceptional and extremely hard to achieve (but something we can and should still aspire to). I'm happy! I won't cry if we don't break into the top 6. I've loved the progress we've made the past 5 years, I just want to cement our place in top 8 for next few years then see where the next 5 year plan takes us.

Cedric, Forster, J-Rod, Vic, Juanmi, Mane, Bertrand could all be crown jewels by the end of the next season and then there is potentially Clasie and the new CB. Our major worry is not losing players but the biggest jewel of them all, Ronald Koeman in two years time.

There is nothing wrong in being England's Atletico Madrid - it is a model that works. Didn't like the Martin Samuels article - another little dig at the current regime. Don't see that we were weak - what else can we do? Bet he doesn't regard Liverpool as weak.

If we're talking about Saints and £20M rated players, the external environment has an important factor to play. With new TV revenue and with new benchmarks being set all the time (sterling), we can reasonably assume thay any of our players will attract a £20M + fee if they go to a bigger club, nuances of their contract situation a side. It also means that our abiility to attract lower value, high potential players is impacted but it all becomes relative.

Cedric, Forster, J-Rod, Vic, Juanmi, Mane, Bertrand could all be crown jewels by the end of the next season and then there is potentially Clasie and the new CB. Our major worry is not losing players but the biggest jewel of them all, Ronald Koeman in two years time.

There is nothing wrong in being England's Atletico Madrid - it is a model that works. Didn't like the Martin Samuels article - another little dig at the current regime. Don't see that we were weak - what else can we do? Bet he doesn't regard Liverpool as weak.

Agree about that pitiful article. He's been proven astronomically wrong in his predictions and assumptions and is now digging himself into an even deeper hole.

EVERY club in this country is a selling club, the good ones make sure they sell for very big fees and we are certainly in that bracket. We've sold our best player for £27 million, and Stoke have sold theirs for £7 million. That right there is one of the biggest reasons we are the "best of the rest"

I see all this talk of Koeman being the big gem.

Let's keep calm. It was a really good first season, but there were signs of the team (and some of his main signings) running out of ideas and underperforming towards the end. I think our good start was more due to us surprising opponents because no one really knew what to expect from us, but the second half of the season I found that we rarely broke teams apart (the exceptions are the occasional demolitions like that of Villa). This is also the manager's fault. The second season will tell us more about him than what we think.

Borussia Dortmund?

Neither will be sold for anything like £20m (in my opinion). I don't think we will see another 20m player leaving us for a while.

well not until next summer, anyway. If Victor continues to improve and Saints don't, he'll certainly be in the same price bracket by then....stay or not.

If Mane is a bit more consistent this season he will get into double figures for goals and assists. I could quite easily see him go for £20-25 million next summer

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

7 in 11, how many we sold in the same time?

Can't disagree with that.

I can

Each club has their own place in the football hierarchy

Celtic and Feyenoord are big clubs in their own right but we have the financial clout to attract their players

Spurs sold Bale and would sell Harry Kane if a bigger club came knocking just as Liverpool had to sell Suarez and Sterling

That's the key difference isn't it?

7 in 11, how many we sold in the same time?

Walcott, Bale, AOC, 5 last summer and 2 this, so 10 players. I wont include the likes of Jones and Surman who we'd have kept if we'd been in the Premier League and financially stable.

More to the point, who have Everton kept in the same class as those players, or the ones we have sold?

Totally agree with this. Samuel article doesn't do anything but rubbish us. We have got top dollar for players and progresses. Toby was tapped up by 3 Belgians in the Spurs squad abd ultimately didn't want to come back. With RK in charge I am confident that next season will be as exciting as last.