CONFIRMED - Virgil Van Dijk joins on Five Year Deal

Brizzie Saints

Soggy, is your rant really necessary when it is only alpine chuntering. Which he does most weeks?

It wasn't a rant, more of a oh dear why are we going through this nonsense again post. Everyone knows we need one or two more centre halves in this summer. The club have said we are looking. Maybe we are looking at the Celtic guy, maybe not. Just because Everton are being linked in the press (the link being that if they sell Stones they too will be looking for a replacement but no one at Everton has mentioned van Dijk and because they have not said they have ruled him out this means that they are definitely in for him?). There is still plenty of time. We know that Les doesn't shout his mouth off about targets so lets just wait and see who turns up. Then we can slag him off and say what a waste of money his is ;)

If he is our number 1 target then I'm sure we'll be doing everything we can to to sign him up. The club will have their targets and it's blindingly obvious that a centre back is their priotity, but for a club like us to get top quality players when competing with bigger clubs is a big ask. I trust Les Reed to pull something out the bag.

Basically I've covered our CB signings over the last four seasons, plus Fonte. All did outstanding jobs for us.

Where's your "always this clubs f*c king blind spot" theory come from? Once you've finished your Twix, do tell.

Like he usually does, he misses things, like Vegard Forren. I wouldn't hazard a guess why he failed to mention him, there are too many reasons to choose from.

Basically I've covered our CB signings over the last four seasons, plus Fonte. All did outstanding jobs for us.

Where's your "always this clubs f*c king blind spot" theory come from? Once you've finished your Twix, do tell.

Although Lovren was a mercenary, we bought him for c£8m, got a decent season out of him overall and then sold him to Brenda for £20m. Nice bit of business if you can do it. Toby was a loan that was very successful and cost Saints comparatively little in the end. Shame he went to Spurs but although I liked Toby, with his injury record last term we'd have had to buy/loan another CB with Gardos's injury anyway. Jos scored quite a few decisive goals in the NPC to play a key role in our promotion, obviously a liability in the PL but had some reasonable games (e.g. City home) in the first season back. Gardos showed promise last year, ACLs aren't something you can factor for and certainly not a 'blind spot' as suggested elsewhere.

Based on the above, I think we can all trust the club to get the two CB purchases/loans required right.

I think we do need to move fast on this position, hopefully at least one will be signed this week, which won't be VVD as Celtic are still in CL qualifiers. If a scenerio of Fonte or Yoshida getting an injury in training or the match on Thursday happens we are really, really short in the CB position.

I meant in the prem.

fair enough but I don't see why we should limit it to the prem to show Alpine is a tit. We've signed decent centre backs for our level ever since the take over Radhi Jaïdi and Jose were a great signings when we were in league one (hell even Aaron Martian was a decent league one CB). Jos was a great signing in the championship and Lovern and Toby were great signings in the PL CBs really haven't been an issue the last few seasons.

Edited by doddisalegend

I think we do need to move fast on this position, hopefully at least one will be signed this week, which won't be VVD as Celtic are still in CL qualifiers. If a scenerio of Fonte or Yoshida getting an injury in training or the match on Thursday happens we are really, really short in the CB position.

Yes, tend to agree with this, although I'm not as dismissive as Koeman over Turnbull and Stephens. As he isn't keen to have them on the bench, it is likely we will have someone in this week. Me thinks. :)

Anyone else seen this? Virgil favourited a tweet which was a transfer rumour about him going to everton:

http://www.goal.com/id-ID/news/784/transfer-pemain/2015/07/27/13918022/roberto-martinez-isyaratkan-kejar-virgil-van-dijk?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

bit weird.

(source = https://twitter.com/VirgilvDijk/favorites)

So maybe he is off to Everton? I would have thought if saints were really interested we would have heard more noise in the press but other than a few tenuous gossip articles in the papers there hasn't been much noise about us wanting VVD.

Yes, tend to agree with this, although I'm not as dismissive as Koeman over Turnbull and Stephens. As he isn't keen to have them on the bench, it is likely we will have someone in this week. Me thinks. :)

You dont trust Koemans judgement on central defenders ? wow.

I saw Stephens and Turnbull in Bischofshofen and dont see it - yet..

We need a CB good enough to go straight into the first XI.

We all know this. Yoshida is a brilliant third choice to have, but not a first choice CB all season. A top CB needed.

If there's anybody who does know what makes a good central defender, it's likely to be Koeman, who wasn't bad in that role himself.

It might be why we haven't gone eyeballs out for van Dyke.

The videos of VVD bursting forward from defense into the opposition penalty area make me think... I don't want a central defender with so little defensive discipline. David Luiz anyone? Leaving who to fill in at centre-back? Jordy Clasie???

The videos of VVD bursting forward from defense into the opposition penalty area make me think... I don't want a central defender with so little defensive discipline. David Luiz anyone?

He does it because its effective.

Leaving who to fill in at centre-back? Jordy Clasie???

Victor Wanyama?

He does it because its effective.

Victor Wanyama?

Leaving who to fill in Wanyama's place in defensive midfield?

A centre-back should stay in the centre at the back, unless spreading wide to receive the ball from the goalkeeper.

I have a mate who works for Celtic FC and I sounded him out about VvD. I have pasted his response below, so make of it what you will. It includes information we already know but I think it gives a good overview of the player from someone who watches him play week in week out..

"So it looks like you guys or Everton might get VvD. Up here, he has been a revelation for us. Very talented and comfortable on the ball and is a real asset going forward in so many different ways. Celtic play with our fullbacks high and basically means our formation with the ball is 2-4-4. VvD had a great season for us last year because he had a great understanding with Denayer who did the defensive stuff well allowing him to break forward.

In terms of his weaknesses...the big problem is that he is rarely tested by strikers in the Scottish league. We've saw him caught out a few times in Europe by better players. It's not the physical side of things, really, it is intelligent strikers with good movement who catch him out and he'll need an experienced centre half to keep him right in the prem Watch him against Icardi - the big man struggled.

The big benefit is that under Koeman, he'll only get better and there is lots still to come from him, I'm 100% sure of that."

So again, nothing we may not have gleaned already from this thread and elsewhere - but I thought I would share the information here anyway.

Based on the above, it sounds like Fonte would be a good experienced CB partner that would allow him to maraud forward. Perhaps not dissimilar to Lovren's (****) stlye when he was at his peak for us.

He also seems to have an eye for goal having scored 7 goals in 62 apps for Groningen and 9 goals in 71 apps for Celtic (Wikipedia stats). You could argue that you would expect him to get on the score sheet a few times a season when you're guaranteed the title and win comfortably most weeks for Celtic but that wouldn't have been the case for Groningen.

As others have pointed out in this thread - we have the Koeman factor, which can't be overstated! The fact that our manager is one of the greatest ever CBs and a Dutch legend has to be a huge draw for VvD. We also have our growing Dutch contingent at the club with Erwin K and Jan K in the coaching staff as well as Stek, Martina and Jordy (who he played Dutch U21s with). He knows Tadic (they played together at Groningen) and Pelle well from the Eredivisie too so that all goes in our favour I would say.

Get him over the line, Les!

Leaving who to fill in Wanyama's place in defensive midfield?

van Dijk has just moved into midfield in your scenario, Saints would be on the attack at this point.

A centre-back should stay in the centre at the back, unless spreading wide to receive the ball from the goalkeeper.

Why so rigid with the tactics? This didn't apply to Ronald Koeman when he played as a centre back, he often liked to break forward in open play.

Edited by Matthew Le God

He said they're not ready or along those lines but he never said that about McCarthy... I know he is younger than them but you never know he could see him as progressing faster than those two, or he could see none of them as ready in which case I wouldn't be surprise to see us get a CB, probably on loan within the next few days.

Edited by Saint IQ

The videos of VVD bursting forward from defense into the opposition penalty area make me think... I don't want a central defender with so little defensive discipline. David Luiz anyone? Leaving who to fill in at centre-back? Jordy Clasie???

It's fine if the individual is actually half decent at defending, which David Luiz just isn't anymore. Pushing up the pitch isn't necessarily a sign that they are poor defensively. With clyne and bertrand it was a sign that they work incredibly hard and have the energy to run back as well, though granted it's different for a fullback.

I think it's fine, can't really draw any meaningful conclusions about his skill from it. If he;s able to push up the pitch and help out a little bit there, as well as having the legs to run back and make the tackles/interceptions, that'll do just fine for me

if you like.. I simply dont think its happening fast enough.

I think there'll be plenty going on behind the scenes. Just because there's nothing in the press it doesn't mean there's nothing happening. The Toby signing was kept very quiet last season. Nobody really knew who Gardos was when we signed him. Our scouting network is huge and I wouldn't be at all surprised if we end up with someone whose name hasn't even been mentioned on here. Oh, and Ron Vlaar around Christmas.

this is where we will lose out to everton.

Les reed will make a statement to the echo about how celtic led us up the garden path, VvD gave all the signs that he wanted to come here but then changed his mind at the last minute.

we will be reminded that we do not do any transfers in the media and that we buy the right players for the club

VvD will then be rated as average at best by the majority of saintsweb and the club praised and how could we compete with everton ffs.

the following week there will be talk about us winning the europa league and/or go for the champions league....

......or something along those lines, maybe

Inspirational.........twit...

Going to Everton.

He's waiting for the John Stones transfer to play out as he knows he's first choice to replace him, he's keeping his options open at the moment, especially while Celtic are still in the champions league and not keen to sell.

He'll be on bigger wages at a bigger club.

I don't expect us to sign him unless the stones transfer doesn't go ahead.

I thought Celtic has made it clear that they are not selling to anyone until they have qualified or failed to qualify for the Champions League group phase.

Everton may be a bigger club that we are by history but right now they do not appear to be a better destination than Southampton. They certainly do not seem to have any significant financial advantages over us and we can pay the same kind of salaries they can. I have no idea whether Van Dijk knows that he is Everton's first choice to replace Stones, but I suspect that whatever he knows about Everton's interest in him, he also knows about our interest in him (assuming we are, if we are not he undoubtedly knows that as well).

who then ? We didnt sign Toby, we had a loan agreement including a purchase clause with a hole wide enough to steer an aircraft carrier through.

There are signatures involved in getting a player on loan.

Jos wasnt good enough for the PL.

Lovren was a f**king mercenary.

Toby was a colossal f**k-up.

Fonte was years ago.

Lovren and Toby were very good for the club for a year and nine months respectively. Thus, their usefulness far outlasted that of any of your posted comments. Jos was signed for the Championship and was plenty good there.

i'd give any african's a wide berth

Why? There is no African Cup of Nations this year and worrying about January 2017 seems premature. Do you have some other issue with Africans? Perhaps some dark secret you are unwilling to publically acknowledge?

I have no idea whether Van Dijk knows that he is Everton's first choice to replace Stones, but I suspect that whatever he knows about Everton's interest in him, he also knows about our interest in him (assuming we are, if we are not he undoubtedly knows that as well).

giphy.gif